• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
You're shield won't work because you have no idea who to defend yourself from.

W00t for more misunderstandings.

Geez, I thought you guys would understand the nuances of forums, or, at the very least, my sister, but please allow me to clarify:

She is using hyperbole to mock Janitologic

If it is impossible for anti-hype to hinder a tournament then inversely it is impossible for hype to help a tournament. Right, Kevin?

Btw, I may have used the word inversely wrong. Russ, you know math, was inversely used correctly?
I didn't direct my post at anyone really, which is why I didn't quote anyone in particular. so i guess you're right I have no one to defend from lol

In the end, it seems like it's t1j saying stuff...and then Super AL Argument Bros

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman

People, calm down, Obama's got this.

Subject change bc Mike is posting:

For Halloween I'm dressing in total 80s gear.
I'm talking big jewelry, side pony, haauuugggeee heels-4in., the cutest skirt with a red skirt topper, some pantyhose sleeves, and a "Get a Life" Mario 1up hot pink shirt.

Pretty hawt.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Is Jason being sarcastic or has this really just set him off? You gotta use the smileys bro it makes any post better.

I mean if I said

STFU you ****ing ***** *** nublet

It'd seem offensive

but if I said STFU you ****ing ***** *** nublet xD
it seems like a Kola post that has no hate at all.

:3 I love pie, and Emily stop making your mom mad so Matt can come over D:

Oh and I'm "gelling" my hair back for school on the 31st, it was a request.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
For Halloween I'm dressing in total 80s gear.
I'm talking big jewelry, side pony, haauuugggeee heels-4in., the cutest skirt with a red skirt topper, some pantyhose sleeves, and a "Get a Life" Mario 1up hot pink shirt.

Pretty hawt.
likelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelike

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
the last Waba pretty much killed any momentum for traveling far for a tournament for me. I'm going to actually travel to tournaments when I have the money and SKILL to do so. Thus making Daphne tournament a no for me.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
They should know better when it comes to that honestly. =S

If it's in the rules they really shouldn't be mad if they get dq'd
Bingo Bongo.

What's the worst thing that could happen? You get a reputation for actually starting on time?

Gee golly horsefeathers.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I didn't direct my post at anyone really, which is why I didn't quote anyone in particular. so i guess you're right I have no one to defend from lol

In the end, it seems like it's t1j saying stuff...and then Super AL Argument Bros
I love how it's always t1j is the cause of everything. I didn't even say anything. Or start a debate or anything. I made a casual joke and zero went tekkaman blade on me

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
"In the end, it seems like it's t1j saying stuff...and then Super AL Argument Bros"

That is just what it meant. You said something(a joke as you say). and then AL(I guess Zero in this case) went Argument mode.

This is coming my perspective. lol I wasn't really pointing fingers.

*I'm just gonna raise def on my next lvl up*

Now watch Zero attack me in his next post LOL

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Bingo Bongo.

What's the worst thing that could happen? You get a reputation for actually starting on time?

Gee golly horsefeathers.
The worst that could happen that you end up with a 5 man round robin bc you dq'd everyone. This is not even an exaggeration. I think if I ever run a tourney again I will try your idea of a door fee or higher door fee for late arrivals and see if that deters ppl

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Geez, I thought you guys would understand the nuances of forums, or, at the very least, my sister, but please allow me to clarify:

She is using hyperbole to mock Janitologic

If it is impossible for anti-hype to hinder a tournament then inversely it is impossible for hype to help a tournament. Right, Kevin?

Btw, I may have used the word inversely wrong. Russ, you know math, was inversely used correctly?
this is a trying to sound smart fail.
like... really bad fail. XD

lol yes for kola logic. i like it XD

yalll... duchik aint got nothin on Mike G

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Hi

I'd really love to join in on this stuff, but the fact I have to actually try in school now is killing me. I'd like to play some SC2 with someone, but I suck. Is there any solution to becoming better in sc2 that doesn't require playing a lot?

Oh, sup argument. The few tournaments I actually did go to, I brought a set-up and showed up hilariously early. It's true, I laughed.

I kind of want to go to that tournament in Ensley, but I get off of work at around 3, so I might show up late and hang out.

I still want an arcade.

See you guys in about a week when I decide I should look at this thread again. =\

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Hi

I'd really love to join in on this stuff, but the fact I have to actually try in school now is killing me. I'd like to play some SC2 with someone, but I suck. Is there any solution to becoming better in sc2 that doesn't require playing a lot?

Oh, sup argument. The few tournaments I actually did go to, I brought a set-up and showed up hilariously early. It's true, I laughed.

I kind of want to go to that tournament in Ensley, but I get off of work at around 3, so I might show up late and hang out.

I still want an arcade.

See you guys in about a week when I decide I should look at this thread again. =\
I know you post on SRK. Come to Ensley and I'll teach you how to play fighting games.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
My unholy coolness is preventing me from going anywhere this weekend.

Thursday: Visitor from out of town
Friday: Huge *** Halloween party at my house
Saturday: Rocky Horror Picture Show

...but I'll try and make it out to one sometime soon, I swear <3

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'm not sure if this supposed to be serious logic, but...no.

that's like saying
"if its impossible for this burrito I'm eating to kill me, then it is also impossible for me not eating the burrito to result in me not dying"

which is obviously not correct, because it can be impossible for the burrito to kill me while at the same time being POSSIBLE (and likely imo) that not eating it will not kill me.

just as, it can be impossible for anti-hype to kill a tournament while at the same time hype helping a tournament.

i mean that's obviously possible, i dont know i thik i'm being trolled again

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this supposed to be serious logic, but...no.

that's like saying
"if its impossible for this burrito I'm eating to kill me, then it is also impossible for me not eating the burrito to result in me not dying"

which is obviously not correct, because it can be impossible for the burrito to kill me while at the same time being POSSIBLE (and likely imo) that not eating it will not kill me.

just as, it can be impossible for anti-hype to kill a tournament while at the same time hype helping a tournament.

i mean that's obviously possible, i dont know i thik i'm being trolled again

I wish I could remember what the term is for this kind of logic, but it can easily be wrong depending on the context.

Wrong:
God is love.
Love is blind.
Ray Charles is blind.
Ray Charles is God.

Right:
All Peach mains are gay.
Cheap Peach mains Peach.
Cheap Peach is gay.

Also, the word "can" should not be placed near the word "impossible." "Can" implies possibility and it is indeed possible for a burrito to kill you (choking). Thanks for the correction on inverse logic though.

Regardless, the context in which I was speaking makes sense.

Edit: XD

X the Derp

Smash Apprentice
Lol, T1J is the guy with a huge gatling gun shooting in EVERY SINGLE DIRECTION (spams posts constantly) and Zero's the guy with a rifle, shooting sometimes and causing arguements. XD

Kola logic seems kinda gay...

Oh, and there called conditionals (if p, then q) if you're speaking math, Zero.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lol yes yes xD everyone will use the smiley!

Kola logic isn't gay Matt

No I haven't gotten my haircut yet, I'll be doing it Friday evening so I can partake in the school Halloween dress up day and what not so I can do the said request.

I love this thread~

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I wish I could remember what the term is for this kind of logic, but it can easily be wrong depending on the context.

Wrong:
God is love.
Love is blind.
Ray Charles is blind.
Ray Charles is God.

Right:
All Peach mains are gay.
Cheap Peach mains Peach.
Cheap Peach is gay.

Also, the word "can" should not be placed near the word "impossible." "Can" implies possibility and it is indeed possible for a burrito to kill you (choking). Thanks for the correction on inverse logic though.

Regardless, the context in which I was speaking makes sense.

Edit: XD
when i said "can", i meant in the context of the hyptothetical example i was using. Not in terms of real life.

and, no what you're saying doesn't make sense.

i didn't mean to get all logic nerd in here buttt

the example you provided is that of a "false analogy" which really doesn't apply here, so I suspect you are thinking of a logical fallacy called "denying the antecedent"...which happens to be the exact fallacy you're using.

what you're trying to say (i think) is that my argument leads to an absurd conclusion (that hyping doesn't help tournaments), therefore my argument is invalid (which is a legit form of arguments called reductio ad absurdium), but the logic you use to reach this absurdity is invalid.

the form of denying the antecedent goes like this:
if P then Q
not P
therefore not Q

this is an invalid form.
an example of why this is invalid:

"If it is Kevin playing you, you will fight a Snake.
It is not Kevin playing, therefore you will not fight a Snake"

obviously this is invalid, as you may very well fight another snake player.

so, say P = NOT HYPE and Q = NOT HURT (we have to use this weird syntax in order for the form to make sense, but you get the idea)

then my argument is expressed in line 1: if P, then Q, or
1. if NOT HYPE, then NOT HURT (if you anti hype, you don't hurt a tournament)

so line 2 would be "say we NOT NOT HYPE (which is the same as saying "say we HYPE")
line 3: therefore "NOT NOT HURT" (or "thefefore we HURT")

so your full logic is this
1. if I NOT HYPE a tournament, then i DON'T HURT the tourney. (this is my argument)
2. well, that means if I HYPE
3. then i HURT

and since that's obviously not true, you are saying that premise 1 is false.

BUT as mentioned above, you are using an invalid argument form to come to that conclusion. (denial of the antecedent)

so, in conclusion
no.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I see. So the logic I used in my arguments may been incorrect.

But would you honestly, without a doubt, believe that attaching negativity to something could not cause others to see it negatively as well, regardless of origin? That's what this whole argument has been about.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I see. So the logic I used in my arguments may been incorrect.

But would you honestly, without a doubt, believe that attaching negativity to something could not cause others to see it negatively as well, regardless of origin? That's what this whole argument has been about.
Yes, but as I implied earlier, in the case of Alabama's brawl scene in particular, I believe it to be highly unlikely that a post or two from one or two smashers contributes in any significant way to our tournament hype or attendance.
I don't know I guess you disagree with that. I think we've got bigger problems than shaslam trolling the alabama thread lawl

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its weird how people in this thread encourage debates when they are actually offensive and silly

but the moment they actually get serious and civil people start screaming OMG GUYS STOP DISAGREEING GEEZ

Top Bottom