• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Besides the silly ruleset, today was fun.

Also:

****ING REFLEX D:<

George too; GGs. I cracked hard third game.

:phone:

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
we need to se emore of you serin.
sorry for saying you suck alot today i was just playin

am i in that video cam? my computer cant load videos up sooo just tell me lol

ggs everyone it was alot of fun forreal today even though i wouldve liked to play more friendlies against pretty much everyone that was there.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Highlight of the day: Watching Serin eat multiple smashes that were easily avoided. Even if he was sandbagging it was a chuckle fest.

**** Metaknight

lol my match with Big Man was in the video. sweet

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
It was probably Slam. He was the only guy there with an Orange controller.

I kept asking him if he had it with him rofl

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
looool i wAs just like "whaaa..?"
but yeah thats me i think but its all good cuz i have another one.

janitor, they did the brackets REALLLLY bad and wouldnt change it that much. as you walked in they numbered you and basically ALL of SWF walked in at the same time and got numbers 1-15.

then in the brackets they just simply put number 1 versus number 2
number 3 against number 4
and so on

so like the entier first fourth of the bracket was us.

except elev8. he got himself moved to like number 40 because he sweet talked the guy :p

but yeah, i faced kola first round, george second, then kismet. and if i had beat kismet i wouldve faced reflex lol

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
The awesome thing about single-elimination brackets is that 3rd place is a tie.

Also, you forgot to mention that one half of the brackets had 31 players, and the other half had 8. Raf had the easiest ride to finals ever.

:phone:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Reflex and I did. I got to semis by just pushing buttons lol

Reflex won it, and he's the one who knocked me out as well.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yo why do we play a broken game series that we know for a fact is not designed to be balanced, and as a result, has absurd character imbalances and random game mechanics that don't really compliment each other?

I've been playing MK9 and SF4 and MVC3 a whole lot lately, and they are all such polished games, the mechanics makes sense, for every rock there is a paper for ever paper there is a scissors. You can tell the developers were conscious of what they were doing when they made the game. In smash brothers it seems like they blindfolded each other and throw darts at a dartboard when deciding character attributes. It makes me wonder why I'm wasting time on smash. I mean smash is fun, but because of the lack of a deep mechanical system, it's so frustratingly unbalanced and reliant on what character you have and what gimmicks you know. I'm not just talking about Brawl either, the other games are just the same. It's like in smash, basically your strategy is "don't get hit" and "punish mistakes" (and honestly "punishing mistakes" is optional. in brawl at least). And that's it. Once you learn how to do those things well you're good at smash. In SF for example, you have to learn how to use and deal with hi/lo mixups, blockstricks, max-damage combos, grab breaking, wakeup games, crossups, and a host of game-specific mechanics like focus attacks/cancels, reversals etc. In smash its like you space and you block and you attack and you grab. the only interesting mechanics in brawl are perhaps the airdodge mixup and the ledge mechanics (neither of which is very difficult to understand or deal with)

Do I just not understand smash brothers on a deep enough level?

Aloha

Smash Cadet
good **** reflex join srk son. where yo curly mustache at? way 2 get thrid geo dude! was it a great tourny over all?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
In a way Janitor, it's like asking people why they play Mario Kart over Gran Turismo/ Forza. It's player preference and we just enjoy the game that makes less sense in a game that makes better sense.

The tournament was fast to the point. Though I was a bit disheartened at how hesitant they were about letting the community edit rules. I mean they're willing to change the upcoming ones, but it would have made me feel a whole lot better if they could at least let us, the people who knew what they were doing, do a set that made it seem fair to us. Actually, if they would have given in and at least let us do double elimination, it would have been super. Then again, I'm no host there wasn't a venue fee, so I couldn't really complain lol.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I don't really know much about Gran Turismo as a competitive game but if its more competitive than mario kart, I would imagine that it would be preferable for tournaments.

iono It's just hard to imagine why people who are interested in a fair and balanced competitive matchup would prefer a game thats not fair or balanced. I think smash is way more fun than most other fighting games, but its also way less competitively balanced.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
yo why do we play a broken game series that we know for a fact is not designed to be balanced, and as a result, has absurd character imbalances and random game mechanics that don't really compliment each other?

