• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Psystriking" Discovery: The Mewtwo Moveset Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I was meaning a dthrow to a single dtilt back to dthrow, this would still be in violation of the one second rule and we don't know if Mewtwo can do dtilt to u tilt to throw yet.
I was also talking about the exact same thing. Mario can do a single up-tilt/down-tilt and regrab. It lasts longer than the rule as long as you grab after they land (which allows them to move right before you regrab, which is why it's a mix up and not a true combo). In fact most attack lasts about 1 second from start up to end lag which means that as soon as you perform 1 attack then you are almost able to regrab. It's not a true combo but it's a good way to trick your opponent.

Last edited:

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
I know he's not available >yet< but does anybody know or think they know some possible combos he could pull off?

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I know he's not available >yet< but does anybody know or think they know some possible combos he could pull off?
That's too hard to tell, since Sm4sh's physics are too different from Melee. What worked in Melee might not work now, and things that did not work in Melee might work now, even if it's the same moveset. Also, we can't tell if the few combos we've seen in the video are real combos, because we don't know the percents/if there was DI. So to answer your question, possibly some of his Melee combos, but we can't be sure of anything yet.

Anything else would be pure speculation, so while it can be fun it doesn't get us anywhere.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Confusion->F-Air looks like it's going to be reliable. I can't say for sure, but judging at where Confusion left Charizard hanging in the trailer, I feel fairly certain that's going to be possible. Confusion->F-Tilt might be a thing, too, going by where Greninja was left after being caught in Confusion.
However, like COLINBG said, all we can really do at this point is speculate and make educated guesses, so I could be wrong on one or all of the above.

Last edited:

TheN64

Smash Rookie
NNID
N64PCGamer
If his DownB lasts longer than melee and his SideB acts like mario's cape (which we see for a second during the trailer), mewtwo is going to be amazing. But I'm curious about his recovery, is it going to be teleport again? Will it be more like Zelda's this time? What about that counter thing we see happen, custom move maybe? Because all counters so far are DownBs and MewTwo's DownB is disable.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
If his DownB lasts longer than melee and his SideB acts like mario's cape (which we see for a second during the trailer), mewtwo is going to be amazing. But I'm curious about his recovery, is it going to be teleport again? Will it be more like Zelda's this time? What about that counter thing we see happen, custom move maybe? Because all counters so far are DownBs and MewTwo's DownB is disable.
His recovery is teleport, it was shown in the video. It's like Zelda's and Palutena's. Faster than both and probably just as long as Zelda's with just as many angles. No hitbox though.

What counter thing are you talking about? Mewtwo didn't counter in the trailer.

Last edited:

TheN64

Smash Rookie
NNID
N64PCGamer
His recovery is teleport, it was shown in the video. It's like Zelda's and Palutena's. Faster than both and probably just as long as Zelda's with just as many angles. No hitbox though.

What counter thing are you talking about? Mewtwo didn't counter in the trailer.
During the video at about 0:24 Palutena and Zelda attack but Mewtwo disapeares and then reapeares shocking (pun intended) the attackers. And now that I look at it again, he does use his recovery.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I can't imagine Teleport going as far as Palus or Zeldas upB. And it doesn't look like that to me. If you want to estimate the reach it'll probably be safe to look at Melee/PM Mewtwos upB.

@ TheN64 TheN64 that's his airdodge and after airdodge characters can act almost instantly.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
During the video at about 0:24 Palutena and Zelda attack but Mewtwo disapeares and then reapeares shocking (pun intended) the attackers. And now that I look at it again, he does use his recovery.
That's Airdodge, Double Jump and Neutral-Air.

I can't imagine Teleport going as far as Palus or Zeldas upB. And it doesn't look like that to me. If you want to estimate the reach it'll probably be safe to look at Melee/PM Mewtwos upB.

@ TheN64 TheN64 that's his airdodge and after airdodge characters can act almost instantly.
I thought Melee Mewtwo's Up-B was longer than Melee Zelda's Up-B. I haven't played Melee in years but I remember it being longer.

PM shouldn't be taken into account as they changed a lot of things about Mewtwo's recovery.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
That's Airdodge, Double Jump and Neutral-Air.

I thought Melee Mewtwo's Up-B was longer than Melee Zelda's Up-B. I haven't played Melee in years but I remember it being longer.

PM shouldn't be taken into account as they changed a lot of things about Mewtwo's recovery.
The length of Mewtwos upB is pretty much the same in PM. Mewtwos upB is really short, but much quicker than Zeldas. It was always like that. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAwpkc4RrM

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The length of Mewtwos upB is pretty much the same in PM. Mewtwos upB is really short, but much quicker than Zeldas. It was always like that. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAwpkc4RrM
It's about 2/5th of FD but FD was about twice as big as it is now (character to stage ratio). Zelda's Up-B would need to be close to about the whole length of FD in Smash 4 (corner to corner) to be longer than that.

I mean I'll do a little research, I don't want to throw out random garbage without any basis but at least that's what I remember it as. Once I get home I'll do some comparisons.

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
If Up-smash is a reliable kill move, Mewtwo is going to be great. It has a lasting hit box like megaman's upsmash and you can slide with it. That's amazing. Just one week left.

godogod

Smash Ace
If Up-smash is a reliable kill move, Mewtwo is going to be great. It has a lasting hit box like megaman's upsmash and you can slide with it. That's amazing. Just one week left.
Would be cool if they brought dacus back for everyone in the next patch...

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Would be cool if they brought dacus back for everyone in the next patch...
It's weird that you mention that. Because I could have sworn Mewtwo Dacus's in the trailer, as he slides a considerable amount after performing his upsmash. Of course, it could just be because he's a floaty-esque character

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I know, but when I do running upsmashes with other characters, they don't slide NEARLY as far as Mewtwo did in the trailer. Odd
Depends on your running speed and your traction, not your floatyness. Characters like Greninja can slide really far while others slide very little.

Mewtwo sliding a lot is good for several different reasons it also means his perfect pivot is probably really good but it might mean he can't shield grab correctly (he might slide a lot inside his shield, like Luigi). Hopefully the latter is not the case.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I know, but when I do running upsmashes with other characters, they don't slide NEARLY as far as Mewtwo did in the trailer. Odd
It mostly depends on ground speed of I'm not mistaken. Think of a sonic dash to up smash and think about how far you slide after smashing.
Or compare a dash u-smash on shield vs speed Shulk and note the difference on the slides.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Entirely dependent if I can make Confusion>Shadow Ball a thing.
or confusion to fair (assuming fair is still a kill move), or even confusion to grab > uthrow (again, assuming uthrow is still a kill move)

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i just hope fsmash has more kill power than in melee. i personally want it to be able to kill at around 90%. also, luigi's lack of traction is by far the highest in smash 4, so i doubt mewtwo will have trouble punishing oos(if he loses punishes on anything it'll probably be stupid strong stuff like ganon fsmash)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I think if there isn't much lag on jab we can make Confusion->Jab->Disable a thing. That could maybe lead into Dthrow which itself will have great combo potential. As Ganondorf I use Flame Choke to extend combos so I figured maybe Confusion would be able to take part in combos.

Confusion->Jab->Disable->Confusion->Jab->Disable->Down Throw->Neutral Air->Shadow Ball

I mean it depends on many things like move lag, can confusion work on a disabled opponent, does down throw lead into at the least a full hop nair, and does nair send them at a position where shadow ball could be used. It'll be interesting to see nair in action as it has the dragging effect.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Do you guys think Mewtwo should be played as Offensive of Defensive? I'm more of a mix myself so that would be nice.
I feel like he can have multiple options thanks to his move set actually being implemented correctly.

From what it looks like, his Dair comes out super-fast. Also, it looks like his grab-game is top notch. Add that to confusion stopping your descent and putting you in tumble makes for one helluva edge guarder.

He can also play the zone/space game. His shadow balls can be used to keep your distance, Confusion now reflects any projectiles sent at him, and Teleport can be used to escape in a pinch.

So I guess it all depends on the player

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I feel like he can have multiple options thanks to his move set actually being implemented correctly.

From what it looks like, his Dair comes out super-fast. Also, it looks like his grab-game is top notch. Add that to confusion stopping your descent and putting you in free-fall makes for one helluva edge guarder.

He can also play the zone/space game. His shadow balls can be used to keep your distance, Confusion now reflects any projectiles sent at him, and Teleport can be used to escape in a pinch.

So I guess it all depends on the player

Confusion doesn't put your opponent in free fall. It puts him in tumble, like a footstool.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
do you mean tumble like a footstool in that it cant be teched? if thats the case confusion jab locks would be a big thing.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Confusion's offensive utility will depend on whether the opponent can jump out of tumble animation instantly or with a delay similar to footstool. Confusion's spinning animation stops about 6 frames earlier than Mewtwo's endlag on it, so if there's no further time that the opponent can't do anything then they'd be able to punish it again like in Melee which seems very unlikely because of how dumb of a decision it'd be. Thus I'm optimistically assuming there's a footstool-like tumble animation, and if so, even an usmash should be possible. If that's not the case, it might put the opponent into a tech chase scenario where you'll be reading whether he techs, jumps or challenges you, but that doesn't make the move particularly good unless it does considerable damage as well or hits through shield.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
or maybe if confusion IS footstool-esque tumble, it could open the window for jab locks.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Can't wait to bust dat Mewtwo in less than 30 hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom