• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Hey man, dunno if you remember me or not. I bugged you a little bit after the persacon tourny, and asked if me and maybe a few friends of mine could come down and brawl the next time you have a little gathering.

If that's still cool, hit me up on aim or something please.
I had a great time playing you in Brawl Andrew, olimar is so weird to play against >.<

Hope you come back. Btw did you get to play Andy's Fox in Brawl? its the new metaknight :p

Okay. I have finally moved into Alabama now. I living in Huntsville. If i knew how to excatly describe where I live, I'm gonna need assistance. I live like right near Airport Rd. Feel free to IM me on AIM. djdracofox >->; Hopefully some people are not too far.
Depending on which side of Memorial parkway you live on, i think you live real close to Majist and Munkus. Btw come to our next smash fest ^^, it will probably be next Thursday or Saturday, but that always subject to change.

Had fun tonight guys. To the newcomers, sorry I didn't properly introduce myself. Welcome to the Huntsville crew :D

Sensai, Shannon, Eric, etc. etc..... WHERE WERE YOU!? *sigh*

Was good to see you again, coach. <3
I was there, i just had to come after work. Why did you leave so early? >.<

So while i was gone, i significantly improved my tech skill, ad i can actually move around the platforms and wavedash like i need to now. I was actually kind of able to go toe to toe with andy for abit, until he decided to play fast and **** me. So now I'm working on playing smart and fast at the same time >.<

I can do the alternating wave shine, and a bunch of other bull**** tech stuff, so i look forward to playing your Fox soon. Perhaps I'll be up to speed at our next smashfest :p

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Okay, I'm officially giving up any remotely serious online brawling from this day forth. From now on online is only against people I know very well, I tried to hang in there, but online is just stupid. Online Brawl is a pile of dog **** and if Sakurai should not have wasted his and our time putting it in the game if it was going to be this bad.

I really need to get involved in these tournaments so that I can actually have some fun while I play this game.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
welcome to the club.

I honestly have more fun playing level 9 cpus than playing online.

but playing online is a large part of the reason why I'm decent at brawl.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I just can't do it anymore. I simply cannot adapt to online no matter how hard I try my timing in every aspect is completely disgusting. To make things worse I get caught in a limbo where not only can I not adapt to the lag online, but it also throws me out of wack for no lag offline!

Up until now my sig was just a joke but I guess I was predicting how things would be for myself or something all along lol. Right now I've been playing Brawl online for at least an hour every day, I have no way to play it locally and I don't want to mess myself up getting used to lvl 9 CPUs. I want to eventually start participating in tournaments and at this rate I'm going to go into a frenzy and break the game.

I'm just glad that I still have about 8- replays to put up on youtube. I won't be making very many now.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I practice on pretty much nothing but level 9s (if I practice at all), but I don't think I feel out of whack at all. Yes, it is insanely easy to gimp, spike, PK flash, and basically hit a level 9 without fear of retribution like any normal human player, but you have to just realize that those things won't work against said real person. Don't think of it more as a chance to up mind games as it is just for the situational tech value. I'm pretty zoned out when I play Smash as it is anyway. It gets me into the zone. And besides, you play Smash to smash. Smash your heart out, no matter who it's against.

But now is the perfect time to start going to tournaments, Kalm. If you have access to transportation, there are two tournaments in Birmingham (they're not the ritsy, but probably as close as they'll come) coming up the weekend of the 18th and the weekend after. It's a good... 3 hour or so drive... but if you're determined, it'll be a load of fun. Just a warning though. These events tend to divide people into cliques, so if you don't like being lonely, team up with a buddy there or bring someone just to hang with.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I practice on pretty much nothing but level 9s (if I practice at all), but I don't think I feel out of whack at all. Yes, it is insanely easy to gimp, spike, PK flash, and basically hit a level 9 without fear of retribution like any normal human player, but you have to just realize that those things won't work against said real person. Don't think of it more as a chance to up mind games as it is just for the situational tech value. I'm pretty zoned out when I play Smash as it is anyway. It gets me into the zone. And besides, you play Smash to smash. Smash your heart out, no matter who it's against.

But now is the perfect time to start going to tournaments, Kalm. If you have access to transportation, there are two tournaments in Birmingham (they're not the ritsy, but probably as close as they'll come) coming up the weekend of the 18th and the weekend after. It's a good... 3 hour or so drive... but if you're determined, it'll be a load of fun. Just a warning though. These events tend to divide people into cliques, so if you don't like being lonely, team up with a buddy there or bring someone just to hang with.
I don't know how Brawl AI compares to Melee AI but in Melee practice against level 9s was generally a very bad idea, since they play like ******** humans (walk=> fsmash beats any level 9) with frame perfect reflexes. A lot of stuff that would work against humans would not work against level 9s and a lot of stuff that would work against level 9s would not work against humans. Maybe the AI in Brawl got a drastic overhaul but if not then you're probably better off practicing against level 1s.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the AI is Brawl is a 100 times better than in Melee. they are a lot smarter.

but they still don't play the same way humans do, and they aren't aware of the metagame, and they don't adapt to your strategy. so you can only go so far. They still have perfect reflexes, but it's not as wild, since in Brawl you don't really need good reflexes to counter attack, so its just like anything else

Playing level 9s can help you work on being patient and picking your moments and spacing because the computer punishes (well, hits) you when you throw out moves, and much like melee lvl 9s they don't let anything that's not a real combo hit them, i don't think it hurts you to play lvl 9s, but it probably doesn't help that much

i usually practise in training mode though, and try to think of new approaches/techs/ko strats/edgeguards though
then I might try what i learned on a lvl 9 just to see if I could reasonably pull it off in a fight, other than that, no ones gonna be a brawl champ from playing lvl 9's :-P

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah the lvl 9 computers are way better than the old comps of Smash. The Peach comp is especially brutal and the Wolf comp is very human-like. The main thing with me is that I want to learn a lot about every character, and that means I have to fight them at their best. There are still like 20 characters I haven't fought while they were being played near their max potential.

(Sigh)

Well anyways.
My ride is pretty much a pile of crap with wheels, I'm not good for driving any furthur that 2 hours tops. Actually it's in really bad condiiton, I'm not good for any kind of driving out of town at the moment.
I'll get it fixed up eventually though, and I may or may not be moving to Auburn, we'll see. The one thing that I CAN guarantee is a place to stay for a couple days down here and I've got plenty of money saved up to contribute to gas.

So that's what I have to work with.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
the AI is Brawl is a 100 times better than in Melee. they are a lot smarter.

but they still don't play the same way humans do, and they aren't aware of the metagame, and they don't adapt to your strategy. so you can only go so far. They still have perfect reflexes, but it's not as wild, since in Brawl you don't really need good reflexes to counter attack, so its just like anything else

Playing level 9s can help you work on being patient and picking your moments and spacing because the computer punishes (well, hits) you when you throw out moves, and much like melee lvl 9s they don't let anything that's not a real combo hit them, i don't think it hurts you to play lvl 9s, but it probably doesn't help that much

i usually practise in training mode though, and try to think of new approaches/techs/ko strats/edgeguards though
then I might try what i learned on a lvl 9 just to see if I could reasonably pull it off in a fight, other than that, no ones gonna be a brawl champ from playing lvl 9's :-P
I can't practice anything on that game because to me theres nothin to practice, i dunno. Brawl justs lame, Its fun, but I don't take it that seriously honestly. Its not as deep as melee or most 2D style fighters.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah the lvl 9 computers are way better than the old comps of Smash. The Peach comp is especially brutal and the Wolf comp is very human-like. The main thing with me is that I want to learn a lot about every character, and that means I have to fight them at their best. There are still like 20 characters I haven't fought while they were being played near their max potential.

(Sigh)

Well anyways.
My ride is pretty much a pile of crap with wheels, I'm not good for driving any furthur that 2 hours tops. Actually it's in really bad condiiton, I'm not good for any kind of driving out of town at the moment.
I'll get it fixed up eventually though, and I may or may not be moving to Auburn, we'll see. The one thing that I CAN guarantee is a place to stay for a couple days down here and I've got plenty of money saved up to contribute to gas.

So that's what I have to work with.
You should try driving to a fellow Smasher's house prior to a tournament and having them take you; tournament experience is top tier.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Hey Alabama you guys need to host a Melee tourney. These GA tourneys are too **** far and there aren't enough people in MS to host one here.

So...yeah. Get on that, Alabama.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
You should try driving to a fellow Smasher's house prior to a tournament and having them take you; tournament experience is top tier.
Yes that's been on my mind for a while now. I'm probably going to get some locations and figure out what my options are. I believe You and Nice1 are the closest people to me, I'll keep checking though.
I feel like I would be very tourny worthy, I've got fast reflexes and read my opponents well.

Also I use Bowser, and I rock with him.
Bowser vids up soon.

nice1

Smash Lord
trust me i know how it feels to be the only smasher around ya area. i hav that problem during the school year in selma

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Right now I'm looking at about a 3 hour drive to Selma, when/if I move to Auburn that will become a 2 hour drive. That's pretty doable really once I get my car fixed up. Where was it Reflex lived again?

Majist

Smash Journeyman
i'm done playing Smash competitively. i'll still play it for fun, but there are way better games out there i could waste my time on getting good at, like Starcraft for example.

I'm praying Nintendo will come out with something great, but i'm not getting my hopes up, sadly. Once D3 is out, it's game ovah!!

****, i might even go so far to play Halo 3. You heard me... or ...read, me. :/

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Right now I'm looking at about a 3 hour drive to Selma, when/if I move to Auburn that will become a 2 hour drive. That's pretty doable really once I get my car fixed up. Where was it Reflex lived again?
Reflex lives in Phenix City.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I can't practice anything on that game because to me theres nothin to practice, i dunno. Brawl justs lame, Its fun, but I don't take it that seriously honestly. Its not as deep as melee or most 2D style fighters.
lol, i agree; there's really not much to practice.
even all the "advance tech" stuff can be easily mastered and utilized within one match, since barlw lacks depth.

hey rag, do you play any 2d fighters?

moogle

Smash Ace
Hey Alabama you guys need to host a Melee tourney. These GA tourneys are too **** far and there aren't enough people in MS to host one here.

So...yeah. Get on that, Alabama.
We've been throwing around the idea of having a Melee tourney in Huntsville, but we never solidified it. Originally, I was thinking the weekend of July 26, but now I think the weekend of August 2 would be better.

I'm known for my inaction and indecision, but if enough of you guys tell me to do this, I can make it happen.

i'm done playing Smash competitively. i'll still play it for fun, but there are way better games out there i could waste my time on getting good at, like Starcraft for example.
:(

Majist

Smash Journeyman
^^^well, if we were to hold a tourney here i would definitely participate, especially if it were Melee. I'm just not keen on Brawl.

I'm not going to become a ghost or anything. we should have a get-together soon. I haven't seen you guys since the GA melee tourney. that's pretty sad.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
lol, i agree; there's really not much to practice.
even all the "advance tech" stuff can be easily mastered and utilized within one match, since barlw lacks depth.

hey rag, do you play any 2d fighters?
HEll yeah, MvC2, Street fighter 3rd strike, Capcom fighting evolution, and i play Guilty Gear, but not that good at it. What do you play.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
We've been throwing around the idea of having a Melee tourney in Huntsville, but we never solidified it. Originally, I was thinking the weekend of July 26, but now I think the weekend of August 2 would be better.

I'm known for my inaction and indecision, but if enough of you guys tell me to do this, I can make it happen.
Do this.

Also, I'm probably going to have a Melee/Brawl tournament in Tuscaloosa once school starts back up

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

I'm praying Nintendo will come out with something great, but i'm not getting my hopes up, sadly. Once D3 is out, it's game ovah!!

****, i might even go so far to play Halo 3. You heard me... or ...read, me. :/
i play halo 3.

and brawl doesn't require much technical practice, it just requires thinking and patience.
most people who don't win at brawl are playing it like melee

ragnarock

Smash Lord
i play halo 3.

and brawl doesn't require much technical practice, it just requires thinking and patience.
most people who don't win at brawl are playing it like melee
Melee requires the samething, so i disagree with you just said. Maybe it has some truth to the people you play, but not me.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Lotsa brawl hate in this thead ;_;
It's like that everywhere, pretty much. I don't know about other regions, but the southeast certainly retains a lot of love for Melee (and hostility to all who oppose it).

Oh, and Moogle. Make it so.

Oh again, and Kevin. More Tuscaloosa tourny plz.

Oh again again, and everyone. I'm going to be bringing a friend to the VGB tournament on the 19th. We're friends. She plays smash. Don't scare her off.

Top Bottom