• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ace Attorney General Thread - Spirit of Justice is out! Go play it!

_Sheik

Smash Lord
A Youtube channel going by the name 'Ace Attorney Anime' is uploading the episodes for free. Episode 2 is 480p only, but it felt so eye-pleasing and enjoyable to watch that I thought I was in 720p all the way through.

Speaking of the second episode, unlike the first one, it completely blew my expectations. We're truly in for a great show.

D

Deleted member

I just watched the second episode.
I have to agree with _Sheik _Sheik , my expectations were blown away.
I think the anime conveyed Phoenix's emotions over Mia's death better than the games. While her death was absolutely major to him, I think it was handled better here.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Alright, I binge-watched the two episodes.

The animation is lacking at times, usually one or two instances per episode, but I can deal with it. Maya's laughing in the headbutt-laughing scene was a bit egregious though.

The OP is... cheesy, especially in the parts where they are running, and it cuts off suddenly at the end. The ED is great though.

Though overall, it is doing the series much more justice (heh) than the film ever did. It is skipping out some (admittedly humorous) bits from the games here and there, but that is to be expected if it is to cover everything in 25 minutes per episode.

(Also, is it just me or does Gumshoe's face look off? Maybe I'm too used to the pixels.)

:231:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I watched the first one. There were some pacing and animation issues but it worked pretty well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What did you guys think of Frank Sahwit literally blowing away Wright in episode 1? :p

That was weird.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What did you guy think of Frank Sahwit literally blowing away Wright in episode 1? :p

That was weird.

I thought it was fitting.

Ace Attorney is over the top, especially for the subject matter.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I thought it was fitting.

Ace Attorney is over the top, especially for the subject matter.
Everything till that point at least grounded in reality (as in physically possible), so that felt a bit out of nowhere, I guess.

Anyway, I realised Payne doesn't do either of these animations and I'm a bit sad.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Everything till that point at least grounded in reality (as in physically possible), so that felt a bit out of nowhere, I guess.

Anyway, I realised Payne doesn't either of these animations and I'm a bit sad.

At that point yeah, but it quickly moves to stuff that isn't.

I'd rather have the whole thing a bit silly then just episode stick out.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Another improvement over the last episode, I think. Trial section was hype. Handled far better than in the first episode - the Objections! were flying across the courtroom, and we even got a Hold it! from Maya. The updated autopsy report was perfect - "died pretty much instantly". So silly it fits right in to the series.

I'm really liking the extra scenes you don't get in the games - stuff like Maya with Phoenix after the trial. Maya is absolutely adorable, I just

I think they're doing Edgeworth and Gumshoe good so far too. I had to laugh at the whole scene with Gumshoe and the autopsy report. "The blow to the head killed her instantly, so she used her last ounce of strength to write her killer's name down"?

Quickly on to the second investigation day. I think they covered pretty much everything in the trial section; will check later when I play through the game version. So that's how they handled Redd White's splendiferous vocabulary in the Japanese version, huh... Blatant Engrish (nippongo? :p) everywhere. "You mean the wiretap?" "YES WE CAN!" I forget if they had Gumshoe arrest Phoenix in the original, if not that's another nice extra touch.

Overall, pretty satisfied with this one.

It's interesting how quickly they've gone through the first two cases (well, not so much the first one, but I was expecting the second to cover four episodes). I wonder if it's because they want more episodes in which to cover something like Turnabout Goodbyes, or if they plan on doing some "filler" episodes unique to the anime.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Another improvement over the last episode, I think. Trial section was hype. Handled far better than in the first episode - the Objections! were flying across the courtroom, and we even got a Hold it! from Maya. The updated autopsy report was perfect - "died pretty much instantly". So silly it fits right in to the series.

I'm really liking the extra scenes you don't get in the games - stuff like Maya with Phoenix after the trial. Maya is absolutely adorable, I just

I think they're doing Edgeworth and Gumshoe good so far too. I had to laugh at the whole scene with Gumshoe and the autopsy report. "The blow to the head killed her instantly, so she used her last ounce of strength to write her killer's name down"?

Quickly on to the second investigation day. I think they covered pretty much everything in the trial section; will check later when I play through the game version. So that's how they handled Redd White's splendiferous vocabulary in the Japanese version, huh... Blatant Engrish (nippongo? :p) everywhere. "You mean the wiretap?" "YES WE CAN!" I forget if they had Gumshoe arrest Phoenix in the original, if not that's another nice extra touch.

Overall, pretty satisfied with this one.

It's interesting how quickly they've gone through the first two cases (well, not so much the first one, but I was expecting the second to cover four episodes). I wonder if it's because they want more episodes in which to cover something like Turnabout Goodbyes, or if they plan on doing some "filler" episodes unique to the anime.
Do we know how many episodes it is going to have?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

The opening for the anime was updated.

See if you can spot the differences.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
New wallpaper day:
Also, the demo of AA6 is now up on the Japanese eShop, and datamining it has turned up some interesting info:

So this is likely to be the game's English title (not confirmed, of course, but very likely).

The demo data also mentions a "Special Episode" titled "Turnabout Across Time". This appears to be a DLC case, and chapter data indicates that it will feature an as-yet-unannounced returning character (since the dataminers aren't giving away any plot spoilers, we don't know who yet).

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
New wallpaper day:

Also, the demo of AA6 is now up on the Japanese eShop, and datamining it has turned up some interesting info:

So this is likely to be the game's English title (not confirmed, of course, but very likely).

The demo data also mentions a "Special Episode" titled "Turnabout Across Time". This appears to be a DLC case, and chapter data indicates that it will feature an as-yet-unannounced returning character (since the dataminers aren't giving away any plot spoilers, we don't know who yet).
Not going to lie, I really want to find out who this character is....

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Confirmed: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice hits the eShop in September. Nothing else new in the trailer, except a handful of localised names:
- Kingdom of Khura'in
- Rayfa Padma Khura'in
- The kid is Ahlbi Ur'gaid
- "Spirit Vision" is known as "Divination Séances".

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Confirmed: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice hits the eShop in September. Nothing else new in the trailer, except a handful of localised names:
- Kingdom of Khura'in
- Rayfa Padma Khura'in
- The kid is Ahlbi Ur'gaid
- "Spirit Vision" is known as "Divination Séances".
The kid's name is Aibi Ur'Gaid.

"I'll be your guide."

BRUH.

Did not expect that ending :O

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The kid's name is Aibi Ur'Gaid.

"I'll be your guide."

BRUH.

Did not expect that ending :O
Oh wow, I was expecting Edgeworth or something.

I wonder what this will be like in terms of gameplay and story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, damn. I wonder how they'll handle that in gameplay? Maybe we finally get to do actual prosecuting (though I suspect it'll just be like PLvsPW where Phoenix is more or less just there to push everything in the right direction).
Question is...

Who would be so important that Phoenix feels he has to prosecute them? And why wouldn't Apollo agree?

_Sheik

Smash Lord

Placeholder music from Dual Destinies?

Oldbag's voice acting and lip syncing combination made this really hilarious to watch xD

OH SHIIIIT SHE RAISED AN OBJECTION

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Resurrection....

So on the Ace Attorney subreddit a guy who has datamined the demo AA6 has revealed that...

AA6 is more of an Apollo game as he is the main attorney in cases 2, 4 and 5, with Phoenix being playable in 1 and 3.

Hugh O'Conner will be in the game in some form (not sure if its in a dlc case or not).

From what I can tell DLC is 100% canon, with another case taking place after 6-5 and involves another major character.

...Also Pearl isn't in the main game.

Remember to take this with a grain of salt...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am actually disappointed.

This means that Maya is literally there to be a victim again as she was shown to be the defendant of the third case.

This means we only have two cases where the divination seances play a part.

Am happy that it means more emotional therapy. I liked the mechanic from DD and am glad to see it used.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Has anyone ever crossed paths with the following video? It's a hilarious way to promote the DS as well as the port (+the brand new fifth case) of the first game.

I had no clue you could shout in the mic to raise an Objection. Was it removed during western localization or something?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Gotta say.

The new guy's theme is amazing.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

Ahlbi Ur'gaid
Tehm'pul Temple
there's a witness who patrols the area, called Paht Rohl

At this rate, we'll have a killer named Khil'Ah or something.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I've had a chance to try Spirit of Justice at Japan Expo 2016. All in all, a good introduction (even if I suspect that it's a little different from the real thing, kinda like how there was a difference between the AA5 demo and the actual game).

It was hard to tell for sure, because it's a con and the crowd was being very noisy so I could barely hear the sound of the game, but I could have sworn I heard voice acting bits in-game à la Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Namely, during one of Rayfa's speeches... I might be wrong though.

Also I'm done with playing the original trilogy. Wow. Most of the time when I played T&T, I would cry for absolutely no reason and feel an urge to kneel down and thank the heavens for bestowing us this masterpiece of a game. The climax. The meaning never predicted. This game has broken all of the conventions and I have trouble understanding why it was rated teen. Why is there a creepypasta character? I was honestly scared.

Kudos to all the witty coffee puns and having to deal with the raw incarnation of evil over the course of the whole game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

They have a new opening for the Justice for All arc!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Double post, but whatever

So has anyone else tried the demo? It doesn't cover anything more than the earlier Japanese flash demo - Ahlbi's testimony, and the Divination Séance - but it's still good to get a first glimpse of the official localisation.

Some screenshots, because I can:

The camera zooms in on Phoenix as he says the last part of the line here. I like how they're making much better use of the 3D models and space here, and with scenes like Phoenix running into the courtroom (apparently following the lead of DGS in this regard), as opposed to DD which was basically the DS games with 3D models instead.

Khura'inese judge confirmed to actually be FalKoopa FalKoopa in disguise.

I liked how they did the "main game" hook in the DD demo better (the judge comments on how a quick trial would be good, since time is short in a demo). Maybe they could have tied it into this:

Yes, let's do that...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
AGH!

ITS TODAY!