• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

According To Sakurai, Patch 1.0.4 Will Be The Final Balance Patch

Masked Marill

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6935-1624
Well looks like it's back to melee for me, I mean it's pretty obvious that diddy's just gonna run the place, the only thing that would possibly bring me back is if character striking become a thing (akin to stage striking before a match) but what's the chance of the competitive community actually trying something new?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
the only thing that would possibly bring me back is if character striking become a thing (akin to stage striking before a match) but what's the chance of the competitive community actually trying something new?
It's not new, TOs can strike Meta Knight in Brawl for obviously obvious reasons since 2011. Most choose not to do it, but the option's there.

Last edited:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
So we only have the incomplete versions and that's what everybody is basing their opinion on. Okaaaay... Do you happen to know what magazine this has been published in?

Also for everyone to know, the article makes no mention of Diddy Kong at all. It also doesn't say "that they may fix glaring issues". Where are people getting this stuff from? They only mention they (currently) have no plans for a patch but that they may improve the online mode more little by little. Like Ryu said, they're not saying they will NEVER patch it again.

If someone would update the post on the home page to avoid spreading misinformation, that would be very nice.
Posting this here to for everyone to notice. Please update the first post, or at the very least the title.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Posting this here to for everyone to notice. Please update the first post, or at the very least the title.
I second this.

I myself was a bit worried until you pointed this out.

Masked Marill

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6935-1624
It's not new, TOs can strike Meta Knight in Brawl for obviously obvious reasons since 2011. Most choose not to do it, but the option's there.
I don't mean it in a sense that the character is banned from a tournament, I mean it more in a sense that before each set the two players can strike 1 or 2 characters from the total selection in which the opponent is not able to use for the rest of that set, this encourages players to learn more characters as opposed to learning the best one, makes the game more interesting to watch and play, as opposed to just watching the same old diddy ditto's over and over again.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
The game can always be more balanced, so I can kinda understand this. Of course it would be nice if we actually got a game where every character was at about the same level, but it's also nice to have a meta that doesn't change that much so we can get used to it. Also, I had no idea that Diddy was broken. I guess I've been living under a rock or something.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The game can always be more balanced, so I can kinda understand this. Of course it would be nice if we actually got a game where every character was at about the same level, but it's also nice to have a meta that doesn't change that much so we can get used to it. Also, I had no idea that Diddy was broken. I guess I've been living under a rock or something.
Diddy's not broken.....his Uair is though
I third this, maybe adding (and putting emphasis on) the word may in the title..........
The Derrit is still sifting through writer's applications! If you haven't heard back, don't worry! He's getting to it! Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
DON'T TALK TO HIM, IT WILL TAKE HIM MORE TIME TO READ YOUR APPLICATIONS!!!!!!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Diddy's always been a pain in the ass to me. The only difference is that this time I'm actually fighting :4diddy:, not Bananna Duo.

I'm salty about this: Sakurai said :4littlemac:has the lowest victory rate online, yet still he nerfs his recovery a bit more. Not that big of a deal, because chances are, if I'm trying to use his Side+B, I might as well already be dead anyway.

My biggest issue now is :4shulk:. Infighting against him is virtually impossible, I HAVE to rely on characters with long ranged weapons to be even close to beating him.

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
I want a meta that doesn't constantly change, so aside from Diddy I'm pretty happy.
What? Why would you want that? that will get stagnant after a while as the best characters will stay the best and the worst characters will go unused(Melee). its fun to have a game that constantly changes because that keeps people engaged(League of Legends). it helps keep things interesting and helps make the game feel new by adjusting to the buffs and nerfs of several characters. i hope that sakurai will change his mind and keep adjusting the game to mix things up.

But if not , oh well its Smash Bros im playing it anyway

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
i think smash's balance is pretty nice aside from diddy's advantages

hopefully that counts as a glaring issue
It's way too soon to call Diddy a "glaring issue" especially since I distinctly remember someone using a weird character to completely dismantle a Diddy in a recent tournament.

Smash 4 has so many characters that even if some are much better than other I feel as though each one of them will have a huge weakness to at least one other character, balancing them out and decentralizing the metagame.

What? Why would you want that? that will get stagnant after a while as the best characters will stay the best and the worst characters will go unused(Melee). its fun to have a game that constantly changes because that keeps people engaged(League of Legends). it helps keep things interesting and helps make the game feel new by adjusting to the buffs and nerfs of several characters. i hope that sakurai will change his mind and keep adjusting the game to mix things up.

Even in Melee you see people experimenting with other characters as a counter pick to higher tiers. This sort of thing will become even more present in a game with 50 characters, and if customs start making their way into the game that could change the game up even more. There's already more than enough content to keep the game fresh for years to come and we haven't even gotten all of the characters yet! MewTwo could drastically change the Smash landscape for all we know, and he might not even be the only DLC character offered.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
People find something interesting, "lol sakura gonna patch ruin our fun."
Sakurai quits patching, "wtf sakurity we need patches game is so broken u don't even no."

Jeebuz, shut up, smashboards.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
I'm in favor of this. I've said this many times before elsewhere, but overpatching or frequent patching in competitive games is bad for the meta. Look at what's happened (and will continue happening) to Starcraft 2's kneejerk Dev interference. Many good players I know bring up the problem of its overpatching all the time.

In my opinion, a lack of further balance patches will help the low-tier characters the most, because players will have a chance to really work out their strats and techniques and discover potent new counterpicks. The top-tiers might slowly start to plateau or hit a ceiling with regards to new techniques because they're so overplayed, while the low-tiers will have lots of time to grow and find new exploits.

Jugoken

Smash Cadet
Diddy is only an issue imo because people dont see that other characters can shine. Ive seen Nairo do very well against Diddy players using Dark Pit. Playing to win and picking the best allows the meta to develop at a stagnant pace as not as many of the possibilities are explored.
mr.e did well against mew2king as well

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
"But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them."

Smash 4 is not in lock down. With this, you probably won't see characters being buffed, but a character may be debuffed if too strong.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Wait a minute, but the article itself says they'd step in if there were any "glaring issues". Doesn't that go against the so-called claim that they won't release any more patches?

Does this smell of sensationalism to anyone else?

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wait a minute, but the article itself says they'd step in if there were any "glaring issues". Doesn't that go against the so-called claim that won't release any more patches?

Does this smell of sensationalism to anyone else?
You pretty much called it, let me quote what people actually got when they translated it,

SamuraiPanda EDIT: I'm taking the liberty to change the title of the thread to a less sensationalist and more accurate title. Nowhere did Sakurai state they will never patch the game again, he only says there are no current plans for that. They also mention in the article that they will be tweaking online bit by bit (whatever that means) and they will only patch custom moves if they are glaring problems with them. They additionally mention that there is a character that Sakurai thinks is average at best but has an abnormally high online win rate. The character is not mentioned.
http://smashboards.com/threads/saku...to-release-another-balance-patch-soon.382835/

Like, @ The Derrit The Derrit Can you fix the article, it's misleading and from what people have translated, it's not accurate to what was posted on eventhubs.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So glad this is just sensationalism...

I'm sure there's at least one 0-dead combo out there that we've not found yet...

Last edited:

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
He said that he doesn't like doing clones that much and that there wouldn't be as many as in Melee. Which is different from saying that there would never be clones in future installments. Aside from that, clones are merely a natural occurrence mid-development, since the roster is set in stone at the beginning. They didn't know that what they originally intended as an alt would end up being their own character, it simply happens.
Dude, it was a joke post. No need to be exact.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Say goodbye to b-reversal?!

I do think that Sakurai pay strong attention to the smash community
and the awesome stuff that's been discover over the years.
Like wavedashing for starters....

:pow:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Quick. Everyone be Diddy and lets get him to a 90% win rate to show how OP he is.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
I don't get you smash boards. Enough with all the hyperbolic melodrama and delusional rhetoric. The cycle of endless chicken-littling has got to stop.

First: "Ahhh! Change is possible! We are all going to die!"

Then: "Ahhh! Change isn't possible! We are all going to die!"

Next: "Ahhh! Change is both possible and not possible! We are all going to die!"

This wasn't even surprising news. From the WiiU perspective there has never been a (post-release) balance patch. The game undoubtedly went through countless balance changes during it's devopment. Characters probably fluctuated from way better than Brawl Metaknight to much worse than melee Kirby. Bugs galore (and any resulting ATs) came and went like bad fashion trends.

In reality, 1.04 was a relatively mild update to fix some bugs and bring the 3DS version close (but not completely) in synchronization with the Wii U version. Nothing more, nothing less.

Take a lesson from perspective. The metagame is still very, very young. Everything will change, but not because Sakurai releases regular balance patches - rather because change is an organic part of everything in life. Change can but scary. Change can be cathartic. Change can be beautiful. Change can suck.

So stick some pins in your Sakurai voodoo dolls and throw darts at your life-size Sakurai poster with sharpie-drawn devil horns. Then settle down and realize this for what it is: nothing at all.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504

This isn't League though; the amount of memorization and practice put into the meta shouldn't potentially be thrown out patch after patch. There will be a best character regardless of any patch anyway.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Scrub huh, be careful for what you wish for. And Smash-4 is easy I don't care about that game. You all mention Brawl is unbalanced and MK this and that when you all should realize that you're acting like kids once more but this time it is a different game in the series of Smash Bros. Play me in Brawl and pick any character and I guarantee you'll be the 'scrub' thanks.
ooo, can I take his place? not to insult you more like I like playing you so i felt like playing you on tues or something. Wonder how you got pranked man, probably chreest.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
At first, I was about to get mad, until I noticed EventHubs sucks at translating the important pieces...LIKE THE STUFF IN THAT CORNER. Please. Whenever you translate something, AT LEAST GIVE ALL THE INFORMATION. NOT JUST PART OF IT.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
ooo, can I take his place? not to insult you more like I like playing you so i felt like playing you on tues or something. Wonder how you got pranked man, probably chreest.
Ha ha, he thinks he knows but he doesn't know what he's ranting about. If you want sure we can Brawl if you still play the game. And idk who surprised people would really. I just assumed it was Matsuokai.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Well I was planning on playing with Zelda, hoping that later on they would patch her and give her a good chance against other gamers, yet it seems that I should lose hope now. I guess same thing goes for Samus. I'll have to keep up even if the disadvantage are high. I though that if they kept placing in a few more patches, we would have a Ultra Street Fighter balanced style.

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
I don't get any of the unnecessary complaining about Diddy Kong being too OP or whatever. I mean, there ARE ways to counter Diddy, and as a :4shulk: and :4drmario: main I have more problems fighting R.O.B. than Diddy. Just give it a little bit of time and everything will work out, :4diddy:counters are appearing and if everything else fails, it's consdered a glaring issue, thus making a necessary patch after THE METAGAME HAS DEVELOPED.

Chrishare1

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chrishare2
3DS FC
4296-3188-3029
welp better start practicing how to counter diddy but i do think its balance minus his up air but lets ee maybe mewtwo will bring some changes

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Oh,:4drmario:, we'll make it work. We'll make it work. You and your horrible recovery. :4sonic: I'll continue to hate you most of all.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
In reality, 1.04 was a relatively mild update to fix some bugs and bring the 3DS version close (but not completely) in synchronization with the Wii U version. Nothing more, nothing less.
This has nothing to do with the article buuuuuuut....

The WiiU and 3DS versions are different then?

Whew... I thought it was just me messing stuff up when I could do it on someone's WiiU but not on my 3DS.

On the flip side, this kind of sucks since I don't own a WiiU but try to play in tournament...

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
This game still needs balancing updates in my opinion.

Top Bottom