• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adieu Brawl+, The Tribute Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

5ive

Smash Champion
So as you know the Brawl+ team has officially stopped development.

Thy death was inevitable. Let's talk about the good times.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Might as well post the best matches that this game produced. Somebody get the Alex Falco vs. Peach match from Pound 4 in here.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I really liked Brawl+ a lot when I played it a year ago (before the "gold" codeset). Did people just stop caring about it or something?

Renji64

Smash Lord
Well I wasn't in anything great but i did fight some people on the irc. and got ***** but they helped me get better at the game and i enjoyed brawl+ it is sad it died. me and my friends will still play it.

Revven

FrankerZ
I really liked Brawl+ a lot when I played it a year ago (before the "gold" codeset). Did people just stop caring about it or something?
I could type up an essay about it if people really want to know wtf happened between last summer and the spring.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
The massive complaints for every single character change. MY massive complaints for the Ness changes. (although he ended up being pretty awesome. Shame B+ Died...)

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Just because they stopped development doesn't mean that you have to stop playing it...

(This is ignoring the fact that the scene died a long time ago.)

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
At least, without the continued development we can assure that no more things will be changed and game will always be the way it is.

Like the official games.

Something that I like very much in Plus is the lack of hitlag.

Most attacks have very low hitlag, It's incredibly useful to train DI. After days of Brawl+ the Regular and SDI was going out almost perfectly in 64 and Melee.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
There was a string of successions among the lead developers of Brawl+.
One by one a leader would lose interest or fail to have enough time to devote to the project.
At one point in time we had guys like Shanus, Shell, and etc. There was a lot of dissatisfaction with where the game was going, and really nothing was being done to fix community complaints.
So what happened was a total take over by Cape. He basically took charge of the project on his own authority and released his own set (codename GSH for Get Sexy Here) which would soon become the norm upon its public release. Along with that came a new team of people to head the new direction for B+. Soon we would see GSH2 in development with a whole new cast behind it (myself included).
Cape basically couldn't keep up with everything. Life exists too, you know. After him we saw Veril take control. And of course after Veril came Blind, who because of his own limitations couldn't be a social member of the community.
Now in general the views of the public were that Cape was a dictator, Veril wasn't that much better and had a fuse as short as Cape, and honestly not much could be said about Blind because of his own limitations to post on the board as well as the period of B+ that he took over in.
Now Cape was a necessary evil, to say. Was he a dictator? Not really, but at the same time he wasn't using the same kind of democracy that lets the PMBR get so much done. A lot of things were done because of how the Cape felt, and at times BR members didn't even know about the changes unless they spoke with Cape personally. But on the bright side we got things done.
Veril came along at a time of a lot of public upheaval. People were giving constant complaints about changes Cape made while in charge. Pros wanted a stable set, and the lack of such led to some pros leaving the game. So how can you please those who wanted changes to problems and the pros who wanted no changes? Poor compromises. Then to make things worse we had to deal with leaks, and constant raging among the members. Around this time is where PM really picked up steam as well. Many B+BR members were completely loosing interest in B+ because PM was the experience they were looking for in hacked Smash. I'm one of those people who just stopped caring about B+because I enjoyed PM more.
Veril left, and I can't be certain as to why. Personal reasons, on top of being too busy (I think he was/is a nursing student) I believe were why. He left things to Blind. No offense to Blind as he is a good guy, but he didn't really have what you need in a leader of a dying project. He was basically given all of the problems that Veril and Cape created/had to deal with, and had to deal with PM even more than Veril. I officially left the B+BR during this time, so from this point on I have absolutely no idea what happened.
This was many months ago, so somebody else would have to address Blind's ascension to leader to present.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I'm pretty disappointed because I was expecting the next set to fix the noticeable boundaries and make All-Star Mode playable again. I honestly like playing the 1 Player modes in Brawl+ and it was said that it was probably going to be restored in the next release...

I just wish I had a playable All-Star Mode with the latest codeset, at the very least. But now it won't ever happen... :(

R.I.P. Brawl+

Dan_X

Smash Lord
45mins later...

