• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Expanding on more than just my annoyance at UAB's dorms and responding properly:
Entry fee for what?
http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2209
I go to UAB but I don't stay there. I could ask someone would they let us in their dorm room for a couple of hours out of the night. If we could get a good turn out (at least three good players), we could probably talk about hosting a little friendly smash get-together. Someone might have to bring another Wii also, expecially if it's more than three other people. We could probably move a TV into the living room or something. I don't know how we'd sign everyone into the dorms though if too many people are interested.

Would anyone happen to have any recording equipment because I would love to post some matches of mine or just be able to record longer than three minutes? (Nintendo, what were you thinking? Smash matches last way longer than that.)
As far as setups and recording stuffs goes, I can usually manage. I have a VCR I seem to lug around frequently, and my Wii never seems to have a resting place. I wouldn't be able to provide my TV just for a night of friendlies, but we'll see. Nights I'm least likely to work are Tuesday, Thursday, and unfortunately every other Saturday.

Oh, and Smash nights tend to last a bit longer than a couple hours in my experience.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I hate you people... I'm sitting here reading this thread instead of writing a summary on a Blues music thing I went to tonight... and left early from... which is required for class, by the way...

And I appreciate the offer, 3God, but I don't function at 8:00 A.M. I would hate to force that burden onto you. I just pray that I won't get pulled over tomorrow, arrested for some sort of tax evasion and go the way of Al Capone.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
@ George:

So that's Gamebox. Forgive me for being massively ignorant to the local Smash scene; I'm working on fixing that. (If anyone wants a laugh at my expense, this is your only free shot)

I trust tourney results will be up shortly thereafter?

@ Duchock:

Lulz at "Tuscaspermingham"...it took me awhile to figure out that Jasper fits in there.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
Gotcha. I'm a CS major but as an incoming freshman w/ 17 hours accrued I could afford to lighten my workload for the first two semesters. The tough stuff comes next year.
Cool I'm an ECE major, maybe I'll see you in Houser lab sometime. I play 64 smash in there every now and then, lol.

does anyone in tuscaloosa want to smash tuesday evening.
I'd be up for it if time allows, where do you live?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Cool I'm an ECE major, maybe I'll see you in Houser lab sometime. I play 64 smash in there every now and then, lol.

I'd be up for it if time allows, where do you live?

I don't live in tuscaloosa, I will just be there on tuesday. i was hoping someone who lived there could host.

j00t

Smash Champion
Gotcha. I'm a CS major but as an incoming freshman w/ 17 hours accrued I could afford to lighten my workload for the first two semesters. The tough stuff comes next year.

Still, Huntsville is five to six hours roundtrip. If George can get Birmingham to pretend they're organized (I'm willing to help with this) that would be great.
CS Majors in the house! >:3

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
I have a TV tuner card with cable/DTV/S-Video in but my PC won't hold it (it's a micro-ATX machine). As far as systems I could bring a Cube but obviously if someone had a Wii that would be a better choice. (I would love to take my brother's Wii since I DLed SSB64 onto it but that's not likely)

Also, define "good" players. I can pull even in Brawl but my Melee skills have ran away. I'm searching for them night and day, eventually I'll find them again.
Expanding on more than just my annoyance at UAB's dorms and responding properly:http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2209As far as setups and recording stuffs goes, I can usually manage. I have a VCR I seem to lug around frequently, and my Wii never seems to have a resting place. I wouldn't be able to provide my TV just for a night of friendlies, but we'll see. Nights I'm least likely to work are Tuesday, Thursday, and unfortunately every other Saturday.

Oh, and Smash nights tend to last a bit longer than a couple hours in my experience.
By "good players", I was referring to Brawl and mean anyone that can beat a level 9 CPU character. I just mean don't come in here and get beaten too badly. We just don't have too much good competition so we end up fighting ourselves and we can all beat each other so understandably, we want to play people that can up our skill. I'm sorry if anyone wants to play Melee but maybe only two people are good at Melee (one hasn't played Melee in a while and the other hasn't played Melee in a while and Brawl only one time) and we don't have a Melee disc so you would have to bring your own. We could get at Brawl anytime though. We have three good Brawl players (like tournament ready players), probably five up and comers, and one bad player.

One of our players works every other weekend too. I think he works this upcoming weekend (I'm about 90% sure of that, he didn't work this weekend). When do you work? I guess Thursday would be the best day. Who is everyone that could come if we did get together this Thursday (September 11th, I guess that is) from 4 pm to around midnight (maybe longer if needed)? People could arrive and we would play friendlies starting at 4 and the real playing would start around 6:30 or 7. PM me and I could give you details (like the address) and some phone numbers. I guess I could put down GeorgeTHPS and the Executive. That's two, anyone else? We could probably change the day after the first one but Thursday seems good right now. If you need a ride, we might (not guaranteeing anything because the one person with a car might be in class) pick you up if you provide some gas money.

Just some ground rules:
As far as what we need for gameplay: We will need another Wii. We already have two TVs. Bring your own controllers and maybe some recording equipment. We have two XBox 360s on hand and six controllers so we can play Madden 09 or Halo 3 or whatever you may bring.
As far as the dorms: All we ask is to bring some contributions to the dorm (some food or drink (not liquor) or money to put towards food or drink, food is most likely pizza (three pizzas for around 20 dollars)) and that is all. You are supposed to be signed in by a resident of the dorms and be with them at all times. We could work around that though. We would play in the living room and he stays with two other people so give them respect as they may be studying or whatever.
As far as man rules: If you bring a girl, keep an eye on your girl. We will not tolerate fighting. Just simple stuff like that.

I wanted recording equipment to put together a Brawl combo video of my main/favorite characters, Diddy Kong, Ike, Mario, and Marth, to put on youtube or something. I was asking to maybe hold it for a range of three days to a week.....if that's possible. And GeorgeTHPS, recording with a VCR sounds pretty good. The Executive, I don't know what a TV tuner card is, if you could break that down for the technology challenged....appreciate it.

Completely unrelated....
What? Will won another tournament.... That boy is officially a beast.

The Executive

Smash Lord

Sounds good but I'm never in Houser. I troll EE and HM Comer, but I spend most of my off time in the Ferg or biking around campus.

CS Majors in the house! >:3
w00t?

By "good players", I was referring to Brawl and mean anyone that can beat a level 9 CPU character. I just mean don't come in here and get beaten too badly. We just don't have too much good competition so we end up fighting ourselves and we can all beat each other so understandably, we want to play people that can up our skill.
Level nines are really unrealistic and play nothing like real people so I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick but I'm sure I'll be more than competent.

I'm sorry if anyone wants to play Melee but maybe only two people are good at Melee (one hasn't played Melee in a while and the other hasn't played Melee in a while and Brawl only one time).
I don't care if your strategy consists of Falcon Punch and johns, I just need to know if people are willing to play. I'm not M2K or some other Smash deity; I'm trying to regain my Melee skills at the moment so the playing field will be pretty even.

One of our players works every other weekend too. I think he works this upcoming weekend (I'm about 90% sure of that, he didn't work this weekend). When do you work? I guess Thursday would be the best day. Who is everyone that could come if we did get together this Thursday (September 11th, I guess that is) from 4 pm to around midnight (maybe longer if needed)? PM me and I could give you details (like the address) and some phone numbers. I guess I could put down GeorgeTHPS and the Executive. That's two, anyone else? We could probably change the day after the first one.
I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to go but with a timeframe that big write me up anyways. I won't show until maybe 1600-1700.

Just some ground rules:
stuff
No prob, I can contribute $5-$10 towards food stuff.

I don't know what a TV tuner card is, if you could break that down for the technology challenged....appreciate it.
A PCI card (read: outdated plug-in thingy) that allows for cable/S-video input into a desktop PC provided you have the accompanying software (I lost it). Mine will be of no use but they can be found cheap these days. (just get a PVR card if you have a laptop, it's basically the same thing)

Phone number is *removed, I'll PM it to whoever needs it* but it's this POS Sync refurb from AT&T so I may not get your call the first time. Name's Max; I hate going by internet handles IRL. (I trust none of you are serial killers)

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
Level nines are really unrealistic and play nothing like real people so I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick but I'm sure I'll be more than competent.

I don't care if your strategy consists of Falcon Punch and johns, I just need to know if people are willing to play. I'm not M2K or some other Smash deity; I'm trying to regain my Melee skills at the moment so the playing field will be pretty even.

I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to go but with a timeframe that big write me up anyways. I won't show until maybe 1600-1700.

No prob, I can contribute $5-$10 towards food stuff.

A PCI card (read: outdated plug-in thingy) that allows for cable/S-video input into a desktop PC provided you have the accompanying software (I lost it). Mine will be of no use but they can be found cheap these days. (just get a PVR card if you have a laptop, it's basically the same thing)

Phone number is *removed, I'll PM it to whoever needs it* but it's this POS Sync refurb from AT&T so I may not get your call the first time. Name's Max; I hate going by internet handles IRL. (I trust none of you are serial killers)
I only said level 9 CPUs because I couldn't think of any better comparison.

I tried to edit my post in time but I was too late. I tried to say that we didn't have a disc for Melee if you can bring one, we could definitely play Melee friendlies.

Since you lost the software, could you just bring your laptop? And for me to get a PVR card for myself, how much would that be? If anyone has a Wii that connects to Wifi, pretty much UAB's entire campus has Wifi. Also if you could help us connect our Wii to UAB's Wifi, we would appreciate it.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
so wait is there a smashfest in both tuscaloosa and birmingham on thursday
We could change the date in Birmingham after this one on Thursday so we won't conflict with the one in Tuscaloosa. It's just that one of our players works this weekend and Tuesday would be too short notice. We can't make it to Tuscaloosa (we couldn't even make the GameBox tournament) so if it has to be one or the other, I would prefer it be here in Birmingham.

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
i'll smash. either one, but preferably melee this week, so i might not get my *** beat as badly when i go to tipped off 3.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont think phantom plays melee but i'm going to be in tuscaloosa regardless on thursday so someone give me a call if anything goes down

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
so guys instead of just chatting about the AL power rankings, let's just do it. Is anyone adamantly against starting on them?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
so guys instead of just chatting about the AL power rankings, let's just do it. Is anyone adamantly against starting on them?
All I know from playing people and tourney results is that Will_ is at the top, either Reflex or I is at number 2, and there are a ton of people in contention for 4.

The Executive

Smash Lord
@#$%!! Didn't realize these events conflicted. If we can't reschedule one or the other I'll have to smash here in T-town just because it's closer...sorry lajackson.

we didn't have a disc for Melee if you can bring one, we could definitely play Melee friendlies.
In the event that I do go I'll have you covered. Again, can't supply a Wii. (I have a Brawl disc but w/o save data it's pointless)

ince you lost the software, could you just bring your laptop? And for me to get a PVR card for myself, how much would that be? If anyone has a Wii that connects to Wifi, pretty much UAB's entire campus has Wifi. Also if you could help us connect our Wii to UAB's Wifi, we would appreciate it.
I could bring the laptop but I have no hardware/software for it; my TV tuner is a PCI card that only fits in desktops and it's not much use w/o software.

Never mind PVR, just get a capture card. The only ones I've seen are S-Video in so you'll need an S-Video to RCA cable (make SURE the RCA ends are female).

There may be a firewall restriction; I know at UA you have to register your machine's MAC address with the university before they'll let you on the internet; this applies to both computers and game systems.

id be willing to play some melee though...i was pretty good right before brawl came out and id like the get some of that back eventually
I'm the same way. Count me in on the Melee for sure. I can supply a full system w/ game and three controllers in the event you don't have enough.

Sure.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
UA doesn't have wifi everywhere, so when i was living on campus, i had to purchase a router, and connect the wii to it. no mac address needed.

i think we should have a panel of at least 4 people for the rankings. i dont mind being a panelist...anyone else interested in it, george, moogle, will or anyone that goes to all/most of the tournaments around here

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
So what is everything needed to connect a Wii to Wifi? I think that is the problem we are having. We entered the little password for UAB's wifi but when we try to connect, it gives some code number and says something about support.nintendo.com or something.

The only person I've really heard anything from is The Executive, and he already said he should not be coming, and I don't think it's worth it with only four people, if he came. I'm thinking (just thinking, if I don't hear more) about pushing Birmingham's smashing to next Tuesday or maybe alternate Thursdays with Tuscaloosa. Alternating would be guarantee more variety in the people we get to play if the people in Tuscaloosa are okay with that. Since Tuscaloosa is more organized, I know you guys could get together and drive over here and back but I'm not so sure about the other way around. I would hate to schedule friendlies on Saturdays because that's when a lot of tournaments happen.

To the Executive, that's okay if you can't make it. Gas is high and the world must deal with it.

To theONEjanitor, as far as AL power rankings, feel free to just make your own list for now and everone else here could just tweak it. Past that, I guess the panelists could figure it out. Maybe moogle could put it on the first page of this thread also.

Completely unrelated:
Tom Brady is injured. How about that Patriots fans?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
AL power rankings top 3:

1: Reflex
2: Battletoads
3: Meta Knight

Nice1, did you get last week's tourney vids up?

And George, I'd really like that match b/t me+3GOD v Moogle+Munkus on Norfair. Thanks in advance.

j00t

Smash Champion
Brawl Tier List:

Top Tier:

Melee

There Coach, I dunno if you've done that or not.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
And George, I'd really like that match b/t me+3GOD v Moogle+Munkus on Norfair. Thanks in advance.
I'll get to work on uploading teams videos after I finish singles.

How about those pictures of tournaments you seem to be collecting!

I'm not sure about being a Power Rankings panelist. I don't feel like I have a solid enough grasp on where everyone in the state is skillwise at this point.

As far as when can smashfests happen. Tuscaloosa is a drive for me, when UAB isn't. I could probably make it to Tuscaloosa once a month, when I can easily do a UAB smashfest every week.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Once a month fits me fine, as long as it's in T-town and it's on a thursday :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's a new gaming store opening up in madison(near huntsville) that will be hosting tournaments for games of all kinds. I can see if they'd be willing to host some smash tourneys. :)

Also, do I have to go to every tourney in AL to be ranked?

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
So, uhhh, melee this thursday guys? We could do my dorm or whoever's. I don't have melee here, but I might could get a friend to bring it here and come play with us.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
There's a new gaming store opening up in madison(near huntsville) that will be hosting tournaments for games of all kinds. I can see if they'd be willing to host some smash tourneys. :)

Also, do I have to go to every tourney in AL to be ranked?
I dont think anyone goes to every single tournament (Except George maybe lol)
but you would probably have to go to enough tournaments to leave an impression on people

Top Bottom