• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Acvon 2010 Featuring 256 Person Brawl FFA 23-25/7/10

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Avcon 2010
Adelaide Convention Centre
July 23rd - 25th 2010
http://www.avcon.org.au/2010/

AVCon is Adelaide's premier Anime and Video Games Convention. It is a non-for-profit event organised and run by a dedicated group of volunteers, known as Team AVCon. Founded in 2001, the convention has been held annually since 2002, and was initially located at the Adelaide University in the heart of the CBD.

As a result of its continued popularity AVCon moved to the Adelaide Convention Centre in 2009 to allow for a greater number of attendees. AVCon fans responded to the change in location by attending en-mass, with over 4,000 people through the doors over the course of the weekend. The 2009 AVCon was a fantastic start at its new location. The larger venue allowed AVCon to present its attendees with more of the anime, manga, video games, vendors, cosplay, Japanese popculture, related art and other favourite and new events.

All this comes with one upfront cost at the entrance, once within AVCon, our attendees are only asked to pay for food, drink and any items they wish to take home. All video games, anime screenings, entry into events (either as a contestant or an audience member) are covered in the entry fee.

AVCon 2010 Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournaments (Singles and Teams)

Once again, AVCon will be offering two Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournaments, a free-for-all single elimination and a 2v2 single elimination.

Platform - Nintendo Wii
Format - Single Elimination
Team Cap - 256
Gametypes – Free For All comp: Saturday 24th, 3:30PM-6:30PM
2v2 comp: Sunday 25th, 11:30AM-2:30PM

Rules updates - last updated on 29/06/2010
* These rules are correct at the time of posting.
* Please check back leading up to the event for any possible revisions to these rules.

Universal Rules
These rules apply to both tournaments and are non-negotiable.

Player/Audience behaviour
- Players must exercise sportsmanship before, during and after their matches. Players that exhibit any form of unsporting conduct (swearing at the other player, trash-talking, etc.) will automatically be disqualified.
- The tournament organiser and AVCon gaming staff reserve the right to ban any player or team for whatever reason from the tournament before, during or after the tournament. If a person continues to be disruptive then they may be removed from the tournament area.
- Onlookers in the audience who are rowdy or verbally/physically abuse the players before, during or after the tournament will be forced to leave the premises.
- AVCon does not tolerate cheating. Teams or players caught cheating, glitching, or game fixing can face disqualification.
- Pausing and match-resets will forfeit the match. If a match reset occurs in a free-for-all round, all players other than the offender will be granted an immediate rematch.
- If a problem occurs which is not the fault of the players (hardware failure, disconnected controller, etc), a rematch will be held immediately.
- For any other situation which arises which is not covered by this rule set, the AVCon gaming staff will confer with the tournament organiser and Videogames Coordinator and render a decision. Whichever decision is reached by the tournament organiser is final.
- Warnings and disqualifications will be announced during the match but will be formalised at the end of a match so as to not disrupt play.

Glitches, exploits and quirks
- Metaknight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned. If a player uses this exploit they will first be warned then disqualified.
- Chain grabbing is not allowed. Use of this technique will be looked upon similarly to Infinite Cape comboing
- If during Sudden Death a player Suicide KOs using Bowser's claw, the win will be awarded to the victim.

Controls
- A standard gamepad will be provided for each player at the playing area.
- Competitors are permitted to use their own controllers; these must be checked in with tournament organiser prior to commencing.
- Tournament referees reserve the right to ban personal equipment.
- You will be allowed to play with any controller setup you like but be aware that there is only a limited supply of Classic and Nunchuck controllers. Gamecube controllers will be provided by default; if you wish to play with a different controller, please tell the volunteer running the console at the earliest possible opportunity. Wavebird controllers will not be allowed due to wireless dropout and battery life issues.
- Unlike equipment donated to AVCon, It is the player's sole responsibility to look after their own equipment. AVCon can not guarantee the safety of personal equipment at the convention. You may bring your own Gamecube or Classic controller, provided you make it known to the staff that you are doing so. Any equipment you bring that is not donated to the convention is brought at your own risk and will not be covered by the convention should loss or damage occur. Please do not bring your own Wii remote.
- A number of "No Tap" profiles will be provided on each console, for players who do not use up-tap to jump. No other custom names or button schemes may be used.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Free for All

A maximum of 256 entrants will be accepted for this tournament. Reserve signups will be accepted, but are not a guarantee of participation.

Signups for this tournament open at 11:00 AM and close at 3:00 PM. We will not be accepting signups after 3:00 PM under any circumstances.

Rules for all rounds
Items set to low
Stage set to random
First two rounds will be three minute, three stock. Subsequent rounds will be five minutes, five stock.

First round: 4-player free-for-all, first place goes through
Second round: 4-player free-for-all, first place goes through
Third round onwards: one-on-one, first place goes through
Finals: one-on-one, best of three matches. Stage will be random for all three matches.

Banned items
Assist Trophy
Blast Crate
Bob-omb
Bumper
Container
Cracker Launcher
Deku Nut
Dragoon
Fan
Golden Hammer
Gooey Bomb
Hammer
Heart Container
Lightning
Maxim Tomato
Mushrooms
Pokeball
Smart Bomb
Smash Ball
Soccer Ball
Starman
Superspicy Curry
Timer

Banned Stages
75m
Aero Dive
Big Blue
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom
New Pork City
Rainbow Cruise
Rumble Falls
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Temple
Wario Ware

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2v2)

A maximum of 128 teams (256 people) will be accepted for this tournament. Reserve signups will be accepted but do not guarantee participation.

Signups for this tournament are open from 9:00 AM and will be closed at 11:15 AM. We will not be taking any signups on the Saturday. Under no circumstances will any team be allowed to register for the tournament after close of signups.

All rounds
Items off
Team attack on

Initial rounds
Three stock, five minute time limit

Semifinals
Four stock, eight minute time limit

Finals
Four stock, eight minute time limit
Best of three matches. The losing team may pick the stage to be played on, out of all stages except the ones banned as specified for the FFA tournament.

Random stages
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Any other stages can be selected, but both teams must agree on the choice.

http://www.avcon.org.au/2010/

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Well I rofl at the FFA but am definitely interested in teams.
I'll team with Ant/Apollo/Jamage if they go.

Edit: Lol @ some of those rules.
Just.....
HAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHA
HAHAHAHA
Oh wellz, casual can be fun.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Note: I am promoting this comp I did not do or do I even agree with the FFA rules and have pertitioned (spelling?) many time for them to change it. If others feel as I do (who doesnt) go on their forums and say so.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
lol
I know Jamage.
It's Avcon.
There's no changing it.
I'll go, if I'm not in Perth, to see if I can recruit players.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
- A number of "No Tap" profiles will be provided on each console, for players who do not use up-tap to jump. No other custom names or button schemes may be used.
Thats a rather silly rule, people have other button schemes ya know?

Pete278

Smash Lord
LIES. PEOPLE ONLY PLAY WITHOUT TAP JUMP. THIS IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN CONTROLS.

Its the same thing with WAICON here in Perth, guys think they can run our game better than we do. Oh well.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
- Chain grabbing is not allowed. Use of this technique will be looked upon similarly to Infinite Cape comboinghttp://www.avcon.org.au/2010/
Ugh, not this **** again.

Look, chaingrabbing is not broken/bannable, I've gotten rules like this removed several times in the past (Hi, Luke!). Just get rid of it before I start piling up the evidence. :)

... er, not that I'm going or anything ... I wouldn't be caught dead in SA.

And what the hell is an infinite cape combo?

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Avcon are very, very casual.
And chances are I'll hate everyone there because I hate anime.
Well, not really, but blah cbf finishing.

Also the double rules, from a casual perspective doesn't look too bad.
If I teamed with another player on my level I'm pretty sure it'd be an almost easy victory.

That being said, Avcon's ridiculous rules usually have items on and chains off.
Watch some kid scream at me for tech chasing 'em with Snake.
"OMG YOU CHAIN GRAB CHEAT"
Blah blah blah just stfu Gayblahnova.

Edit: Jamage does doubles have a prize?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I had someone like that in my Tempest pool.

Felt like punching him in the face.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Obviously me, since I ***** the pool so hard. Bleeding hard.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Nah he didn't.

I'm immune to scream cancelling anyway since Ted gave me the auditory body vibration treatment.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
so with the tournament format i'm guessing jamage hopes all the pros are knocked out in the free for all stages and he can show off to noobs by beating other noobs hence therein

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Dekar I dont do FFA the rules at Avcon. I did help them with the 2v2 rules though.
I hope for a final with all pros and with me winning but if that fails what you said would work for me.

zApollo

Smash Ace
I was hoping to be able to attend this for the doubles. But the fact that it involves me having to be there all day makes it too hard. I could spare 3-4 hours at best but that wont work.

Good Luck Jamage!

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Thanks Apollo. Since u, Nova and Ant all arnt going ill be teaming with DJBrowny and should have a good chance at winning doubles. FFA at Avcon is like bloody mariokart it takes skill and luck...... dam I hate luck.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Won the 256 person FFA/1v1 and won $100 and a sweet trophy :D :D :D
Was epic finals with probly over 100 spectators, massive projector and people cheering for both me and the other guy (mainly me ;) )
256 people and barely any ROBs. I showed them all winning with him.
Pics of trophy and stuff: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=138540&id=663677134&l=dd379ff89c

Hopefully me and DJB can win the double 2moro

zApollo

Smash Ace
Congrats on your win yesterday Jamage! Prove them that you can still pull through despite very silly rulesets.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Won the 2v2 today with DJBrowny and won a trophy each and $50 Gametraders vouchers each.
Due to it not being seeded and single elim alot of good teams knocked each other out and a couple of our early matches were harder than the finals.

@Technodeath: He obviosly was decent to make it to the finals as there were a bucketload of good players there (need more to come to monthlys). But there were alot better players that got knocked out in the FFA, the final 16 was 1v1 and I was better than em all that made it through luckily.
Some of the ol melee players were there, I actually knocked out Oli in one of the FFA rounds (would have been a different story with melee).

@Dekar: ROFL you did indeed. But once again I didnt do the rules, I prefer 1v1, I dont play with items and would have preferred to show off against DJB or someone like him as I play better against a better opponent. Either way I won and im very happy :D

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
'Grats Jamage, I would have gone if it wasn't for the price. $40 just for BlazBlue and Brawl? No.

They so lied to me on the forums though, I asked what the prize was for winning Brawl singles and they were all like "Oh, just something small like a plushie or whatever".

I probably would have gone if I knew the prize was $100.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Avcon 2010 Smash Bros Results

Avcon 2010 Smash Bros Results

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Teams
Should be all here.
- Pool A - Pool B - Pool C - Pool D - Pool E - Pool F - Pool G - Pool H - Final 8 -
Finals Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu9XYaO0iwg

Super Smash Bros. Brawl FFA/1v1
Missing some finals results. Can you help?
- Pool A - Pool B - Pool C - Pool D - Pool E - Pool F - Pool G - Pool H - Final 8 -
Finals Videos
Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0wGk37PcyA
Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZz8LtzVarQ
Round 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTx2ZrOhwM0

zApollo

Smash Ace
Was that the finals match? The guy with the sonic cap and hair looked pretty awesome.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
That was the 2v2 Semis and that guy with the blue hair was Aisuka.
We should have fought them in the grand finals not the semi's as they were better and we all knew each other.

Top Bottom