There was a string of successions among the lead developers of Brawl+.
One by one a leader would lose interest or fail to have enough time to devote to the project.
At one point in time we had guys like Shanus, Shell, and etc. There was a lot of dissatisfaction with where the game was going, and really nothing was being done to fix community complaints.
So what happened was a total take over by Cape. He basically took charge of the project on his own authority and released his own set (codename GSH for Get Sexy Here) which would soon become the norm upon its public release. Along with that came a new team of people to head the new direction for B+. Soon we would see GSH2 in development with a whole new cast behind it (myself included).
Cape basically couldn't keep up with everything. Life exists too, you know. After him we saw Veril take control. And of course after Veril came Blind, who because of his own limitations couldn't be a social member of the community.
Now in general the views of the public were that Cape was a dictator, Veril wasn't that much better and had a fuse as short as Cape, and honestly not much could be said about Blind because of his own limitations to post on the board as well as the period of B+ that he took over in.
Now Cape was a necessary evil, to say. Was he a dictator? Not really, but at the same time he wasn't using the same kind of democracy that lets the PMBR get so much done. A lot of things were done because of how the Cape felt, and at times BR members didn't even know about the changes unless they spoke with Cape personally. But on the bright side we got things done.
Veril came along at a time of a lot of public upheaval. People were giving constant complaints about changes Cape made while in charge. Pros wanted a stable set, and the lack of such led to some pros leaving the game. So how can you please those who wanted changes to problems and the pros who wanted no changes? Poor compromises. Then to make things worse we had to deal with leaks, and constant raging among the members. Around this time is where PM really picked up steam as well. Many B+BR members were completely loosing interest in B+ because PM was the experience they were looking for in hacked Smash. I'm one of those people who just stopped caring about B+because I enjoyed PM more.
Veril left, and I can't be certain as to why. Personal reasons, on top of being too busy (I think he was/is a nursing student) I believe were why. He left things to Blind. No offense to Blind as he is a good guy, but he didn't really have what you need in a leader of a dying project. He was basically given all of the problems that Veril and Cape created/had to deal with, and had to deal with PM even more than Veril. I officially left the B+BR during this time, so from this point on I have absolutely no idea what happened.
This was many months ago, so somebody else would have to address Blind's ascension to leader to present.

cool story bro... No, I'm serious. :) That was an interesting read. I too could write a book on this ****. I'd also like to see SMK's version of said story.

Anyway, as for me, I loved Brawl+ from the moment we had the no trip code (long before it even had an established name). Unfortunately, many factors went into the ending of Brawl+. I'm not going to get too in-depth here, as I've already done that on numerous occasions, however... I'll cover some points.

1. The transitions in leadership. When Cape decide to go lone wolf, and take over Brawl+, he basically set the project on course for failure (actually... no.. it was always doomed. As you'll come to find by my other points). It may have appeared that his changes were in part good, however, if any good came of GSH it was temporary. This is because people began to take Brawl+ far less seriously when they didn't even know what the changes were. Cape made no effort to document a single thing, he made changes on his own terms. He stated that he had talked to pros regarding many of his changes, and I would like to give him credit for that, however, we never had a definitive, concise list. Don't get me wrong though, many of his changes were in the right, it's the manner in-which he went about them that was poor. Another thing that didn't help this time period were silly changes to snub certain character mains. For example, he decided Marth shouldn't be able to 2x Fair in a single short hop-- as such he took it out. Things like this stirred the community the wrong way. As Plum already mentioned... things went south from there.

To my understanding, the Brawl+ BR were basically divided around the GSH time period. On one side was Shanus, SHell, and the rest of the now PM guys, and on the other Cape, Veril, Blind, etc. These two sides didn't see eye-to-eye, and the drama ensued, and Brawl+'s rep was heading down the tube. Meanwhile, Shanus had been hard at work doing a side project for a good while, and when the poo hit the fan, Shanus and friends went on to work on Shanus's secret project. For the longest time, no information was disclosed, but we new something awesome was in the works. For the longest time.. we only knew the phrase "hype m." Within time, their secret project would become the highly anticipated "Project Melee."

