• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

j00t

Smash Champion
I like Fox's new shine. It looks great for shield pressure when Fox is in the air. And it ain't as busted as it was in Melee.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
@ Tarnish: That was a long (and informative) thread. Thanks. Defniitely worth the read if you have 10 minutes or so.

I still gotta figure out who I'm playing Friday night. And my friend said it's likely that we'll be showing up on Saturday. The earlier we start the longer we play...dunno how late he's willing to stay out. Someone take the initiative (cough, Coach, Moogle) and offer up a suggestion.

[Edit:]

Interesting stuff...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141632

Seems Diddy and Toon Link are pretty beastly. And I'll be God ****ED if Fox isn't good again...Marth seems to be the exact same (with a little more side B) sans the grab (thank the lord).

Zelda might be good...Sheik's been nerfed (again, thanks to whoever's throwing me a ****in' bone).

That's all, I'm done. Probably going to look at Metaknight and (<3) Olimar on Friday night. I know for sure that I'm not playing Ganon.

Sorry Ganon....we had fun, but I'mma need you to get the hell up outta here.

[Edit 2:]

One last thing...wasn't dash dancing out? If so...what the hell is all this **** that Luigi does towards the end of the match? Specifically, just right before 3 minutes.
Sensia/moogle/coach: If we could start early Saturday like say at 12 or 1 (or even earlier) i'd be eternally grateful, because like i said, i've got a birthday party i can't miss. But i really don't want to miss brawl >< oh and unlock falco before you come :p

Tarnish: Thanks for the awesome post, that got me even more excited about the game. How we'll each have to learn our own character. And man i can't wait to create my own falco style :p

Majist: I completely agree and feel the same way you do about brawl, how you don't want to make a decision that its bad just from other people's perspective. I suppose we'll get a little taste of it saturday, hopefully, and hopefully i'll be there to play it. SHDL ftw

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Newcomer here. I'm 26, live in Birmingham and Luigi is my main. The only real competition I have live in Tuscaloosa and Montgomery, so I'm always up for a good match if anyone in the area wants to get together.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
wow. another birminghamian. you guys are getting bigger than huntsville :O
Not when no one in Birmingham ever posts in the thread to get together.

As for you Midguy, I'd love to play you some time. If you know where Vulcan Gamebox is, I'm working the LAN Party from 12:00 tomorrow night to 10:00 a.m., and we could smash there.

T1J, are you coming to Birmingham? If so, how early do you want to leave? I'll need a few hours to sleep after working all night, but I should be fine around 2 or 3.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

As for you Midguy, I'd love to play you some time. If you know where Vulcan Gamebox is, I'm working the LAN Party from 12:00 tomorrow night to 10:00 a.m., and we could smash there.

T1J, are you coming to Birmingham? If so, how early do you want to leave? I'll need a few hours to sleep after working all night, but I should be fine around 2 or 3.
Saturday @ 2?

i'll should be there tomorrow, so that will work..i'll pm you my phone number

i didn't know there was a lan center in the bham area

Majist

Smash Journeyman
okay, what the hell is up with Ike?? does he just randomly fall on his face or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIN6AyemATI

this vid's quality isn't the best and the audio is out of sync, but just watch the match up to 0:25. at that point, ike starts to run, but falls and doesn't move, allowing marth to grab him. does that actually happen to ike or did the player just go into a 3 second seizure??

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
It's tripping. It seems to happen randomly whenever you start dashing. Hooray.

Gamebox has only been around for a little over half a year. If you want directions or something, you can visit the website here. Maybe Birmingham could host some tourneys there. ;)

Do we even have any confirmation on where we're playing Saturday? I need directions, so whoever's hosting PM me your address or something.

Sensai

Smash Master
Gonna send Moogle a text message now...I should have some amount of Brawl impressions tomorrow night.

Any requests as to who I play/report?

saintrage

Smash Cadet
I'd love a falco impression and i really want to know if hi shine spikes, becuase it sure seems that way.

Oh and welcome to the bama thread Midguy ^^

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Gonna send Moogle a text message now...I should have some amount of Brawl impressions tomorrow night.

Jiggs/Metaknight/Lucario are the ones I care about.

And is there going to be brawl in huntsville this weekend? I need to know for certain.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Nice...so not only can you select zss from the get go, you can switch to her at anytime during the match. doesn't look like you can switch back without a final smash though.

j00t

Smash Champion

Funny that, I actually have Brawl impressions at this moment. /hum

Midguy

Smash Cadet

Awesome. Your shift is Friday midnight to Saturday morning, right? I may swing by with my friend from Montgomery if he comes to town this weekend. I'm no pro by any means, but we're both pretty decent and love to play. I'll shoot you a PM or something later today to let you know if you should expect us.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Awesome. Your shift is Friday midnight to Saturday morning, right? I may swing by with my friend from Montgomery if he comes to town this weekend. I'm no pro by any means, but we're both pretty decent and love to play. I'll shoot you a PM or something later today to let you know if you should expect us.
hey i might come around there too

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Yeah, that's my shift. The only problem is that it's $20 to get into the LAN party. Otherwise it'd be cool. Alternatively, I guess you could ride with some of us from Birmingham going to Huntsville Saturday. Chances are that Brawl will be there.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's my shift. The only problem is that it's $20 to get into the LAN party. Otherwise it'd be cool. Alternatively, I guess you could ride with some of us from Birmingham going to Huntsville Saturday. Chances are that Brawl will be there.
Just got off the phone with my friend and we'll both be there tonight.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Funny that, I actually have Brawl impressions at this moment. /hum
yeah for real. that thread that Tarnish posted pretty much summed everything up for us. I talked to Brandon and Marty (GA Peach) cuz they've played it (they're going to play it all this weekend too >_< ) and everything that they've said about brawl is on that list. so, wooooo...

i still wanna play though. Sensai, we must KNOW!! i reeeeeally hope ganon is still playable, at least.

Sensai

Smash Master
Clearly, the Internet is not lacking any Smash news nor character reviews. But most of them come from impartial people who none of us know personally. Given...people like Chad and IHSB we know, but they haven't given character impressions.

I ask so that you can get more specifics on the characters you want. In the sea of information, you have 19:75939292040 people asking for 2838440505 things. This is 10 of us, asking for just a few things.

Clearly, Joot, we all have sources. :-)

Humanities sucks.

Rob: No More Heroes is definitely worth the buy. The Tarantino (spelling) of gaming delivers in spades.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Here's some character impressions I gave on the Luigi board:
I played him a lot yesterday, and I won more matches with him than any other character. But that probably has to do with how 1) all of us playing were completely new to Brawl and 2) he's so much like his Melee counterpart, which I used a lot.

Random observations:
- His sex kick is just as high priority and powerful as it was in Melee. With how fast/high he jumps, he can combo with it on a variety of characters, and it's a great KO move because killing off the top is MUCH easier than off the side.
- His back air seems to have more range, and the initial kick has a lot of power.
- His uair seems easier to juggle with (not exactly "combo" because they can shake out, it's just hard to avoid coming down)
- His upB out of shield is amazing, and works on most dash attacks.
- The chop (fair) is weakened some. So is his dair.
- His dash attack is actually usable, because the last hit sends them away.
- Utilt combos nicely at low %s
- Upsmash has a huge hitbox, even bigger than Melee's. It also works out of shield if they land behind you.
- Fireballs come out really fast, and are great for distance pressure. They also make a really cool shotgun sound when they come out XD.
- Misfires aren't as powerful.
- DownB slides really far still, so it's a decent fast approach. Just don't expect to combo out of it. It's also really easy to get height with it in the air.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Hurray !!!

My Gamecrazy is doing a midnight tournament sale for Brawl. A Melee tournament before Brawl is awesomeness ( if anyone actually shows up ).

Majist

Smash Journeyman
quick curious question, IHSB: is luigi's voice still a higher-pitched version of mario's voice, or does he actually have "luigi's" voice?

it's been bugging me for some odd reason. :grin:

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Aren't they voiced by the same person, so it wouldn't really make a difference?

But Luigi definitely says different things than Mario, so I don't think his sounds could possibly be Mario's sped up. Like, in one of his victory taunts he pretends to fire his hands like guns and says "Bang bang!" in a very Luigish voice, whereas Mario doesn't have anything like that.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Sensai.

1. Are you bringing Brawl to HSV? If so, when? PM if it's on the DL.

2. I want to know the specifics of Snake's C4 (down+b). It's properties are recently discussed, but poorly explained. Things to investigate: general edgeguarding potential, C4 placement on edge, dropping C4 in the air, dropping C4 in the air onto enemies, detonating C4 that is still falling, planting C4 on enemies, etc. Just play around with the move and have something to say.

Sensai

Smash Master
Thanks IHSB. I guess we do have impartial character reviews, my bad.

Everyone: Brawl isn't being 'brought' to Huntsville so much as it's being 'brought' to you. I'm in town as we speak (typing on my sister's gross pink laptop) and my friend from here has it. It's just a matter of whether or not we get a place.

Also: I'll be playing in about an hour.

Bad news...I have to go celebrate my sister's birthday tomorrow night...so who knows how long, if even, Brawl time'll be.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
^^that made me lol.

sensai, if you don't have a place, call me!!! i have a place in south huntsville!!! for the love of god, i must see this game!!!!!! has moogle/coach said anything?

we SHALL FIND A WAY.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Dude, where is Brawl going to be? I hardly check the Alabama thread, but I just saw all of this. If it is any where near where I live, I have an empty house. We could play there. That's if everyone wanted to do that.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Sensai i just want to play this game for like a few hours. my place isn't centrally located in huntsville, its more out of the way. but please pm me your number cause i'll be in town tomorrow afternoon, and we'll either go to shannon's or it would be awesome if i could just come play at where your staying.

If its to much of an inconvenience thats fine, but we could probably get a hold of Rob (i have his number) and play at his place if all else fails. I'd love you forever sensai :p

Munkus:Dude thats awesome congratulations ^^

Sensai

Smash Master
Firstly, congrats Munkus.

Secondly, I'm not really sure what's going on tomorrow. It seems like you guys all want to, but I'm not sure that I'm going to be free when everyone would be available nor has my friend even given the yes or no. As of this writing, 3.30, he's still up....he might not feel like it. And, as ****ty as it is, I think we have to accept it. I'm trying my best guys, I promise. If any of you guys could PM me a place where we could possibly do it, that'd be great.

On to the partial review...or rather, my first impressions of the game.

In a word: disorienting. Very very much so. Guys, listen when I say this: it is a COMPLETELY different game then Melee. There is VERY little that transfers in terms of technical skill. Mind games and stuff is sorta different in that it's still viable in some way or another even if dash dancing and WD are out. All that technical stuff...gone (sorry Joot).

Like I said, it's a completely different game then Melee. Hell, it's drastically different then Melee and the 64 one. But, and here's why it's weird, it won't stop you from playing like Melee or 64. Your fingers automatically hit down L. You still try to dash dance (it was the first thing I tried to do). You'll find that you every once in a while try to wavedash. It doesn't work. Any of it.

Given, this is all old news. I figure most of everything I talk about will be old news told from a different viewpoint. One thing that I haven't seen anywhere is that airdodging is weird. It's not how you've come to know it...in Melee you can airdodge in a direction whereas in Brawl...you just can't. Well, sorta. If you've already jumped twice you can't. You can waste a jump on it, but if you've already used both you just kinda....I dunno. Dodge, for lack of better word. It looks almost the exact same as regular falling except you don't get hit. I did it a LOT by sheer accident.

