• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Psystriking" Discovery: The Mewtwo Moveset Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
They obviously don't mind making "new" characters uninspired and disappointing. I hope he's great too cause MewTwo is my favorite 'mon. :(
It's funny Mewtwo was like my 7th or 8th fav Pokemon back when Red/Blue were just released. Melee is what made me fall in love with him and he became like my 3rd or 4th Fav Pokemon. Even today he is my 3rd fav Pokemon out of all of em.

I never thought I would see my all time favorite pokemon (well one of his "evolution line") actually make it into the game though, that was a pleasant surprise.

Special points to whomever can guess my fav Pokemon :p.

Last edited:

M24S4

Smash Cadet
I was actually curious about this myself.. :surprised: It clearly seems to be a gameplay picture, judging by the 3Ds & Wii U images they provided. But I wondered myself if this was his 'Idle' stance. Not that I'm complaining he looks great, but it seems a bit strange looking for an Idle animation.
That'd be "Idle" stance, but I think you could be right. I agree it looks kind of odd just given how upright he appears to be standing, but if this is his idle stance, we might see a more ranged Mewtwo than before.
I think that stand would be awesome, he really looks porwerful and mighty like that

I really wonder why there are not more people ( i know a few people before me wanted), who want him to have swift, it was one of his attacks from the good old days and he can stull learn it through a normal level up.
Having a barrier sounds a bit boring to me, especially when it's only there to reflect projectiles. It could rather cause damage to any enemy who attacks, like if they would punch against a wall. Or he just grabs the attacker (of course when used during the right time) and throws him to the floor. So yeah a conter move would be really nice and could even be made suitable to mewtwo (IMO).
And last thing, besides from melee (and project m? Soryy, i have never played it before) did mewtwo ever use his tail? I mean in movies or whatever is out there besides from games cause he never used it in them of course. If not i think tail attacks arent really suitabel and should be saved to more "official" or more likely attacks

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think that stand would be awesome, he really looks porwerful and mighty like that

I really wonder why there are not more people ( i know a few people before me wanted), who want him to have swift, it was one of his attacks from the good old days and he can stull learn it through a normal level up.
Having a barrier sounds a bit boring to me, especially when it's only there to reflect projectiles. It could rather cause damage to any enemy who attacks, like if they would punch against a wall. Or he just grabs the attacker (of course when used during the right time) and throws him to the floor. So yeah a conter move would be really nice and could even be made suitable to mewtwo (IMO).
And last thing, besides from melee (and project m? Soryy, i have never played it before) did mewtwo ever use his tail? I mean in movies or whatever is out there besides from games cause he never used it in them of course. If not i think tail attacks arent really suitabel and should be saved to more "official" or more likely attacks

Technically Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco never left their aircrafts before 64 or Melee. Link doesn't even jump in more than half of his games, let alone kick. Samus has never kicked in any game (At least until Brawl). Yet all these chars use their legs in game.

I get Mewtwo isn't really the "physical" combat type of guy but I think some of his tail attacks actuat fit very well. (Down-Tilt and Back-Air to be specific). Some others were just odd though (Up-Tilt and Forward Tilt).

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Technically Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco never left their aircrafts before 64 or Melee. Link doesn't even jump in more than half of his games, let alone kick. Samus has never kicked in any game (At least until Brawl).

Yet all these chars use their legs in game. I get Mewtwo isn't really the "physical" combat type of guy but I think some of his tail attacks actuat fit very well. (Down-Tilt and Back-Air to be specific). Some others were just odd though (Up-Tilt and Forward Tilt).
He's got a tail almost as long as his body. It'd be awkward to not be able to use his tail to slap opponents around. Besides, Mewtwo and Lucario are like the super saiyans of Pokemon. Even guys that can do this look just as awesome when they get physical.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
He's got a tail almost as long as his body. It'd be awkward to not be able to use his tail to slap opponents around. Besides, Mewtwo and Lucario are like the super saiyans of Pokemon. Even guys that can do this look just as awesome when they get physical.
I agree. Which is why I think he should retain some of his tail attacks.

I am fine with changing the animation on things like Up-Tilt which honestly looks conpletely out of place and janky (And F-Tilt just because I think he could have some much cooler animation for that). But I love his down-tilt and back-air animation. Specially the back-air it makes him look so badass.

M24S4

Smash Cadet
Technically Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco never left their aircrafts before 64 or Melee. Link doesn't even jump in more than half of his games, let alone kick. Samus has never kicked in any game (At least until Brawl).