2. The hype surrounding Project Melee was (and continues to be) extremely high, and for good reason, it's amazing! Project Melee itself became one of Brawl+'s prime problems, as it provided the technical depth, and Melee techniques that the majority of Brawl+'s community had always wanted. In a nutshell, Project M is what many had always wanted Brawl+ to be. Eventually, I myself was admitted into the PMBR, and I haven't played Brawl+ since, nor have I looked back. For this reason, I find it particularly striking that Brawl+ seemingly died overnight.

3. Brawl+'s creation was an unavoidable "open source" mess. What I mean by this is that during the development, everyone had access to the game. Everyone was playing with different values of codes, other were releasing their own code sets. Eventually, some unity was found when a standardized Brawl+ set was released regularly. Unlike the other mods, this mod had to pave the way to bigger and better things (like Brawl-, and PM). In the beginning, there were strict line restrictions (256 lines). At one point in time, the most we thought we could do with balancing in Brawl+ was nerfing MK a tad, and buffing Bowser (thick skin, any1?). We couldn't have ANY extra codes. Also, we were without PSA, and likely, BrawlBox. It took MANY minds to get Brawl+ to the point of 7.0. A ton of what was done was thought to be impossible. After the work was done, it was incredibly easy for other mods to start popping up. Shanus and crew took all the advances that birthed through Brawl+, and all of their coding knowledge and went on to form Project Melee. Where as Cadet and friends made Brawl-. The difference with these mods is that the majority of the pointless legwork was out of the way, they had no line restrictions to speak of, and had every tool at their disposal. They could focus purely on their mod, and the coding for it, instead of what wasn't yet possible. Remember Brawl+'s early measly 256 line code limit that I mentioned? Well as of 9/10/2010, Project Melee has 1,945 lines of code!

4. This ties closely with #3, but because of the fact that people had access to a constantly changing game, there were a TON of voices as to what direction to take the game in. Some people whined about nightlies (the experimental Brawl+ builds-- designed to test new concepts), while others loved them. Those who opposed the nightlies generally wanted the game to go on unchanged for a long duration, to allow the meta game to stabilize and develop. Because of the changes tiring a portion of the community out, one of the up-and-coming leaders of Brawl+ (I know Blind in particular did this) decided to let the game sit, unchanged-- and stood needlessly firm by his stance. Even when the community cried out for certain problematic things to be tweaked/fixed (such as death boundaries), he didn't budge.

and thus Brawl+ died.

In conclusion:

Brawl+ was a really fun mod, which paved the way for all future mods. It was a time of constant innovations and change, from things like the double GCT method, snapshot method, and finally, a line of code paired with a newer Gecko OS (all of which increased the code line limit until there wasn't a limit to speak of), to hitstun, shieldstun, aerial momentum, Brawlbox, PSA, etc. All of this advancements, and a slew I didn't mention, are integral to the other mods that rise up. The most important thing for other mods, as they learned from Brawl+, is to keep the development AWAY from the community, at least somewhat. Only release something when you have substantial grounds, as otherwise it could hurt your cause, and create poor stigma. If Project Melee had been an open development project, like Brawl+, everyone would have scrutinized every little change to the point where Project Melee would likely already be dead, or, like Brawl+, it may have been doomed to failure.

Wow, what a surprise.. I sat here for like 45 minutes writing this. I'm going to bed... lol.

R.I.P B+

5ive

Smash Champion
To my understanding, the Brawl+ BR were basically divided around the GSH time period. On one side was Shanus, SHell, and the rest of the now PM guys, and on the other Cape, Veril, Blind, etc. These two sides didn't see eye-to-eye, and the drama ensued, and Brawl+'s rep was heading down the tube. Meanwhile, Shanus had been hard at work doing a side project for a good while, and when the poo hit the fan, Shanus and friends went on to work on Shanus's secret project. For the longest time, no information was disclosed, but we new something awesome was in the works. For the longest time.. we only knew the phrase "hype m." Within time, their secret project would become the highly anticipated "Project Melee."
Wrong. The same developmental team that was in the B+BR worked with Cape on GSH. There was no real "split" just a major change in direction.

bleyva

Smash Ace
The transitions in leadership. When Cape decide to go lone wolf, and take over Brawl+, he basically set the project on course for failure (actually... no.. it was always doomed. As you'll come to find by my other points).
something i've never understood;

how exactly was he able to completely take over operations on his own? did he have some kind of special authority over the previous leaders of the project (whoever they are)?

5ive

Smash Champion
something i've never understood;

how exactly was he able to completely take over operations on his own? did he have some kind of special authority over the previous leaders of the project (whoever they are)?
No. He just got many of the members of the existing team to try his set, helping him out etc. It was the consensus "superior" set, so it stuck.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Wrong. The same developmental team that was in the B+BR worked with Cape on GSH. There was no real "split" just a major change in direction.
I stand corrected.. However, I was more or less talking about the guys who split for PM.

shanus

Smash Hero
This thread is full of misinformation.

Basically after 5.0, between me moving, starting a job, graduating college, etc, I had little vested interest in B+. I had done little work on 5.0 and was being a piss poor leader who was barely involved with the project. There needed to be change in how things were run and Cape stepped up and made his private build GSH1 and 2.

A few months later, out of personal interest, I began working on a melee falco pac to see if i could do it, and it progressed, PM was born.

BEES

Smash Lord
Brawl+ died because it didn't fix many of the principle problems in brawl. It was still too slow, defensive, and shallow, and most of the community that played the game wanted it to go further.

For a while though... it looked like it would be the second coming.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Well, seeing as how the project is dead, there are no leaders. And though I wasn't a leader per say, I was in the BR since GSH and still in it when the project died. Not sure if that's what you meant by leaders or if you just meant Cape/Blind/Veril, but I'll pitch in my two cents.

All I have to say was that it was a fun ride. There is alot of political bull**** I could go into now, stuff about unheeded warnings and such, but that's all in the past. I liked Brawl+ alot. Conceptually, I like it better than P:M (while I like Melee gameplay, I loathe the complete regression into Melee aethetics and the implementation of some of Melee's more tripe mechanics). But I had my fun, and I wouldn't even have the heart to play this (too slow of gameplay, and lack of technicality) or P:M (for the reasons listed above). Or regular Brawl or Melee for that matter.

That's what I think anyway. Oh well, cest la vie. Sayonara Brawl+.

shanus

Smash Hero
Lol so project m started as just a melee falco pac? Thats kinda funny.
pretty much

right around then, dantarion designed injection technique into fighter.pac which set up all the hard work i did for falco to apply to the whole cast

Revven

FrankerZ
I don't really have a whole lot of sentimental value towards B+ right now but, I'm sure if this happened sooner (maybe winter 2009) I may actually be more sentimental. However, because there's Project M I don't really feel too sad. But, I suppose I will tell the tale from the bright beginnings (since some people actually seemed interested). Keep in mind I don't remember every single detail, so, some things may be inaccurate or incomplete.

As silly as this sounds I'm actually going to divide it up since my point of view starts way way earlier than the rest of anyone. :laugh:

Before Brawl hacking started (2004-2007)
I'm just going to make this part quick. Basically, around in 2004 I had an AR (Action Replay) and decided to look for some SSBM codes. Came across a site called arcentral (still exists btw) and started going there daily. For about 3 years (part way into 2008) I was still active and into using codes and stuff for fun (also always trying to understand how they were made). I was a moderator there at one point as well and considered part of the staff. You might be able to find a bunch of posts by me on their forums if you join and search "smk" or something (afaik my account there has had its password changed or deleted because I stopped going there as I got into Smash more deeply).

I caught wind of the Homebrew Channel through a friend from there (one of the hackers actually, GCNHacker87 iirc or as he refers to himself on there now as TwilightSpectre). So he helped me set it up and stuff in the summer when it was finally out. Then I heard about the USB Gecko through the same person and joined GSCentral (like probably my 3rd time at least since that site and forum went through so many staff changes). Basically hung around there and then eventually wiird was made and I hung around there too.

Before Brawl+ (June-October 2008)
Continuing from there, codes started to be made once wiiRD finally came out and I became pretty active on wiird (not so much GSC, just lurked). Nuke actually at one point put me as a moderator (and I still am even though I hardly go there now). ANYWAY, not the point, Phantom Wings mostly hung around GSC so when I started to see him make some pretty cool codes (I forget which ones were the first ones he made so forgive me for not mentioning that detail). So I decided to request a code that probably hundreds of smashers thank KIC (KirbyisCool) for: No Tripping.

You probably thought I was gonna say PW, right? No, you see, PW was actually having trouble trying to make that code. So, I actually bugged one of my friends on ARC that I'd known for years about after he finally got a Gecko and wiird running to see if he could get it working. Every time he had something I'd go and test it until eventually it was working. That code didn't really jumpstart anything but it was something. So, that said, it was posted here eventually (on SWF) in I believe General Brawl Discussion (you can probably find the old thread somewhere if you search hard enough). Anyhow, while continuing to lurk GSC, I noticed someone requesting a few codes that were quite interesting to me, hitstun, l-canceling, and wavedashing (however I believe it was just hitstun & WD, l-cancel was later).

Unfortunately, PW didn't pay much attention to it. However, I decided to persevere and post about it again in place of the person who requested it (I think his name was Lee Harris or something?) PW responded back eventually saying he'd need to know the details of how each one worked in Melee and what exactly was keeping them from not working. As you can imagine, I didn't really know the inner workings of hitstun at the time but I did understand wavedashing so I gave him the details on that. Hitstun I believe someone else went into more detail on at GSC however I forget who exactly (it may have been kupo15).

Anyway, both of those codes weren't released until September (early September). However, neither code was perfect, wavedashing having some problems with ROB along with the other smaller issues (10 frame lag for instance) and hitstun was missing a modifiable value and stopping you from attacking during tumble. Obviously, this was later perfected and MAD was finished in October. L-canceling was the next thing in October and that code wasn't really great either but it was a start (along with S-canceling). Hitstun wasn't perfected until November.

Brawl+ Began (October 2008-December 2008)
Brawl+ began as sort of a discussion in one thread. It wasn't even called Brawl+ until middle October late November. There were about two to three threads, one about using the codes in general, the other about whether to use L-canceling at all or use the auto L-cancel code (which was made as well btw) or to use S-canceling, and one other one I forget what but I think it was the competitive agenda thread that kupo15 started compiling all the codes we had and codes that we still needed. There was a small group of people at the time in the early beginning, I think I can name a few off the time of my head: Myself, kupo15, leafgreen386, Makkun, WindOwl, and... some other people that didn't really stay for very long (I'm not even sure I should have mentioned Makkun). The name Brawl+ originated from Makkun and people just sort of ran with it. Then a thread came along about whether it should be made to be like Melee or try something new. As you can imagine, that didn't go in the direction that most people wanted at the time but it wasn't because we didn't like Melee it was because we knew at the time it wasn't doable therefore we shouldn't try it.

At that point, things seemed to be working out okay and kupo15 started to get in contact more with PW so instead of me requesting codes that I didn't understand the inter-workings of kupo did instead. That's where it all started and where most of the codes came from (such as Frame Speed Modifier and Footstool remap etc.)

Brawl+ Gaining Speed (January 2009-March 2009)
January pretty much consisted of the same process as December did, still getting codes and trying to get things right. There were a few split off code sets in both end of December and beginning of January once the gravity code was figured out among other things (like dash speed increase). People like MookieRah actually got interested and that's where the slogan "Fun Speed Activate!" came from... people eventually winded up hating that slogan. It only stuck though because it reminded people of I guess where B+ sorta started to get interest.

February was about when we actually started to have a code set most people could agree on and I believe this was actually around when shanus joined in. Thus began the different versions of Brawl+ (however these were not daily, they were at least biweekly possibly even more). March brought 3.0 to the picture where we had thought we had good gravity set. 3.1 eventually came later in March with more gravity tweaks and some character tweaks. Brawl+ was gaining so much attention that ChiboSempai also grew interested around this time period.

Brawl+ Going at a Steady Pace (April 2009-June 2009)
This was around the time where 4.0 was being worked on and about to be released to the public. If I remember correctly, this is also when we started to request a back room forum on smashboards (and we may have already gotten it by this time... I'm not sure it's kind of fuzzy right now). And we also started to make a separate IRC channel to discuss Brawl+ within only the backroom members while keeping the public IRC open to people to discuss either the game or other random funny ****. 4.0 was released at the end of April beginning of May I think, to allow for it to be used at Beyond the Limit, Brawl+'s first tournament held by ChiboSempai.

