• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
HOBO 29
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=293217
12/11/10
Doubles
5th/16 teams

Singles
13th/35 entrants

Mid Tier Singles
7th/26th

I played better than I expected and beat a couple of people I didn't expect to be able to beat. Got 3 stocked by Zori's Olimar in winner's bracket and lost a very close set to RocketTrainer.

In mid tiers I lost to Razer's Wolf (I was certain I was going to win this) and Trela's Pokemon Trainer. I felt I could have won both of those sets if I hadn't tried so hard to play gay. I got what I deserved there I suppose.

I used Pokemon Trainer in doubles but didn't win at all with him. All sonic otherwise. Should have some videos soon.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Updated the archive.

Quick question guys. Think there's any cleaner way to show these results? Or is this still good enough?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You could probably collapse the months, or if that's too redundant, go by intervals of seasons/three months. Like have January/Febuary/March in the same collapse box or something like that.

Seasons might not work out as well because AFAIK December/January/Febuary are Winter months and you already have it logged by the year.

... Unless Winter starts in November...

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You could probably collapse the months, or if that's too redundant, go by intervals of seasons/three months. Like have January/Febuary/March in the same collapse box or something like that.

Seasons might not work out as well because AFAIK December/January/Febuary are Winter months and you already have it logged by the year.

... Unless Winter starts in November...

Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines.

Why not just separate it, rather than by season, just by quarters of the year? First quarter could be January-March, etc.

Then I'd just label them as "1st Quarter", "2nd Quarter", etc.

If I do change anything, it's gonna wait until the next update. Shifting everything around in text format in the Video Archive MURDERED me.

@Kuraudo: I know. It kinda surprised me too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hmm, maybe I can put up instead, a little section for every player that marks the number of tournaments they've been in, what they've placed (and how many times), and their general placing average?

Not too useful really. Just for fun though. :3

But organizing results by player would be tedious if only because of the way the format is already in.
Unless there's another way to format season, month, year, tournament data, and players all into a neat, reasonable bundle...

Tesh

Smash Hero
Can't you just put collapse tags inside of collapse tags to help like

[collapse=2011]
-[collapse=january]
[collapse=january 5th] [collapse=5:52 AM]Tesh wakes up [/collapse][/collapse] [/collapse]
[/collapse]

Might be easier to find stuff that way.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson & Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
Gemini Presents: New Years
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=10396
December 31, 2010
Out of 18
9th - Tails :sonic:
13th - Kinzer :sonic:

Please note that the results might not be posted on AiB because I don't have access to the page to upload the results since I was asked by Xero to co-host the tournament pretty much last minute.

Edit:
I'll just say who I had to play

First match was against Ivan209 and his Falco. I won, 2-1.
Second match was against Xero and his Olimar. Lost to him 0-2. He did say that I did improve alot since the last time we played
Last match was against Hino and his Falco. Lost to him 0-2.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sync's Sex Saloon 4 (smashfest)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294747
December 30, 2010
Out of 14
9th-Tesh -:sonic:
Lost to Jerm (1-2, beat his pika, lost to his marth twice after)
Beat Sync(2-1, Lost first match, timed him out on Delfino(2) and Halberd(3) )
Lost to Trela(2-0, 3 stocked twice in a row!! SV and RC)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'll never do that at the rate I'm progressing/playing. It didn't feel like me yesterday. I don't know who it was that was playing under "Kinzer", but he did the same predictable things over and over, and it infuriates me because I know if more effort went into it there might just be some nice things in the future.

I only gather that because I've been playing so much Hisoutensoku and I've started to pick up some strategies/ways to deal with strategies, and I've made a huge improvement in that game at a rate I did not expect. Perhaps it's either due to my willingness to adapt or the fact that I now have not one, not two, but three solid mains in that game of which I have exquisite knowledge on, and I'm still a ways to go before I hit my plateau I think.

...Though go figure, I wanted to become the best Reisen, now it just seems like Reimu and Sakuya are getting to the same level, if not better... and I don't know how/where that'll go, or what it's saying if anything, but I'd like to keep practicing until I got my goal. Perhaps it's all a part of learning those strategies about the characters, but it really irks me that I can play other characters of which I've spent probably less time on, and with less "love" if you will, but it still comes out just as good; if not better. If any of this translates to Brawl...

... I'm starting to think I should just CP MK so I stop losing to people I know I could beat.

Freaking Hell. I've never come closer to punching my monitor over than having to deal with Yuyuko's pressure game. There probably are holes, but first time I've had to deal with it I couldn't stand getting locked down time and time again. Just as right now SK92/Falco seems to be my hurdle in Brawl. How to deal with Phantasming away from any attempts at approach, a grab that gets me at 70% every stock, and 120% is instant death if I get grabbed no thanks to BDACUS. Too little of a leeway for me GDI, but I wish it was enough for me to come out on top.

I'm not sure if that's more maddening, or watching people that suck actually get far. You wouldn't believe it if I told you, but this Ven guy played solo Zelda, and he played Z and managed beat him. He also gave Hino a run for his money but thank God Hino beat him... but it was so damn close, if I had his bracket He wouldn't have taken two stocks off of me. Even if everybody else had MU inexperience johns, I know enough about Zelda to not fall for stupid **** and killing me would've been all but impossible.

Anyway, I'd rather quit sooner than I'd betray my true self. Among other things though, I'm going to try one more time before I call it quits for good.

Not only that, but the seeding was sort of poorly done, and the ******* who was supposedly running the tourney placed in the money. I almost have a feeling he manipulated the bracket so he'd get his way into the money. I'll personally see to it that he won't do it again for a second time in a row. That was another learning experience for me, and maybe if I keep coming back It'll get better; who knows.

But no seriously, I'm going to make sure he plays me first round, then if I'm any bit deserving of all my self-hype, I'm going to send him into losers, and then I can only hope that I'll go further, and I won't see him get into loser's finals.

Nothing will excuse me for losing to SK92 and Jose, or anyone for that matter. I will not accept an easy bracket and an easy third, I want to earn my way to the top and take names before I make my leave. I also do not want to chicken out of everything I've said, like how I'd make it to Genesis II, I'd play Sonic Storm when he comes to Vegas, I might be making my way to see one of the Sonic mains, Etc etera., but I hope I'd be making the right decision when/if I ever said I would retire early due to this kind of thing not being worth the investment at the end.

Let's face it, even if I were winning tournaments here in Vegas, what would I do with the money? If anything, I'd probably blow it off on Beer money, and Touhou/Sonic/Miku merchandise. I hope that when I can find/hold down a job I can do that, and save for the future, like buying food, clothes, gas, and some muscle-building eats. One of my resolutions is to build a bulkier body and maintain >130 pounds a month after New Year's day 2012.

TL;DR - I've given up on my abilities.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
So yeah, blew it at SiiS4. Literally, 1 spot away from brackets. Couldn't do it. I just choked mad hard and I'm kicking myself for it. On top of that, I'm done with this guy :sonic:, I'm going all :popo: and :metaknight:. So yeah, I'll be around but I'm through living in Trent's shadow.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh, that's too bad.

I got wrecked really hard, largely to disappointing omg-i-know-better-than-this-trash nonsense, at most tourney's I've been to. It's part of the experience!

But suit yourself; if ICs are more fun then do that. I <3 ICs too :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Chis, help me, I'm being flamed!

Oreo, you should stick you ignoring me. If you hadn't click "view post" you could have just assumed I was posting MY tournament results from yesterday.

I also think you could have linked to a better part of that video to retaliate.

Tesh

Smash Hero
HOBO 30
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295151
1/8/11
Out of 32
13th in singles. Sonic/PT
Last in mid tier doubles
Last in regular doubles

First match was Denti's Olimar. After losing to him 2-0 twice in the past I decided to go pokemon trainer first round. I lost about the same as with Sonic (1 stocked, low percent). I'm still pretty bad at the matchup but I feel like my PT does better. I did CP with Sonic ftl again. 0/3 with Denti.

I beat ToSM 2-0, he is a decent Ike main, but he went Marth first round (not as difficult as his Ike). I definitely need to improve my gimp game so I don't have to kill Ike at 200% every stock.

Beat P4 (mk/lucario) 2-0. MK is always a fun matchup. I'm about 95% certain that Lucario doesn't beat Sonic as badly as MK.

Lost a close set with ShadowPJ(Toon Link) 2-1 , 3rd game last stock last hit. I felt like I could have won, but I need work on this matchup.

Doubles was kind of a pain. All my sets were close (2-1 I think), but there were crucial moments that really took the game away from us. I lets my partners get gimped a couple of times and failed to properly momentum cancel game 3 for 2 of the sets.

And thats all for now. I don't expect many videos.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Infzy, there's a reason that one would keep losing to people one "knows they're better than".

And that reason is "they're not as good as they think they are."

I mean sure, lose once or twice like that, and I'd give it to you that it was a fluke, but if that happened at a majority of your tournaments...then keep practicing.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Bolt Presents: Blue Brawls! (MD/VA Event!) 1/8/2011

Singles
Kojin :sonic: 13th

first tourney since graduating from college, since then I've been playing SSF4 and practicing technique with Sonic. I'm happy with the way I played overall; felt like i found a median between defensive and aggressive that fits me as a player. Not gonna say anything else about how good/bad i thought i was until i get to look at the two sets that should have gotten recorded. I'll link when I find them. be blunt when you see them so i can get better, the good and bad.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
-DMT 4 The Brawl To Begin Them All
- http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295254
-1/8/2011
-7th, Joshua, :sonic:

Pretty much the only time I was in the zone for all of my month-long winter break. OK players were thinking I was going to break Top 4, but although I didn't reach that expectation I also set for myself, I had a ton of fun.

Dakpo is going to get the full results, but the characters the people used from 1st to 8th were:

:metaknight:/:pt:
:falco:
:zerosuitsamus:/:metaknight:
:metaknight:
:pit:
:popo:/:dedede:
:sonic:
:wolf:/:falco:

So yeah, tough crowd.

infomon

Smash Scientist
well yeah, I was just trying to be encouraging, in case his nerves were just goin wild cuz @ tourneys that happens to some ppl

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
well yeah, I was just trying to be encouraging, in case his nerves were just goin wild cuz @ tourneys that happens to some ppl
It would've been my first time making it out of pools in an event where the cap was Top 3 make it out. Like, I dunno. I just feel like that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Losing two match-ups that I'm fairly good in and blowing it. I only went Sonic in matches that really mattered. The rest of my pool got MKed. I could blame my character, I could blame stress. It was mostly me. I still feel like, I need to move on. Like, I can't achieve my goal of being the best Sonic in the Midwest and I'm forever gonna be stuck in that shadow of Trent's. No matter what I do.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
It would've been my first time making it out of pools in an event where the cap was Top 3 make it out. Like, I dunno. I just feel like that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Losing two match-ups that I'm fairly good in and blowing it. I only went Sonic in matches that really mattered. The rest of my pool got MKed. I could blame my character, I could blame stress. It was mostly me. I still feel like, I need to move on. Like, I can't achieve my goal of being the best Sonic in the Midwest and I'm forever gonna be stuck in that shadow of Trent's. No matter what I do.
Stop it. You sound like me right now, and that's not good. What makes you think that you can't do it? Because you keep getting beat or you aren't living up to what you want to be? This stuff takes time, especially with Sonic. You have to keep building on it, and yes, you're going to get thrown down. You have to pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and impress everyone. Watching your vids, you seem to be fairly improving. the only thing you can do is keep playing and cast out all the negativity. I understand that you want to have secondaries and stuff, but throwing Sonic away because you feel that you can't go anywhere is fffffffffff. :(

Come on oreo, you got this. But if it's really stressing you out to that point...i'll understand.

Kinzer, we're going to talk as soon as my stinkin laptop gets fixed on AIM.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
you need to slow down and reevaluate your game then. it is possible that you placed an expectation on yourself you were not ready for, and this is the cause of the stress, which most likely affects your gameplay. There is nothing wrong with putting the controller down for a while, and really focus on what your are doing wrong, and why. I did the same thing and took a different appraoach, which was to play other games, like SSF4. Oddly enough, I got some good advice from listening to a street fighter 4 podcast.

http://www.blgaming.com/content/juicy-bits-podcast-episode-9-zoning

http://www.blgaming.com/content/juicy-bits-podcast-episode-3-how-get-better-street-fighter

I actually sat down, and after listening to these particular episodes, applied them as much as could to Brawl (since they share some of the same concepts) and sonic's moveset. it helped because now I can better recognize aspects of the game, which is helping me improve, and oddly enough, give me a more positive attitude towards getting better, and its shown in my game play recently.

I hope this helps a bit. I actually am writing notes when i listened to them, so maybe if i post them it will help...

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Stop it. You sound like me right now, and that's not good. What makes you think that you can't do it? Because you keep getting beat or you aren't living up to what you want to be? This stuff takes time, especially with Sonic. You have to keep building on it, and yes, you're going to get thrown down. You have to pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and impress everyone. Watching your vids, you seem to be fairly improving. the only thing you can do is keep playing and cast out all the negativity. I understand that you want to have secondaries and stuff, but throwing Sonic away because you feel that you can't go anywhere is fffffffffff. :(

Come on oreo, you got this. But if it's really stressing you out to that point...i'll understand.

Kinzer, we're going to talk as soon as my stinkin laptop gets fixed on AIM.
You don't know what went through my head after Coney scraped me. Aside from "Damn, he's good." All that went through my head was "Trent took him to game 3, I got 3 stocked and then 2 stocked. How?" Then I lost to Cook, an Olimar that Trent has beaten before. I was beside myself. I know how to fight Olimar, I know what I need to do and I blew it and I'm done with it. There is nothing I can do about it other than to keep coming up short. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Let's face it, I'm bad.

Trent

Smash Champion
If I could interject here. Coney destroyed me game 1 from our set which was like 5 months ago or something, and I suddenly went Super Saiyan and almost brought the set back. He's probably gotten a hell lot better in those 5 months while I remained the same skill.

My set with Cook was also insanely close, I didn't wreck him or anything. It was anyone's game. Don't beat yourself up dude, everyone goes through this phase. I had one after Brainshock and I'm hoping to bounce back.

Also, don't compare your skill to mine by who I beat, who I lose too, etc. Just try and improve without trying to be better than another person. Don't make it your goal to be "Best Sonic in the Midwest," Make it your goal to be the "Best Player in the Nation" and make that your constant goal through your whole smashing career.

Being best Sonic doesn't mean jack if you don't make it in the money anyways. Hopefully you'll change your mind and continue pursuing becoming a better player, and a better Sonic player.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
If I could interject here. Coney destroyed me game 1 from our set which was like 5 months ago or something, and I suddenly went Super Saiyan and almost brought the set back. He's probably gotten a hell lot better in those 5 months while I remained the same skill.

My set with Cook was also insanely close, I didn't wreck him or anything. It was anyone's game. Don't beat yourself up dude, everyone goes through this phase. I had one after Brainshock and I'm hoping to bounce back.

Also, don't compare your skill to mine by who I beat, who I lose too, etc. Just try and improve without trying to be better than another person. Don't make it your goal to be "Best Sonic in the Midwest," Make it your goal to be the "Best Player in the Nation" and make that your constant goal through your whole smashing career.

Being best Sonic doesn't mean jack if you don't make it in the money anyways. Hopefully you'll change your mind and continue pursuing becoming a better player, and a better Sonic player.
I've made up my mind. I'm sticking it out with :popo:/:metaknight:. I've tried and tried and I've gotten next to nowhere. I don't even feel like my Sonic has improved any. I ask for critiques but I hardly get any. I'm just falling apart with Sonic. SiiS4 was like the one last opportunity to make a name or something for myself by getting into brackets and showing people what I had going with Sonic. Clearly, I had nothing to show outside of mediocrity.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
you need to slow down and reevaluate your game then. it is possible that you placed an expectation on yourself you were not ready for, and this is the cause of the stress, which most likely affects your gameplay. There is nothing wrong with putting the controller down for a while, and really focus on what your are doing wrong, and why. I did the same thing and took a different appraoach, which was to play other games, like SSF4. Oddly enough, I got some good advice from listening to a street fighter 4 podcast.

http://www.blgaming.com/content/juicy-bits-podcast-episode-9-zoning

http://www.blgaming.com/content/juicy-bits-podcast-episode-3-how-get-better-street-fighter

I actually sat down, and after listening to these particular episodes, applied them as much as could to Brawl (since they share some of the same concepts) and sonic's moveset. it helped because now I can better recognize aspects of the game, which is helping me improve, and oddly enough, give me a more positive attitude towards getting better, and its shown in my game play recently.

I hope this helps a bit. I actually am writing notes when i listened to them, so maybe if i post them it will help...
I agree with your first points. Listening now to those podcasts. I can kinda (very kinda) see how you're relating this to brawl. But slowing down, taking time off to evaluate how and why you're losing, or just taking a break to clear your mind is all things you could do.

Like KID said, if you dont take the time to see why you're getting hit, why you're losing the lead, why you're losing, you aren't aware and you wont be able to move forward. You'll improve significantly that way.

You don't know what went through my head after Coney scraped me. Aside from "Damn, he's good." All that went through my head was "Trent took him to game 3, I got 3 stocked and then 2 stocked. How?" Then I lost to Cook, an Olimar that Trent has beaten before. I was beside myself. I know how to fight Olimar, I know what I need to do and I blew it and I'm done with it. There is nothing I can do about it other than to keep coming up short. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Let's face it, I'm bad.
Coney is really good vs Sonic because the way he plays DDD, and the way he plays vs Sonic period. I got beaten too vs him, but iono if i can use serious friendles as leverage. Trent specializes in the D3 mu, he knows it really well. And about cook...uhmm...ffffffffffffffffffffff. I know what you're talking about period because i'm sort of the same. I most of the time come up short too, but i get myself back up (come on guys, its ME!) and i know that if someone like me can, you can do just as good. Dont put yourself down just because of you coming up short. You can break it.

How do you think i feel when i see a sonic main beat players that i couldn't? I'm shocked, surprised. I want to do it too, and i'll take the certain steps needed til i get there. I want to be the best. I want to place top 3. I want to beat the best, be the underdog and win.

Dont worry, you made a decision to come back with a fresh mind, so you'll do fine buddy.

I always compare myself to other sonic mains and players. Thats something i cant stop sadly. I'll push myself to get better and it gets frustrating because im always like "they're so good, what can i do? how do i get better?" Nothing to do but keep playin and gettin better somehow.

That third point applies to me too. But the money isn't that important (unless thats how you are), but it does show off your skill and that you're capable of placing in good spots in tourney. Yeah, once he gets up and going, he'll feel better about it.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
you got to realize Coney has had sonic experience without even having to go anywhere OoS. He's played me, and Speed multiple times and I'm sure he played shado and probably bionic. not saying that were the best sonics but that's 4 different styles hes come in contact with, while top metas are lucky to have solid exp from just one. give him some credit he knew what he was doing.

All in favor of calling MD/VA "Green Hill Zone," say "steak."

steak.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
who the hell is FNB?

also, you didn't say "steak"
i am disappoint.

To elaborate, I focused more on the Zoning portion, which once i better understood how sonic "zones" i was able to use my training mode time better. Like, i started asking myself, "where does sonic want to be/ where he wants his opponent to be and why?"
and it went from there. It's wierd at first but if you get on facebook I'll try to talk to ya about it if ya want.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lets see here.

Oreo. dont let other people pressure you into playing a character, mk, sonic or otherwise. gotta do whats best for you son.
Also, Trent is right in that coney has probably increased his skill more in the last 6months than anybody ive ever seen improve in 6 months.

FNB = First Name Basis. Speeds crew.

Trent is right, gotta make them goals big.

I think a lot of you would benefit from picking up more traddy fighters like blazblue and SF and applying the fundamental concepts from those games into smash. As of now, a lot of you dont really have any basis to work with, so you dont fully understand the different facets of spacing, risk management and option selecting, to name a few.

Top Bottom