• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Handorin

Smash Hero
The date that most computer clocks are set to is the beginning of the "VAX-Epoch" which was the first millisecond of Jan 1, 1970, which is stored as the number "1".

And it is ticked off in a computer's clock in milleseconds from that time.

For instance, as of me typing this sentence, it's been 1234918291 milliseconds since midnight, 12/31/1969.

So.. basically your iPod is displaying the number "0" for the date.

j00t

Smash Champion
The date that most computer clocks are set to is the beginning of the "VAX-Epoch" which was the first millisecond of Jan 1, 1970, which is stored as the number "1".

And it is ticked off in a computer's clock in milleseconds from that time.

For instance, as of me typing this sentence, it's been 1234918291 milliseconds since midnight, 12/31/1969.

So.. basically your iPod is displaying the number "0" for the date.
The more you know

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
There's a part of me that wants to respond to that post.

And there's a part of me that doesn't want another Smash Boards 'Debate' (TM) (R) (c)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i just saw the picture on the first post of this thread and had a hearty lol

A mid tier tourney would be perfect for alabam since like most of us have tournament ready mid-tiers

as for G&W, he seems to suck...but i play Snake who has like a 70/30 advantage on him soo lol

oh weddep 60% uptilt kill

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
What people don't realize is that Planking and Scrooging aren't limited/banned/frowned upon because they are "broken" strategies or because they are "unbeatable", they are because they are STALLING techniques. And stalling is something that has been banned in Smash from day one.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
What people don't realize is that Planking and Scrooging aren't limited/banned/frowned upon because they are "broken" strategies or because they are "unbeatable", they are because they are STALLING techniques. And stalling is something that has been banned in Smash from day one.
Stalling isn't banned. I've been timed out by someone camping several times in tournament. You might ban it at your tournaments, but that's not the norm.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Stalling isn't banned. I've been timed out by someone camping several times in tournament. You might ban it at your tournaments, but that's not the norm.
Camping =/= Stalling

The difference is inherent in oh God what have you done

not another debate nooooo

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
theres a difference between camping and stalling.
do i know what it is?
not really.
but everyone says there is one...

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
and winnar, yeah im going to zero's.
i always go.
i live like twenty minutes from him so i dont see why i wouldnt go to a tournament that has BRAWL PLUS!

lets start a brawl plus debate. why dont we ban brawl and play brawl plus?
this seriously isnt discussed enough.
NO PLANKING IN B PLUS YALL!

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Ok.

Camping is when you play Melee on hyrule and run into the cave after you get ahead a stock.

Stalling is when you play Melee on hyrule and run around the map after you get ahead a stock.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Thanks for the weekend Zero, it's always fun hanging out with ya. XP I got myself grounded though, so I probably wont be able to hang out this weekend, but I'll still try to work out the truck thing with my step dad.

JRob

Smash Cadet
This is Dan.

So you ban whatever you deem to be "stalling" because it's been banned for a long time? Am I reading this correctly?

Does anyone else understand why I won't go to anymore tournies where this rule is present? Or am I alone in the dark. .__.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Dan, I like you. You're fun to hang out with.

But this chip on your shoulder about stalling ain't pringles.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Well, stalling been banned for a long time for a reason. Its not like nobody put any thought into it. Things like planking and scrooging are simply uncompetitive.

I may think MK should be banned, but I still go to tournies where he isn't. Don't be stubborn about attending. Besides, you are more likely to convince someone in person than through the internet.

JRob

Smash Cadet
Well, stalling been banned for a long time for a reason. Its not like nobody put any thought into it. Things like planking and scrooging are simply uncompetitive.

I may think MK should be banned, but I still go to tournies where he isn't. Don't be stubborn about attending. Besides, you are more likely to convince someone in person than through the internet.
I find "because an unmistakably recognizable form of camping that centralizes the game around 1 attack being used over and over against a wall has been banned in Melee for a long time" to be a horribly ignorant excuse for banning an all-character encompassing, theoretically & realistically beatable, relatively UNTESTED, and purely subjective form of it in Brawl with rules that DON'T EVEN address it directly-instead they inhibit ledge and offstage play ALTOGETHER- all this while the game's dominant strategy is to run away in the first place!

How can you justify this?...
And if all these rules aren't an "uncompetitive" way to deal with the very clear issue that is stalling, what is?

That said, I refuse to support tournaments with these types of arbitrary rulings. If that's called "being stubborn" then so be it.

Also, I feel I can give a clearer message to more people on a forum than I can in real life, besides actually showing people examples during matches, which I will happily do for anyone anytime you see me if you'll just ask. :)

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
This is Dan.

So you ban whatever you deem to be "stalling" because it's been banned for a long time? Am I reading this correctly?

Does anyone else understand why I won't go to anymore tournies where this rule is present? Or am I alone in the dark. .__.
You're not alone. I'm not in favor of banning stalling because stalling is such an ambiguous term. To me, stalling could be the Lucario that shoots AS at me and then runs away when I get close. It could also be considered stalling if I hang out on the ledge too much with Pikachu, even if it's only because someone is limiting my options (snake >.<).

I mean, I've heard people complain that Spade is stalling too much with Samus on the ledge, and they even threatened to get him DQed. Seriously, SAMUS! Are you hearing me? This is a character that recently was overtaken by Captain Falcon on the tier list. The truth is that this rule was written for Metaknight, and it inadvertently hurts other characters like Samus who desperately need to ledge to have any chance of winning.

But what is stalling? Brawl is a defensive game, so we can't say failure to approach is stalling because approaching is detrimental to the player's success more often than not. We could say that staying on the ledge too long is stalling, although how do you measure that? It has been proven that ledge grab rules don't really work with MK. Some have suggested they can just "tell" when someone is stalling the match versus camping/playing defensively, but without a clear definition of stalling, there will be no surefire way of telling. This means that stalling will be completely subjective to whoever is running the tournament, and I am adamantly opposed to that.

We are still addressing the symptoms and not the cause. All of these rules came about because of tactics MK players used in tournament, and the main problem happens to be Metaknight. I am not in favor of banning him at AL tournaments unless they ban him nationally, which I sincerely hope they will do. I probably most agree with the temporary ban idea to see the results. Addressing the symptoms isn't helping though. Like I previously stated, Metaknight is so versatile that he can find a way around any arbitrary rules that are primarily in place to keep him in check in the first place.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
No, it is not.
im definately digging munkus posts tonight.
no sarcasm intended or anything.

god, does anyone else hate how things can be taken so many ways and so out of context so often via interwebz.

why did we stop talking about brawl plus?

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
so basically we can't ban MK cause we're all scared of what the rest of the country will think
so we're stuck with the planking planking rule because we're all scared of Dan

also I got engaged today :D

Top Bottom