May was good, 4.1 was in the works and coming along just fine. If I remember correctly, 4.1 started the nightly builds so people were spoonfed a new build everyday to **** around with and either report bugs or let us know if something was broken or not right. This continued all throughout May and June and into July, so, not much to discuss here. The Cape appeared during this timeframe as well if I remember correctly.

Brawl+ at its Climax (August 2009-November 2009)
This time period is what I consider to be the climax. Nightly builds started to stop happening once 5.0 released around this timeframe. This was also the 5.0 that was with the broken Ness and Cape was getting mad at shanus about it. I met The Cape in September and he was a pretty cool guy to talk to and have laughs with but when he had something on his mind he wouldn't let it go. So when he found out that his Ness was taking on my Wario (when his Mario was losing to it) he deemed Ness to be broken or "********".

This is about the time when shanus was getting busy and decided to step down and focus on his life putting The Cape as the leader of Brawl+ from then on (this occurred. At this point, I, myself was actually sorta worried for the project but not too worried because it was Cape. He was a pretty cool guy, I met him in person etc. However, much to my dismay **** started to go down the pipe from here. Eventually, 5.0 was left to settle and actually was used at BtL2 which was the ultimate test for if Ness was truly broken. And... the results had at least Ness in top placings once or twice...

Brawl+ Falling Down the Slope Slowly (December 2009-February 2010)
At this point, I didn't really help much with Brawl+ (in fact I stopped helping in September). So I can't really comment too much during this timeframe other than the party of the WBR split up and The Cape went to make his own set with the people who agreed with him leaving people like ChiboSempai in the dust on purpose because they didn't understand anything or agree with them on too much. They went on to make GSH & GSH2 (which were both referred to as 6.0). Both these sets were actually good to most people, unfortunately, The Cape stepped down and put Veril as leader during this timeframe and this is around when things started to get messy.

Veril was using his legendary frame data skills (this guy is just SO good you wish you could tap Z as much as him) to get good boundaries for the stages to put bandaids on the complaint about people living too long. He also had other plans as well that you now see in 7.0 Gold. 7.0 work started here.

Brawl+ The Fall (April 2010-to present)
Once 7.0 Gold was released in this month and the bugs were fixed with it, Veril stepped down as leader some time afterwards and put Blind as leader for some reason or another. Blind not being good at leadership skills actually didn't know what to do. People were expecting a leader and ... nothing happened. Development just stopped occurring in May all throughout the summer. Nothing was done at all, nobody was really told to do anything. It was a jumbled mess and once Blind finally quit (even though he really couldn't be considered leader), there was no one. Brawl+ was essentially done because the people behind it at the time had no leader and didn't know what else needed to be done. It just sort of... died. People lost interest, tourney results at Apex show this as well as the dwindling amount of posts per week in the Brawl+ thread. It was dead long before Bionic actually closed the thread.

To me, it was dead in February. The official death though was just recently because most of you had no idea really as to what happened. Now you do, or at least you should. This doesn't include EVERY little detail because I may have forgotten it or I just left it out because you already know (i.e Pound 4 Brawl+ being a huge success).

That's my point of view. Any questions? :chuckle:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
My friends and I have played B+ since 4.1 till gold. While I must admit even though 5.0/6.0 had some broken mechanics it was probably still the most fun. My friends and I will probably keep playing this great game even though its sad to see it being flushed down the toilet like my goldfish from earlier today. I know I won't forget this great game seeing as how it paved the way for many other Brawl(hack) versions. I do look forward to its incarnation in P:M though. (whenever it gets released). Peace B+ ^_^

5.0 Ness was hilarious.

Chain grabs, non-DIable combos, super speed PK Fire, dair with two hit boxes that both murdered you, uair that chained into itself to dumb percentages before he was given DJC, and PK Thunder juggles.

Amazing stuff. xD

BEES

Smash Lord
5.0 was my favorite overall codeset. Once they took away every hint of brokenness, the game started feeling bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom