• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced MK Discussion

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
how do you call a Tornado where you press the Special button a few times so he keeps on spinning. If there isn't a word for it why dont we make one?(because many people use it in forums) I have some names for it, Tornadospinner or Tornadotrap or something like that or just no name :(

.... ok, its ACTUALLY called Mach Tornado, I refer to it as sex tornado quite often though

Sino

Smash Journeyman
.... ok, its ACTUALLY called Mach Tornado, I refer to it as sex tornado quite often though
Yeah i know that. I mean repeating the mach tornado, so that the Mach tornado spins longer than normal. How is that called, i dont think there is a name for that yet

Sino

Smash Journeyman
I think you dont get my point. Maybe i dont explain it that well or i just suck at english. I will explain it with a example, here it is:
Glide > U-air > U-air > Mach Tornado multiple input

As you can see this is a combo for MK. At the end of the combo it says multiple input Mach Tornado. So you must use Mach Tornado in a row. For this(the multiple input of Mach Tornado) there isnt a name yet. Maybe it is better to give a name to the multiple input of Mach Tornado, like Trap Tornado or Tornadotrap or something like that. I hope you understand what i'm saying.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
you are saying that you keep pressing A to rise using Mach Tornado, it's still mach tornado regardless of what you want to call it, like i said earlier, i prefer to call it the sex tornado, but it's nothing official

ckm

Smash Journeyman
theres no need to give a move a new name just because you extend the length of the move. Its still the same move. I think ppl need to chill with the whole naming of the techniques thing. It just gets ******** sometimes. Lets save the names for things that are more difficult to explain and actually have no other name.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
we need more techs in this thread! cmon guys, lets hear some more tricks. ill mention one that I mentioned in another thread already....

This isnt new or anything (ive seen it mentioned in at least one other thread) but I dont see many MKs doing it when I watch vids or play on wifi.

Basically, its a reverse shuttle loop while holding the edge. I think the reason alot of ppl dont do this is that they think they will die if they do it away from the stage. however, if you drop down low enough (and a bit towards the stage if you want to land on the stage rather than on the edge), you will survive. This outward reverse shuttle loop is a great edgeguard technique.... I get KOs with this fairly frequently. Also, if you do land on the stage, you can either glide attack or land right on the stage (no fallspecial) and perform an attack without any landing lag. (downsmash would be the ko move, but there are endless possibilities. another outward SL would be nice too)

Anyway, this works well against any character that recovers from a outward low direction. also works well against other MKs cuz they like to SL stage spike ppl who are hanging on the edge, and this always suprises em.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
we need more techs in this thread! cmon guys, lets hear some more tricks. ill mention one that I mentioned in another thread already....

This isnt new or anything (ive seen it mentioned in at least one other thread) but I dont see many MKs doing it when I watch vids or play on wifi.

Basically, its a reverse shuttle loop while holding the edge. I think the reason alot of ppl dont do this is that they think they will die if they do it away from the stage. however, if you drop down low enough (and a bit towards the stage if you want to land on the stage rather than on the edge), you will survive. This outward reverse shuttle loop is a great edgeguard technique.... I get KOs with this fairly frequently. Also, if you do land on the stage, you can either glide attack or land right on the stage (no fallspecial) and perform an attack without any landing lag. (downsmash would be the ko move, but there are endless possibilities. another outward SL would be nice too)

Anyway, this works well against any character that recovers from a outward low direction. also works well against other MKs cuz they like to SL stage spike ppl who are hanging on the edge, and this always suprises em.
I never thought of that. I'll surely try it.

It's be nice to know how to go off stage with grabs though... I've never done it.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
ok, i dont' know if it has been posted or not.... but when beating on the sand bag waiting for some online dissappointment i found that MK can sh dair>uair before he lands, and land both hits, i tried it on some of my friends and it turned into a GREAT way to approach

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Ditto to R1ngo's comment about Dair.

It works fine as an approach as long as you remember that it covers the lower half of MK's body only. Usually, if you Dair into a shield and hit with only the tip of the sword, you can retreat with a SH Fair to avoid punishment.

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
This hasn't been mentioned yet...

Down throw to forward air is a great combo and all, but another great thing to do out of a down throw is the Tornado! Unless they have a full shield (which is rare), they're either getting hit or shield poked. Mix that up with fairs, dairs and even nairs, and you've got yourself a giant mindgame from one little throw!

Also, people need to utilize offstage dairs a bit more. The low horizontal knockback is godly, and if you get the opponent far enough, you can finish them with an fair or two.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
This thread is dedicated to playing MK with more skill and strategy than spamming tornados and smashing your c-stick a few other character threads have these and we should have one. Meta Knight has a bad rep from ppl spamming tornado and beating their friends by only playing a campy style and using the same move the entire game.
Why mess with what works?

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Quick tech
Tornado Bouncing (not new, crappy name)

If u press B w/ correct timing at a given pace, MK will be spinning at the ground and u won't rise.
Good for ripping through shields rather than leaving urself airborne and vulnerable.

It looks like ur bouncing slightly off the surface of the stage.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
This might be a true combo with metaknight but I'm not sure:

Dash attack, up tilt, then uair juggle into a tornado or up b. So far no has been able to escape this when I time it right.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
This might be a true combo with metaknight but I'm not sure:

Dash attack, up tilt, then uair juggle into a tornado or up b. So far no has been able to escape this when I time it right.
i dont think its inescapable, but it works fairly well. you can also do a nair instead of an upair, depending on their percentage.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Drill Rush Recovery: Another way to hug the edge other when recovering from an attack. Pretty useful and different from the normal aspect as well as the Dimensional Cape Edge recovery.

(Not advanced stuff but useful info)

Ledge tricks

Shuttle Loop from the edge when an opponent is close to hit them if you miss you can always use your glide attack. Also, can be followed with another shuttle loop if your opponent has been hit a specific angle that the shuttle loop will hit them once more.

Basic Grab Combos

Dthrow > Fair
Fthrow > short hop > Shuttle Loop

Um I know I have more interesting techniques but right now I can't seem to remember them :laugh:.

Sino

Smash Journeyman
yeah, you can use drill rush recovery for a better distance. Also you can use it if your under a stage. Imo Drill rush recovery is way better than shuttle loop recovery. Dimension Cape recovery is also great if you want to go a short distance and don't wanna be hit.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Drill rush recovery is only good if you're in desperate need for a lot of vertical distance. And that only typical happens when you've expended all your jumps edguarding someone off stage.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
When you're below the edge, out of up b's vertical distance, there's no way it'll save you. Side b is the better option in this case. Another situation is when you get spiked. Often times, side b is the only option that can save you.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't you glide for that virtical distance? Thats if you didn't use it up.
he means low-to-high vertical distance. Gliding works well when youre above the stage, but you cant glide upwards without going downwards first...

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
he means low-to-high vertical distance. Gliding works well when youre above the stage, but you cant glide upwards without going downwards first...
Oh right. You could go all the way down to the bottom of the stage but you would have to be really close to the edge.. without dying that could be hard.

I understand what your getting at now.

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to get the Dimensional Cape to edge-stall in place consistently. Is there anything I should note? I'm working on my usage of DC since I find myself not utilizing it at all when I play. Are there other DC uses I should work on?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Is there some sort of huge benefit in using DM edgehogging over regular hugging that I dont know about?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412

Sino

Smash Journeyman
is somewhat faster on a large distance, like 0,3 sec. But for shorter distance its not faster. I use the dimension edge-guarding when i'm in the air of the platform, it is a lot faster than just fly to it.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Dimensional edge-guarding....

I dont know it's not a thing of mine. Maybe I just dont want to really practice it and get it down. But I dont see a real reason to risk a stock to get an edgeguard. Maybe its a bit faster than a dashing hug, but even if you miss a hug you still have plenty of options to pressure an opponent back off anyways.

Dimensional edge-guarding....

I dont know it's not a thing of mine. Maybe I just dont want to really practice it and get it down. But I dont see a real reason to risk a stock to get an edgeguard. Maybe its a bit faster than a dashing hug, but even if you miss a hug you still have plenty of options to pressure an opponent back off anyways.
I agree.

In addition to that, all of these techniques are completely situational, and can get you punished greatly if you don't land them correctly 100% of the time. Edge Cancel Drill Rush will leave you completely open if you miss. Illusion edge hog will cause you to lose a stock if you miss, and the Mach Tornado tricks can leave you greatly exposed. I think Meta's best game is based off of his normal A moves. His Mach Tornado is his best B move, but even that isn't necessary to use most of the time. You can get a better combo (What little ones that exist) off by using D-throw at low percentages to Dash A or Sh Nair.

If you want to be successful with Meta Knight, stick to the simple stuff.

SmashMan_026

Smash Apprentice
does anyone ever use mach tornado to recover? i still think im the only one. when im out of range with shuttle loop (as in the edge is to high and i wont make it) i use mach tornado to recover. if anyone else does, id like to know and make sure im not just half ********.

Top Bottom