• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
All right, Zero and Cheap, be there when I get there tonight.

T1J, I'll teach you Barlw if you can make yourself accessible.

I want to try to pick up Pikachu. I think there's a lot of untapped potential in the rat. Oh and stupid chaingrabs.

Funny fact, Captain Falcon can chain grab to sweet spot knee Meta Knight with grab releases. Too bad it doesn't really impact the matchup.
i will be getting a new car soon
so i will be more available.

pikachu will be the new ice climbers prob if someone really wants to do it.
except better since there's no separation tactics.

pikachu is one of my least favorite characters to fight. he gives snake a hard time imo.

but im picking up marth and i think thats a better matchup

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I'm picking up Pikachu too. He's like Lucario in that he camps like crazy, but he's faster, can't be chaingrabbed by D3, and does better on CPs.

I'm also going to the dark side in Melee. I'm picking up Puff. I'm tired of losing a stock for making one mistake.

On the subject of potential, what characters do y'all think have the most room to advance? Olimar, Pikachu, Ice Climbers all seem very likely candidates to rise.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'm picking up Pikachu too. He's like Lucario in that he camps like crazy, but he's faster, can't be chaingrabbed by D3, and does better on CPs.

I'm also going to the dark side in Melee. I'm picking up Puff. I'm tired of losing a stock for making one mistake.

On the subject of potential, what characters do y'all think have the most room to advance? Olimar, Pikachu, Ice Climbers all seem very likely candidates to rise.
well pika and ic's i agree
i think IC's right now have the potential to be top 3 in the game.
in a game where its relatively hard to take stocks, they take stocks off of a grab. that's completley broken.
i dont really know the full force of pika, but we've yet to see someone consistently use all the gay **** he can do in tournaments. it'll certainly shoot him upward.

i've always thought r.o.b. had a lot of untapped potential myself. his entire moveset is pretty beastly.

olimar i think is going to be like metaknight. he's gotten better and better and people think he's broken

but then people are going to figure him out and he'll become a regular character again.

im gonna try puff in doubles at gamebox. and just try to do gay stuff and gimp people.

i remember at tabasco i did friends with hungrybox, and im pretty sure he 4 stocked me like 10 times in a row. i literally could not touch his jigglypuff.

i dunno what i'm going to do if i have to fight a jiggs. i dont really want to play spacies agaisnt her. and wobblig is banned i was just gonna wobble that ***** ahaha. ill probably just try to get my marth decent by then.

is huntsville going to gamebox?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
just play characters you have fun with. melee is a lot about player vs player at higher levels so you can play a lot of characters if you're willing to put the time in. it's about fun, not winning!

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
The thing about Robot is that he has exploitable weaknesses that even the best players can't prevent. His camping game is amazing, and spaced back air is ridiculous, but he just has an issue with hitbox coverage not coming out quickly enough, and he's got nearly the same size issue as Donkey Kong.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
just play characters you have fun with. melee is a lot about player vs player at higher levels so you can play a lot of characters if you're willing to put the time in. it's about fun, not winning!
I agree with this. I actually won games with Kirby last weekend. I feel like I've somehow gotten better at Melee just through some minor theory crafting. Like I told myself before fighting Falco that I just needed to get over or around the lasers and then space Marth fairs and stuff and then try to read techs with down throw and read di with up throw. It works, but you have to be thinking. I think I finally got past my Melee plateau.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I'd be better at melee if I owned the game again or if I had practice other than *NICE1 NOT MAURICE* :L

But seriously.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey waterwizard i live in Fort Rucker so you dont live very far at all from me!

I just picked up on melee (im late >_<) and also ive been playing brawl for sometime now but i dont play ssb64 anymore :(

Do you play melee or brawl?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
same bet in 64 with all characters is
1. dair
2. uptilt
3. grab
4. ?????
5. PROFIT

playing brawl makes me better at melee cuz it forces me to play smarter and more defensively. everytime I come back to melee Im a little bit better. i dont think i have a plateau but i play the game so rarely that i dont get better very fast. but as i've said. my main problem is my tech skill.

SleepyK

wow guys
does no one read my guide help thing

here's my "l2melee!" outline that i tell people who need it.
read the whole thing.

here's the basic outline. when i say "down" i mean to a point where you rarely, if ever, miss it.

1) do not fight cpus.
2) get your short hops down
3) get your lcancels down
4) get your fast falls down
5) practice lcanceling in the 3 different ways you would encounter them. best way to do this is to plug in another controller, set damage ratio to .5, and give yourself a handicap of 1. pick bowser for the other controller's character.
5a) practice lcanceling on nothing, just sh ff/fj ff/delayed variants of non ff or platform dropped aerials etc.
5b) practice lcanceling with all the other aforementioned variants on the bowser so you learn hitstun timing
5c) do the same, but turn on stars on low or medium. stars have the same amount of stun as shields do, so this is the best way to practice shieldstun unless you have an AR and infinite shield code.
6) practice isaiah dropping.
7) practice wd, obv
8) practice wavelanding and platform wavelanding as well as wavelanding onto the stage.
9) watch other good people who play your character and copy what they do.
10) don't practice for more than maybe 15 minutes a day. unless you really really want to get something down, extending your practice sessions beyond 10-15 minutes usually results in you getting bored and trying out things for characters you'll never end up using or other things.
other than that, try not to gain experience on your own because it won't happen.
11) when you play someone better than you, don't try to beat them. try to learn from the match. figure things out. play to "not lose" by figuring out what works when. if you have any questions or want to know about what really combos, study videos or ask somebody.
12) guide changes according to other characters of course

wow guys srsly

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah notice how over half of that guide is "l2tech skill"

and tech skill is my kryptonite

BUT IM WORKING ON IT.

how do you isai drop. the fact that i can't do it is one of the major things that slows down my gameplay...isn't it like you start a dash but hit down before the dash animation begins or sommin like that

SleepyK

yes half the guide is l2tech skill
but you for some reason talk about how you never play the game

then say your problem is tech skill

this guide clearly says you have to practice tech skill

do you see the correlation

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yes half the guide is l2tech skill
but you for some reason talk about how you never play the game

then say your problem is tech skill

this guide clearly says you have to practice tech skill

do you see the correlation
no you dont understand me
even when i was playing them game every day my problem was tech skill
my problem is tech skill in every game i play, even brawl
we've talked about this before

SleepyK

ya cuase you do it the wrong way

10) don't practice for more than maybe 15 minutes a day. unless you really really want to get something down, extending your practice sessions beyond 10-15 minutes usually results in you getting bored and trying out things for characters you'll never end up using or other things.

maybe 5-10 for u who nose

SleepyK

u always doin it justin wrong

then you hold steadfast in the face of complete disproving

that's doing it wrong also

waterwizard

Smash Rookie
I don't think I'll be in Bham on the 4th. I've gotta work. We'll see though. If I come, I'll bring my 64.

Lv100, I actually live in Newton, and my dad works at Ft. Rucker! We'll have to play some 64 soon!

Top Bottom