• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
and that game is almost as dumb as smash.
smash bros sux guys

"Don't Get Hit" is viable in smash, because its easy to not get hit, because the game is built to make bad players better. "Don't Get Hit" is not a viable strategy in any other game because there is too much going on, too many mechanics to understand, too many mixups to deal with. You can't get by simply by "not getting hit". You can in smash.
t1j never got hit in smash bros

in fact high level play is all about not getting hit and baiting your opponent into SDing trying to not get hit

there is never anything going on in smash bros. there are no mixups in smash bros because all you do is run away.

in terms of cheap's question, melee is, for one, the most technical fighting game I've ever played. and being good at the game requires a certain level of technical ability, which all games do, but it is exaggerated in melee. blockstrings are dumbed down in smash because there is no hi/lo mixup. basically either you learn
something thats safe to do, or you get shield grabbed. In general its a bad idea to attack someone's shield in smash.
wow this is entirely wrong but it's ok because t1j never learned how to shield pressure anyway :dazwa:

In other games, its essential to learn how to get around a block. in smash you get around a block by grabbing or just not doing anything. and they can't do anything about that unless they predict the grab. So basically you can grab, do something safe, or not do anything. These are easily resolved dilemmas. In SF for example, when you're blocking you have to be prepared to deal with mixups including hi/mid/low attacks, crossups, and be prepared to tech throws. similarly, crossups are different because the shield blocks both sides. obviously i'm not a melee pro, but it seems like the primary reason to cross someone up is to provide pressure while avoiding getting shield grabbed, not to set up a combo or blockstring.
except you know, shielding is a disadvantageous position but that doesn't matter because there are mid attacks in SF now apparently

I think the jist of what I'm saying is that in smash, there is almost always a safe option for everything. There is little creativity involved, you just run around and do safe stuff until you have a chance to do more damaging attacks. Some players play more aggressively, but that's not the optimal way to play smash.
lmao t1j is a top player

People talk about mindgames all the time, but I'm not even sure that ****'s even real in smash beyond simple baiting. When you get hit in smash its usually because their character did something overpowered or because you dont know enough about the game. I rarely am like, awe man you tricked me, or awe man i guessed wrong (as opposed to other good games, where those are the reason you got hit about 80% of the time). I believe the overwhelming majority of tournament matches are people trying to outgimmick each other, and there are very few matches where people are actually doing something creative and thoughtful. This is the only thing that kept me playing this game because i thought there was some level where it was actually competitive. But I dont know anymore.

Maybe it's just me though and i'm not compatible with this type of game. Ive played smash for years and really haven't gotten very good at it. But I get into other fighting games a hell of a lot quicker. they just make more sense to me.
this is the best part
be completely wrong and state opinion as fact

then say "maybe i just don't get it"

SleepyK

anyways t1j, i guess you're off to SRK now to join the rest of the smash haters.

have fun playing real games that actually require skill instead of a children's party game with no high level or intelligence whatsoever.

SleepyK

man i can't understand why the top players win all the time in smash bros

i mean everyone doesn't have to worry about anything o ther than running around doing safe stuff until they win right

everyone wins in smash bros

why isn't everyone a top player? they must just be not executing properly that's the only reason ever

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about talking this stuff in smash. You're changing the argument. I called you an elitist.

SleepyK

i mean i guess i am because i prefer FPS to any competitive gaming genre

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
sleepy k never understands or takes my arguments seriously or either intentionally misrepresents them for trolling purposes so I'm not really even going to get into that.

SleepyK

no those are legitimately your points

read your own post i even quoted the ****

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
no those are legitimately your points

read your own post i even quoted the ****
you quoted my posts, and then wrote some **** below it, that really had nothing to do with what i said.

but

thanks for telling me what my own argument is yo, i wasn't sure about it myself

SleepyK

i just highlighted how ridiculous your points were

but i guess you think they're legitimate reasons

just "move on" to real games and SRK pls

Hard Lemonade

Smash Rookie
anything where you compete can be competitive and utilize strategies, but there are widely varying levels of competition and there are some games that i would be willing to risk money playing and other I would not (like, Mario Party).
Yeah, and you choose what you like. Debate the merits of how deep a game is, not that it isn't competitive.

You don't have to learn combos in any smash game except arguably the first one. You CAN learn some ridiculous 0-deaths with falcon in melee if you want, but you can get by fine with simpler stuff.
Bull****. CGing is a combo. Gonzo Combo is, obviously, a combo. ROB has multiple INFINITES on him. Locks are combos. Multiple characters have specific combos in specific situations. Jab->Shoryuken is an example. Because they don't look like Street Fighter combos doesn't mean you don't have to learn them and they aren't combos. Drop that bull****.

If you want to say you don't have to learn combos in Smash, you don't have to learn them in any fighter and the extent to which that handicaps you is different in each game.

the wake up game in smash is not a mixup. tech/roll chasing can be done on reaction in most cases and is unavoidable unless the person doing it messes up, or the stage randomly gets in the way or something. tech chasing doesn't happen often in brawl, and in general you can just stand near a downed opponent and shield and there's nothing they can do about it but reset the position. these are not deep mechanics, this is not rock paper scissors. This is random mechanics that have easy solutions most of the time.
If tech chasing can be done on reaction, then it is a combo. Roll left/right, techroll left/right, rising attack, normal standup, tech up, and lay on the ground are all different options. I don't care if it's Brawl or Melee, the hard read gives you the advantage every time. How in the hell is it less deep than roll left, roll right, stand up block, stand up grab, stand up attack, stand up DP? Again, because it doesn't look like SF doesn't mean it isn't wake up games.

please don't even try to compare smash's character imbalances with street fighter. You're reaching really hard on this one. Obviously all games will have characters that are better than others, but there is no other respected fighting game where LITERALLY half the cast is tournament non-viable. that's absurd. Except Marvel 2, and that game is almost as dumb as smash.
Have you played that match-up I listed? How about Dan vs. Bison? It depends on your definition of tournament viable. Do you consider Pokemon Trainer unviable in tournament? In practicality, I do. Same with any character past a certain point on SF's tier list. Because Brawl has more characters, it has more unviable characters. Tough ****.

Even a character as good as Sagat, most of the basic game mechanics still APPLY to him. He still can be crossed up, he still can be mixed up, he still has to block mid attacks while standing etc. in smash, the character changes the whole game. Like in brawl, edgeguarding is one of the things you have to learn to do efficiently, but then you have a character like MK who basically can't be edgeguarded. and then you have a character like Snake or Diddy Kong who can PRODUCE ITEMS. (You know, those things that we TURN OFF so the game will be more competitive LOL?)
Okay? Diddy has a move that spawns bananas and MK is hard to edge guard. Rose has an ability that spawns orbs that create extended pressure strings and deal hard damage in combos and El Fuerte has movement options that most of the cast can't compare to. Character individuality has nothing to do with it and due to the differences in Smash and other fighters, character individuality will emerge in a different way.

"Don't Get Hit" is viable in smash, because its easy to not get hit, because the game is built to make bad players better. "Don't Get Hit" is not a viable strategy in any other game because there is too much going on, too many mechanics to understand, too many mixups to deal with. You can't get by simply by "not getting hit". You can in smash.
Bull****. I've never played you and had you "Not get hit." I've never played Reflex and had him "Not get hit." I'VE PLAYED ****ING M2K AND HE DIDN'T "NOT GET HIT!" The entire basic strategy of "Don't get hit" is the CORE strategy of EVERY fighting game. You've seen multiple Perfects in other games and I doubt you've ever seen a single one in smash.

I dont know why you hate mortal kombat, the series in general is dumb, but MK9 is a very well made and competitive game. I don't really understand why you disagree, especially since you've never really elaborated.
Exactly what I wanted you to say. I don't know about MK. The reason I don't play it is because it feels too slow compared to fighters I enjoy. I hate the concept of a block button. I don't like the general design behind any of the characters and the gore is a turn off for me. However, it's got a ****ty reputation and gets trashed by people who don't **** about it. Same as Brawl. Everyone keeps saying it's a shallow bad game and it's not. It's gotten to the point where smash players have started saying it as well. I have yet to see (this included) a reasonable explanation as to why the game is not as deep as any traditional fighter on the market. I want to ask you if you're saying it because you've come to that conclusion or because someone else told you as much.

in terms of cheap's question, melee is, for one, the most technical fighting game I've ever played. and being good at the game requires a certain level of technical ability, which all games do, but it is exaggerated in melee. blockstrings are dumbed down in smash because there is no hi/lo mixup. basically either you learn something thats safe to do, or you get shield grabbed. In general its a bad idea to attack someone's shield in smash. In other games, its essential to learn how to get around a block. in smash you get around a block by grabbing or just not doing anything. and they can't do anything about that unless they predict the grab. So basically you can grab, do something safe, or not do anything. These are easily resolved dilemmas. In SF for example, when you're blocking you have to be prepared to deal with mixups including hi/mid/low attacks, crossups, and be prepared to tech throws. similarly, crossups are different because the shield blocks both sides. obviously i'm not a melee pro, but it seems like the primary reason to cross someone up is to provide pressure while avoiding getting shield grabbed, not to set up a combo or blockstring.
Wha? Have you not heard of shield pressure? The shield in smash is limited and you've got to get out of it, especially in melee. There are different solutions to different situations, so you mix up your shield pressuring options (Including grabs), aim to make their shield inneffective or punish their attempt to escape whether it means reading/reacting to the roll/spotdodge or choosing the right option to defeat their attempt at going onto the offensive.

I think the jist of what I'm saying is that in smash, there is almost always a safe option for everything. There is little creativity involved, you just run around and do safe stuff until you have a chance to do more damaging attacks. Some players play more aggressively, but that's not the optimal way to play smash.
Do you not do safe things in SF4/MK9/MvC3 until you have a chance to punish a mistake with a more devestating attack? Think about blockstrings, what's the key there? It's safety and risk vs. reward. The only time you'll do something unsafe in a blockstring is when you think you can get away with it and that the potential reward is worth the risk. Now think about fireballs and pokes. Safe options that are trying to force a reaction out of an opponent. Why do they not equate?

People talk about mindgames all the time, but I'm not even sure that ****'s even real in smash beyond simple baiting. When you get hit in smash its usually because their character did something overpowered or because you dont know enough about the game. I rarely am like, awe man you tricked me, or awe man i guessed wrong (as opposed to other good games, where those are the reason you got hit about 80% of the time). I believe the overwhelming majority of tournament matches are people trying to outgimmick each other, and there are very few matches where people are actually doing something creative and thoughtful. This is the only thing that kept me playing this game because i thought there was some level where it was actually competitive. But I dont know anymore.
>Got hit because their character did something overpowered.
Please give me examples of things that are impossible to not get hit with and how it is overpowered.

Maybe it's just me though and i'm not compatible with this type of game. Ive played smash for years and really haven't gotten very good at it. But I get into other fighting games a hell of a lot quicker. they just make more sense to me.
Because their simpler. Because you don't have to keep in mind as many variables. It seems deeper because you can wrap your head around the options. Not being a ****, but you probably would be at the same stage playing traditional fighters for years. Fairly decent, but not a pro. Playing JWong, you'd get sunk just as fast and feel like you didn't know what to do against his options. I'm at that point and I get it. I'm working to fix it.

SleepyK

no clearly you don't understand smash is a really bad game where there are no options just running around you noob

real terror hue hue

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
What a fun thread

Hello all the Dgames people viewing this thread how are you all doing

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you guys are taking my points to the extreme literal just so you can argue against them, completely missing the point of what I'm trying to say.

and in many cases completely making up stuff.

For example, if you would, either of you, point out where I said "Smash is not competitive" or "smash takes no skill".

if I say its easy to not get hit, obviously I don't mean its possible to avoid any and all attacks sheesh. the phrase "DONT GET HIT" in general is a hyperbole. But when I refer to it, of course you take it literally. if you think that I am this stupid, and know this little about the game i resent the implication and do not want to have a discussion with you. (and you shouldn't want to have a discussion with me).

--
the extent at which not learning combos in smash handicaps you is virtually non-existent, and completely minimal at the very least (especially since doing damage isn't the primary goal). the extent at which not learning high damage combos in Marvel, MK9, and SF4 handicaps you is severe.

tech chasing isn't a combo because the character doesn't have to tech. But they still can't do anything to win any kind of mixup (unless you consider resetting to neutral "winning"). It's not a deep mechanic. It's not paper rock scissors. it's a random mechanic that is only useful to know about in terms of "i dont want this to happen to me because I have no options". The person who is not on the ground can always win the wake up game, obviously if you have a read you can go for a higher reward, but the point is that the mechanic is not deep when one person can always win.

I have loved the MK series since day 1, but I knew even as a scrub that it was a broken series. UMK3 was the closest thing to a competitive game they released, but it wasn't a very deep game. MK9 you notice instantly that it's different than the rest. its notable for not necessarily copying the Street Fighting formula, it requires a different knowledge set. There are competitive mechanics, the game is designed with paper rock scissors in mind. Most fighting games are! the old MK games werent and Smash isn't. There are some mechanics in smash that are paper rock scissors like the airdoge mixup. but in general its more about doing safe stuff until your opponent gives you an opening.

Everything you do in Street Fighter that helps you win carries a risk. In Smash, you don't have to take risks to win (if you play good characters) and in fact its good advice to take less risks in smash (and find ways to do things thats look risky, that aren't)

not being able to be edgeguarded in a game where edgeguarding is one of the fundamental aspects of gameplay is overpowered, its not just a quirk of the character. it's an unbalanced, game changing attribute.
being able to take your opponent to high percentage off of one grab is overpowered (in Brawl), because so few characters are able to do this, and no characters can really do anything about this, (except run away). There is no "counter" to getting chaingrabbed to 90 percent. This is obviously something that the game wasn't designed to have players deal with. Melee's DI system was a lot better than Brawl's in dealing with things like this. I didn't mention it before, but I would add melee's DI mechanic to the list of mechanics in smash that actually add depth to the game.

There's a difference between a character's uniqueness and a character completely changing the rules of the game. if Rose's orbs were unblockable and made you crumple, yeah that would be broken because that's not something that any character is designed to deal with. Or you could only damage Sagat with low attacks, that would be broken because the rules of the game have been changed in favor of one character. It's why Akuma is usually banned in Super Turbo, because he changes the rules of the game. This mainly only applies to the top tier in smash, but it gets to a point where your characters brokeness is as heavy a factor in whether you win as how much skill and game knowledge you have.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
JANITOR, YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

Mario Party is and always has been a wonderfully competitive and deep series that demands more than what you would first believe. The only reason people like YOU bad mouth it is because other people do so and you're following the group think before actually studying any of the finer points of the games.

j00t

Smash Champion
*walks into thread, planning to say hi*

OH HAI GAI----

*sees once again some stupid posts*

*shakes head and leaves*

SleepyK

it's really you pigeonholing your argument into the "smash isn't a traditional 2d fighter and i don't understand it so it's bad"

although some points about brawl are tru but i'm an elitist melee ******

SleepyK

dogy had a pretty cool solution for that - he found a controller with a programmable macro

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lol I sometimes feel that an argument has to go down in this threat at least once a week.

Janitor for troll mesiah

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
mindgames exist hardcore janitor.

every single move that you do in brawl counts twords something
every action requires an opposite reaction. like baiting is a mindgame. those are just really bad and simple ones. those are like mindgames 101. thats what i tell myself all the time
"you are doing mindgames, just really bad ones."
the possibilites are literally endless you are just playing it all wrong if you are not mindgaming.
thats why you can get beat by campers and you complain about them because yes, there literally is absolutely NO way to get in there succesfully without getting punished if your opponent is camping and you are not mindgaming. they will read every single approach because thats what they do. if you dont get read then you can approach and get in no matter how hard someone is camping.
and since camping is the norm in brawl, mindgames are pretty much the only option. i got my *** beat over and over again until i was forced to realize that the ONLY thing that will work on a high level in this game is mindgames.
but really EVERY move counts twords something. its about your opponent not you.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
and theres a reason why people talk about mindgames all the time.
why you say something like "the proffesional smash community talks about mindgames all the times but im pretty sure those dont exist"
>_>

the thing is you just dont understand them then, if you think they dont exist.

theres a reason why pros are winning tournaments then going and talking about mindgames.
sure you hear the term like ten million times a day. but that doesnt mean its just some cliche that the smash community picks up and talks about nonsenscially. it just means you dont understand what theyre saying so you are dismissing it as the prior.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
You got it backwards Gylph.
Also it's rare to see you outside the DR and OTL sub forums. :o

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Its true, I live a sheltered life here on SWF

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
but in all honesty im really wondering....arguably wouldnt that just mean that the fighters you are playing are more shallow games because you have come to terms with them easily and not brawl? the games are the variables here, not the mind itself.

but like when i was struggling with brawl i was always like "i dont get it i REAAALLY feel that im not playing this game right and i dont understand why i dont get it yet."
you should of just said that brah because thats about all the valid argument you can make without being a nub like "this game sucks because im not good at it. this game is good because i am good at it."

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i wasnt saying that brawl is bad because i'm not good at it. I'm terrible at SF4 but I still recognize it as a good game
and the thing is, pros don't talk about mindgames.

its us that talk about mindgames.

whens the last time you heard Dr. PP or m2k or ally or mango say some **** about AWWW YEAA THOSE MINDGAMESZZ

they never say any **** like that

smash is all gimmicks and game knowledge

an example of this is there's this thing that Reflex likes to do with Wario where he nairs into people's shield, nair stays out a long time and has very little lag but its still not really safe to do that. but people underestimate how long the move stays out and how little the lag is. So he rarely gets punished for it. in fact sometimes people drop their shield before the moves over. this **** works on good players I've seen Calvin and lou fall for it plenty of times. at first, I was like AWWW YEAA REFLEX MINDGAMMEEEZZ. but no that's just the opponent either falling into a gimmick or not knowing the game as much as Reflex. this was confirmed when i saw Reflex play M2K at ausom i think it was. M2K did not fall for that **** once.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
The rules are simple.

Don't argue about smash, or anything with Janitor.
Do not insult the homosexual community
Do not start a conversation concerning drugs

Usually those are our biggest arguments lol, avoid them and we are fun. :D

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i wasnt saying that brawl is bad because i'm not good at it. I'm terrible at SF4 but I still recognize it as a good game
and the thing is, pros don't talk about mindgames.

its us that talk about mindgames.

whens the last time you heard Dr. PP or m2k or ally or mango say some **** about AWWW YEAA THOSE MINDGAMESZZ

they never say any **** like that

smash is all gimmicks and game knowledge

an example of this is there's this thing that Reflex likes to do with Wario where he nairs into people's shield, nair stays out a long time and has very little lag but its still not really safe to do that. but people underestimate how long the move stays out and how little the lag is. So he rarely gets punished for it. in fact sometimes people drop their shield before the moves over. this **** works on good players I've seen Calvin and lou fall for it plenty of times. at first, I was like AWWW YEAA REFLEX MINDGAMMEEEZZ. but no that's just the opponent either falling into a gimmick or not knowing the game as much as Reflex. this was confirmed when i saw Reflex play M2K at ausom i think it was. M2K did not fall for that **** once.
that nair wario thing is not a mindgame in any way shape or form. you can just more or less feel if a player is going to shield it all the way or not. and plus dude that is just a nair. you have to look at the bigger picture. like how did he get in there to do that nair in the first place etc. etc.

and no, smash is all about gimmicks and game knowledge on a low level of play.
youre getting it all backwards.
if it were just about that, youd see a yoshi spamming pivot grab on mk in GF's and it working or a ddd continually rushing down and trying to grab against m2k and it working. the gimmicks only work on a low level of play. just like in SF and MVC. spamming haduken or air camping with phoenix only work on a low level of play. duh.

evvverybody talks about mindgames. how many times have you heard that brawl is an all mental game dude. tell me what they are talking about if they are not talking about mindgames? seibrik has his podcast thingy on STRICTLY the psychology of brawl and i am sitting here as we speak watching coney's ddd 3 stock m2k because he mindgamed the **** out of him. mindgames are literally close to the only thing that keeps brawl from just being a stalemate game of poking and spacing. which please do not say that it is.

dr pp and mango are always like that **** on commentary dude. they are always like "yeah hes gonna do this, he needs to react this way and throw him off" and talking about mindgames.

but first i think you need to learn a proper definition of mindgames beacause the wario nair thing is to a mindgame as what pizza is to a macbook.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I was just saying Brawl in itself is simple. I think it's just the way I perceive it. Like I can pick up smash and be like OK I have X moves I can do, now all I have to do is learn where they knock you too and be able to chase. When I played Soul Calibur, It was like errrrrrmmmm how do i remember this long string of attacks? It's simpler to play Smash to me instead of other fighters who have those strings. I know there are other things making ti a deeper game but I consider the face value of games to give it its simplicity.

I guess I'm saying it's simpler for me to learn smash then any other fighter.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
noo cam you have made it relationable : (((((((((((

also i just saw where you noted that that wasnt a mindgame kevin, but really thats not anything its just like im gonna go for the second hit and the person shileding it because he has played wario alot. not a fundamental point in the match at allll.

also yeah i see what youre saying mahg.

also did someone mention drugs? i cant really do opiates naymore without having to resort to rehab to get off of them because i dont want an addicition and i am on the verge of a physical addiction and waay past a mental one. im running out of drugs guys what am i suppose to do now? i just get bored with one. im over weed. over hallucenegens. and over opiates. someone tell me what to do. i want coke i guess bleeh

Top Bottom