• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

According To Sakurai, Patch 1.0.4 Will Be The Final Balance Patch

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
This has nothing to do with the article buuuuuuut....

The WiiU and 3DS versions are different then?

Whew... I thought it was just me messing stuff up when I could do it on someone's WiiU but not on my 3DS.

On the flip side, this kind of sucks since I don't own a WiiU but try to play in tournament...
The Wii U version basically had 1.04 before the 3ds did. Any differences between the games are very, very miniscule (like I think blast zones may be slightly different for FD).

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
If this is true, I can't help but feel sorry for these characters unless the meta develops and brings something good for them:

:4bowserjr:
:4lucina:
:4greninja: (kind of)
:4olimar:
:4palutena:
:4ganondorf:
:4dedede:
:4falco:
:4zelda:
:4charizard:
I support this. Like, why would he stop putting out a balance patch right now when characters like Charizard has specific design flaws like how his Jab 1 has little to no hitstun where almost any character can just Nair out of it before it can link properly into Jab 2 unless you hopefully get it through mashing the A button, how his Bair has so much landing lag on it that there is far more risk than reward for trying to edgeguard with it and the flame has such a tight hitbox, or how his UpSmash doesn't link properly and leaves him completely wide open for a counterattack. I mean, he may do another patch in the far off future but damn it he needs it now along with some of the others that are suffering from poor design.

Hey, but at least we have Diddy Kong and Sheik to get good with, right??? (Sarcasm just doesn't work over the Net.)

*sigh* I'm sorry, I'll just go and get a drink... Don't worry, it's Chateau Romani.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Nerf the unanimous choices and nerf anyone who would rather win more easily than have a better game.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I said it before, and i'll say it again...

PRAISE THE DORF FOR HE IS GOOD!!! HIS GANOCIDE IS EVERLASTING!!!!!!

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
If this is true, I can't help but feel sorry for these characters unless the meta develops and brings something good for them:

:4bowserjr:
:4lucina:
:4greninja: (kind of)
:4olimar:
:4palutena:
:4ganondorf:
:4dedede:
:4falco:
:4zelda:
:4charizard:
Don't feel sorry for us Ganons. We still have our chainchokes, techchases, insane killpower, hard-to-kill-ness, and Ganocide :awesome::awesome:

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
After Patch v.1.0.4 removed a few glitches and techniques from Smash 4, the some of the Smash community adopted the mantra "in before patch." Whenever someone found a powerful technique or interesting idea, many expected to see it patched out immediately. However, it appears that creator Masahiro Sakurai has no further plans to balance the game with patches, outside of updates to improve online functionality.

Hoping your character will get buffed like Shulk did? You're out of luck.

In an interview from Famitsu, Sakurai made it clear he felt balancing the game was no longer necessary. Here is a translated portion of said interview, provided by EventHubs.

In the future, do you plan on adjusting or balancing the game further through a patch?

Sakurai: We don't have any such plans, but at the very least we will be working on a few things connected to the online play experience, bit by bit.

If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them.

That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?

Sakurai: When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*

See the untranslated interview scan here.

---

What do you think about this being the final version of Smash 4? Were there other changes you had hoped to see? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is still sifting through writer's applications! If you haven't heard back, don't worry! He's getting to it! Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
My friend doesn't even go against Diddy Kong players

J0Y

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4141-3331-3724
who here is a Samus main and agrees that Samus doesnt need buffs? I think Samus really needs it.Ive been playing her day 1 and against skilled players and EVERY CHARACTER but samus has a move that can make up for their weakness.or have a move that kills early...

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Honestly I dont think anything else needs to be patched anyway...game has been out for a few weeks and there's no need to change anything else after the patches we've had already. Plus I'm still loving my much deserved Shulk buffs. :)

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
i want a nerf on Ness. I F*CKING hate Ness. Yesterday i won everything like twelve plays in a row, but then a new challenger came up, spamming only pk fire and backhtrow. There was litterally nothing i could do against it. The PK fire really needs to stop stunning. It should give knockback when hit, not keep the foe in the fire, making it almost a standard to continue by grabbing, throw down, and f-air a few times after giving a 0% a change to almost 60%.

I never really played against hard to beat Diddy Kongs, but i fear himn a little now that i see everyone complaining about him...

Grackin

Smash Rookie
He said he's going to fix glaring issues... Let the meta develop a bit and I'm sure he'll fix things that happen. No need to blow this post out of proportion .

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Yo everyone needs to chill about diddy i understand he's good but theres always gonna be a top tier regardless. AND IMO SMASH 4 IS SO BALANCED ITS LIKE THE ONLY HAVE A AND B TIER CHARACTERS

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
i said balance patching

i hope it's a mistranslation

i don't even care if they're not major patches, just bring the terrible characters in line with the really good ones and I'll be happy
Exactly like Megamans animations need to be reduced BIG TIME

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Exactly like Megamans animations need to be reduced BIG TIME
I disagree completely because Megaman is already a good character. It sounds like you're using his smash attacks, in which case that means you're not using Crash Bomb/Blade/Leaf Shield and jab and ftilt, which means you're probably not playing him correctly

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
I disagree completely because Megaman is already a good character. It sounds like you're using his smash attacks, in which case that means you're not using Crash Bomb/Blade/Leaf Shield and jab and ftilt, which means you're probably not playing him correctly
i barely use his smashes i use buzzsaw more than anything then i use his f tilt or down tilt

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
who here is a Samus main and agrees that Samus doesnt need buffs? I think Samus really needs it.Ive been playing her day 1 and against skilled players and EVERY CHARACTER but samus has a move that can make up for their weakness.or have a move that kills early...
I have to admit I'm still waiting for her to be capable of charging in midair...

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I doubt this will be the end of the patches, because I have a feeling Mewtwo's return to Smash will not be as universally positive once people actually start using it.... granted, most of the new changes will be so that it can seamlessly be integrated with everyone, but who knows if anyone else will be tweaked from under our noses.

I have to admit I'm still waiting for her to be capable of charging in midair...
you mean outside of Project--- *shot*

Last edited:

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
It's way too soon to call Diddy a "glaring issue" especially since I distinctly remember someone using a weird character to completely dismantle a Diddy in a recent tournament.

Smash 4 has so many characters that even if some are much better than other I feel as though each one of them will have a huge weakness to at least one other character, balancing them out and decentralizing the metagame.

Even in Melee you see people experimenting with other characters as a counter pick to higher tiers. This sort of thing will become even more present in a game with 50 characters, and if customs start making their way into the game that could change the game up even more. There's already more than enough content to keep the game fresh for years to come and we haven't even gotten all of the characters yet! MewTwo could drastically change the Smash landscape for all we know, and he might not even be the only DLC character offered.
you DO see people trying to counter pick higher tier characters but it doesnt work, they STILL lose exept for rare occasions.this game is fresh for now because its still new , but im afriad this will eventually be a case where the few high tier characters will be used , and the rest unused. mabey im wrong but im seeing a brawl-like tier list down the line.(side note , i hope mewtwo isnt the only character offered either.)

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
you DO see people trying to counter pick higher tier characters but it doesnt work, they STILL lose exept for rare occasions.this game is fresh for now because its still new , but im afriad this will eventually be a case where the few high tier characters will be used , and the rest unused. mabey im wrong but im seeing a brawl-like tier list down the line.(side note , i hope mewtwo isnt the only character offered either.)
I don't know what you're talking about. Sure the lesser players counter pick and they don't get as much out of it but I've seen time and time again the best players are picking funky characters and doing amazingly with them.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
This is nothing short of bullshid.

I know Sak never said he is not planning to NOT PATCH EVER AGAIN...... but the sole idea of that happening is mind blowing.

This game is more balanced than old ones... but still there are just too many strong characters up in the top...and too many very average ones in the bottom.

Charizard is VERY bad compared to his brawl version...WTF.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
According to some redditors, this is actually a huge mistranslation. What Sakurai js actually saying, is that he doesn't have any patches planned at this time. Here's where I got the information.

Remember, this is a mistranslation.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
if anything kirby needs more buffs. seriously buff his range on his feet and grab range and give him some combo potential. i can't believe sakurai is oblivious to kirby's weaknesses.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Dear Santa,
All I want for chiristmas
1) Diddy Balance patch
2) Diddy Balance patch
3) Diddy Balance patch

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
seeing as video games nowadays get many patches, I think it's refreshing to see a game only get like one or two patches and that's it. It's a testament to how well made the game is.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
These are the threads where players who don't know how to adapt lurk.

They will complain about everything. If Diddy loses his Uair then they will cry about Rosalina or Sheik.

Sorry guys, complaining doesn't make you a respectable player.

While I'm at it, DThrow into Uair isn't a legit combo.

Keep rolling and spamming smash attacks kids.

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
Sakurai is a liar I think we should all know this by now. I see a balance patch coming not soon but, there will be one.

Top Bottom