• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ace Attorney General Thread - Spirit of Justice is out! Go play it!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Welcome everyone!

Here is a thread where we can talk about the wonders of Ace Attorney.

What is Ace Attorney?

You don't know?

Well, I'll give you a small history.

Ace Attorney is a Capcom owned series where you play as attorneys. You find evidence and use them to find contradictions in witness's testimonies and proving your clients to be innocent. It's a series where you have to use your brain to examine every detail, think outside the box and push the limits of logic. It's a thinking game. Think of it as Professor Layton but with more focused puzzles.

Ace Attorney is a relatively old series that started on the Game Boy Advance. The handheld had three games on it. They starred Phoenix Wright. A blue suit wearing defense lawyer with spikey hair. These titles were a huge success in Japan and when Capcom decided to port/remake them for the Nintendo DS, they decided to localize them for the Western markets. This led to...

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenis Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

These three games were later compiled together on the 3DS for...

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

The three games proved to be major international successes and development on a fourth game started for the DS. This time with a new protagonist, Apollo Justice. This led to...

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

People liked the game but wanted Phoenix Wright back in the spotlight. Capcom listened and made...

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

A 3DS game that starred Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, and brand new lawyer Athena Cykes. Phoenix's revival was a big success and led to a new Ace Attorney game being developed for the 3DS.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice

The game was released to critical and fan acclaim.

Ace Attorney has had some successful spin offs as well. Popular prosecutor, Mlies Edgeworth got two games for the DS, though only one was localized.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Gyakuten Kenji 2

Finally Ace Attorney has starred in a cross over with Professor Layton on the 3DS.

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Finally, one Japan only spin off starring Phoenix Wright's ancestor was made for the 3DS. A sequel is currently being made.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2

The series is one of Capcom's most sucessful series to date. Phoenix Wright and other Ace Attorney characters have shown up in multiple games outside of their series. Most notably Phoenix Wright and Maya Fey have big roles in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Project X Zone 2. The series also has had a manga and has an anime currently in the works.

List of Games:

Main Series
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
Phoenis Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (3DS)

Spin offs
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (DS)
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)

Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken (3DS)
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 (3DS)

Compilations
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS)

I hope that was a good enough introduction.

Let's talk Ace Attorney!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ace Attorney is one of those franchises I know a ton about but have never gotten the chance to play.... Why? Because I have no idea where to start, I am very conflicted on where to start.... Very interested in getting into the series though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's too late for me to post anything meaningful but...

I'm patiently looking forward to AA6.
I'm excited for the anime, it's such a good fit.
I wish Great Ace Attorney was localised, maybe eventually.
And I wait for the full fan translation of AA:I2.

Ace Attorney is one of those franchises I know a ton about but have never gotten the chance to play.... Why? Because I have no idea where to start, I am very conflicted on where to start.... Very interested in getting into the series though.
Just start with the first game.

You can get the collection of the first three games on 3DS too so that's really the best start.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's a series where you need to play the games in chronological order.

I recommend starting with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. It's the first three games for the price of one. You can buy it on the 3DS eshop.

D

Deleted member

It's too late for me to post anything meaningful but...

I'm patiently looking forward to AA6.
I'm excited for the anime, it's such a good fit.
I wish Great Ace Attorney was localised, maybe eventually.
And I wait for the full fan translation of AA:I2.

Just start with the first game.

You can get the collection of the first three games on 3DS too so that's really the best start.
It's a series where you need to play the games in chronological order.

I recommend starting with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. It's the first three games for the price of one. You can buy it on the 3DS eshop.
Oooooh, nice, I wasn't aware that was a thing.... Well, that helps, and I got money in the eshop, guess I know where I'm starting. :)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oooooh, nice, I wasn't aware that was a thing.... Well, that helps, and I got money in the eshop, guess I know where I'm starting. :)

Thanks for the advice guys.
Hey no prob. Glad to help people get in the series.

Be sure to tell us what you think and when ya get it! :)

Has anyone read the manga?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If for some reason one doesn't want to start with the original trilogy though, Dual Destinies is another good starting point, as it honestly has very little to do with the games that come beforehand and doesn't spoil much.

And if you are a Professor Layton fan, the crossover is obviously a good way for you to get introduced to Ace Attorney. Again, has very little to do with the other games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I personally would recommend playing the main series games in order and then playing the spin offs after in any order you can.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ace Attorney is easily my favourite among the few Nintendo series I've played. I love everything about the series - The music, the characters, the humour, the plots - everything.

I've played the original trilogy, Apollo Justice and Investigations 1 so far. I'm seriously looking forward to the animé.

(Oh, and the fact that the series is a very rich source of reaction gifs.)

:231:

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I never played one game in the series.....
BUT!
I still love the character, the story and everything in general. So yeah, i am -1 AT Fan.
tumblr_inline_ntlgsa6yCP1tx7hzp_500.gif

Oh and the music are awesome.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
No better time to start then the present.

Buy Trilogy! :D
I would!...

If it was possible. My parent have already give me alot of money that i already used. So yeah, maybe next time. :x

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I remember playing some of one of the Ace Attorney games on iOS but i have never really completed any of them or owned them and i have said before that i would play them.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
excellent, always good to see more Ace Attorney fans around here

Still disappointed that we probably won't be getting Dai Gyakuten Saiban, that game looked pretty good. Hopefully the anime turns out alright, though - it's covering the first two games, which means we get case 4 of Justice for All, which can only be good, right? As for AA6, I'm still waiting on more info before making up my mind on it. Would rather Athena is an NPC this time around, three attorneys yet again would be too much in my opinion.

Only played the first 3 but damn is his series good.

Plot twists everywhere and awesome characters *cough* Every prosecutor *cough* and even nice music.
Now I just need to catch up with the series with my giant backlog. ;_;

If you're reading this go play the games. Now.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So no one answered it before...

But has anyone read the manga?

Also, who is your favorite character and why?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So no one answered it before...

But has anyone read the manga?
Not yet. Maybe someday, though I don't have much interest in manga. That said I don't have much interest in anime either, and yet here we are

Maya because I find her the most consistently funny character in the series, even in otherwise rubbish episodes like the circus case. Also because something about how she's always trying to smile through the pain (i.e. 2-4, 3-5) clicks with me in some way.

Also Edgeworth, because Edgeworth. Don't really need much more reason than that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not yet. Maybe someday, though I don't have much interest in manga. That said I don't have much interest in anime either, and yet here we are
I will say the manga is pretty much the same formula as the game.

Just less exciting because you aren't figuring it out yourself.

Also Maya got dumber somehow.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm split between Edgeworth and Gumshoe.

The reasons I like them, are a bit hard to describe, but Gumshoe is easy to identify with being a comic butt monkey, while I find Edgeworth's formal style and mannerisms quite appealing.

:231:

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty hyped for Ace Attorney 6 and the anime. Both are looking good so far, but I hope the anime is close to the original.

It might seem a big generic, but Phoenix Wright is my favorite character. He is one of the few characters in gaming that actually feels human. He has realistic flaws, feelings, and reactions and it was great seeing him progress in each game. The Phoenix from the start of the first Ace Attorney is different from the one at the end of Trials & Tribulations.

I also like Miles Edgeworth and Maya Fey. Edgeworth because of his incredible character development and Maya for her charm that can't be captured from other Ace Attorney characters (I like Maya a lot more than Athena and Trucy).
EDIT: I also like Gumshoe for his great character development and Godot for his backstory and philosophical commentary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I personally love Phoenix and Gumshoe.

Gumshoe is just the guy you want to win and when he does it's special.

Phoenix's growth is pretty inspiring. The fluke of a lawyer turning into a master of the trade and owner of his own company. The thing that got me to absolutely love Phoenix was Dual Destinies.

When you aren't playing as him, he suddenly becomes amazingly competent. But when you aren he's the same kind of guy he's always been.

Then I realized, the competent view was how Apollo and Athena saw him. While the less competent one was showing how he felt.

He changed but still retained his personality deep down.

He grew.

Last edited:
Personally i love the entire side of the prosecutors.

Franziska, Gumshoe, Godot, and of course Edgeworth. They prosecutors are all sich good rivals and always fun to take down a peg.

Plus gumshoe is so innocent. Poor guy.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
godot-sips.gif.cf.gif

This looks like a nice place to stop by.

So, is this a spoiler free thread?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just put major ones in bars.
Define "major" please.

I'd hate to say something I shouldn't. I could use my best discretion, but such a definition would help as a guideline for future discussion.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Define "major" please.

I'd hate to say something I shouldn't. I could use my best discretion, but such a definition would help as a guideline for future discussion.
Probably revealing the murderer.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

What do you guys hope for in Ace Attorney 6?

I want Maya to make an appearance. She needs to appear again!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean if she doesn't after all the hinting they've done so far, then I dunno.
I know the Matagama is a hint.

But what others are there?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I know the Matagama is a hint.

But what others are there?
Eh, maybe "hinting" was a bad choice of word. I meant the whole deal with the "Kingdom of Kurain" (yes, I know its Japanese name is written differently to Kurain Village) being a place where its entire justice system is founded on someone's ability to communicate with the spirits of the dead - it's the perfect reason to bring back the person who is supposed to now be the Master of an entire spirit channelling technique. I just worry that maybe it's too perfect.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh, maybe "hinting" was a bad choice of word. I meant the whole deal with the "Kingdom of Kurain" (yes, I know its Japanese name is written differently to Kurain Village) being a place where its entire justice system is founded on someone's ability to communicate with the spirits of the dead - it's the perfect reason to bring back the person who is supposed to now be the Master of an entire spirit channelling technique. I just worry that maybe it's too perfect.
Oh man.

I want Maya to be Phoenix's secret weapon.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Hype theme!

I want Maya back so bad. It's most probably gonna happen this time though, considering the whole spirit medium theme and the teasing in DD.

Top Bottom