Yet all these chars use their legs in game. I get Mewtwo isn't really the "physical" combat type of guy but I think some of his tail attacks actuat fit very well. (Down-Tilt and Back-Air to be specific). Some others were just odd though (Up-Tilt and Forward Tilt).
Ok u have a good point there, although i knew the fact about the other characters in never thought about that relation and compared it to mewtwos tail, so thumbs up. Nevertheless i hope those moves won't take a majority of his moves because after all, he is a pokemon and on the contrary to the other character u mentioned, he would have more than enough moves which could be used as his attacks (and maby fit better) and be even (more) pokemon related

Yes after urs and Raykz comments, i am not against the fact mewtwo having ANY tail attacks, anymore :)

Spatman

Smash Ace
Well, the whole reason Mewtwo is returning is because of his popularity from older games (not only Melee but Pokemon). In order to "please" fans Mewtwo would have to very clearly represent his older version of himself, so his moveset will have to be similar in many ways, otherwise you get the "They made him wrong" argument.
but "They made him wrong" in Melee, in first place!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
but "They made him wrong" in Melee, in first place!
Yet people still want him back. I am not saying whether his moves fit or he was balanced correctly. I am saying that people who want Mewtwo back (at least most of those people) literally want Mewtwo BACK, not a completely new Mewtwo.

I am certain no one is against Mewtwo receiving Bowser/Yoshi like treatment. But I can bet that almost no one wants a completely new character.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm pretty sure that Mewtwo's Final Smash will be one of the Mega Mewtwos, which would balance out the super-attack/transformation numbers in the Final Smashes of the Pokemon characters (Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Greninja have super-attacks while Charizard, Lucario and, probably, Mewtwo have transformations).

It'll probably be Y, since that's the one that's been getting all the representation; as much as people want MMX, it's not as pushed commercially as MMY is.

As for an actual moveset...here's what I came up with;

Idle Animations
:
Idle 1: Mewtwo stands in place with his fists at his side.
Idle 2: Mewtwo crosses his arms and glares at his foe.
Idle 3: Mewtwo punches his fists together twice, then points at his foe.
Crouched: Mewtwo crouches to the ground and flicks his tail about.

Normals:
Jab: Mewtwo strikes with his hand.
Dash Attack: Mewtwo tackles with his shoulder.

Tilts:
UTilt: Mewtwo does a soft uppercut.
FTilt: Mewtwo quickly floats and thrusts both legs forwards.
DTilt: Mewtwo sweeps his tail in a circle.

Aerials:
UAir: Mewtwo kicks upwards with both legs.
NAir: Mewtwo generates a short EMP burst, causing stun.
DAir: Mewtwo slams his tail downwards, spiking airborne foes.
SAir: Mewtwo lunges forwards with his arms, pushing him in the direction he is currently facing.

Smash Attacks:
USmash (Stone Edge): Mewtwo thrusts a small pillair of rocks up from the ground in front of him.
SSmash (Iron Tail): Mewtwo swings his tail in a circle.
DSmash (Thunder Wave): Mewtwo fires off a short-ranged (ie: only directly beside him), but strong burst of electicity, which behaves similarly to a more powerful version of Zero Suit Samus' neutral B.

Special Attacks:
NB (Thunder Punch): Mewtwo thrusts his fist forwards with an electric charge, which causes stun on hit.
UB (Aerial Ace): Mewtwo flings himself skywards, trapping foes in his wake.
SB (Giga Impact): Mewtwo uses his strength to fly at his foe, dealing heavy damage and knockback if it connects. Missing it will stun Mewtwo for a few seconds, however.
DB (Disable): Mewtwo uses his telepathic powers to overwhelm his foes, stunning them as if their shield had broken. Breaks shields in one hit, but is tricky to land, as it requires eye contact. Missing leaves him open for counterattack.

FINAL SMASH: Mega Mewtwo Y
In a burst of energy, Mewtwo uses his Mewtwonite Y to Mega Evolve. Mega Mewtwo Y is faster, floatier and stronger than normal, and all of his attacks are at double power for the duration of the Final Smash. Transformation lasts for about 1 minute before reverting.

Custom Specials:
CNB1 (Fire Punch): Mewtwo produces a burst of blue fire from his palm and strikes with it, causing fire damage. This also causes Mewtwo to move forward a bit and is stronger than Thunder Punch.
CNB2 (Ice Punch): Mewtwo freezes his fist and strikes, potentially freezing them. Slower than the other punches, but is stronger to make up for it.
CNB3 (Poison Jab): Mewtwo swiftly jabs with a poison-coated fist, causing foes to have a similar effect to Lip's Stick without the flower. The weakest of the punches, but it strikes the fastest.

CUB1 (Gravity): Mewtwo launches high into the air, but takes increased knockback.
CUB2 (Recover): Mewtwo has a better horizontal recovery, but at the cost of his vertical recovery becoming worse.
CUB3 (Confusion): Mewtwo teleports high into the sky, and can continue to teleport if needed. Can be directed in all eight directions.

CSB1 (Bulldoze): Mewtwo charges with increased power, but the attack becomes slower as a result. The first few frames of the move have super-armor.
CSB2 (Flame Charge): Mewtwo charges with faster speed, but lower power. The flames also burn anybody who comes into contact with them.
CSB3 (Blizzard): Mewtwo charges with extreme power, but horrendous speed. Contact will freeze opponents.

CDB1 (Flash): Mewtwo produces a flash of bright white light that damages more and stuns foes for a shorter length.
CDB2 (Double Team): Mewtwo makes an illusion of himself and teleports behind his foe, striking them if they attack the illusion.
CDB3 (Facade): Mewtwo glows with energy, and when hit is "stunned". When attacked while in this psuedo-stun state, Mewtwo suddenly strikes with a ferocious punch, dealing a decent amount of damage and high knockback.

Taunts:
Up Taunt: Mewtwo hovers into the air and laughs.
Side Taunt: Mewtwo scoffs and spins in a circle.
Down Taunt: Mewtwo growls as his eyes glow blue.

Victory Poses:
Pose 1: Mewtwo laughs and proclaims his superiority.
Pose 2: Mewtwo makes a snide remark on the inferior skill of his foes.
Pose 3: Mewtwo proclaims himself to be the ultimate fighter.
Pose 4: Mewtwo teleports in and laughs maniacally with glowing eyes.

Victory Theme:
A shortened version of this;

Trophy Descriptions:
Classic Mode: "The Genetic Pokémon, Mewtwo is the result of cloning experimentation; created after years of research by a lone scientist on Cinnibar Island. Mewtwo is cloned from the DNA of the legendary Mew, and as a result is incredibly powerful. It's telekinetic and psychokinetic power is extraordinary. Mewtwo believes itself superior to all others, human and Pokémon alike."

All-Star Mode: "Mewtwo has high power and great coverage, making him one of the most powerful fighters in Smash. Thunder Punch has good power and stuns foes, while Aerial Ace allows Mewtwo to recover large vertical distances with ease. Giga Impact is incredibly strong, but a risky move; if missed, he becomes stunned and open for attack. Disable is excellent for beginning a combo, and when used right, can shatter a shield in one hit; but, like Giga Impact, leaves him open when it misses. With customization options like Poison Jab and Confusion, Mewtwo is versatile enough to match most of his encounters with ease. Be careful, though; Mewtwo is strong, but not very heavy."

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Great write-up, lots of effort and good ideas, but I don't think Mewtwo should be "tackling" anyone, or punching and pointing at his opponent. What made him so cool in Melee was his effortless attitude. He doesn't want to touch you, he doesn't need to work that hard, he'll just use telepathy and if he needs to get physical he'll just use his long tail to distance you from him as you're too pathetic to deal with or give you one strong kick to finish you off (down-air). The glare is fine, but the point is kind of lame for Mewtwo, he's not ganna lift a finger for you. Yknow what I mean?

Mewtwo should keep this godly attitude, the "you're not worth the effort" kind of personality that shows in pretty much every move! <3

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I agree, very in depth but when you imagine Mewtwo you don't really imagine him using Thunder Punch. At least I imagine using Psychic powers like Teleport, Psychic, etc. You made him more like a Fighting type than a Psychic type Pokemon.

One thing's for certain though. He needs to have Shadow Ball and Teleport or variations of it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Great write-up, lots of effort and good ideas, but I don't think Mewtwo should be "tackling" anyone, or punching and pointing at his opponent. What made him so cool in Melee was his effortless attitude. He doesn't want to touch you, he doesn't need to work that hard, he'll just use telepathy and if he needs to get physical he'll just use his long tail to distance you from him as you're too pathetic to deal with or give you one strong kick to finish you off (down-air). The glare is fine, but the point is kind of lame for Mewtwo, he's not ganna lift a finger for you. Yknow what I mean?

Mewtwo should keep this godly attitude, the "you're not worth the effort" kind of personality that shows in pretty much every move! <3

You, my friend, understand exactly WHY I loved Mewtwo.

This is literally the reason Mewtwo was my favorite char in Melee. Mewtwo's attacks all reflected an aura of "I won't even bother with you" which made his personality so badass. The way he didn't even look while smacking you with his tail. The way he crossed his arms as he attacked you. It all seemed like he was purposely trying to show the opponent how little effort he needed to defeat him. I want this trait to stay exactly the same.