I've been playing MK9 and SF4 and MVC3 a whole lot lately, and they are all such polished games, the mechanics makes sense, for every rock there is a paper for ever paper there is a scissors. You can tell the developers were conscious of what they were doing when they made the game. In smash brothers it seems like they blindfolded each other and throw darts at a dartboard when deciding character attributes.
This is all completely true. How balanced smash games will be is always completely random, while the games made for competition will always be polished and somewhat balanced.

It makes me wonder why I'm wasting time on smash. I mean smash is fun, but because of the lack of a deep mechanical system, it's so frustratingly unbalanced and reliant on what character you have and what gimmicks you know. I'm not just talking about Brawl either, the other games are just the same. It's like in smash, basically your strategy is "don't get hit" and "punish mistakes" (and honestly "punishing mistakes" is optional. in brawl at least). And that's it. Once you learn how to do those things well you're good at smash. In SF for example, you have to learn how to use and deal with hi/lo mixups, blockstricks, max-damage combos, grab breaking, wakeup games, crossups, and a host of game-specific mechanics like focus attacks/cancels, reversals etc. In smash its like you space and you block and you attack and you grab. the only interesting mechanics in brawl are perhaps the airdodge mixup and the ledge mechanics (neither of which is very difficult to understand or deal with)

Do I just not understand smash brothers on a deep enough level?
I don't know a great deal about non-smash fighting games, what exactly is there different between melee and other fighting games in terms of shield-pressure and blockstrings, combos, crossups, mindgames, specific cancels and ATs?

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
The beauty of Smash is that it's simple. I would love for it to be more balanced but it fine the way it is, besides MK and low tiers not being viable

Hard Lemonade

Smash Rookie
Anything is competitive. There's a tier list for Mario Party. If you don't want to play, then don't play and don't complain about it in front of me.

Now then, tell me how in the world the basic strategy for any fighting game can't be boiled down to "Don't get hit."

If you honestly think you can beat anyone who plays the game at a high level with a low tier character against their top tier character, you're sadly mistaken. Try playing E. Honda with Sakura and tell me where your scissors is for his paper. Tell me how it stacks up against everyone else's scissors and tell me that the game is completely balanced. I play El Fuerte who is in the straight up middle of the tier list and I LITERALLY cannot punish Balrog's spacing. You're exaggerating flaws on the grounds that other games don't have them when they do. Look at Sagat in vanilla SF4. What was fair about him?

In SF for example, you have to learn how to use and deal with hi/lo mixups, blockstricks, max-damage combos, grab breaking, wakeup games, crossups, and a host of game-specific mechanics like focus attacks/cancels, reversals etc. In smash its like you space and you block and you attack and you grab. the only interesting mechanics in brawl are perhaps the airdodge mixup and the ledge mechanics (neither of which is very difficult to understand or deal with)
So, in other words

In SF, you have to learn how to use and deal with hi/lo mixups, blockstricks, max-damage combos, grab breaking, wakeup games, crossups, and a host of game-specific mechanics like focus attacks/cancels, reversals etc.

In smash you have to learn how to do max-damage combos, grab avoidance, wake-up games (hint hint tech chasing), and a host of other game specific-things.

Please don't say that Smash is less deep because if anything, it's the opposite because of the variables provided by the stages, the ring-out, and the ledge.

~Ryker

Hard Lemonade

Smash Rookie
iono It's just hard to imagine why people who are interested in a fair and balanced competitive matchup would prefer a game thats not fair or balanced. I think smash is way more fun than most other fighting games, but its also way less competitively balanced.
/shrug

You apparently like Mortal Kombat.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
well i think if you just straight up fight/space in brawl you are basically rendered incapable of doing anything and completely shutdown if your opponent plays defense.

so like you gotta mindgame mad hard to get in there and fight.

in fighting games it just kinda runs smooth after the first hit but getting the first hit in is what its about i feel like but im not gooooood at fighting games in particualr sooooo idk but this is how it seems to me anyways.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
The beauty of Smash is that it's simple. I would love for it to be more balanced but it fine the way it is, besides MK and low tiers not being viable
the beauty of smash is that it's simple to get into

then you play competitively and it's pretty darn deep

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
too long, don't read
anything where you compete can be competitive and utilize strategies, but there are widely varying levels of competition and there are some games that i would be willing to risk money playing and other I would not (like, Mario Party).
You don't have to learn combos in any smash game except arguably the first one. You CAN learn some ridiculous 0-deaths with falcon in melee if you want, but you can get by fine with simpler stuff.
the wake up game in smash is not a mixup. tech/roll chasing can be done on reaction in most cases and is unavoidable unless the person doing it messes up, or the stage randomly gets in the way or something. tech chasing doesn't happen often in brawl, and in general you can just stand near a downed opponent and shield and there's nothing they can do about it but reset the position. these are not deep mechanics, this is not rock paper scissors. This is random mechanics that have easy solutions most of the time.

please don't even try to compare smash's character imbalances with street fighter. You're reaching really hard on this one. Obviously all games will have characters that are better than others, but there is no other respected fighting game where LITERALLY half the cast is tournament non-viable. that's absurd. Except Marvel 2, and even that game is less dumb than smash, just unfortunately in tournaments its basically a game with like 6 characters.
Even a character as good as Sagat, most of the basic game mechanics still APPLY to him. He still can be crossed up, he still can be mixed up, he still has to block mid attacks while standing etc. in smash, the character changes the whole game. Like in brawl, edgeguarding is one of the things you have to learn to do efficiently, but then you have a character like MK who basically can't be edgeguarded. and then you have a character like Snake or Diddy Kong who can PRODUCE ITEMS. (You know, those things that we TURN OFF so the game will be more competitive LOL?). The funny thing is, Capcom actually admitted that Sagat was too good lol. THEY ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT MAKING COMPETITIVE GAMES LOL

"Don't Get Hit" is viable in smash, because its easy to not get hit, because the game is built to make bad players better. "Don't Get Hit" is not a viable strategy in any other game because there is too much going on, too many mechanics to understand, too many mixups to deal with. You can't get by simply by "not getting hit". You can in smash.

I dont know why you hate mortal kombat, the series in general is dumb, but MK9 is a very well made and competitive game. I don't really understand why you disagree, especially since you've never really elaborated.

in terms of cheap's question, melee is, for one, the most technical fighting game I've ever played. and being good at the game requires a certain level of technical ability, which all games do, but it is exaggerated in melee. blockstrings are dumbed down in smash because there is no hi/lo mixup. basically either you learn something thats safe to do, or you get shield grabbed. In general its a bad idea to attack someone's shield in smash. In other games, its essential to learn how to get around a block. in smash you get around a block by grabbing or just not doing anything. and they can't do anything about that unless they predict the grab. So basically you can grab, do something safe, or not do anything. These are easily resolved dilemmas. In SF for example, when you're blocking you have to be prepared to deal with mixups including hi/mid/low attacks, crossups, and be prepared to tech throws. similarly, crossups are different because the shield blocks both sides. obviously i'm not a melee pro, but it seems like the primary reason to cross someone up is to provide pressure while avoiding getting shield grabbed, not to set up a combo or blockstring.

I think the jist of what I'm saying is that in smash, there is almost always a safe option for everything, there's very little paper rock scissors. You just pick a good character and do broken safe stuff. There is little creativity involved, you just run around and do safe stuff until you have a chance to do more damaging attacks. Some players play more aggressively, but that's not the optimal way to play smash.

People talk about mindgames all the time, but I'm not even sure that ****'s even real in smash beyond simple baiting. When you get hit in smash its usually because their character did something overpowered or because you dont know enough about the game. I rarely am like, awe man you tricked me, or awe man i guessed wrong (as opposed to other good games, where those are the reason you got hit about 80% of the time). I believe the overwhelming majority of tournament matches are people trying to outgimmick each other, and there are very few matches where people are actually doing something creative and thoughtful. This is the only thing that kept me playing this game because i thought there was some level where it was actually competitive. But I dont know anymore.

Maybe it's just me though and i'm not compatible with this type of game. Ive played smash for years and really haven't gotten very good at it. But I get into other fighting games a hell of a lot quicker. they just make more sense to me.

Top Bottom