• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

According To Sakurai, Patch 1.0.4 Will Be The Final Balance Patch

Kempatsu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kempatsu
3DS FC
2251-4505-3091
I honestly do not believe him. You make 2 games with the clear intention of having them stick around for a long time (Nintendo's at least).

It is Sakurai's game but first and foremost, it is Nintendo's. I highly suspect they have every intention of occasional updates. Sakurai may not but Nintendo does.

It's possible they're going to wait and see how the meta game develops before changes are made.

Fortunately now, our voices can be heard. Social media is our ally.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Another MetaKnight here folks yet we blame Brawl and result to banning. I bet Smash-4 wont be like it use to once Diddy Kong takes control now.

I knew this would happen btw, never trust Nintendo they don't care about their fans.
Thank god I'm a fan to more than one Nintendo-based franchise or I would really be salty.

vypex

Smash Cadet
Only real thing i'd change about diddy to make it a little more fair is the change is side B to either a grab all the time or the kick all the time, maybe lower the launching power of his up air a little bit but nothing drastic, main problem facing diddy for me is his side b either i block and get hit by the grab ability of it or roll and get his by the kick, so too give people a chance to know what to do against him change that kick/grab up

Morbi

Scavenger
Be careful what you wish for, I guess. I was JUST complaining about balance patches making an inconsistent meta-game and the notion that there would always be a "top" character regardless of whether or not Diddy Kong got nerfed. The complaints are inevitable and we will learn to deal with Diddy... but damn, I really wanted that clown to get nerfed.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Every time I see a Sakurai interview it seems like he is saying "Oh god please don't make me work anymore on Smash u guys I'm literally dying just Mewtwo and I'm retiring to my private island".

In the end, its Sakurai the one who can't get off the Mr. Smash wild ride.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Another MetaKnight here folks yet we blame Brawl and result to banning. I bet Smash-4 wont be like it use to once Diddy Kong takes control now.

I knew this would happen btw, never trust Nintendo they don't care about their fans.
Not really, Diddy Kong is far from being on the same status as Meta Knight. It's merely scrubs like you who are already blaming the balance of the game rather than your own ineptitude for adaption who are exaggerating his "brokeness".

TheArabSamurai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheArabSamurai
3DS FC
5172-1967-5562
Oh hell no, we need Diddy to be nerfed, all we need is one more patch.

Sakurai please don't do this to me.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Oh and what Sakurai said: "We don't have plans at the moment"

What the fanbase heard: "I'll never, ever patch this game again"

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
If this is true, I can't help but feel sorry for these characters unless the meta develops and brings something good for them:

:4bowserjr:
:4lucina:
:4greninja: (kind of)
:4olimar:
:4palutena:
:4ganondorf:
:4dedede:
:4falco:
:4zelda:
:4charizard:

Big-Boss

Smash Cadet
NNID
Big-Boss_MGS-pro
3DS FC
1951-0047-6439
So no more backwards aether ledge grab... disappointed isn't even the right word for this tragedy, more like disbelief. ike had enough nurfs, why take out one of his best brawl kill moves?

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Not really, Diddy Kong is far from being on the same status as Meta Knight. It's merely scrubs like you who are already blaming the balance of the game rather than your own ineptitude for adaption who are exaggerating his "brokeness".
Scrub huh, be careful for what you wish for. And Smash-4 is easy I don't care about that game. You all mention Brawl is unbalanced and MK this and that when you all should realize that you're acting like kids once more but this time it is a different game in the series of Smash Bros. Play me in Brawl and pick any character and I guarantee you'll be the 'scrub' thanks.

Last edited:

ikari7789

Smash Rookie
Scan isn't mistranslated so much as it is just poorly translated, and according to the scan, it doesn't even appear that they have the entire interview. The very end of their scan starts to talk about the game balance, the rest is discussing how players have been reacting to the game so far and what kind of stats that they've been collecting (with one character in particular being strong, but unmentioned). I'm feeling too lazy and cheap to go pick up the actual magazine, but my credibility is this:
Living and working in Tokyo.
Office location? Across the street from Bandai Namco

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
You know, I think we all have the Brawl syndrome here where we think this character is anything close to Meta Knight where of all the tournament streams I've watched, I've yet to see him take a single one. Does that mean I don't think he's not top tier? No, he definitely is and he is a problem that I have faith Diddy will be addressed (for better or worse).

Y'all need to relax. It's only been less than ONE month. Less than 30 days and we're already calling for a nerf and talks about banning a character. Sometimes I think this community needs to hear what they are saying. Top tier =/= Broken. Tiers =/= your ability to play the character. I think as a community (and I'm guilty of doing it myself) we're hyper focused no tier lists and who's better than the other rather than enjoying the damn game.

Also, just to give an example of how stupid this all is: The character that I've seen on my research that is considered the best in Ultra SFIV was Yun. Alright, now I admit I haven't seen a whole lot of SF streams and I'm not even huge on the SF scene but based on what I've seen at EVO and Capcom cup this past weekend, Yun isn't anywhere near the finals. It could have just been because there's something about Yun that people have like Rosalina where they don't pick them, but I kind of doubt it.

I know comparing SF to SSB is like comparing apples to oranges but just because a Fox or Falco are considered "top tier" it doesn't mean a Peach, Jigglypuff, or Sheik might take it. Brawl was a rare exception where one character literally shut down every possible option for other characters and even stages. Ask yourself: Is Diddy Kong on that level yet? Yes he's strong, but considering this game's meta isn't even in its full stride, give it some time. If they don't patch it, then we'll find a counter.

/rant

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
And so we were stuck with Diddy bandwagon-ers being the meta, using the character to win for free with the braindead down throws during every single match for all 5-8 minutes.

I had hopes for Smash 4 but every top 8 I see as of late is already having a bunch of Diddy in it. It's annoying. Absolutely no respect to anyone that literally picked up this character just to win easily because of the bs he has (ie: M2K and Denti, among others). Imo the only ones that are ok are Jtails and ADHD, at least they actually know the character and don't opt for the braindead easy wins.

Strofirko

Smash Master
This community is very bipolar,to not say another thing.

Last edited:

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I kindve find this to be dissapointing because i was honestly looking forward to years of updates to characters deemed overpowered in the community! This in my opinion was gonna be the "communities game" but nevertheless it is Daddy Sakurai and im sure he knows what he is doing with this decision:D

SpScarecrow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4699-7829-1600
Diddy is only an issue imo because people dont see that other characters can shine. Ive seen Nairo do very well against Diddy players using Dark Pit. Playing to win and picking the best allows the meta to develop at a stagnant pace as not as many of the possibilities are explored.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Just like he said there would be no more clones. :yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
He said that he doesn't like doing clones that much and that there wouldn't be as many as in Melee. Which is different from saying that there would never be clones in future installments. Aside from that, clones are merely a natural occurrence mid-development, since the roster is set in stone at the beginning. They didn't know that what they originally intended as an alt would end up being their own character, it simply happens.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Diddy's playstyle is so one dimensional. If you can't adapt then you deserve to lose

henkass

Smash Rookie
It makes sense why this would happen. Sakurai probably just wants a break from all of this. The good news is that if anything is completely OP, it will get patched. But at this point, better learn those matchups.
This is exactly what I think too, people should just learn to get better and learn the matchups.

Strofirko

Smash Master
You know, I think we all have the Brawl syndrome here where we think this character is anything close to Meta Knight where of all the tournament streams I've watched, I've yet to see him take a single one. Does that mean I don't think he's not top tier? No, he definitely is and he is a problem that I have faith Diddy will be addressed (for better or worse).

Y'all need to relax. It's only been less than ONE month. Less than 30 days and we're already calling for a nerf and talks about banning a character. Sometimes I think this community needs to hear what they are saying. Top tier =/= Broken. Tiers =/= your ability to play the character. I think as a community (and I'm guilty of doing it myself) we're hyper focused no tier lists and who's better than the other rather than enjoying the damn game.

Also, just to give an example of how stupid this all is: The character that I've seen on my research that is considered the best in Ultra SFIV was Yun. Alright, now I admit I haven't seen a whole lot of SF streams and I'm not even huge on the SF scene but based on what I've seen at EVO and Capcom cup this past weekend, Yun isn't anywhere near the finals. It could have just been because there's something about Yun that people have like Rosalina where they don't pick them, but I kind of doubt it.

I know comparing SF to SSB is like comparing apples to oranges but just because a Fox or Falco are considered "top tier" it doesn't mean a Peach, Jigglypuff, or Sheik might take it. Brawl was a rare exception where one character literally shut down every possible option for other characters and even stages. Ask yourself: Is Diddy Kong on that level yet? Yes he's strong, but considering this game's meta isn't even in its full stride, give it some time. If they don't patch it, then we'll find a counter.

/rant
You got the words of my mouth,right now people is requesting weekly patches without wanting to create new strategies against the problem itself .

henkass

Smash Rookie
Personally, I 'm okay with this. Part of my intentions with each installment is to at least be adequate as all of the characters on the roster. In spite of tier listings I find that all of the fighters having promising potential. Do I play a pretty good Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Diddy Kong? Yes. But I also have had many winning streaks as say Olimar and Kirby. If you want to be good as a character I suggest you play as them to develop a strategy as that character. If you wait for a patch to make an already balanced and good character "better" because you can't seem to get good with them as they are, you are not going to get far. The same can be said about waiting for your opponent's fighters to be nerfed.
This is what people need to understand, I play as Dr. Mario and DK and I can play all/most people fine, and if I loose, it's probably cause my opponent played better than me. It is the individual skill that counts, mostly, if not a character is too OP, but that doesn't seem to be the case yet.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Surely as good as Diddy is, he won't be as far ahead of the pack as metaknight was in brawl, right?

I have to assume every character has at least 1-2 bad/even matchups at worst. It felt like the Meta knight dominance was immediate and everlasting, Diddy took a while to rise to the top, and it is possible that all the play against Diddy could result in him falling back off if there are certain characters that can expose him.

I do agree the patches should have been fewer and far between rather than immediate.

Also Nintendo get it together, we want custom stage sharing!

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
I find hilarious how people think that diddy will be the king, first, he isn't unbeatable he is strong but not unbeatable, second, the game came out 3 months ago and there are a lot of characters that people sleep on probably because in 64, melee and brawl there were a lot of characters that weren't viable but I don't think that it is the case, on the final version of smash 4 well I like it, I think that it's pretty balanced and that is how it should be, project m is a bit more balance. I'm kinda sad that we won't see characters buffed(marth) or nerfed but at least all of the AT we find will work

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
If this is true, I can't help but feel sorry for these characters unless the meta develops and brings something good for them:

:4bowserjr:
:4lucina:
:4greninja: (kind of)
:4olimar:
:4palutena:
:4ganondorf:<-----------------------------------
:4dedede:
:4falco:
:4zelda:
:4charizard:
Dude, he's not that bad; he's a high tier, and mid tier would be his lowest at the least.

Top Bottom