• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
It ain't even about the dough
Its about gettin down for you what you stand for yo

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Anyway, KID ain't the one pushing the buttons for other people.

If I was,, people would be doing a lot better.

like seriously, when i was at pound I would watch some of d1aos' matches, and i would yell at him to do something specific, and he listened to me every single time, and he *****, every single time for it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I see you there D1aos. At least now you can rest easy knowing that you weren't gonna get any money anyway. Actually not getting out of pools gave you a BETTER shot at getting money. Look at cheese and bloodcross.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
True, it sucks for the people who actually placed in the money though. :(

I also want to point out that yes, pretty much every time KID shouted something my way and I went through went it, it worked. Not only that, but on the day of first round pools Speed's coaching gave me the edge I needed to beat Nicole. The main thing I lack is experience, and that will come over time. I don't need someone pushing buttons for me, I just need to know what buttons to push, and that will come with experience. At the end of the day there are 3 things I'm fighting for when I go to a tourney, and that's SoVA (unless it's a SoVA tourney), myself, and Sonic. Why? The reason is because if I take an L, all 3 of those things also take an L.

I've been playing brawl for about 1.5 years now, and going to tourneys for about 6 months. I've come a long way from where I first started out, but I still have a ways to go. By attending more NoVA/MD/NC tourneys, and more national/international tourneys I'm hoping to get exposure to more play styles, get more match-up experience, and form some bonds along the way. The money is not the most important thing to me, it trails behind the drive to be the best Sonic, and the experience of a competitive atmosphere. When I lose a MM, I'm not thinking about what I lost, I'm thinking about what I gained. I MMed KID and PikaPika at Pound V, and although I lost money I earned 2 things; match-up experience against their respective characters and a replay from each to see where I went wrong in my matches.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Ya know D1AOS...hmm...

didnt know i actually helped. I think you're doing fine. You have the right mindset, you have your SOVA tourneys, just keep going. I need to get back on the ball big big big big big big big big big big big big big big big time. :glare:

In other words, I have been spending my time messing around with some other chars. Marth. Peach. Ganon. Falco. Snake. ROB. Tink. Link. Wario. And more. Im learning alot and how other characters do certain things.

KID, I want to MM you, San, and Neil next time i see you. I wanna do the same as D1AOS, but you WILL ditto me whether im campy or not. You're patient too. D1AOS, we can ditto, im not sure if you wanna MM, but i will if you want to. Are you going to Xanadu?

Life

Smash Hero
Insert usual cheerleading here. :p

KID, I want to MM you, San, and Neil next time i see you. I wanna do the same as D1AOS, but you WILL ditto me whether im campy or not. You're patient too. D1AOS, we can ditto, im not sure if you wanna MM, but i will if you want to. Are you going to Xanadu?
I hope he doesn't take that as Falco dittos, LOL

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
omg can we do that?
Ill do falco dittos vs anybody.

I 3 stocked choice and reverse 3 stocked shugo in falco dittos once.

possibly my favorite match in the game.

Life

Smash Hero
I'd totally do Falco dittos as a friendly (I'd do pretty much any MU within reason in friendlies). No money tho, my Falco is bleh.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ cloud
incorrect sir, its not the cg that makes you amazing at falco dittos. its the QCDI that keeps you from dying to the OTHER falcos cg that makes you amazing at this matchup

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
@ cloud
incorrect sir, its not the cg that makes you amazing at falco dittos. its the QCDI that keeps you from dying to the OTHER falcos cg that makes you amazing at this matchup

dat chain grab and QCDI. you are now awesome at Falco dittos. lol mostly trolling anyway.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That's no excuse. The balance of power here in Vegas is pretty even once you look past our top three. A lot of us go back and forth between one another and it's a huge power-struggle and tussle depending on who you get in bracket. I can either place 5th or 17th in that regard.

I won't use me getting bracket-screwed as an excuse though. I should be able to outplay any opponent that comes my way and come out on top.

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its not just top 3 here though. Without even considering the folks that come out for monthly houston events, if you just look at a local 15 person tournament, you see the top 2 Snake, Diddy, Lucario, Peach,Toon Link.

All jokes aside, I feel its more about who you beat than where you place.

Pumped for big smashfest next week though!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
All jokes aside, I feel its more about who you beat than where you place.

Pumped for big smashfest next week though!
I agree, but most people don't look past that.

And boy, the days go by fast. I'm kind of anxious about next week. I need to find a way to calm down and remember to try and implement a more slow-downed game.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Vegas sounds familiar to Edmonton, to be honest.

The Top 3 is essentially solidified, but everyone beneath that it's an unexpected race to see who gets what placing. Most of the time I land 7th place and sometimes 5th. When the top 3 weren't in one of our monthlies though, I scored 3rd place. But even then, some of our lower ranked players are catching up to the Top 3. Not enough to best them in the tournaments, but the matches, sets, you name it, they're getting closer as time rolls on and we improve.

Edmonton is small, but probably one of the stronger Brawl scenes in Canada (in my opinion and not counting Holy Ally Land).

Pat yourselves on the back, guys. We kick ***!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Awful. I should've beat Skunk to play Marz, but then I have to go and ****ing trip into so many different situations and get frustrated and play so poorly. This game is so dumb; who the **** in the Vegassmash community believes tripping should be apart of this already poorly imbalanced game anyway drguiggbduiobrgudiopgbdg? I want names Jerry, **** your disclosed information bullcrap, if I can get a majority to want it out I'll make it happen.

I watched their match. Fox Vs. Sheik was just a slaughterhouse. Marz is so precise with his FTilt locks; if he gets you you're not getting out until the game lets you out (and in fox's case, that isn't before you die). Would've been a lot closer had I played him if I won, but no johns. I would've loved to play his Sheik more, and get more obscure practice.

I'm getting that scotch tape next tourney, and disinfecting wipes too. I can't play if my controller feels like holding on to a slug.

I am upset I suck so bad. There is absolutely no excuse for me losing when I know what I have to do to win (unless you trip 20 times the entire day; but that's another story).

Tesh

Smash Hero
Oh look at that, Kinzer got past 13th at a local. Tails did to and he didn't even beat anyone!!

Kinzer, don't be like that. If you shoulda, then you woulda. Also, don't you ever want to travel and play outside your regiion? You won't be able to get no tripping at bigger tournaments so you might as well get used to it. Tripping is one of the many random things in Brawl.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
-TAG Monthly XXXIV
-http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=10578
-October 31, 2010
-singles 23
-9/23, Arikie, Sonic and Pikachu

-Enouch o' Clock
-http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=10800
-November 27, 2010
-singles, 23
-7/23, Arikie, Sonic and Pikachu

-TAG Monthly XXXV
-http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294253
-http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11088
-December 20, 2010
-Doubles entrants: 8 Singles: 21
-7/21,Arikie, Sonic and Pikachu

-Ragnarok
-http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11227 (some of the bracket isn't the same as what it says online)
- March 6, 2011
-28 singles
-9/28, Arikie, Sonic and Pikachu

-Sacrilege
-http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11626
-March 12, 2011
-13 singles
-4/13, Arikie, Sonic and Pikachu

-TAG Monthly XXXVII
-http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11575
-March 19, 2011
-17 singles
-4/17, Arikie, Sonic and Pikachu

I haven't been here in a long time but I'm pretty sure none of these have been posted for me. If someone has done it already I apologize in advance, although I did a quick search, I might have missed it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Awful. I should've beat Skunk to play Marz, but then I have to go and ****ing trip into so many different situations and get frustrated and play so poorly. This game is so dumb; who the **** in the Vegassmash community believes tripping should be apart of this already poorly imbalanced game anyway drguiggbduiobrgudiopgbdg? I want names Jerry, **** your disclosed information bullcrap, if I can get a majority to want it out I'll make it happen.

I watched their match. Fox Vs. Sheik was just a slaughterhouse. Marz is so precise with his FTilt locks; if he gets you you're not getting out until the game lets you out (and in fox's case, that isn't before you die). Would've been a lot closer had I played him if I won, but no johns. I would've loved to play his Sheik more, and get more obscure practice.

I'm getting that scotch tape next tourney, and disinfecting wipes too. I can't play if my controller feels like holding on to a slug.

I am upset I suck so bad. There is absolutely no excuse for me losing when I know what I have to do to win (unless you trip 20 times the entire day; but that's another story).

Yea Fox vs. Sheik is pretty gay. I felt pretty bad since I thought skunk was pretty decent so I apologized to him and stuff.

But don't get so down on yourself bro. I'm being honest when I say this.....you were pretty impressive. Even Yaz said afterwards that you got a lot better from the last time he had seen you play. Your not close to X's level or anything quite like that yet but your not a scrub.

So keep playing, don't get frustrated, and keep getting better:). N yea.....too bad we didn't get to play more.

Also, is it just me or is the overall quality of Sonic players getting a lot better?

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
1. Good job ari. Doing pretty well. Have any vids of your match vs sky? I'm interested in watching.
2. Yeah mars, the quality is improving for sure. Other players that aren't as well known are stepping it up, even if they aren't winning tournaments. Starting to prove themselves to their respective regions. Besides goggles, because no one likes him.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
1. Good job ari. Doing pretty well. Have any vids of your match vs sky? I'm interested in watching.
2. Yeah mars, the quality is improving for sure. Other players that aren't as well known are stepping it up, even if they aren't winning tournaments. Starting to prove themselves to their respective regions. Besides goggles, because no one likes him.

our set wasn't on the recording setup but the replays might have been saved.
the set took over a half hour

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh look at that, Kinzer got past 13th at a local. Tails did to and he didn't even beat anyone!!

Kinzer, don't be like that. If you shoulda, then you woulda. Also, don't you ever want to travel and play outside your regiion? You won't be able to get no tripping at bigger tournaments so you might as well get used to it. Tripping is one of the many random things in Brawl.
Please don't patronize me. I didn't accomplish much, if anything this time around...

And you're right. There isn't anything I can do about it since it's unfortunately part of the game. It's simply frustrating when a huge chunk of what determines the outcome of the match is chance; which is the same reason why I had to ban Pictochat from all future Neo Vegassmash tournmants.

... But anyway, I'll stick around for a little while longer. I need to keep my word and I said I'll retire when I accomplish what I set out to do first, and I'm not there just yet... I simply forgot what I was suppose to do this time around, so I'll just write myself a sticky note and keep it for next time so I won't forget and be more aware of my actions. Auto-pilot is simply no good.

But don't get so down on yourself bro. I'm being honest when I say this.....you were pretty impressive. Even Yaz said afterwards that you got a lot better from the last time he had seen you play. Your not close to X's level or anything quite like that yet but your not a scrub.

So keep playing, don't get frustrated, and keep getting better:). N yea.....too bad we didn't get to play more.

Also, is it just me or is the overall quality of Sonic players getting a lot better?
Hmm? When was that last time?

*Ahem.* Yeah, thanks bro. I should stick around then. Even if today's worst is better than yesteryear's best, I shouldn't quit now, right?

I'm going to come to Utah one of these days! I owe it to you guys to show you what I'm really capable of! If the next time we have to met is G2/SiNIII (*Sigh* Mother~...), so be it; but I need to travel OoS anyway. there's only so much I can do here locally. As long as there's enough time in advance either in the Utah thread on SWF or on the UGTO website, I'll look and see if I can get anything arranged.

Also yes, I'd like to think the quality is getting better. Everybody is doing their best to improve. I should not be an exception, haha!

Tesh

Smash Hero
Umad cuz u lose for silly reasons? And yet you pledge to retire when you finally fix all your problems and do well? Are you trying to torture yourself?

Also I wasn't patronizing either of you, I was just making a joke about the size of the tournament.

You should watch this before every match. I know I will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR44oOYjvOw

Also if you seriously banned pictochat, I love you forever and I will be coming to live in Vegas.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Not so fast Tesh. They have Japes legal.

I was playing a Falco and naturally I banned FD and then out of nowhere he goes" CP Jungle Japes" and I was :(

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Umad cuz u lose for silly reasons? And yet you pledge to retire when you finally fix all your problems and do well? Are you trying to torture yourself?
Yes, yes, and probably.

I'm somewhat of a masochist with nothing to do until college.

But if not that, winners don't quit before they set out to do what they said they'd accomplish first.

Edit: Dammit.

Tell me what's so bad about Picto?

Is it character dominance?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Not so fast Tesh. They have Japes legal.

I was playing a Falco and naturally I banned FD and then out of nowhere he goes" CP Jungle Japes" and I was :(
LOL I LOVE JAPES!!! Depending on the LGL anyway.

Yes, yes, and probably.

I'm somewhat of a masochist with nothing to do until college.

But if not that, winners don't quit before they set out to do what they said they'd accomplish first.

Edit: Dammit.

Tell me what's so bad about Picto?

Is it character dominance?

I think the events on the stage are at a level of random that should be removed based on precedents in the communities' rules. I LOVE the way the ledges are shaped (not just for sonic) and I like the transformations mostly, but I don't like HOW they show up. There is no warning, and there is no reasonable expectation of skill being involved in random things popping up. If you want to know my full views on random events, feel free to PM me.

Top Bottom