• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A URC members thoughts on the Metaknight Ban

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Any insults from here on out get infracted

--

And now I'm here, and would like to hear your reasoning on why you think this. Also while addressing us you can use you or you guys, not they trying to talk around me.
I was referring to the CO people. What exactly do you want my reasoning on? Too much going on. Confusing one person with another right now.

How about this. You come to a tourney and we can MM then? ROBvsMK. If we are so free then any of your pocket characters will suffice. Also just because you come from a state with good players, doesn't make you any good. Just so ya know.
Come to this tourney and play my Ganon http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311951

I never said I was good. I'm just saying that inviting top players that are ****s to my state wouldn't upset me because they wouldn't even win. And we have the champ ALSM who times out every game ever and Razer who likes embarrassing people in friendlies on live stream.

Bees, you can ride in my suitcase to the Austin tournament I'm going to in November.
Won't be at that tourney.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Bees, you can ride in my suitcase to the Austin tournament I'm going to in November.
OH MY GOD REALLY? THAT WOULD BE GREAT! When is it? Hopefully not before Finals. If after then I probably could go. Unless you were joking.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Come to this tourney and play my Ganon http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311951

Won't be at that tourney.
Who cares? I can go to an oos tourney maybe. I am much more interested in bettering my scene than flexing my epeen. Sorry dude Your Ganon<<<<<< Learning experience of a lifetime playing big players that don't hide behind others and those who have accomplishments in their state so they can talk bull.

Also a tourney on a monday at your apartment. The same week as Apex. (which means people probably won't show up even with plenty of time to catch flights.) hmmmmmm...Obviously no way this is a knee-jerk backlash to the Unity decision and sounds legit on a monday. Sorry though. Will probably be in school also I usually don't go to tourneys oos that are held in an apartment lol. Find a venue then maybe I will consider it. But hey once the salt wears off if you decide to host a normal tourney(even if you decide to make it MK legal) Send me a message and I will see if I can come. Just not to a strangers apartment 2 or 3 states away lol.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
If it means taking someone's money I'll go to an apartment, long as someone gives me a ride there :awesome:

Nah but I got school too LOL

Bees!

Smash Ace
If it means taking someone's money I'll go to an apartment, long as someone gives me a ride there :awesome:

Nah but I got school too LOL
Same, being a poor college student is tough lol. Also it is at an apartment and if a low enough amount of people show up hypothetically winning will probably put 40-50 bucks in my pocket to go towards the 100-200 or so it took me to get there in the first place.

Reizilla

If I wasn't already at 5 points...

Who goes to school on a Monday? Doesn't change that my Ganon won't take a poopie pie all over whatever character you play. My Ganon would probably be #1 in Colorado too. Maybe then you wouldn't have wanted to ban MK.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
**** you douche. Guess what? I am from Colorado too and it wouldn't be hard to kick your pathetic *** at Brawl. In fact I bet you probably would get 2-pieced if you even showed up to a Brawl tourney in Colorado. You want to talk ****? How about you come to a tourney here?
DUDE its just a game no need to get all froggy over this

You aren't a supermodel, nor are you from Paris.
lmfao

Bees!

Smash Ace

Who goes to school on a Monday? Doesn't change that my Ganon won't take a poopie pie all over whatever character you play. My Ganon would probably be #1 in Colorado too. Maybe then you wouldn't have wanted to ban MK.
I have Writing and Rhetoric as well as Intro to Japanese on mondays. Also since you said you can do it must be true. I will have Meno get a spot ready for you on the PR.

I think it will be like this

1.) Reizilla :troll: / :ganondorf:
2.) Reizilla Ivan Ooze
3.) Reizilla Arceus
4.) Reizilla Something
5.) Reizilla Something else

The reason I make this self deprecating piece of humor is to show how much I really don't sweat you. After saying what you just said I really could never take you seriously. Now unless you come to Colorado and do this it probably wont happen. ANd if you fail well then you probably weren't as good as you thought then. XD
Also I wont respond to you after this as I am done with this thread and have more important things to do. Unless sometime in the future you send me a tourney that it would be reasonable as a college student to attend. In the meantime I leave you with this taken from youtube.(You may want to get ready to infract me Chibo.)

MIke, I love you.

-Rei-Gun
MyZombieDogAteMe 1 hour ago.
He probably will never look at you during so...
Stay Free Rei. [u o]

Krystedez

Awaken the Path

My Jiggs will mass murder all the generations of your Ganon's ancestors from the Nabooru tribe.

And then she will lick the blood off Final Destination's center sphere.

...hm. Sounds like a texture hack. Ignore me.

~whispz away ~

Reizilla

Mostly nobodies. Yeah, Bizkit is alright and Mikehaze is pri good. But the rest of the players?

AZ's done his stuff, but he's always seemed like a prick with an agenda, imo.

Delux, openly admits he's a nobody, literally.

M@v, not even close to a top player. Just posts a lot like he knows what he's talking about.

P-1, he seems like a reasonable dude. Not a bad player either.

T1mmy, good player. I got nothing against him. Knows what he's talking about and whatnot.

T-Block, random decent player of a bad character...

Tin Man, most known for being all over Dabuz's nuts at that one tourney.

Today, does she even play the game?

Zac, biggest MK hater/super prick (one of those guys that Bees was complaining about, from what I've heard around here) been retired for like a year.

Yink, most known for being a girl...... hasn't done anything notable playing-wise.

Chibo, not a bad player. I'll admit, I've never read too much of what you've had to say, except that you hate ponies.

Z'zgashi, ummm, not even a decent player of a bad character from a random region, most known for... trying to be Fluttershy?

Xyro, washed-up, hard-headed, stuck in the past. I don't think I need to say more. Though he is a very funny dude.

Technical Chase, who? Seriously.

Don't know who the last member is. They're not listed on the page.

But yeah, not really the most respect-garnering people/players you have back there.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Mostly nobodies. Yeah, Bizkit is alright and Mikehaze is pri good. But the rest of the players?

saltsaltsalt

But yeah, not really the most respect-garnering people/players you have back there.
Well, you only highlighted bad things of about 4 of them???

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Surprisingly enough, you don't need to be an amazing top player to be "somebody." People who don't place top 3 can still know something <_<

AZ's done his stuff, but he's always seemed like a prick with an agenda, imo.
Did you know that AlphaZealot has been ranked 1st in Ohio? Did you know that he was the Brawl host for MLG, arguably the largest and most important Brawl tournament series? How about that even without Brawl, he still works for MLG.

Delux, openly admits he's a nobody, literally.
Did you know he is one of the directors of the Smash Lab? A group completely based on knowing the complete ins and outs of the game lol

M@v, not even close to a top player. Just posts a lot like he knows what he's talking about.
Did you know that M@v has actually been power ranked on occasion, and is currently? Even though PA isn't the most active thing in the world right now, he's actually only one spot below me atm. He is also basically the only consistent host in anything of PA that isn't Philadelphia. Mav also has a good sense of work ethic and effort, and pays close attention to the community.

P-1, he seems like a reasonable dude. Not a bad player either.
I can't comment too much on him personally since I haven't met him yet, but I know he is a solid player who is power ranked top 3 in his state.

T1mmy, good player. I got nothing against him. Knows what he's talking about and whatnot.
So with all this why include him here lol. Also basically one of the only TOs in the pac north west zone, and regional representation to accurately keep in touch with all regions.

T-Block, random decent player of a bad character...
And hosts many events in western Canada. When we opened up the URC for Canada as well, we started off with Tin Man and T-Block, can you think of any better TO candidates?

Tin Man, most known for being all over Dabuz's nuts at that one tourney.
Which was actually at my tourney lol. Besides that tough, very skilled player, usually places top 3 at tournaments where he is. Tin Man is also one of the main reasons for why Unity now extends to Canada. His passion for the group/project and getting it into Canada is simply unmatched. He has also done a ton of organizational work for the URC, including running our weekly meetings, which has really improved the quality of the room and group imo.

Today, does she even play the game?
Zac, biggest MK hater/super prick (one of those guys that Bees was complaining about, from what I've heard around here) been retired for like a year.
Been retired yet... still hosting and entering events? Super prick? Chill with the insults bro, have you ever gotten a chance to actually talk to him or get to know him? I've never experienced this mysterious side to him like you have lol. Also you say Mike Haze and Bizkit are above all others (which I think is just because that's what others have said), yet don't include Zac? Incredibly influential player to both Texas and GaW.

Yink, most known for being a girl...... hasn't done anything notable playing-wise.
And hosting two very successful events, planning another even larger one, being in the BBR, leader of the Ness matchup panel, and knows basically the entire ins and outs of the character. Have you ever gotten a chance to talk to her? You can't beat her in a debate lol

Chibo, not a bad player. I'll admit, I've never read too much of what you've had to say, except that you hate ponies.
Yes, I really really hate the pony fad going around. Urg. I've been power ranked every single season in PA since the start of Brawl, going as high as 2nd place. I've attended most nationals, and made it to bracket at most of them. I've defeated numerous national level players. I also believe I have hosted more Smash tournaments than any other TO ever in the community, past and present.

Z'zgashi, ummm, not even a decent player of a bad character from a random region, most known for... trying to be Fluttershy?
I personally can not speak much for him as I don't know him too well, though I'm sure people from his region can.

Xyro, washed-up, hard-headed, stuck in the past. I don't think I need to say more. Though he is a very funny dude.
He's hosted more Brawl tournaments than any other TO in the smash community. I also believe he has the best average attendance for his events, especially consider how many he has hosted. He is absolutely influential in terms of hosting.

Technical Chase, who? Seriously.
Same as Fluttershy, I can not say too much about him unfortunately. I know he's a player and TO from Michigan, and have talked to him on occasion. Very respectful and good at discussions. Best to talk to people who know him better than I.

I hope I've shed some light on these people for you.

edit:

The person you missed is Ran.

Basically the reason Louisiana had a scene. Another one of the BBR members in the URC since some people think that is valid enough credibility. Has hosted a solid number of events with some neat exclusives for the community such as novice brackets (different from AMs). He recently moved to Colorado and is ready to completely revitalize the dying scene. Within weeks of moving there he found a new gaming center being built, got a job there, and is using it for his new venue for consistent events (and the venue is amazing). Is great at advertising his events, and all this considered, is a head of his community like some of our other members are for our respective areas.

Reizilla

Save for maybe Delux, that doesn't really explain anything on why these people should be given the power to make these rules in the first place. Running events doesn't really mean much. You throw the tourney and unless people hate you or something, players will show up. I'm sure there's a ****load people would love to have changed about, say, MLG, but that didn't stop people from going. Just because they were so big, does that mean they were the best events and perfectly ran and that AZ is a god among men? No, it just means they offered a bunch of money.

Going back to Delux, all of this information he knows still needs to have practical experience. We know who the people with that kind of experience are. People complain that top players only look out for themselves, but that's true with anyone.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Running a successful series of events where you need to form rulesets certainly shows something imo. If they are inept at listening to the community to provide events they like and agree with, they won't be successful. It shows experience and success, especially for people that have hosted an extreme amount of events, like myself, AZ, and Xyro.

And yet, you still think that the players are bad, ignoring what I said about UTD, myself, AZ, and others? You act like we haven't accomplished anything outside of tournament organizing.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Save for maybe Delux, that doesn't really explain anything on why these people should be given the power to make these rules in the first place. Running events doesn't really mean much. You throw the tourney and unless people hate you or something, players will show up. I'm sure there's a ****load people would love to have changed about, say, MLG, but that didn't stop people from going. Just because they were so big, does that mean they were the best events and perfectly ran and that AZ is a god among men? No, it just means they offered a bunch of money.
You want to know why TOs get to make the rules?
Because it's their tournament.
Going back to Delux, all of this information he knows still needs to have practical experience. We know who the people with that kind of experience are. People complain that top players only look out for themselves, but that's true with anyone.
While bias exists in everyone, top players are more likely to try to cater towards themselves, as it gives them a greater chance of winning. A TO wants to host the best tournament possible, and making rules to suit themselves is counter-productive.

Reizilla

Running a successful series of events where you need to form rulesets certainly shows something imo. If they are inept at listening to the community to provide events they like and agree with, they won't be successful. It shows experience and success, especially for people that have hosted an extreme amount of events, like myself, AZ, and Xyro.

And yet, you still think that the players are bad, ignoring what I said about UTD, myself, AZ, and others? You act like we haven't accomplished anything outside of tournament organizing.
Live in cluster****ed region
hold tournament
lots of people show up
do it again
and again
?????
get in URC

Not that hard, in that regard, though I know there are plenty of other challenges in hosting a tournament, that don't really have to do with playing the game.

and I didn't really try discrediting you. I addressed AZ from personal experience here on the boards. Zac's comes from that as well as accounts from people in my local community. Like I said, top players have their agenda, the URC has theirs.

While bias exists in anyone, top players are more likely to try to cater towards themselves, as it gives them a greater chance of winning. A TO wants to host the best tournament possible, and making rules to suit themselves is counter-productive.
Facts are where?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
And hosting two very successful events, planning another even larger one, being in the BBR, leader of the Ness matchup panel, and knows basically the entire ins and outs of the character. Have you ever gotten a chance to talk to her? You can't beat her in a debate lol

YOU CAN'T

:salt:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Funny, because where I live in this "cluster****ed region," if you hold a tournament where people don't like the rules, someone else will hold a tournament near yours on the same day with different rules people would rather go to. It's happened many times.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If practical experience is what you need, I offer this:

I've been coming in top 5 in the Midwest West (KS, IA, NE, MO) with a couple tourney wins the past few months all while overcoming this overwhelming anxiety issue when it comes to chaingrabbing with ICs.

My psychologist says that in terms of expectations as a player, I put way too much pressure on myself. I've won tournaments and have been overwhelmingly fuming on how I played because I messed up some minor technical details that I had been working on. It used to get to the point I would literally get paralyzed with fear when I grabbed someone with ICs because I knew I was just going to drop the grab that I worked so hard to get. It's overwhelmingly difficult to CG someone when you can't feel your hands due to the yips. But knowing how to CG is really all technical precision, it doesn't really alter my perception of the metagame.

I use the whole "I'm a random" speel to deflect expectations on myself and from others. At some point, I will be a national level player instead of a regional level player. But I don't want to declare I've made that jump until I earn the right to say that. I feel like I accept the criticism I get now, but I will remember it when I will undoubtedly overcome it.

If someone from my region wants to call me out and say that I'm boasting incorrectly, please feel free to put me in my place. I hate talking about my accomplishments unless it's some of the technical shenanigans I discover. I'd like to think that being given the privilege to run the Smash Lab has given me the tools I need to get better so quickly.

Reizilla

Nah, too far away. My scene died. Probably because of that one MK that some times gets up to 2nd. He's so mean ;_;

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I would also point out that my hobby in my free time has been reading on sports theory in terms of stats in baseball. I've also expanded that research into college football and basketball. Sabermetrics has given me a background in how to evaluate the dominant strategies (go see Moneyball everyone, the movie was amazing and the book was even better even if it's on the light side) and the sports influence has given me insight into precedent for other rule formulation.

In that regard, I've read a few books on rules and regulations in sports outside of just Play to Win like everyone else. You don't have access to it, but the depth of my research is usually apparent when I discuss things.

I also am majoring in Public Administration with dual focuses in Non-Profit Management and Policy Implementation. I use that background because at the end of the day, that's what the URC is. It's a Non-Profit Organization of TO's that are implementing policy for the community.

I also am probably the first person that will listen to any and every argument given by the community. I might not think it's correct, but I will always hear it out. I have a very strict system on how I evaluate the merit of arguments, but nonetheless I listen. And then I act accordingly.

But DeLux is a nobody.

That means that he has zero credentials, is uneducated on the subject, and his opinions should hold no weight on this poll.

:glare:

Cassio

Smash Master
I just caught this super late edit from AZ
Mikes argument is essentially: TO's should be qualified to make rules. If I'm wrong here then why is most of what he talks about being TO credentials (and absurd things like asking people if they could even NAME the TOs, another knock at credentials).

My point is: question ALL TO's credentials then, not just the URC (which is why I brought up ESAM's quote, since he directly says the URC IS QUALIFIED while also saying others who are not in the URC are not).

So in a word: yes, people who are buying into this idea that TO's must be 'qualified' to run a tournament ARE buying into the idea that a TO shouldn't make the rules for the tournament they are running.
No, the argument is TO's should be qualified to make rules when using their ruleset affects other tournaments. Its a very important qualifier and the fact that it was ignored is...discomforting. Hence, your interpretation and conclusion from said interpretation are incorrect.

@Delux, I know this subject was a bit personal but youre maybe taking it a bit too personally. I can't speak for whats happening in the URC itself or your knowledge as a player, however I've had very positive interactions with you overall. In addition to your conduct I think youve done the best job representing the URC and lending it some credibility.

Rei I know youre trying to help but logic works better than salt. On that note, lmao @ bees posts.

Anyways, a quote from TKD that I thought sums up this issue perfectly:
I'm sure the BBR-RC is composed of perfectly sound, sane PEOPLE, but not of experienced, knowledgeable PLAYERS that are fit to design Smash Bros. rulesets.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I just caught this super late edit from AZ

No, the argument is TO's should be qualified to make rules when using their ruleset affects other tournaments. Its a very important qualifier and the fact that it was ignored is...discomforting. Hence, your interpretation and conclusion from said interpretation are incorrect.
People don't have to follow Unity if they don't want, if the Unity TOs were really making the wrong decision, people wouldn't follow it, pretty simple

Cassio

Smash Master
Incorrect. Following unity ruleset is the only way to receive equal level of advertisement on AIB and SWF. For some reason people dont seem to know this.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Incorrect. Following unity ruleset is the only way to receive equal level of advertisement on AIB and SWF. For some reason people dont seem to know this.
For any tournaments that would get advertising/a sticky, they probably wouldn't need it.

Cassio

Smash Master
The TO's dont seem to agree with that sentiment, making it rather unfair.

Cassio

Smash Master
Explain this to me?
Step 1: Find a TO that would prefer to not use the unity ruleset
Step 2: Ask them if its fair that their tournament receive less advertisement for doing so

Not sure if youre asking for specific examples.

Browny

Smash Hater
"I'm sure the BBR-RC is composed of perfectly sound, sane PEOPLE, but not of experienced, knowledgeable PLAYERS that are fit to design Smash Bros. rulesets."

Lol @ this.

Just like how every kid on earth KNOWS they would be a great video game designer because all you do is have games given to you, and you tell the devs how to change it.

Only one group of people have the authority to change the rules in a tournament. The tournament organiser. If you dont like it, host your own. Thats all there is to it.

Cassio

Smash Master
This isnt about a TOs ability to dictate their own rules. Are you paying attention? That goes to Yars as well.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Step 1: Find a TO that would prefer to not use the unity ruleset
Step 2: Ask them if its fair that their tournament receive less advertisement for doing so
Step 1: Find a TO that would prefer not to use the Unity Ruleset
Step 2: Find a TO whose tournament would be stuck anyways
Step 3: Ask them if its fair that their tournament receive less advertisement for doing so

Your complaint applies to maybe 5 tournaments a year, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. The vast vast majority of tournaments are 20-40 person affairs that would never get stuck anyways - yet you want to pretend they are somehow being 'forced' to do something.

Stickies have been and always will be an incentive with rules attached to them. Attendance has not always been the only rule. Some tournaments like GAMME were never stuck despite mad hype because it was apparent they may not be legit - it was a call that had to be made (and it turned out to be right but I digress).

Part of the reason for it being about stickies and larger tournaments is that when it comes to regionals/nationals ideally we should be playing the same game with the same rules. It is unfair to players who are traveling for example that they suddenly have to see rules they aren't use to, or that there is a 'home field' advantage that often exists with tournaments (this was often the case with the Midwest and the old "FC" series, as well as going all the way back to the TG series where TG used items and any east coast player had never seen items in tournaments).

Cassio

Smash Master
Does the "only 5 tournaments" include aib featured tournaments as well?

Anyways assuming the former is true (or close enough), Ill admit to that weakness in my statement. It wasnt my point originally so I'll wait for those it concerns to address it if they feel the need to.

[Edit:My second question was just answered in your edit, thank you. If you see this Id appreciate the answer about aib as well.]

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
The question I have is: where has MikeHAZE been ever since this thread began? One would think that a qualified member/top player such as himself (according to the video) would be addressing these arguments personally.

And Rei, you forget that despite ANYTHING...no TOs, no tournaments, no community. It's as simple as that. That's why I've always felt that an elitist mindset is a self-destructive one, and it's evident in the difference of culture and atmosphere between regions. For example, just ask TKbro (namedrop /God Kais!) how much he enjoyed himself each and every time he came over to one of our Midwest events, or how much he loved the variety of our top 8 at a MK legal regional. Most people I've talked to about it have claimed it was a breath of fresh air, to say the least. And at the end of the day, if you know people leave your tournament happy, and there is a high chance of their return as a result, then haven't you done your job as a TO/representative in the community? People can be great at the game all they like, but that isn't what keeps the scene itself alive. TOs directly influence the amount of activity the scene has for the most part, and if I were to leave the decisions that directly affect the community up to anyone...they would be my first choice.

And I won't even lie...I've always thought that despite the EC's Metaknight inflation, they still maintained decent attendance due in part to high population, close proximity, and better public transportation (than most of the country at least); I#m not taking any credit away from the TOs there though, I know they do their part passionately. Trust me, when you travel to tournaments over long distances in the Midwest (even within one's own state), that **** takes mad commitment lol.

:phone:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Funny, because where I live in this "cluster****ed region," if you hold a tournament where people don't like the rules, someone else will hold a tournament near yours on the same day with different rules people would rather go to. It's happened many times.
Isn't that how it's supposed to be? If you make *** rules, and there's a tournament with better rules, it makes more sense to go to the best option.

Unless you want PA's money :troll:

Top Bottom