All the characters are super floaty and jump crazy high. It's evident in videos...but it's much weirder when you play. They all recover MUCH quiker then they did in Melee...not quite like Luigi but getting there. They all seem to do a lot less damage and be much heavier (meaning they need a higher percentage to die), probably due to the fact that DI in this game is INSANE. Seriously...if you can't DI well or often get caught DIing poorly, goodluck. On the same note, everytime a big move hits (see: the Knee, Zelda's fair/bair) it stops for quite a bit...you would have to be slightly insane to not be able to DI correctly in the given time.

Rolling off the ledge to extend the amount of time that the game registers you on it no longer works, nor does it really have to. The game is made so that it encourages players to get back to the stage. UpB's auto catch the ledge, rolling animation or whatever is short and, mostly, the characters have amazing recoveries. The exception is those who rely solely on tethers to get back (Olimar and to a lesser extent ZSS)....these guys get hurt. It's just not a very well thought out mechanic.

I think, as most people will when they play the game, that Final Smashes are absurd beyond belief, whether they be too good (Marth, Pit) or just plain stupid (DK, Kirby). I see items once again being banned along with the majority of the stages. Most of the new ones focus more on moving then most people like. Not quite like Icicle Mountain...more like Mute City.

Speaking of characters:

Yoshi: is weird. I played him once and couldn't even pretend I enjoyed it. With DJC gone, he's so foreign and so....I dunno. Crippled. He still can't jump out of his shield and with analog shielding gone (meaning, no light shielding) you can't slide across the levels.

Falco: is also weird. (I think you're going to see that word come up quite a bit.) He's closer to his Melee form then Yoshi is in terms of style of play, but there are moveset changes. The biggest one is his shine, which no longer hits up. In fact, it like, shoots out in front of Falco when he uses it. You've all seen it. It could maybe be used for shinespiking, but it'd have to be pretty gutsy. Think the equivalent of a Ganon uptilt in Melee. Definitely something to say 'I'm owning you.' He can DSHL, sorta, in the sense he can get two shots off per short hop, but they are both level and slightly above a player.

Metaknight is probably one of my favorite characters, the problem being that he doesn't have many kill moves. The move I found myself killing most often with was (get this) his Up B move...jeah. I think that if someone could really get a hold of him he'd be amazing at juggling, but with only a few hours logged into the game, much less him, it's out of my league.

Ike is likely my new main. He's the closest thing to Ganon as the game gets (so far, mind you). It doesn't seem like any of the characters do enough damage, though, with Ike only getting 15% or so per hit (and considering you can survive to like 150% or so...). He's definitely one of the better characters, IMO.

Marth is the exact same sans the stupid grab range and the amazingly long Fsmash. Really. In fact, it might even be easier to juggle people with fairs now.

Sheik is pretty much the same without chainthrows from what I saw....honestly, I didn't play much of her. Eh, call it an old grudge.

Zelda is much more useful this time around, although her Up B seems shorter (aw). Her grab is fixed, thank God, and utilizing those two moves makes her not all that bad.

Falcon is the same as before, except the Knee's a little worse. Um...Nair still does the same thing....really, it's the same character. Fast as hell and still strong. The omission of dashdancing really REALLY hurts him, IMO.

DeDeDe is going to be a force to be reckoned with and will single handedly cause quite a few stages to be banned. This guy was the second guy I played and the FIRST thing that happened was I zero to deathed someone with a chaingrab. It's really, honestly, pretty silly. Expect any level with a vertical wall to be banned because of this guy.

Pit's an interesting guy who has the most bat**** insane recovery I've ever seen. Combine this with the amazing increase in DIability for moves (y'know what I mean) and you have a character who's worse then Samus in Melee; if you don't kill Pit via an explosion, he's not going to be dead.

Pokemon Trainer seems to be good...didn't get much time with him. Squirtle seems really good...like, really really good. Fast as hell. The other two, especially Charizard, fall behind Squirtle in terms of usefulness....but they're still playable.

I didn't play Pikachu. Sorry. :-/

Luigi has my vote for most improved character so far. In fact, out of the returning characters, he seems to be one of the few who got an upgrade. Go read IHSB's impressions up above.

I don't have much to say about Link. He's almost the same, except that with all the added floaty and jumping ability..he actually ends up not too bad. Probably going to be about the same place on the tier list as he was in Melee.

Olimar is a weird guy. I went in tonight thinking that I'd play him no matter what and came out, again, disoriented. It's just weird. The need for Pikmin is understandable in his situation, but ALL of his moves are based on them and based on what color they are. So, some attacks can be amazing and ****ty depending on the color of the Pikmin you happened to have come next.

Fox is going to be good again. The UpSmash has probably been nerfed but I didn't notice it. I don't recall the UpAir. The shine is still pretty good...comes out quick and goes away quick. It's definitely not going to be busted as hell like the Melee counterpart, but it's still viable. I expect him up there again.

Bowser is either going to be great or absolute rubbish depending on how the metagame develops. He's been sped up just a smidge (specifically his Fsmash) and left as was. His UpB is still one of the better moves in the game. The problem is that, without the L-Cancelling, every move he misses is a HUGE miss usually resulting in a ton of damage.

Samus is very much the same but crippled due to the exclusion of the wavedash. Really...load up Melee and try to play Samus without WDing (shut up, I know Aniki does it). It's just weird.

ZSS is pretty good. She's not a new Shiek as many, myself included, feared she would be. She is definitely on the more 'I can combo' side of things.

DK was not played by anyone, actually. I have no idea what he's up to.

Diddy, though, is fast. I never got much experience with him, but I can see the potential to be good in him. I figure he'll be amongst the upper half of the characters.

Sadly, I couldn't play Ganon, Jiggs, Lucario, Snake, Sonic, etc....he JUST got the game working like a day ago and hasn't been playing much with college. That's all the characters I can remember...I probably missed one. Like Ice Climbers (I didn't get to play them much; I don't know if they can desync). Or....Ness, or Lucas. Etc. You get it. Just ask if you wanna know, but don't expect too much. If I didn't mention 'em, it's probably 'cause I don't know much about it (you can tell: as the list gets towards the end, things get shorter. I ran outta memory, so to speak).

I know this has been a very scatter-shot first impressions, but it's pretty late and I'm falling asleep at my keyboard. I may edit it and clean it a little tomorrow, but ask questions and I'll do my best to answer.

But know this: this is not Melee 2.0, regardless of how we feel inclined to play. It's not fast. It's floaty and everyone jumps seven stories. Comboing isn't gone as some extremists would have you believe, but it's definitely not nearly as big a factor.

I hope that we discover a lot more depth in the game. If we don't, I fear it might be that people just stick with Melee as the definitive competitive Smash game.

coach

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and I just got into law school guys.

Go munkus.
Grats. When your rich and famous and need a good laugh just keep me alive. I dont even know if I'm funny to you.

About smash, it's 4:21 AM right now and im about to go to sleep. we have a wii here with brawl. So if sensai wants to make it 2 setups by all means. phone either of us up hopefully not too early, but we'll wake up and let you mess around or something.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
****, if I can get my *** up in the morning, we might be able to play at my place.

Nice, big TV.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Had fun mixing it up with GeorgeTHPS tonight. Would love to get the chance to play some of you guys from Tuscaloosa and Huntsville. Hit me up whenever, I'm usually willing to make a drive on the weekends to smash it up.

And oh yeah, grats munkus.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Shannon, give me a call on my cell if it turns out something is happening today, cause otherwise I'm just gonna sleep for a while.

Top Bottom