• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ace Attorney General Thread - Spirit of Justice is out! Go play it!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I personally won't be getting it as I hate what they did to Phoenix,
Considering Phoenix was able to recover, I don't see why its that big of a problem.

He had to change tactics to deal with an opponent who couldn't be taken down normally.

Once he was dealt with, he went back to normal and even grew from the experience.

D

Deleted member

Considering Phoenix was able to recover, I don't see why its that big of a problem.

He had to change tactics to deal with an opponent who couldn't be taken down normally.

Once he was dealt with, he went back to normal and even grew from the experience.
Although that's true, I am not a fan of how his personality was from what I've read and I just don't like the fact that he was disbarred. It's irksome to me.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Although that's true, I am not a fan of how his personality was from what I've read and I just don't like the fact that he was disbarred. It's irksome to me.
Have you played the game? It sounds like you've just read stuff about it.

As for the disbarring...

He was set up and he is proven innocent at the end of the game.

Its how he gets his badge back in Dual Destinies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Have you played the game? It sounds like you've just read stuff about it.

As for the disbarring...

He was set up and he is proven innocent at the end of the game.

Its how he gets his badge back in Dual Destinies.
I read what happens really.

And I am aware of the reason why he was disbarred and how he was set up.
I'm not a fan of him getting disbarred being a plot device.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I read what happens really.

And I am aware of the reason why he was disbarred and how he was set up.
I'm not a fan of him getting disbarred being a plot device.
Since its not permanent, why do you feel that way?

D

Deleted member

Since its not permanent, why do you feel that way?
Although I know that Phoenix acted the way he did was, well, an act, I am not a fan of him getting disbarred and him acting the way he did. After 3 amazing games and seeing him grow as a character, I thought his act was character regression in a way. I don't like to see Phoenix like this.

I feel like if they wanted to shoe-horn Phoenix, I think they could've done that without disbarring him. Why not have the case have no conclusive end and Phoenix figuring out what happened for the next several years?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why not have the case have no conclusive end and Phoenix figuring out what happened for the next several years?
Er...

That is exactly what happens.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Er...

That is exactly what happens.
I know, but I rather have that be the case without disbarring him.
I think that having an inconclusive case for 7 years to be an interesting setup, but I think it could've been done without disbarring Phoenix.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm on the final case of SoJ and this discussion is hilarious in hindsight
Uendo's Kisegawa personality is female, meaning she'd be trans
Does that even apply in that sort of situation?

I'm legitimately not sure.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I'm also on the final case of SoJ and damn, the fanservice is real.

My biggest gripe with the game is how Maya hasn't matured at all

But SoJ remains a very enjoyable ride regardless.

Restarted AA5 after forever. Having to replay the first case, and the first 2 parts of case 2 because of deleted data really made me want to stay away. Thank goodness for being able to skip text right off the bat, unlike previous games.

Finished case 2, and even though it's only the second case, and half of it was a replay, I thought the twists were pretty great.

Been having a craving for law for a while, so hoping to have some fun.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The Ace Attorney 15th Anniversary orchestra concert was recently posted on Youtube, and it's pretty great:

I can't choose a favourite song from it, they're all great. Though if I had to, their version of Ray's theme (from GK2) is amazing.

Just beat AA5.
Only took me like a year and a half. . .

Music is stellar as always

Not a fan of the mood matrix. It was nice once or twice, but overall I just wan't a fan. It was just awkward for me. Most of the cases were fine, but I think there might have been one or two inconcistencies. I can't remember them, but I now it was the Tenma case.

Athena is a great newcomer for sure.
Blackquill took a really long time for me to warm up to him, but I did around the 4th case. The last case was especially great for him.
Fool Bright was an. . okay replacement for Scruffy. He was a bit funny, but nothing will replace Gumshoe.
Now for spoilers
Loved when Aristotle turned evil and had the greek helmet look. Made me smile

Last case having Maya get a cameo and Pearl show up, immediately followed by MY BOY EDGEWORTH is such blatant fanservice lmao. Maybe not as blatant as AA3's final case, but still.

****ING BOBBY IS THE GODDAMN FINAL BOSS. WHAT THE ABSOLUTE ****?!?!?!? WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
One of the craziest twists in the series for sure
Game over

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want more Ace Attorney games.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Well, we had rumours late last year of compilations of the first six games to be released for Switch some time this year, followed by the next main series game by the end of the year: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/13/...new-ace-attorney-for-switch-plus-compilations

Plus comments from people like series producer Eshiro saying they're working on "something that will make AA fans happy": https://gonintendo.com/stories/298729-capcom-working-on-something-to-make-ace-attorney-fans-happy

Considering we're now more than halfway through 2018 and haven't had any official announcements, though, it's hard to say if there's any weight to them. The compilation seems feasible enough, since all six games are already on 3DS and mobile, so porting them wouldn't be a massive job, but if a new game was coming by the end of this year I'd have thought we'd have heard something on it by now. Maybe they're waiting for the Tokyo Game Show or something, which would give them two or three months of build-up before release (unless it got delayed, of course).

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I've currently only played the original Ace Attorney game, but I already quite like the series. For those curious, I'm currently on Case 1-5 ("Rise from the Ashes"), so I'm close to being finished with the original game (as for how far I am in the case, I'm on the second investigation day).

D

Deleted member

I recently started playing the Ace Attorney series and I absolutely love it.
I'm currently on the second case of Trials and Tribulations.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I recently started playing the Ace Attorney series and I absolutely love it.
I'm currently on the second case of Trials and Tribulations.
Hey, every game is good. I'm glad you love it.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I've recently beaten Justice For All. I recently decided to write up my full thoughts on how I feel about it overall, but I haven't posted them yet, so I thought to do so now in this thread, since this is the main Ace Attorney thread.

One thing that I didn’t like as much compared to the first game was that it didn’t really feel like most of the cases were connected to one another. While there is the theme of Edgeworth’s disappearance and Franziska wanting to have her revenge on Phoenix, the cases aren’t really connected by a single incident, like how the cases in the first game were connected through the DL-6 incident(Although Rise from the Ashes had SL-9 and not DL-6, but that case did have somewhat to do with Edgeworth’s past). That said, I liked most of the cases in the game (except for the 3rd one) despite that though.

I do feel like Psyche Locks were a cool addition to the game, although I don’t really have much to say about them in particular. The health bar was a little difficult to get used to at first, since the first game had the 5 Strikes system. I didn’t mind it, but at times it did make certain parts of the game feel very difficult (not so much that actually figuring stuff about the case was tough, but more so that it can get very punishing if you mess up).

As far as the new characters that were introduced are concerned, I like Franziska von Karma as a rival, but if feels like she didn’t really develop that much in the game, and I feel like Edgeworth and Manfred are more interesting characters. I do hear that she gets more development in the later games in the series though. I liked Pearl as a character, but it did occasionally feel like she took some of the spotlight away from Maya.

I feel that the cases are paced much better in this game than they were in the first one. It's probably because trial days had multiple phases along with the fact that investigation phases were longer (at least, it feels like they were).

And now for how I feel about the cases themselves:
The Lost Turnabout:
I don't really have much to say about the first case. Richard Wellington was an amusing adversary, but I don't really have much to say about it in particular despite that, and I feel that The First Turnabout was a better starting case.

Reunion, and Turnabout:
I thought this case was pretty cool, although I prefer Turnabout Sisters to it. I did end up feeling bad for Ini/Mimi Miney, due to every thing that had happened to her. I suppose it kind of helps that the person she killed (Dr. Grey) wasn't exactly the nicest.

I did feel like Morgan Fey would have had more of a role in the case than she did, since she seemed to be quite important. Part of me thought that she would testify more than once or that she had her own breakdown, but she didn't.

Turnabout Big Top:
I don't really have a whole lot in particular to say about this one. Out of the characters in the case, I enjoyed Max Galactica and Acro, but I don’t really like most of the other characters (especially Moe).

I’m not a fan of the fact that trial discourages pressing the witness(at least during one of Moe's testimonies), since I tend to press all (or at least most) of a witness’s statements. I know that Turnabout Goodbyes did the same thing, but the penalties in that case were less harsh than the one’s in this case.

Farewell, My Turnabout:
I have a bit more to say about this one. To start off, I’m a really big fan of all 3 of the characters that are introduced in this case: Matt Engarde, Adrian Andrews, and Shelly De Killer. I quite enjoy how the case tries to make it seem like a retread of Case 1-3 (Turnabout Samurai) at first, only to continuously subvert it, with Maya’s kidnapping, your client being the real guilty party, etc.

Going in depth as to why I like Matt Engarde, I really find him to be a very effective villain. At first, he seems to be somewhat dumb, but still nice. Once you break all five of his Psyche Locks and find out that he is Shelly De Killer’s client, however, his facade breaks, he shows the scar that his hair was covering, and he shows you just how horrible of a person he is.(Side note: the first time I saw Matt show his true self, I was kind of startled, which I suppose is understandable, given how ugly his scar is) For a while, it seems like there’s no way for you to defeat him while still saving Maya, and when you are able to defeat him, it’s incredibly satisfying, because whether you plead “Guilty” or “Not Guilty”, he’s screwed.

As for Adrian Andrews, I find it quite easy to feel sympathy for her, given everything that she had been through prior to the case and what she had to go through during the case. It feels particularly bad when you have to accuse her of being the one who killed Juan Corrida, even though she isn’t the one who did it.

Lastly, I quite like Shelly De Killer’s Noble Demon and Even Evil Has Standards traits, in that while he is a professional killer, he tries to build trust between him and his clients, and that he despises traitors, which is ultimately what leads to Matt’s downfall.

To be honest, this case is probably my favorite in the series so far. I’ve only played the first two games (and as of this writing, a little bit of the third), but I know that this case is quite the fan favorite, and for good reason.
Overall, I’d say that while the game isn’t quite as good as the first game, it’s still pretty good.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Additionally, since I own all three games in the trilogy (since I'm playing the Trilogy version), I've also been playing a bit of Trials and Tribulations lately. Currently, I'm near the end of the second case, and what I've played of it has been quite great. So far, I'm quite liking Godot (especially his theme). He doesn't seem to be as threatening as the other prosecutors though (except Winston Payne, but that's not saying much). I haven't finished the second case yet, so I'm not going to state my thoughts on it just yet, but I do want to talk about the first case.
I'm just going to be honest here and say that this is my favorite starting case out of the ones from the games that I've played. For one thing, the fact that you get to play as Mia Fey is pretty cool. I did find it kind of interesting that the game didn't show you who the killer was right away, although I suppose you can still figure it out through process of elimination anyway.

Speaking of which, I liked that Dhalia Hawthorne felt like more of a threat than either Frank Sahwit or Richard Wellington. I do end up feeling sort of bad for Phoenix though, since "Dollie" was just using him the entire time. Actually catching her was pretty satisfying, especially since the dialogue implies that Mia knows who Dahlia was and that she (Dahlia, not Mia) got away with murder before.

Also, Winston Payne's hair flying off at the end of the trial was hilarious.
I'm looking forward to playing more of it whenever I can.

Top Bottom