• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
We're not scared of what the rest of the country will think. We just don't want to not have any MK practice if we go out of state to non-MK banned tournaments. We'd basically be ripping off our own players.

Yeah, we are lucky in AL that we have such good character diversity. I see that slowly changing though.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Yeah, we are lucky in AL that we have such good character diversity. I see that slowly changing though.
This quote is said in its entirety every month.

For as long as we've been going, there have been two people who use MK that are on or near the tier list.

And then you have one person who is bitterly entrenched in the stall/camp dichotomy and has made it his mission to demonstrate this at various times, with limited results.

We had an agreement of sorts that the planking, scrooging was outside of the game mechanics of regular play. We can agree to that. We can also agree that it's an extremely arbitrary line that is drawn and is very subjective to judge on it. Because of this, there is usually a clear, formed intent to begin stalling that may not appear evident simply by following the actions of the game.

Do we all follow along here?
A: Planking/Stalling changes the game to something different
B: This is a negative, a bad thing, and we must avoid the repercussions somehow.
C. Only jerks would want a negative, bad thing to be kept in a fighting game.
D: Planking/Stalling is a choice that is made that is not directly and wholly tied with any well -defined action or ability.
E: Thus Planking/Stalling is a choice made by a player.

CONCLUSION: Following this logic, the people who are stalling are jerks. It may not be 100% to us, the pure minded public, whether they are jerks. But deep in their hearts they know they are jerks, they know that they are the wet-blanket at the tourney scene. That lurking in any match they play is the hint of the stall, the player can veritably taste the jerk on his tongue. It is palpable, strong. It brings pain to the other players. But the jerk does not care.

He is a jerk.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
This quote is said in its entirety every month.
That doesn't make it any less true. Every month, I see people get frustrated with their characters and start "secondarying" Snake or MK. Eventually, they just start maining them.

There are a lot of static players that stick to their characters despite the limitations. Respect to them for not switching. Cheap is one of those people. Reflex is absolutely another one. I could go on.

The surge of MK players I see is in people that actually haven't been on the scene for that long; people that you probably wouldn't know if I named them. It may seem relatively unimportant what goes on with new players, but I for one don't want people to give up or switch to MK because they are getting beat by a bunch of srubby Metaknights. I'm tempted to enlist Billy's help in giving the new AU players a crash course in how to beat MK with the characters they actually like to use.

matt4300

Smash Ace
That doesn't make it any less true. Every month, I see people get frustrated with their characters and start "secondarying" Snake or MK. Eventually, they just start maining them.

There are a lot of static players that stick to their characters despite the limitations. Respect to them for not switching. Cheap is one of those people. Reflex is absolutely another one. I could go on.

The surge of MK players I see is in people that actually haven't been on the scene for that long; people that you probably wouldn't know if I named them. It may seem relatively unimportant what goes on with new players, but I for one don't want people to give up or switch to MK because they are getting beat by a bunch of srubby Metaknights. I'm tempted to enlist Billy's help in giving the new AU players a crash course in how to beat MK with the characters they actually like to use.
Just play brawl+ and you won't be haveing this argument... No trolling here... Its awsome.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
stalling is easily defined.
i think its intentionally disingenuous and opportunistic for the sake of just having something to argue about to say it isn't.
stalling is when you don't intend to fight your opponent. its quite simple. i dont really see how this is hard to understand.
camping is playing defensively.
its a huge difference.

timing someone out is stalling, but its become an accepted strategy during the last few minutes of a match, so you cant say anything about it. but stalling has been explicitly banned BY THE BROOMERS since the melee days.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
This is Dan.

So you ban whatever you deem to be "stalling" because it's been banned for a long time? Am I reading this correctly?

Does anyone else understand why I won't go to anymore tournies where this rule is present? Or am I alone in the dark. .__.
i honestly think you argue either just to argue or because you're in favor of stalling.
if you play a match and don't intend to fight your opponent, i think you need to find a new hobby, because smash brothers is not for you.
Likewise if you don't understand why the broomers have banned stalling since day one. i dont think this game is really for you. sigh im going to go to bed before people start accusing me of trolling. good night sons

Winnar

Smash Lord
so basically we can't ban MK cause we're all scared of what the rest of the country will think
so we're stuck with the planking planking rule because we're all scared of Dan

also I got engaged today :D
OSHI!!

Congrats to the max dude! :D

Fixed for correction.
Either or, honestly

melee just has more people

and is harder

and way more rewarding

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Oh guys I played Melee yesterday and 2 stocked someones fox by using uthrow rest twice
<w< it was fun, I might play again.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
XD exactly!

I'd say in about 2 weekends of straight up Blazblue and I'll be able to go on par with your Rachel.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Hmm, I still can't play Meta or Pit....DK the last person I will attempt.
And I'm open all week for smash btw (underclassmen grad exams means no tests/homework).

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Hah same here dude
hopefully my parents will stop being jerks and stop grounding me lul

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
April 17th looks like a good date, but I don't know if Billy or Wulfy want to do another one before the semester is over.

I know Alias and I are up for it!

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Another AU tournament would be an amazing way to start off the second half of Spring season.

Congrats M3T

and Duchock, though I will never be in the same situation as you are, if it means anything, if I can ever vote for your cause I would :D

stealth3654

Smash Lord
April 17th looks like a good date, but I don't know if Billy or Wulfy want to do another one before the semester is over.

I know Alias and I are up for it!
I would love to do another AU tourney. We need to get together and discuss about it.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
dude
motown is the ****.

also i tried maining mk, pika cam.
and i dropped him.

it's just another character.
nothing different or entirely broken.
i'd honestly rather just play who i like to play.
broken or not.
like.
i feel like a jerk when i cg sometimes.
but i like using ddd.
so...
i use him.
i thought i would like mk's playstyle.
but i didnt.
so i dropped him.
is this not what everyone does?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Yea I've tried MK because my brother pissed me off and made me want to learn a top tier. I just don't like the way meta plays. I'd rather have fun playing my character so it's why I use Marth. XD I like the cool tricks I can do with him.

I have this urge to play BB again D: Jason and his brother got me addicted, and I need to buy TvC, but FF 13 comes out in like 8 days.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Another AU tournament would be an amazing way to start off the second half of Spring season.

Congrats M3T

and Duchock, though I will never be in the same situation as you are, if it means anything, if I can ever vote for your cause I would :D
Never say never

I think the Captain Picard is the best facepalm picture on the internet

this one is pretty good too imo

Apparently everyone facepalms on this show I wonder if it means something

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Real Talk, I'm far from a trekkie or trekker or whatever it is

but Star Trek: TNG is one of the greatest shows in the history of mankind. Seriously.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lol I always do suicide shuttle loop kills. It's like the only thing I find fun about Metaknight

Top Bottom