• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ace Attorney General Thread - Spirit of Justice is out! Go play it!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They're pretty funny jokes too.

At least worth a watch.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
BRING ON THE DLC!
I just finished Turnabout Time Traveler.

I really like how they gave Larry his own Objection animation, it was a nice touch. It was especially good when he produced the photo of the 1st reception and Cornering Together started playing.

Honestly, the killer was pretty obvious from the start, but I still feel like it was well. This case feels a bit shorter than Turnabout Reclaimed though.

The proposal really hit me though. I actually felt really happy when that happened. I feel like this game managed to hit me harder than any previous AA game has, I dunno. I really liked it.

Also, I find it funny that those two are having not just a second, but a 3RD wedding reception.

Also, Hi. Never been here before

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just found this thread. Have been on a marathon since I started the franchise and currently at 5-4. Plan on getting DD's DLC case before SoJ, and my birthday's coming up soon so I can get the money for AA6.
I'm actually curious about something, how does Investigations play? I've been very curious about it and want to try it out and it's sequel by TOTALLY LEGIT LOCALIZATION

Dammit Capcom release AAI2 and Great Ace Attorney already! You have localizers, USE them!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
m actually curious about something, how does Investigations play?
Basically the same. Only main difference is that Investigation sequences aren't in first person.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, it's literally the other games but you being on the Prosecution when it comes to trials? Other than the new Logic thing of course
Oh. I guess that none of the games "trial" sequences take place in an actual trial.

It's more like a police investigation where you call people out on bull****.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So, it's literally the other games but you being on the Prosecution when it comes to trials? Other than the new Logic thing of course
Not quite. You play as Edgeworth, but instead of the first-person view of the main series, you play in top-down overhead view, so you can actually move Edgeworth around the crime scenes to investigate them. Otherwise, the investigations play out more or less the same - investigate whatever looks suspicious to you, and collect evidence. Every so often witnesses and rival investigators will show up, and you have to defeat their arguments to progress - these are basically the same as cross-examinations in the main series. None of the action involves prosecuting actual trials, everything takes place during one long investigation phase, broken up by occasional bouts of cross-examinations (they're still broken up into separate chapters, and cross-examinations generally occur at the end of each one, so the pacing isn't too bad).

Last edited:
Not sure about investigations 2 but investigations 1 pretty much just is trial and investigations all in one day

It still goes investigate -->cross examine-->investigate, but each section is much shorter so it is never like you are investigating for half an hour. Plenty of cross-examine breaks in between. All you do is expose lies just like the main games so it will come very naturally.

Also an absolute ****-ton of fanservice.
:061:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm curious about certain opinions
What is the general opinion of Apollo Justice here? I think the game itself is one of the weaker entries, but still amazing in it's own right, especially a moment I'll never forget in Turnabout Investigation
KRISTOPH'S ****ING PERCEIVE EYES. THAT WILL HAUNT ME.
Which game has the best end game villain? I've unfortunately been spoiled on DD's despite not being on the final case yet
Thoughts on the prosecutors? I like all of them, thought Blackquill and Franziska are currently tied for least favourite

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Best Game Villain?

That might be the new villain in Spirit of Justice.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anime has some problems.

And my personal favorite Pursuit themes are Dual Destinies and Investigations 2.

(stiill have yet to play 5 or 6 for these opinions)
What is the general opinion of Apollo Justice here?
Here im not sure but it seems like the general opinion is that it is the weakest in the series.

I personally loved it. Less than 1 and 3 but still loved it.
Which game has the best end game villain?
Im assuming you mean the actual killer. AA2 easily

Thoughts on the prosecutors?
Preosecutors are the best characters. So easy to love to hate them and hate to love them. Favorites are on the loast page but edgeworth followed by Franz

Best Persuit themes and thoughts of the anime?
My personal favorite is AA5 followed by AA4

All are godlike music though.

I quit the anime around after the second case I think. Didn't hold my interest seeing things i already did.
:061

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Best Game Villain?

That might be the new villain in Spirit of Justice.
Spoilers for pretty much every game.
I dunno, this one is tough.
In terms of sheer crimes alone, Ga'ran definitely takes the cake. Sshe has the most blood on her hands of all AA Villains.
And I must say, I love Turnabout Revolution, but at the same time, there's lots to think about in terms of the villains.
Ga'ran being the villain became very obvious early in Turnabout Revolution, IMO. Similar to Von Karma.
In terms of surprise factor, I'd go with either the Phantom, or AAI2's villain.
In terms of sheer malice/level of hatred alone, I think Dhalia and Kristoph win.
When it comes to satisfying breakdowns/conclusions, though, I'd definitely put Matt, Von Karma, The Phantom and Ga'ran up there. Maybe Godot too, but I dunno.

Overall best villain/best in general is hard for me to decide though.

Alba wins in the 'annoyance' category though.

"DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY"

2 other opinions I forgot to mention:
Best Persuit themes and thoughts of the anime? Lying Coldly and AJ's Persuit themes are tied for me, and the anime while not bad, isn't something I'd rewatch
My favorites would probably be Keep Pressing on and Wanting to Find the Truth.
Cornering together is growing on me, and Caught is pretty good too.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
AJ is by far my least favourite in the series
+ Klavier
+ Kristoph is a good villain
+ Forensic investigating

- The entire plot is basically "how Phoenix got his mojo back", and ends up killing any chance of Apollo having his own plot (he needed two more games to get his own story going, really)
- Wocky
- The "Guitar's Serenade video" plays 45290694602764026 times too often
- The killers in the second and third cases are completely obvious, so most of the cases are spent just running around in circles trying to prove what you worked out ages ago
- Wocky
- The "Guitar's Serenade" video plays 4696402670296701762760 times too often
- Phoenix being an arrogant jerk even in the flashback case, when he should have still been "original", likeable Phoenix
- Wocky
- The "Guitar's Serenade" video plays 70974682470760476107604375601753141535 times too often
- What's the point of it literally asking you "do you want to win?" at the end of the last case?
- Wocky
- The "Guitar's Serenade" video plays 7809468394860681275602734016517979042573407620 times too often
- I didn't like the soundtrack, but this is subjective
- Wocky
- The "Guitar's Serenade" video plays 63467409524967042670426724067024672049520343258729528057 times too often

Ideally, Phoenix shouldn't have been in the game at all. I think once Takumi's higher-ups decided that Phoenix had to be in the game for marketing purposes, that took a lot of the wind out of Takumi's sales. In the end it feels a lot like "Shu Takumi's Contractual Obligation Game".

For me, I think it's a toss-up between Matt Engarde, Manfred von Karma, and
Simon Keyes/Souta Sarushiro
von Karma is intimidating, and crazy over-prepared (he retrained a goddamned parrot). He really makes you want to take him down, but at the same time is constantly belittling you and making you feel as though the odds are permanently stacked in his favour, with how he always seems to have something up his sleeve.
Engarde gets bonus points for being the villain of probably the best case in the series. Also bonus points for his revealing himself after you break his Psyche-Locks - "I'm gonna consult myself" right up to that brandy snifter. He's got the whole thing worked out, and has you praying for him to be innocent right up to the reveal - after which, you want to take him down so badly, but with Maya's life on the line, what do you do?
The way Simon is set up is brilliant. You go through the entire game trying to work out who this mastermind hiding in the shadows is, you get to the end and take down what seems to be the final villain, but none of the loose ends are tied up... and then you find the true villain, and it's the person you least expect. The way he completely transforms once you corner him is great too.

Prosecutors, I did on the last page:
In terms of most competent, and effectiveness as a rival:

1. Manfred von Karma
2. Edgeworth
3. Blackquill
4. Franziska
5. Nahyuta
6. Klavier (He helps the defence way too much. Doesn't make him a bad prosecutor, per se, but makes him less threatening as a rival.)
7. Godot (The only thing he ever does is "where's your evidence, Trite?")

And for what it's worth...
8. Gaspen Payne
9. Winston Payne

In terms of characterisation:
1. Edgeworth
2. Godot
3. Klavier (As much as I dislike AA4, I love Klavier as a character)
4. Manfred von Karma
5. Blackquill
6. Franziska
7. Nahyuta (Love his design, though)

Though 4-6 is pretty close-run for me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
AJ is by far my least favourite in the series
- Phoenix being an arrogant jerk even in the flashback case, when he should have still been "original", likeable Phoenix
I have multiple explanations for this
Pheonix is usually a bit snarky, just as inner thoughts., though he likes mocking witnesses in the first 2 games iirc (April May and Wellington)
Pheonix is usually up against experienced prosecutors, Klavier is literally a rockstar who had no prior history in court
One could argue Pheonix's life was completely on track, no mysteries to solve, no real bad situations at the time and he had a feeling of confidence
Feel free to disagree though

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

The anime isn't great, but not terrible either. I think everyone agrees the animation is poor, and it has some pacing issues as a result of trying to cram everything into so few 20 minute episodes, but it did some good things, like making Oldbag far more likeable, and making the circus case not entirely awful. I'd like to see another season based on T&T (and maybe some new anime-exclusive stuff to fill the gaps where necessary), but if they leave it where it is I won't complain either.

I have multiple explanations for this
Pheonix is usually a bit snarky, just as inner thoughts., though he likes mocking witnesses in the first 2 games iirc (April May and Wellington)
Pheonix is usually up against experienced prosecutors, Klavier is literally a rockstar who had no prior history in court
One could argue Pheonix's life was completely on track, no mysteries to solve, no real bad situations at the time and he had a feeling of confidence
Feel free to disagree though
He's far more than just "a bit snarky" in the flashback case, though. To me he really came across as supremely arrogant and over-confident. I'm actually referring mainly to the things he says outright. Stuff like "they say [Klavier]'s a true thoroughbred of the prosecutor's office, but there's one of those every year", or "there's no substitute for experience". Sure, the first one is true, but the way he says it is rather dismissive, like "I've been there, done that, this guy is nothing". Even given Phoenix has a few years' experience under his belt by then, I can't imagine him so readily dismissing a new challenge like that, or talking down to Klavier simply because he's the new kid on the block.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can we all just agree that the Grammayes are a bunch of assholes?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No.
What about Lamirior? "But she left Apollo alone" You think that ******* of a father would LET Apollo stick around?
That father isn't around anymore.

D

Deleted member

My favorite Pursuit themes are...

Cornered is my favorite Pursuit theme.

I haven't played Apollo Justice, mainly because I don't like how I've heard Phoenix is portrayed in that game. It's like the character development he gained for 3 games was shunned.
There was definitely a better way to put him in without disbarring him...

_Sheik

Smash Lord
One of my French acquaintances (which is fluent in Japanese and plays all AA games in French, JP and sometimes English (although the French localizations have arguably stopped existing since AJ, except for, y'know, PLvsPWaa)) has seemingly figured out why the localization of DGS is actually impossible.

Roughly quoted:

'The game includes or heavily draws inspiration from parts of the Sherlock Holmes lore that aren't normally available to the public. Basically, there exists ten novellas of the Sherlock Holmes that are forbidden to public domain. Capcom might get sued if they decide to localize the game.'

He adds that Capcom might have felt free to use those elements of the SH lore because the game was originally conceived with the idea that it would remain a niche game in Japan and took no consideration of possible future localization to foreign soil.

That line of reasoning is, of course, to be associated with the now-common knowledge that all AA games aren't made with localization in mind.

I'm still betting that #DGS2 is coming to NX.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One of my French acquaintances (which is fluent in Japanese and plays all AA games in French, JP and sometimes English (although the French localizations have arguably stopped existing since AJ, except for, y'know, PLvsPWaa)) has seemingly figured out why the localization of DGS is actually impossible.

Roughly quoted:

'The game includes or heavily draws inspiration from parts of the Sherlock Holmes lore that aren't normally available to the public. Basically, there exists ten novellas of the Sherlock Holmes that are forbidden to public domain. Capcom might get sued if they decide to localize the game.'

He adds that Capcom might have felt free to use those elements of the SH lore because the game was originally conceived with the idea that it would remain a niche game in Japan and took no consideration of possible future localization to foreign soil.

That line of reasoning is, of course, to be associated with the now-common knowledge that all AA games aren't made with localization in mind.

That makes sense.

Was it announced what system DGS2 would be on?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Roughly quoted:

That just leaves a different question. Why is the SH stuff forbidden for the public? Unless your friend meant it was copyrighted

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
That just leaves a different question. Why is the SH stuff forbidden for the public? Unless your friend meant it was copyrighted
The characters themselves are in the public domain: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/27/sherlock-holmes-copyright-ruling-public-domain

What remains off-limits (due to copyright) is the details from those ten short stories published after 1923 (which are public domain everywhere other than the US). If DGS only borrowed the characters, and not any details from the later stories, it would be safe; since it apparently draws directly from those later stories, however, it would need to be licenced to do so (which might get expensive, since it is Sherlock Holmes).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The characters themselves are in the public domain: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/27/sherlock-holmes-copyright-ruling-public-domain

What remains off-limits (due to copyright) is the details from those ten short stories published after 1923 (which are public domain everywhere other than the US). If DGS only borrowed the characters, and not any details from the later stories, it would be safe; since it apparently draws directly from those later stories, however, it would need to be licenced to do so (which might get expensive, since it is Sherlock Holmes).
Still leaves another question. Why not release it in Europe then?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also just beat Dual Destinies. Very solid game
Now that you have beaten five main games... how would you rank them and why?

Also, remember the DLC case. You need to save Orla.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Something I want to say about Dual Destinies. I don't like the new voice actors for old characters. Blackquill is Troy Baker and Athena is Wendee Lee, and they do good jobs, and Apollo is good too. Just...Couldn't we have the old VA's back?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Something I want to say about Dual Destinies. I don't like the new voice actors for old characters. Blackquill is Troy Baker and Athena is Wendee Lee, and they do good jobs, and Apollo is good too. Just...Couldn't we have the old VA's back?
The thing is, the old VAs in the GBA/DS games are mostly just random Capcom employees (some involved with the development of the games), as opposed to actual, professional voice actors. For example, Phoenix is voiced by Shu Takumi himself in the Japanese games, and Ben Judd, who led the localisation of the first game, in English. Edgeworth is voiced by the guy who did the marketing for Dead Rising, and Godot is voiced by Hideki Kamiya in Japanese. This was probably done since hiring professionals to shout three or four words at a microphone and nothing more wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I just finished AAI2. Doesn't the game's villain rank among the top ten gaming antagonists of all time?

Kinda reminiscent of Golden Sun 2's "final boss" if you know what I mean. They share many a similarity (except for Simon's dark past, but then again we don't even know a damn thing about the past of GS2's antagonist.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was told that DGS wasn't localized because of some period accurate racism and that Capcom didn't want to risk the franchise on it...
When does that happen?

D

Deleted member

I was told that DGS wasn't localized because of some period accurate racism and that Capcom didn't want to risk the franchise on it...
Are you sure about that?
As we talked about before, Capcom included passages from Sherlock Holmes that are currently unknown to the west. If they release the game in the west, Capcom will have to spend a lot of money and all sorts of legal mumbo-jumbo.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wasn't told specifics... Sometime after the director said the localization wasn't possible somebody else said that there was obvious racism and a lot of race related humor ("humor?). Oh and there was supposedly a lot self-depreciation related to their race as well.

Top Bottom