• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Ranking of Spikes in Brawl (Update: 01-05-2009)

CR4SH

Smash Lord
If it's not too much trouble could you include the foot stool spike as well? <_<

Also I didn't know that ZSS's dB could spike. How does that work? Or would you prefer that I look up that information on the ZSS board?

In any case thanks for these statistics, now if only Ganon could easily toss someone off into a quick dair =P
Theres no way to measure the footstool spike. If you can even call it a spike♦

Adapt

Smash Lord
I would definitely not classify it as a spike... it just puts you into a tumble animation

ZSS Down-B: the flipjump will spike in the first couple frames of the kick

Adapt

Smash Lord
I have an update:

I am now working on finding the killing percentage and knockback info on grounded spikes. I should be updating the OP tomorrow with updated tables as well as a short table for what info I have on grounded spikes. In checking my data for the grounded spikes I found a few errors with the data i collected for aerial spikes so I have to fix that up as well

Grounded spikes appear to do 20% less knockback than the aerial version of the same spike. It looks like the game designers really liked the 20% modifier (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202057)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I have a few questions:

-You are missing Mr. Game & Watch d-throw. Isn't that a spike? =P

-How can Charizard's b-air spike? o_O

EDIT: *cough* Ignore that first question that I put up pertaining to the multi-hitting d-airs. >.>

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I have an update:

I am now working on finding the killing percentage and knockback info on grounded spikes. I should be updating the OP tomorrow with updated tables as well as a short table for what info I have on grounded spikes. In checking my data for the grounded spikes I found a few errors with the data i collected for aerial spikes so I have to fix that up as well

Grounded spikes appear to do 20% less knockback than the aerial version of the same spike. It looks like the game designers really liked the 20% modifier (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202057)
I wonder if charged smashes all do exactly 20% more damage and knockback. I haven't nearly the time nor the energy to test it, but it would be interesting.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I wonder if charged smashes all do exactly 20% more damage and knockback. I haven't nearly the time nor the energy to test it, but it would be interesting.
I don't think so, but I would have to do more testing

I forgot an assignment that I had to do, so I haven't managed to update this
I think I have some time to do it tonight.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Ok, the list has been updated!

Added the beginnings of a list of Grounded Spikes and their knockback.

Also, Ganon's aerial Dair is more powerful than I had originally indicated. When I was doing the grounded version I noticed that it was only -7% in initial power, so I went back and redid my data for the aerial version.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
it's nice to see ike and yoshi on the lists I LOVE their spikes:bee: specially ike's

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Ok, the list has been updated!

Added the beginnings of a list of Grounded Spikes and their knockback.

Also, Ganon's aerial Dair is more powerful than I had originally indicated. When I was doing the grounded version I noticed that it was only -7% in initial power, so I went back and redid my data for the aerial version.
Are you sure you're not just seeing the difference between the sourspot on the torso and the sweetspot at the feet?

Adapt

Smash Lord
Are you sure you're not just seeing the difference between the sourspot on the torso and the sweetspot at the feet?
I'll recheck it again to be sure... (grounded and aerial) but I'm pretty sure that I was hitting with the 23% dair every time.

Why don't you check it as well for confirmation?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Oli's final smash spikes when the ship takes off lol, if you want to test it. It's pretty **** strong. Also, I have a question. I don't know if it's been figured out yet or not, but are these all meteor smashes or spikes? Or are some of them spikes and some of them meteor like in melee?

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
These are great charts. This must have taken you a long time to compile, thanks.

Adapt

Smash Lord
np

ph00tbag: Here is the data I get for Ganon's dair

Grounded:
23% - 2238
323% - 15958

Aerial:
23% - 2811
323% - 19962

When you do the calculations you get my newest values. I can't see myself making the same mistake a couple times, but you never know.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Oli's final smash spikes when the ship takes off lol, if you want to test it. It's pretty **** strong. Also, I have a question. I don't know if it's been figured out yet or not, but are these all meteor smashes or spikes? Or are some of them spikes and some of them meteor like in melee?
All attacks that hit straight down, not off to the side like MK's dair, are meteors and can be cancelled, (although in Brawl, you'll still fly down for a fraction of how far you'd normally go) since nearly all true "spikes" in Melee were likely a mistake in programming.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ok, so at 200%, in order for a ganon down air to spike on the ground at the same speed that it would hit airially, would the opponent have to be at 220% or 240%?

Adapt

Smash Lord
it would be 240% damage. I can see where you would be confused though

(it will star KO at like 80 though)

Adapt

Smash Lord
stage spikes are not really spikes, but normal attacks that get reflected.

Marth's down-B is only a semi-spike, not a true spike. It sends you down at an extreme angle, something like -70 degrees is a rough guess at what I remember from my testing

ROB's dair has 2 separate hitboxes.
The more powerful is close to his base, and the weaker is nearer to the end of the flames

Adapt

Smash Lord
I updated the OP

I have found a grounded spike that does not follow the 20% less knockback rule. Ike's Up-B (on the way down). I have no idea why, but it has the same knockback on a grounded Mario as an aerial Mario

I also added a bunch more grounded spikes and ranked them according to approximate star-KO percentage.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I also added a bunch more grounded spikes and ranked them according to approximate star-KO percentage.
I'm not sure if you saw this last time, but the VERY tip of Ike's Eruption (Neutral B) is a true spike if it hits a grounded opponent. I hear it spikes in the air too, but I've never had it happen. Getting the grounded version is pretty simple, however.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I updated the OP

I have found a grounded spike that does not follow the 20% less knockback rule. Ike's Up-B (on the way down). I have no idea why, but it has the same knockback on a grounded Mario as an aerial Mario

Will you be adding ice climbers grounded fair spike to the list soon?

Adapt

Smash Lord
****... forgot about that one

I'll get it in my next update, with Luigi's and Ivy's grounded spikes. I can never hit with them reliably

vbdood1337

Smash Apprentice
If it makes you feel any better, I have a lot of trouble with Luigi's dair spike as well :D

Keep up the good work!

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's D-tilt spikes... but it's really really weak. Kills Mario off the top of FD at like 500% or something.

I'm confident in my dair spiking with Luigi, I can do that for you if you'd like. You just need to tell me what to do. I know it will kill Mario off the top at 203% but I'm not sure about that launch speed stuff (soo much practice into that spike >.<)

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
The initial power for Ganon's D air 1 must be wrong...

The math won't add up if that initial power is true...

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Just because G&Ws Dthrow is still not listed, I did the footwork and got you the launch force on Mario at 0% and at 300%.

Dthrow at 0%: 2731mph
Dthrow at 300%: 4433mph

VietGeek

Smash Hero
If I recall, Ganon's Side-B spikes if it grabs someone hanging on the ledge. It would be a spike too, no? And this is the grounded version with him grabbing them off the ledge while he's onstage.

Also Marth's Side-B Third hit down spikes if you hit with the hilt. How anyone is going to test that alone is beyond me. You'd need someone to walk into Marth while Marth DBs slowly.

Geist

Smash Master
If I recall, Ganon's Side-B spikes if it grabs someone hanging on the ledge. It would be a spike too, no? And this is the grounded version with him grabbing them off the ledge while he's onstage.
Technically the defenition of spike was describing a move that had a hit direction that sends you downward. Ganon's is more of a grab, like bowsersides. Ganon can stomp anyways - who doesn't want to stomp?.

Top Bottom