• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adults who are obsessed with teenage fiction....

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, because this topic became about stereotyping, or that's at least what Teran pulled out of it when i don't think the OP was trying to do at all.
Oh, so now you're saying we should be focusing on what other people brought up that was irrelevant to the op's original argument, while a few minutes ago you were saying the opposite.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I asked you to explain YOUR reasoning, not to interpret his post.
And no, I didn't say anything of the sort Spelt. I asked why he thought a certain way about a post that I thought wasn't trying to answer what the OP was asking.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I asked you to explain YOUR reasoning, not to interpret his post.
Yes. My reason for liking his post. Instead of asking him why he posted it in the first place. I explained to you why I liked his post in my first response.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Yes. My reason for liking his post. Instead of asking him why he posted it in the first place. I explained to you why I liked his post in my first response.
Yes, so why are you saying that I'm asking you to explain his post?
Or even why he posted what he did?

I never asked you anything of the sort

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You keep telling people they don't understand the context of your posts but I don't even think you know what you're trying to say.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
You keep telling people they don't understand the context of your posts but I don't even think you know what you're trying to say.
I'm pretty sure I do.
We should stick to what the OP was asking.
And yes, I was being told I was trying to get someone to interpret a post, when I was asking him to defend his opinion on a post,

That is indeed, two different things.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Obviously the only way to find out is to continue on with it.

Thank you for your inquiry!

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
The OP is talking about people that are so obsessed with lets say Twilight for example, and feel the need to OWN, KNOW, and DEFEND all that is Twilight to such a degree that it's an obsession.

Teran was pretty much saying "How dare you mock people that so happen to like something out of there age range"

Liking does not equal being obsessed with it. It's called taking something too far. How is that so hard to understand?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
no, teran was pretty much saying "It's dumb that anyone would look down on another for going outside their 'social norms' and I hate everyone that still carries this outdated mindset."

How is/was that so hard to understand?

Maybe you should spend more time figuring out the context of other's posts. Just because someone's replying to a thread doesn't mean it has to be 100% related to exactly what the original post was saying.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
but you're 20 and play pokemon.

You probably don't even know what a legdrop feels like, pffffft.
But I'm gay and I still know what a woman feels like. :denzel:

OOF-

HE KNOWS WHAT A LEGDROP FEELS LIKE NOW BROTHERJACKDUDE

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
no, teran was pretty much saying "It's dumb that anyone would look down on another for going outside their 'social norms' and I hate everyone that still carries this outdated mindset."

How is/was that so hard to understand?

Maybe you should spend more time figuring out the context of other's posts. Just because someone's replying to a thread doesn't mean it has to be 100% related to exactly what the original post was saying.
Then he insulted everyone that was agreeing with the OP.
Which means he was trying to post relevant to the topic, or he wouldn't bother posting at all. Unless he really wanted to change the whole topic of discussion.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I read it as Teran getting overly defensive.

It's okay to like stuff intended for younger audiences. OP was about fanaticism.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I L.IKE HOW THIS BLOG HAS NOW PRETTY MUCH BEEN DOMINATED WITH DEBATE ON TERAN'S REPLIES.

YEAH LOOKS LIKE THE HULK'S PROMO WORK AND TIPS IN RING PRESENCE HAVE HELPED OUT BROTHER.jack

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
WHAT?
[COLLAPSE="[img]lolololololololololololoolblankpost[/img]"][/COLLAPSE]

Okuser

Smash Ace
I think it is unhealthy for grown *** men (mid 20's+) to be obsessing over manga/anime that specifically relate to teenage/children life... same games for literature.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
People, people... let's back up. I'm simply asking the question: What justification is there for older men, or women, to swoon over teenage counterparts in fantastical adventures, without coming off as obsessive?

I only ask because any fans I know of Twilight, Harry Potter, and now Hunger Games, are not just fans, but obsessive. My curiosity is not in the stories itself (either good or bad to begin with) but more so the fascination the now older generation has with the old. Is this right, wrong, situational, irrelevant? I'm now curious is the more receptive and seemingly polarized responses.

Just to clarify, I'm a near 24 year old, who openly loves Medabots, Pokemon, Digimon, with little to zero shame that I still collect (and used to work for) Lego. That said, to me I consider myself a fan, but not obsessive. Still its perplexing how some people become engulfed in such worlds, but at the same time, to me irrelevant.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Then he insulted everyone that was agreeing with the OP.
Let's assume that you used a more appropriate word/phrase here, such as "disagreed with," instead of "insulted," because that really isn't what happened in this case. Then your post would be slightly more intelligible and look like this:

Then he disagreed with everyone that was agreeing with the OP.
Why, yes, it tends to happen that when one disagrees with one person, they also disagree with those agreeing with the person they initially disagreed with! We learn new things every day here at Smash World Forums, don't we?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
On this subject. My Little Pony has significantly more rabid fans in the age15-25 Male demographic. Is the show not made for little girls? Discuss.

Jet300

Smash Ace
They want to end up like this
Wow, that's does not look right.
Seriously, there are weird people out there who are obsessed with things that for teenagers or kids. A grown man obsessed with a child's show. They draw
freaky things of the female in every cartoon I remember when I was 4 and the worst part about it, the girl is at least
9 or younger. And they actually thinks thats sexy?

:phone:

Top Bottom