No offense to the guy on top, but I don't want a new character. I want Melee Mewtwo back with a few tweaks to his inefficient moves.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
You, my friend, understand exactly WHY I loved Mewtwo.

This is literally the reason Mewtwo was my favorite char in Melee. Mewtwo's attacks all reflected an aura of "I won't even bother with you" which made his personality so badass. The way he didn't even look while smacking you with his tail. The way he crossed his arms as he attacked you. It all seemed like he was purposely trying to show the opponent how little effort he needed to defeat him. I want this trait to stay exactly the same.

No offense to the guy on top, but I don't want a new character. I want Melee Mewtwo back with a few tweaks to his inefficient moves.
Yes! Aw, dude, totally agree! I feel like I gatta high-five you or something, I've met other people who thought Mewtwo was cool but no one else got it like that.

I see a lot of people also want his side-b and down-b to change, but I really hope not. His side-b started combos, reflected projectiles, and made a statement like "You're just another plaything". Plus reflecting stuff is great for Mewtwo as...well reflects are nice, but also shows his intellect.

The Down-B im even more defensive of than of the side-b. Confusion! It's unique, only Mewtwo can stop the opponent completely and mess with their mind with a powerful glare.
It's short range makes it seem balanced to me, but I do hope if its tweaked that instead of knocking the opponent away slightly when you hit them with this while they're in the air, it maybe puts them in a tumble instead. On the ground, they could just get up-attack or roll away, but you could shield or chase them down, I feel that would fit Mewtwo's personality and be super unique and cool. Also if both of you are in the air, they could go for an up-b, but if they don't maybe you can cause a tumble and then down-air spike, that'd be stylish!

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

I agree, very in depth but when you imagine Mewtwo you don't really imagine him using Thunder Punch. At least I imagine using Psychic powers like Teleport, Psychic, etc. You made him more like a Fighting type than a Psychic type Pokemon.

One thing's for certain though. He needs to have Shadow Ball and Teleport or variations of it.
You my friend, understand exactly WHY I loved Mewtwo.

This is literally the reason Mewtwo was my favorite char in Melee. Mewtwo's attacks all reflected an aura of "I won't even bother with you" which made his personality so badass. I want this trait to stay exactly the same.

Shadow Ball was nice, I'll admit; in fact, when I first wrote it up I was going to put Shadow Ball in as the Neutral B; but I had a ditz moment and thought Mewtwo couldn't learn Shadow Ball and thus replaced it with Thunder Punch, then it went into a way off moveset than I had initially planned. :p It ended up showing off his pretty big movepool in the Pokemon games, though.

As for Teleport, I decided Aerial Ace would work better for Mewtwo's off-stage ability, so that's why the default move isn't Teleport. I wanted to keep it in, though; so I decided to make the custom option where he has multiple teleports into Teleport since A) I realized that maybe Teleport could be used as well about when I was doing the custom options for that slot, and B) that Mewtwo was kinda lacking in many horizontal recovery options (which is obviously pretty bad).

He's at his core supposed to be fairly similar; a floaty character with a somewhat slow speed and stronger grabs. But I decided that, much like how Meta Knight got a nerf between Brawl and 4, that Mewtwo should be buffed from Melee to 4.

I guess I just need more practice with moveset creation, really. :p

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Shadow Ball was nice, I'll admit; in fact, when I first wrote it up I was going to put Shadow Ball in as the Neutral B; but I had a ditz moment and thought Mewtwo couldn't learn Shadow Ball and thus replaced it with Thunder Punch, then it went into a way off moveset than I had initially planned. :p It ended up showing off his pretty big movepool in the Pokemon games, though.

As for Teleport, I decided Aerial Ace would work better for Mewtwo's off-stage ability, so that's why the default move isn't Teleport. I wanted to keep it in, though; so I decided to make the custom option where he has multiple teleports into Teleport since A) I realized that maybe Teleport could be used as well about when I was doing the custom options for that slot, and B) that Mewtwo was kinda lacking in many horizontal recovery options (which is obviously pretty bad).

He's at his core supposed to be fairly similar; a floaty character with a somewhat slow speed and stronger grabs. But I decided that, much like how Meta Knight got a nerf between Brawl and 4, that Mewtwo should be buffed from Melee to 4.

I guess I just need more practice with moveset creation, really. :p
You're moveset would be amazing if we had Machamp or some kind of Pokemon like that because it is a pretty solid (and flashy) moveset.

I agree with the other two above though. I love Mewtwo's demeanor. He gave me that same vibe when I watched that first Pokemon movie that came out. Pure badassery. He knew he was so powerful he didn't even fight. He had clones fight for him.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
You're moveset would be amazing if we had Machamp or some kind of Pokemon like that because it is a pretty solid (and flashy) moveset.

I agree with the other two above though. I love Mewtwo's demeanor. He gave me that same vibe when I watched that first Pokemon movie that came out. Pure badassery. He knew he was so powerful he didn't even fight. He had clones fight for him.
this.

I remember being so excited about playing as mewtwo as a kid and I used him but as soon as I finally (like the past 5 or so years) played with friends on Smash (melee/brawl) I learned that not only is mewtwo kinda meh but that link was bad. Link is great now and I hope mewtwo can be too. It wasn't "awful" it's just...well you guys know.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
PM Mewtwo is god though at least. I'm hoping to see at most top 15 for Mewtwo though. If people are agreeing on Link being high tier then I'm sure Mewtwo will make it up there too.

Spirst

I most definitely do not agree with Link being high tier.

As for Mewtwo, top 15 is alright but I really don't want to see him being top 5 and the userbase saturated with a bunch of tryhards playing the character just to win. That's always bugged me, personally. Of course, I don't want him to suck either since we endured that enough in Melee.

For god's sake though, I just wish we had SOME fragment of information.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I most definitely do not agree with Link being high tier.

As for Mewtwo, top 15 is alright but I really don't want to see him being top 5 and the userbase saturated with a bunch of tryhards playing the character just to win. That's always bugged me, personally. Of course, I don't want him to suck either since we endured that enough in Melee.

For god's sake though, I just wish we had SOME fragment of information.
Agreed, we deserve some info on Mewtwo's development, a release date at the very least by now of all things. I mean, it's been 4 and a half months since Sm4sh U came out, and assuming they started development ASAP, he pr obably should be close to being done by now. Besides, the last day for the codes is the end of March, so it should b e safe to assume that he'll be released by April or May if not sooner. :\

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Sorry, by high tier I mean a much higher tier than what he's been subject to. Gotta remember Link mains have suffered for quite a bit. Anything in the B Tier range is like a godsend. Plus you make it sound like Link is bad lol.

But anyway, I do agree. The fact that we don't have any info is kind of disgusting.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Sorry, by high tier I mean a much higher tier than what he's been subject to. Gotta remember Link mains have suffered for quite a bit. Anything in the B Tier range is like a godsend. Plus you make it sound like Link is bad lol.

But anyway, I do agree. The fact that we don't have any info is kind of disgusting.
Yeah, link is great! He can stand his ground pretty dang will against the sheiks and diddys. It's a uphill battle most times but still good. I wish more top peeps gave him a shot tbh.

Anyway, I don't see why mewtwo being top tier or just top 15 is bad?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, link is great! He can stand his ground pretty dang will against the sheiks and diddys. It's a uphill battle most times but still good. I wish more top peeps gave him a shot tbh.

Anyway, I don't see why mewtwo being top tier or just top 15 is bad?
That's what I'm saying. People judge cuz they can't use him... but when they fight me I'm accused of using an OP character.

But his point is pretty valid in a sense. Like if Mewtwo makes top tiers, he will be used by the masses. Some people (including me) like to have a sense of exclusivity when using a character.

Think about the amount of people that use C. Falcon vs the amount of people that use Olimar. Lots of people use C. Falcon because he's over hyped and pretty good without a steep learning curve. Then there's Olimar who requires a little more work to achieve results and has a much steeper learning curve.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
That's what I'm saying. People judge cuz they can't use him... but when they fight me I'm accused of using an OP character.

But his point is pretty valid in a sense. Like if Mewtwo makes top tiers, he will be used by the masses. Some people (including me) like to have a sense of exclusivity when using a character.

Think about the amount of people that use C. Falcon vs the amount of people that use Olimar. Lots of people use C. Falcon because he's over hyped and pretty good without a steep learning curve. Then there's Olimar who requires a little more work to achieve results and has a much steeper learning curve.
I can get that. I do like that Link isn't freaking diddy level being used. But I do wish I had more people to learn from that were easier to find.

That's kinda why I like sheik. Yes, she is popular but damn she takes a lot of work to learn and I like that

M24S4

Smash Cadet

But mewtwo could be top tier, just with the fact he is really hard to master; people who dont play him seriously then maby get a mid tier result

godogod

Smash Ace
If Mewtwo is only available to 3DS and Wii U owners this won't even make a difference anymore but if I were to decide his specials, they would be :

Up B - Teleport - Perfect the way it was

Neutral B - Shadow Ball - In my opinion this attack defines Smash Bros Mewtwo. The addition of Mewtwo is a direct attack retaliation against Lucario . What more epic way is there than to see an Aura Sphere clash with a Shadow Ball (making me pray Mewtwo will be available to all). Unnecessary to change animation of attack. Uncharged, does 8% damage; Charged, does 21% damage. Good kill move at around 130%.

Side B - Psycho Cut - Psychic aura briefly surrounds Mewtwo as he attacks. He waves one arm to the side and swings quickly to the other side, letting out a mid-range projectile that slashes the opponent. Weak diagonal knockback and low damage, but can be used 3 times in quick succession. Also leaves Mewtwo vulnerable. 7% first slash, 5% second slash, 2% third slash (14% total). Not a kill move, but good for spacing and doing some damage.

Down B - Zen Headbutt - Mewtwo readies his head, psychic energy surrounding his skull. He takes a quick step forward, slamming his head against the opponent, causing stun damage. Chargeable move. The longer the charge, the longer the stun. Uncharged, 5% damage and stuns for 1.5 seconds; Fully charged, 9% damage and stuns for 3.5 seconds.

Idk, got bored lol
Why is shadow ball nerfed? in damage? Not digging Zen Headbutt. As we have enough charged head on skull bash attacks. And Mewtwo is more special than direct physical.

Personally, I think he needs to keep his reflector move somehow as default side b or a custom, though I prefer default.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
But mewtwo could be top tier, just with the fact he is really hard to master; people who dont play him seriously then maby get a mid tier result
That's usually the fate of a lot of good characters unfortunately.
Why is shadow ball nerfed? in damage? Not digging Zen Headbutt. As we have enough charged head on skull bash attacks. And Mewtwo is more special than direct physical.

Personally, I think he needs to keep his reflector move somehow as default side b or a custom, though I prefer default.
I personally think Mewtwo was perfect the way he was especially in PM. But for some reason I doubt he will be the way he used to be.

I'm actually hoping he keeps the reflect move in some form or another as well. But if not, I would think the move Psycho Cut is a perfect alternative (maybe to replace Disable).

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
give him psystrike as his down b(basically explosive flame but with electric/darkness effects)

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

maybe you're right.

Got just the idea for it then!

:GCD::GCB: (Hold) - Holding down will summon particles of psychic energy around the first opponent in front of Mewtwo and will stay circling the opponent as long as Mewtwo is not attacked or interrupted. Releasing the button will release a barrage of that psychic energy to damage the opponent.
- Slow start-up. Mewtwo readies the attack by charging psychic energy around him.
- Opponent has to be directly in front of Mewtwo to catch them
----- At same or near-same height level (Length of bodies must intersect in a straight horizontal line)
- Cannot move while holding the move.
- The longer the move his held the more particles appear to attack
----- MIN: 13 particles at 1% damage MAX: 25 Particles at 1% damage

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
I've said this before and I'll say it again.. Psystrike's animation looks like it will function like a modified Din's fire clone to me.

I think psystrike will be Mewtwo Y's move(via final smash). i'd like psycho cut in the game two, but as a alternate neutral special to shadowball, and being able to go through multiple enemies(or work similar to water shuriken).

73V3N

Smash Rookie
Here are some of my ideas:
(KO estimates are for Mario in the center of Final Destination, without accounting for Stale Move Negation, Vectoring, equipment, or the Rage Effect)

Neutral B default: Psystrike: The little purple rocks from the move's XY animation circle Mewtwo in increasingly large numbers. (up to 10) If a Psystrike pebble touches an opponent in this fashion, they will take 2% damage and minimal knockback. The move's charge time is in between Arcthunder and Thoron. When you unleash the charge, all the Psystrike pebbles you accumulated will fly forward at the foe. One pebble does 3% damage when launched, and a max charge Psystrike does 30%. A max charge can KO at 120%. However, there's a quirk to this move: After traveling about half the length of battlefield, (or so) a pebble will fall off, and if it hits then it's treated as the next charge level down. (the next charge level down does 27% but has much less knockback than max charge) Once this starts, a pebble will fall off after the Psystrike travels one character length until the last pebble vanishes. Since the move is considered Physical in XY to an extent, it cannot be absorbed by Ness, Mii Gunner, or G&W, it travels much more slowly if reflected, and does considerable shield damage.

Neutral B Custom 2: Psyshock: The move takes less time to charge, about as long as Robin's Arcthunder. The pebbles are smaller, deal 1% when surrounding Mewtwo to foes, and are pinker in color. Each pebble when launched deals 2% damage, so a fully charged move deals 20% and KOs around 200% from the center of FD. The move travels at the same speed as Psystrike, but doesn't lose power and pebbles as it travels. It has the same effect on reflectors as Psystrike, but does slightly less shield damage.

Neutral B Custom 3: Shadow Ball: Unchanged from Melee. Full charge does 25%, and it counts as an energy projectile.

Up B Default: Double Team: Mewtwo fades out for a split second, during this time you input which direction you want Mewtwo to go. He then warps there, leaving behind a clone that vanishes after one hit or one second. It travels the same distance as Teleport in Melee. No hitbox. If Mewtwo ends up in the air, he can act, similar to Sonic and Mega Man after their Up-Bs, but cannot use special moves until he hits the ground.

Up B Custom 2: Telekinesis: Mewtwo's outline becomes pink and thickens. During this time you can freely move Mewtwo in any direction, ignoring gravity entirely. Mewtwo moves as his normal air speed. It lasts 2-3 seconds tops. During this time Mewtwo has 5% or so of Heavy Armor, but if hit with any move strong enough to break it, he will either go into Special Fall or have a lot of endlag before he can use this move again. You can attack while floating this way, but it will end the move as if you flinched.

Up B Custom 3: Swift: Very similar to Elwind. Mewtwo fires stars beneath him, propelling him upward. He fires 2 bursts of 3 stars, each one deals 3%. If all 3 stars from a burst hit, the foe will be knocked upward, but if only 1 or 2 hit, the foe will be pushed downward.

Down B Default: Barrier: Mewtwo instantly creates a blue, translucent barrier around him. The initial force of the barrier does 4% and pushes foes back. The Barrier can be held, and reflects projectiles at a 1.2x multiplier. The barrier can take up to 15% from non-projectile attacks before it shatters. A shattered barrier will regenerate after 10 seconds.

Down B Custom 2: Light Screen: Mewtwo creates a wall in front of him that lasts between 5 and 10 seconds. The wall is translucent and is colored based on Mewtwo's player color. (red for P1, etc) The wall is about as high as Mewtwo, and one Mewtwo can only create one wall at a time. Mewtwo can freely move around while the wall is in effect, but the wall's creation has a decent amount of startup. If a projectile from anyone except the Mewtwo who created it hits the wall, it will be reflected at a 1.75x multiplier. Fighters and non-projectile attacks pass right through it.

Down B Custom 3: Me First: It's a counter. Counters attacks at a 1.1x multiplier with a burst of blue energy that extends slightly farther than Mewtwo's F-Smash range. Same startup and endlag as Marth/Lucina's counters.

Side B Default: Psycho Cut: Mewtwo's arms glow pink, and he swipes them forward, launching two pink energy blades that combo into each other. They travel half the length of FD, and each one deals 4%, for a total of 8%. The knockback is small, but it will KO in Sudden Death mode. There is a 1/8 chance of the second blade being darker and bigger. This "critical" blade does 8% (so now 12% total) and much higher shield damage. A Critical Psycho Cut is registered differently than a normal one for Stale Move Negation.

Side B Custom 2: Razor Claw Psycho Cut: This time, the Psycho Cut blades go through enemies and projectiles and only deal 3% each. However, there is a 50% chance for the second blade to become critical. This critical blade does 6% damage (total of 9%) and has the same shield damage and stale move properties as the default critical.

Side B Custom 3: Incinerate: Mewtwo fires a small fireball. Its properties are similar to that of the missiles of the Steel Driver item, in that it starts out slow and then speeds up. It's a multihit move, and if all hits connect, it deals 7% damage and decent knockback, (though not enough to kill until roughly 230%) and it also destroys any item the foe has. This includes held items, whatever the Villager is pocketing, stored items like the Dragoon and Daybreak parts, and possibly even stored charges on applicable characters.

Thoughts?
Not to burst your bubble or anything but I think Lucario's Down Special is Double Team, which in turn means that mew2's Up-B cannot BE Double Team. Other than thay this is a great special and custom set :D

godogod

Smash Ace
Would be hilarious if Mewtwo had

B Psystrike - Mewtwo telekenetically throws a ball psychic energy at the ground that explodes outwards after a few seconds. DIstance can be manipulated,
Side B Blizzard - One direction, 12% damage. Has a chance of freezing at higher percents
Up B Fire punch - Mewtwo jumps up and does a firey punch in the air that behaves similar to Blazer..
Down B Water Pulse -- Works just like watergun, but has a 10% chance of putting the enemy in a dazed state.

with customs

B Self Destruct - Mewtwo's body glows yellow orange for up to 5 seconds before exploding and dishing out 41% damage with smoking coming out. Will do 10%self inflicted damage if charged all the way.
Side B Aerial Ace - Mewtwo moves diagonally and has a sweet spot at the end
Down B Thunder bolt does multiple hits. If it hits Mewtwo, does extra damage, and inflicts 3% on Mewtwo
Up B Grass knott - used as a recovery move to get back on stage, as well as whipping and tripping people.

Drgoold

Smash Cadet
My thoughts (and dreams) for Mewtwo in Smash 4:

•Jab: Changed to a 1-2-3 with 3 being a finisher, a dark purple blast (2%, 2%, 3%)

•Dash Attack: runs forward and then does a summersault with the tail hitting all the way around (8%)

•Tilts are the same

Smash Attacks:
•F-smash: same except with a further reach and a sweetspot similar to pikas' (14%~22%)
•D-Smash: Like it was in melee, but with it hitting on both sides (15%~23%)
•U-Smash: Changed to be like Lucas' upsmash from Project M (17%~25%) great at kills

Aerials:
•Nair: Same as melee/project m (12%)
•Up Air: same tail spin (10%)
•Fair: Iconic shadow punch (12%)
•Bair: Same as Project M (11%)
•Dair: new, spins around and blasts out a psychic blast the has a meteor spike sweetspot (13%~15%)

Grabs:
•Pummel: 2%
•D-Throw: 8%
•F-Throw: 10%
•B-Throw: 10%
•U-Throw: 11% good for kills

Special Moves:
Neutral B:
Custom 1:
•Shadow Ball- Normal Shadow Ball, does 25% fully charged (kill move)
Custom 2:
•Shadow Shot: Rapid Shadow Ball like Marios Fast fireball
Custom 3:
•Gravity Shot: Huge shadow ball with gravity affect. Bursts and knocks back opponents when they are brought into it and hit it.

Down B:
Custom 1:
•Amnesia: Raises Mewtwos "Special Defense", so for about 8-10 seconds, any projectiles do half-damage and no knockback
Custom 2:
•Agility: Raises speed slightly for about 7-8 seconds like Palutenas custom
Custom 3:
•Future Sight: Predicts an opponents future move and then strikes when they use it next. RNG chooses what move will trigger the attack, and the affect wears of after 15 seconds if the move hasn't been used, indicated by Mewtwo glowing pink for a second

Side B:
Custom 1:
•Swift: Sends out quick stars that fly at the opponent, and deals good knockback. Can follow opponents to a ceartain extent. Far range
Custom 2:
•Psychic: Similar to Zeldas' Din's Fire, this move doesn't damage until the release. It can be moved around and activated early exactly like Din's Fire, but instead of flames, it causes a psychic power to come over the opponent, lifting them off the ground slightly and stunning them in place for a temporary time, damage dependent. Works on airborne opponents too
Custom 3:
•Psycho Cut: Sends a blast of psychic energy that knocks opponents back towards you in a dark explosion, similar to sheiks custom grenades, good range. However, they only knock opponents back into you at the end of the move, otherwise it goes through people, similar to Greninjas shuriken. Basically its a sweetspot explosion at the end that will knock them back towards mewtwo

Up B:
Custom 1:
•Teleport: Normal teleport, can attack out of it
Custom 2:
•Telekinesis: Uses levitation powers to move freely around in the air, but doesnt last very long (4-5 seconds) similar to Pits up B in brawl but more free moving, leaves you in free fall
Custom 3:
•Warp: A faster shorter distance teleport that has a hit box at the bottom and then releases a powerful punch at the top (good KO move)

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Good ideas. i personally want confusion back in some way(buffed of course to reflect proj back at enemies). It's a essential special that gives him more diverse playstyles and favorable match ups.

If he doesn't have confusion, he's not going to be able to counter characters with projectiles, which consists s 3rd of the roster(not to mention characters with down b counters). Melee Mewtwo already has bad matchup against fast brawlers, and characters with range to their standard and smash attacks.. Melee Mewtwo is awful in FFA due to being tall yet lightweight and having big hurtboxes.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily going to be this way in smash 4, and I don't want him to be able to counter every type of fighter.. But his confusion was only really bad because it didn't hurt enemies when he reflected back their projectiles back at them. So why not bring it back.

I'm hoping Psycho cut makes it as well, and as I've stated many times.. The ability to cut through several enemies. Would be nice against multiple enemies.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Srry this may be the wrong thread for it, but are there any advanced techniques specific to Mewtwo??. I've only played melee when I was young, so if there is a very well known technique that you think i know, i dont, so just post it anyways thx..:)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Srry this may be the wrong thread for it, but are there any advanced techniques specific to Mewtwo??. I've only played melee when I was young, so if there is a very well known technique that you think i know, i dont, so just post it anyways thx..:)
You should probably wait for Mewtwo to be released on the new game, most likely any technique he had is going to be gone and he's going to have many new ones. For example, teleporting to the ledge over and over again won't work anymore as you don't get ledge invincibility. Lack of wavedash takes away the only utility disable seemed to have too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom