• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Psystriking" Discovery: The Mewtwo Moveset Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Just going to throw this in really quick, but hitstun ending is marked by the character no longer emitting smoke while flying; for example, this means that the Dthrow->Usmash was not a true combo, because both opponents stopped smoking/steaming/whatever just before they started falling.

(This doesn't mean it won't work at other percents tough, or that it won't be great on an airdodge read!)

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's a horizontal teleport. I guess it activating faster than usual threw you off?
Yeah, it threw me off a bit! I thought it was that quick it might be a special dodge technique rather than a teleport move. It looked a little like a "defensive counter" from what I was seeing xD lol Thanks

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
Is it just me, or can Mewtwo throw shadow balls at angles now?

It doesn't look like Mewtwo is just falling while shooting one, the shadow ball stream seems to be going at an angle. It looks like it could just be because the plane is tilted, but the shadow ball is not going in the same direction as the horizon...

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace

It doesn't look like Mewtwo is just falling while shooting one, the shadow ball stream seems to be going at an angle. It looks like it could just be because the plane is tilted, but the shadow ball is not going in the same direction as the horizon...
That is Mewtwo's forward throw.

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617

That's his forward throw, same as the one in Melee.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
His forward throw by the way seems to shoot a few less shadow balls, but they seem a lot bigger than they were in Melee too. Not sure on their strength, but we may have got quality over quantity for that forward throw haha

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
That's his forward throw, same as the one in Melee.
Right... of course it is. That would have been really cool though, if he could throw it in any direction. Would have made it a bit more unique.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
His forward throw by the way seems to shoot a few less shadow balls, but they seem a lot bigger than they were in Melee too. Not sure on their strength, but we may have got quality over quantity for that forward throw haha
It has the same amount of Shadow Balls, 5. They definitely are bigger (which hopefully means they will actually hit instead of all miss) and the throw itself seems to happen much faster.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It has the same amount of Shadow Balls, 5. They definitely are bigger (which hopefully means they will actually hit instead of all miss) and the throw itself seems to happen much faster.
Ah, interesting, Melee's go so fast I suppose I thought it was 8 or so. But yeah! In Melee opponents sometimes often fell out of the attack, but this should help rectify that! Mhm! Mewtwo is better in nearly every way, a lot of little fixes with big impacts.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I'm back with more thoughts on :4mewtwo:'s moves and how they can be used for combos.

His forward throw:

I'm sure you can escape this by DIing up or right. Let's assume that DK and R.O.B. are not DIing, it looks they pierce through the opponent. The endlag doesn't look too great so it could possibly be punished by a strong aerial from the opponent.

His up throw:

People are debating whether this was nerfed or not but we don't know what percent Luigi was so all we can do is wait.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm back with more thoughts on :4mewtwo:'s moves and how they can be used for combos.

His forward throw:

I'm sure you can escape this by DIing up or right. Let's assume that DK and R.O.B. are not DIing, it looks they pierce through the opponent. The endlag doesn't look too great so it could possibly be punished by a strong aerial from the opponent.

His up throw:

People are debating whether this was nerfed or not but we don't know what percent Luigi was so all we can do is wait.

For some reason I doubt you can DI out of his forward throw. (No proof)

In Melee the combination of the balls being thrown at random locations, the heavy gravity and the balls having such a small hitbox allowed opponents to just "fall out" of the move. In this game neither of those 3 things are true. The balls all go directly on the same path, the gravity isn't as strong and the balls seems to be quite bigger (thus having a bigger hitbox). Also it's good to remember that almost all moves with similar properties to Mewtwo's forward throw now have properties to allow them to land all of the hits (suck-in effects).

I would assume that if measure 1 and 3 were taken in order to help the move be "more reliable" then they would also give the move some property (such as the suck-in effect all Multi-Hit moves now have in this game) or at least made sure that opponents couldn't just DI out of it by regular means.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
For some reason I doubt you can DI out of his forward throw. (No proof)

In Melee the combination of the balls being thrown at random locations, the heavy gravity and the balls having such a small hitbox allowed opponents to just "fall out" of the move. In this game neither of those 3 things are true. The balls all go directly on the same path, the gravity isn't as strong and the balls seems to be quite bigger (thus having a bigger hitbox). Also it's good to remember that almost all moves with similar properties to Mewtwo's forward throw now have properties to allow them to land all of the hits (suck-in effects).

I would assume that if measure 1 and 3 were taken in order to help the move be "more reliable" then they would also give the move some property (such as the suck-in effect all Multi-Hit moves now have in this game) or at least made sure that opponents couldn't just DI out of it by regular means.
Interesting analysis! I completely forgot it traveled in random paths, maybe it does have potential to be a good throw!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I posted this on the Social Forum...but it needs to go here as well.

I have some things I wanted to point out.
Mewtwo is performing his Melee taunt here. The one where he spins and such.
This would be one of his new taunts. He seems to do his signature pose with one hand back and one striking out fiercely. This was to be expected. ;)

His third taunt you ask? Well, we actually know how that looks, as well.
Just watch the video he's featured in...it's the very first gameplay part we see- where a bunch of Psychic energy surrounds him...it almost seems like he's powering up. ^-^

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457

This would be one of his new taunts. He seems to do his signature pose with one hand back and one striking out fiercely. This was to be expected. ;)

Just watch the video he's featured in...it's the very first gameplay part we see- where a bunch of Psychic energy surrounds him...it almost seems like he's powering up. ^-^
Yeah it reminds me of Lucario's up taunt.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Alright, so the moves we've found from melee are:
  • fair
  • bair
  • dair
  • nair
  • jab
  • multijab
  • d-smash
  • up-smash
  • f-throw
  • d-throw
  • up-throw
  • f-tilt
  • d-tilt
  • spinny taunt (most important)
  • neutral b
  • side b
  • up b
  • down b
  • air dodge
Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Alright, so the moves we've found from melee are:
  • fair
  • bair
  • dair
  • nair
  • jab
  • multijab
  • d-smash
  • up-smash
  • f-throw
  • d-throw
  • up-throw
  • f-tilt
  • d-tilt
  • spinny taunt (most important)
  • neutral b
  • side b
  • up b
  • down b
  • spot dodge
Did I miss anything?
Dash Attack, Roll, Air Dodge, Double Jump, Pummel, Grab,Run animation

Basically EVERYTHING but Down-Tilt, Up-Tilt, Up-Air and Forward Smash has been confirmed as Melee. I have a thread specifying this :).

Wait, where did you see down-tilt???

Last edited:

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Where did you get thoes art from the clones from o.o
<--- like this

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Dash Attack, Roll, Air Dodge, Double Jump, Pummel, Grab,Run animation

Basically EVERYTHING but Down-Tilt, Up-Tilt, Up-Air and Forward Smash has been confirmed as Melee. I have a thread specifying this :).

Wait, where did you see down-tilt???
I remember seeing down-tilt somewhere, I just can't remember. I'll have to visit that thread of yours though to have a full list to come back to.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

I just assumed the powering up animation was his entrance animation :p

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don't think so.
He was able to move too quickly from it.
Not really, that's kinda how long intros last. In fact I'll compare it to Lucas from the trailer and see what the timings are.

Yep, watching both videos at 1/8th speed both Mewtwo's "charge up" and Lucas "table" lasted the exact same amount, 12 seconds (a small difference Mewtwo lasting 12:22 and Lucas lasting 12:68 but that's probably due to my own human error).

It is extremely possible that that is his entrance animation. In fact it's made even more likely by the fact that Mewtwo's "charge up" happens at the exact same time Lucas' table happen in his trailer. Right after the splash art.

Last edited:

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
It seems that at 0:22 Mewtwo did a Rising Aerial.
I love seeing how the last DJC character had Rising Aerial implemented as well.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Yep! Except more awesome! The way he just tosses the opponent away without even bothering to glance in their direction is so cool!
Also, I believe this is my first time posting here. I've mostly hung out in the Social before now, and that's probably where a majority of time will be spent up until Mewtwo is released, but I've been trying to get into other threads in the Mewtwo forum recently. I'll probably become a regular here, so you can expect to see me around.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
About 13 more dats till Mewtwo is out... :mewtwomelee::mewtwopm::4mewtwo: It has been 14 years since we could play as him in a official Nintendo game...

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
I hope his dash attack gets a buff or something because, in my opinion, it straight up sucked in melee.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I hope his dash attack gets a buff or something because, in my opinion, it straight up sucked in melee.
Yeah, you're right, it was pretty useless in Melee. But, just looking at his trailer, I think that it got buffed. Mewtwo's Dash Attack looks to be much more powerful this time around, and it also seems to have drastically reduced ending lag. I think that it'll be far more useful this time around.

Also, thanks for the follow:)!

D

Deleted member

I am sort of sad because with chaingrabbing out (read: the 1 second rule for grabs being applied now) I assume that Mewtwo can't do D-throw -> D-tilt -> Grab -> Repeat anymore.

And I'm banking on the fact that F-throw can't be DIed out of and that Mewtwo can't easily be hit out of using Confusion on an opponent anymore.

Otherwise he's looking nice and buffed though, so I couldn't be happier. :estatic:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
So now that we know most of his moves, we can only talk about if uair, u-tilt, or d-tilt has changed! xD

I do hope that d-tilt remains unchanged so it can still be used to get a grab.

With Mewtwo's crazy jump height, a killing move where he points above his to make some shadow aura appear would be a great buff for his uair-
even better now that it seems you can combo from d-throw/u-throw at great heights/percent.
But uair to Shadowball was always fun and would be nice to see that in this game too.

His u-tilt gaining chaining properties like Mario's in Sm4sh would be a good improvement dont you think? That could lead to grabs as well~

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I am sort of sad because with chaingrabbing out (read: the 1 second rule for grabs being applied now) I assume that Mewtwo can't do D-throw -> D-tilt -> Grab -> Repeat anymore.

And I'm banking on the fact that F-throw can't be DIed out of and that Mewtwo can't easily be hit out of using Confusion on an opponent anymore.

Otherwise he's looking nice and buffed though, so I couldn't be happier. :estatic:
Mario can do Down-Throw -> U-Tilt/D-Tilt -> Regrab. So can a lot of other characters. It's not a true combo like in Melee as your opponent will be able to move before the regrab (Also I expect D-Throw->D-Tilt to NOT be a thing anymore), but it's a great mix up tool that works very consistently. Mewtwo will probably be able to do it too.

godogod

Smash Ace
Yeah, you're right, it was pretty useless in Melee. But, just looking at his trailer, I think that it got buffed. Mewtwo's Dash Attack looks to be much more powerful this time around, and it also seems to have drastically reduced ending lag. I think that it'll be far more useful this time around.

Also, thanks for the follow:)!
I sure hope so too, but not everything has to be great. More than likely we'll have one crappy attack. Every character does..

D

Deleted member

Mario can do Down-Throw -> U-Tilt/D-Tilt -> Regrab. So can a lot of other characters. It's not a true combo like in Melee as your opponent will be able to move before the regrab (Also I expect D-Throw->D-Tilt to NOT be a thing anymore), but it's a great mix up tool that works very consistently. Mewtwo will probably be able to do it too.
I was meaning a dthrow to a single dtilt back to dthrow, this would still be in violation of the one second rule and we don't know if Mewtwo can do dtilt to u tilt to throw yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom