• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I can see Bayonetta's neutral aerial and up aerial being used for Waluigi if the theory that Waluigi is using Bayonetta as a base is true. Waluigi does have long legs, so it's not as if this theory is outlandish.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can see Bayonetta's neutral aerial and up aerial being used for Waluigi if the theory that Waluigi is using Bayonetta as a base is true. Waluigi does have long legs, so it's not as if this theory is outlandish.
Exactly. It's goofy as all hell but surprisingly makes sense. Something else that's kind of funny... Let's look at all the "human" characters that got the shield buff:

-Link
-Captain Falcon
-Sheik
-Zelda
-Young Link
-Ganondorf
-Snake
-ZSS
-Palutena
-Ryu
-Ken
-Cloud
-Corrin
-Bayo

All of these characters have long kicks where they "stretch" to do a kick or do kicks at very wide angles. This is different from, say, Mario who basically throws his whole body into his backair or Wario with his fair, this is a stretching of the legs. Weird distinction but these characters have realistically proportioned legs and, for a lot of these characters, kicking is a main form of attacking for them. Obviously, this is most notable with Bayo who was supposedly originally based on ZSS, another character that's super, uh, kicky.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not seeing Geno or Waluigi coexisting in the same pass. It's one or the other.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
One theory I have that plays into the whole "Waluigi is last" thing - Waluigi was planned as a final bonus character like Plant, but when the decision was made to have a second Fighter's Pass, (consider Sakurai's comment about "one or two fighters") Waluigi was rescheduled into Fighter 6 (not saying he IS Fighter 6, or even in FP2 at all - but if this Bayo theory is correct this scenario doesn't seem all that weird) and that's why there's 6 slots instead of 5.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi could be based on Bayo but I doubt it means much. I highly doubt Waluigi would start the pass anyway. I’d imagine they’d base him off of Luigi due to obvious reasons. Not only that but weren’t BK based off of Ridley which means the duck hunt glitch didn’t mean anything? If so it probably doesn’t mean much

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Waluigi being based on Bayo makes sense because even his assist trophy mostly attacks with kicks. Someone mentioned earlier that Waluigi mods are typically based on Captain Falcon but Waluigi and Falcon have very different body types. Falcon is muscular. Waluigi isn't. Falcon has a broad, wide chest. Waluigi is rail thin. Falcon's legs have muscle tone. Waluigi's don't. Waluigi's body type is neutral. He's not super masculine but he's not feminine either. He's just a tall, lanky *******.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not seeing Geno or Waluigi coexisting in the same pass. It's one or the other.
That's kind of a silly assumption because there is no rule that states "Only one character from a franchise can get in as DLC or in a Season Pass." Smash 4 brought back Roy as DLC as well as a newcomer Corrin so two Fire Emblem characters got in as DLC in the last game. If Fire Emblem can get two DLC characters than so can Mario.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's kind of a silly assumption because there is no rule that states "Only one character from a franchise can get in as DLC or in a Season Pass." Smash 4 brought back Roy as DLC as well as a newcomer Corrin so two Fire Emblem characters got in as DLC in the last game. If Fire Emblem can get two DLC characters than so can Mario.
It's not an assumption, it's just what I believe. I'm not seeing two Mario newcomers (instead of a veteran + newcomer) back-to-back within the same time frame.

Though its ironic how Daisy and Plant were the first and last announcements of newcomers for base game and both were Mario. Not back-to-back tho.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's not an assumption, it's just what I believe. I'm not seeing two Mario newcomers (instead of a veteran + newcomer) back-to-back within the same time frame.

Though its ironic how Daisy and Plant were the first and last announcements of newcomers for base game and both were Mario. Not back-to-back tho.
So? Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, and Young Link were back to back in Melee. And Robin and Lucina were back to back in Smash 4 so it can definitely happen again.

Also: you don't make the game, I don't make the game, non of us makes the game, Sakurai does. Sakurai plays by his rules not by the fans.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also: you don't make the game, I don't make the game, non of us makes the game, Sakurai does. Sakurai plays by his rules not by the fans.
it's just what I believe.
Ain't gotta say much more than that. :4jigglypuff: I ain't forcing anyone to believe what I believe, I just wanna share my opinion.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ain't gotta say much more than that. :4jigglypuff: I ain't forcing anyone to believe what I believe, I just wanna share my opinion.
Well guess what? I believe Geno and Waluigi are both getting in regardless of your opinion. Sakurai decides what is what in the end.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well guess what? I believe Geno and Waluigi are both getting in regardless of your opinion.
I ain't gonna bite just because we have different opinions. :p I wouldn't be a good OP if I would.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
You know what the perfect reveal for Waluigi would be? a bait and switch for a character LITERALLY NOBODY wants - not an unpopular or obscure character (in fact that'd be REALLY cruel TBH, even by my standards) - but a character even the most grateful of fans can agree shouldn't be added. One of the cocoon Pokemon, a Mario baby, another FE character, the fireball from DK Arcade, something like that. Like, imagine the tonal shift in reactions if they did that - one second everyone's groaning and confused - before you know it Waluigi comes onto the scene and the whole world screams in pure joy!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know what the perfect reveal for Waluigi would be? a bait and switch for a character LITERALLY NOBODY wants - not an unpopular or obscure character (in fact that'd be REALLY cruel TBH, even by my standards) - but a character even the most grateful of fans can agree shouldn't be added. One of the cocoon Pokemon, a Mario baby, another FE character, the fireball from DK Arcade, something like that. Like, imagine the tonal shift in reactions if they did that - one second everyone's groaning and confused - before you know it Waluigi comes onto the scene and the whole world screams in pure joy!
Just make it Pink Gold Peach and you'd universally get this reaction.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I was expecting something like this when Piranha Plant was revealed...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My ideal Waluigi trailer is that it's a fake out for Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC and then Waluigi starts ****ing with stuff because he's mad that Luigi now has three games where he's the star and Waluigi can't even get into a goddamn canon Mario game. Maybe a Duck Amuck parody where Waluigi is literally playing Luigi's Mansion 3 on a Switch and Luigi is freaking out because Waluigi is doing things like making him fall down flights of stairs and sticking his head in toilets and stuff.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Made this little thing to prove LM3 spirits being attached to Waluigi isn't as far-fetched as it seems.
Good, reminds us of his mislabled Wario series mark.

Rather than mistakes, it'd just be more realistic to feature him in those games first. It always makes me wonder why don't Nintendo think those mistakes actually make sense in a different way.

As a historical fact yes. As for whether it's a good move to the game, the answer is clearly a no. If Corrin/Byleth and plant piranha already got negative feedbacks, clearly we know what would come to a Mario DLC in the end. I don't see why we cannot prevent it from happening and find more proper methods instead.

The problem is still that the franchise overrepresentation isn't a garuntee to a character's inclusion just like the whole FE debate has nothing to do with Lyn. As said, I still think Waluigi could had better made it earlier so that he isn't supposed to be mentioned in the DLC talk.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Made this little thing to prove LM3 spirits being attached to Waluigi isn't as far-fetched as it seems.
Not that I majorly disagree with this but other games did lack spirit events too. Mario Maker, Dragalia lost, Ring Fit, Stretchers and at a stretch fitness boxing.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Not that I majorly disagree with this but other games did lack spirit events too. Mario Maker, Dragalia lost, Ring Fit, Stretchers and at a stretch fitness boxing.
I get what you're saying, but 3 of those games barely have any named characters if any, SMM2 is mostly characters who either already have Spirits or aren't particularly popular (let's be honest here, nobody's going to rush to unlock a Galoomba Spirit) and Dragalia Lost is a mobile game that I imagine has copyright issues all over the place. (not saying it being a mobile game would rule out representation given there's an FE Heroes song and a Pocket Camp reference in Isabelle's trailer - but the copyright is a more major issue given it's co-owned by Cygames)

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I get what you're saying, but 3 of those games barely have any named characters if any, SMM2 is mostly characters who either already have Spirits or aren't particularly popular (let's be honest here, nobody's going to rush to unlock a Galoomba Spirit) and Dragalia Lost is a mobile game that I imagine has copyright issues all over the place. (not saying it being a mobile game would rule out representation given there's an FE Heroes song and a Pocket Camp reference in Isabelle's trailer - but the copyright is a more major issue given it's co-owned by Cygames)
I dunno Ring Fit has loads of names characters. Is Gooigi a spirit too, just wondering. Just as a unrelated subject but something I’ve been seeing people throwing around I think it’s unlikely we will get Waluigi and Geno in the same pass if they are both being classed as Mario characters no matter how distinct they are in design. Other people may not agree but they should attempt to look at both sides of the fence as some of the ones who think otherwise don’t really look at the things that may suggest otherwise

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mario Maker already has a ton of references in Smash and the mobile games have virtually nothing, probably due to licensing shenanigans. Ring Fit is super niche and it not getting spirits doesn't surprise me. Luigi's Mansion 3 not getting spirits yet is a big deal though. It's basically the first major Mario game in two years and probably the best selling Switch game last year. It sold about 5.5 million copies in about two months. It not having a spirit event yet is definitely an elephant in the room.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I dunno Ring Fit has loads of names characters. Is Gooigi a spirit too, just wondering. Just as a unrelated subject but something I’ve been seeing people throwing around I think it’s unlikely we will get Waluigi and Geno in the same pass if they are both being classed as Mario characters no matter how distinct they are in design. Other people may not agree but they should attempt to look at both sides of the fence as some of the ones who think otherwise don’t really look at the things that may suggest otherwise
Gooigi doesn't have a Spirit yet, despite appearing in the 3DS Luigi's Mansion remake before SSBU came out - through characters from previous LM games have Spirits, there are none for LM3's new characters - in fact, there are none for any of the portrait ghosts from any of the 3 LM games, or even the enemy ghosts

Also, I'll admit I'm not that familiar with Ring Fit - I just assumed the characters all had generic names given the main protagonist's lack of a name.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Mario Maker already has a ton of references in Smash and the mobile games have virtually nothing, probably due to licensing shenanigans. Ring Fit is super niche and it not getting spirits doesn't surprise me. Luigi's Mansion 3 not getting spirits yet is a big deal though. It's basically the first major Mario game in two years and probably the best selling Switch game last year. It sold about 5.5 million copies in about two months. It not having a spirit event yet is definitely an elephant in the room.
Ring Fit is super niche... A new IP that only released a couple of months ago that has sold over 2 million units and sold out in places round the world which was marketed through a few random trailers thrown onto Nintendo’s YouTube channel is niche... yeah ok. I don’t like the vibes I was getting from this post. And I wouldn’t say LM3 was the best selling Switch game last year when you have Pokemon, Mario Maker and probably some other game I can’t remember. And I don’t really think you can call Luigis Mansion 3 the first major Mario game in two years due to Mario Party and Mario Maker probably being equally as important and even more so in the Mario series due to them actually being spinoffs with Marios name on while LM3 is a spinoff with Mario being a side character in the game after being kidnapped. This post is fairly misinformed tbh
Gooigi doesn't have a Spirit yet, despite appearing in the 3DS Luigi's Mansion remake before SSBU came out - through characters from previous LM games have Spirits, there are none for LM3's new characters - in fact, there are none for any of the portrait ghosts from any of the 3 LM games, or even the enemy ghosts

Also, I'll admit I'm not that familiar with Ring Fit - I just assumed the characters all had generic names given the main protagonist's lack of a name.
Gooigi doesn’t have a spirit... that’s a bit suspect. I’ll admit that definitely raises the chances of Waluigi as he is the most appropriate character who they could come along with with a (semi) realistic shot. Unless they want to make him playable but he’d be more of an echo and although not confirmed it’s really safe to assume echoes aren’t coming through dlc or in the fighters pass so it’s basically confirmed.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Ring Fit is super niche... A new IP that only released a couple of months ago that has sold over 2 million units and sold out in places round the world which was marketed through a few random trailers thrown onto Nintendo’s YouTube channel is niche... yeah ok. I don’t like the vibes I was getting from this post. And I wouldn’t say LM3 was the best selling Switch game last year when you have Pokemon, Mario Maker and probably some other game I can’t remember. And I don’t really think you can call Luigis Mansion 3 the first major Mario game in two years due to Mario Party and Mario Maker probably being equally as important and even more so in the Mario series due to them actually being spinoffs with Marios name on while LM3 is a spinoff with Mario being a side character in the game after being kidnapped. This post is fairly misinformed tbh

Gooigi doesn’t have a spirit... that’s a bit suspect. I’ll admit that definitely raises the chances of Waluigi as he is the most appropriate character who they could come along with with a (semi) realistic shot. Unless they want to make him playable but he’d be more of an echo and although not confirmed it’s really safe to assume echoes aren’t coming through dlc or in the fighters pass so it’s basically confirmed.
I don't see what is the relevance between the two as they are completely irrelevant in canon at this point.
Like said, what realistically concerns is still the fact Waluigi wasn't in Luigis Mansion. If we're still on the topic of Waluigi being a major DLC candidate, probably Nintendo should make him a LM DLC first before his Smash entry. On the other hand, if we're thinking Nintendo would force a Mario DLC entirely just to promote LM3, the fighter choice should between King Boo and Hellen, not Waluigi. Otherwise you'd have to assume that were getting Waluigi as a fighter only to promote the series in general.

I think what matters about Gooigi is whether Luigi can still have more alt, which is the common problem for all other fighters in this game. If Nintendo don't want to add him as a new alt for technical matters, he's just have to wait for Smash 6 to be a default alt in base game.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I don't see what is the relevance between the two as they are completely irrelevant in canon at this point.
Like said, what realistically concerns is still the fact Waluigi wasn't in Luigis Mansion. If we're still on the topic of Waluigi being a major DLC candidate, probably Nintendo should make him a LM DLC first before his Smash entry. On the other hand, if we're thinking Nintendo would force a Mario DLC entirely just to promote LM3, the fighter choice should between King Boo and Hellen, not Waluigi. Otherwise you'd have to assume that were getting Waluigi as a fighter only to promote the series in general.

I think what matters about Gooigi is whether Luigi can still have more alt, which is the common problem for all other fighters in this game. If Nintendo don't want to add him as a new alt for technical matters, he's just have to wait for Smash 6 to be a default alt in base game.
I can’t argue much with this. I suppose it depends if they can’t find any spirits for Waluigi if they actually chose him

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

When Waluigi doesn't have much of a presence outside of spinoffs, I can't discount him being paired with somthing else randomly, and even LM3 isn't the biggest stretch.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Good, reminds us of his mislabled Wario series mark.

Rather than mistakes, it'd just be more realistic to feature him in those games first. It always makes me wonder why don't Nintendo think those mistakes actually make sense in a different way.

As a historical fact yes. As for whether it's a good move to the game, the answer is clearly a no. If Corrin/Byleth and plant piranha already got negative feedbacks, clearly we know what would come to a Mario DLC in the end. I don't see why we cannot prevent it from happening and find more proper methods instead.

The problem is still that the franchise overrepresentation isn't a garuntee to a character's inclusion just like the whole FE debate has nothing to do with Lyn. As said, I still think Waluigi could had better made it earlier so that he isn't supposed to be mentioned in the DLC talk.
Overrepresentation could be bad or good all depending on who they add really.

Overrepresentation is done right with a franchise like Mario or Pokemon all having unique characters instead of Echos or semi-clones though Mario does have Dr. Mario and Daisy to cover the clone area, but that doesn't really bother that many people with Mario being Nintendo's flagship franchise. Fire Emblem on the other hand is the bad example of overrepresentation in the roster with very little diversity between all the characters movesets. Pretty much half of the characters being Marth clones or semi-clones and all of them excluding Robin all mainly being sword users.

Even if Mario got one or two more reps in this game, people wouldn't be ******** about it like Fire Emblem because it's freaking Mario. You can't denie whether you like them or not that Waluigi and Geno would get a HUGE amount of applause from the community and a lot of people if they got in even if it was kicking the Mario representation up to 11.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Overrepresentation could be bad or good all depending on who they add really.

Overrepresentation is done right with a franchise like Mario or Pokemon all having unique characters instead of Echos or semi-clones though Mario does have Dr. Mario and Daisy to cover the clone area, but that doesn't really bother that many people with Mario being Nintendo's flagship franchise. Fire Emblem on the other hand is the bad example of overrepresentation in the roster with very little diversity between all the characters movesets. Pretty much half of the characters being Marth clones or semi-clones and all of them excluding Robin all mainly being sword users.

Even if Mario got one or two more reps in this game, people wouldn't be ******** about it like Fire Emblem because it's freaking Mario. You can't denie whether you like them or not that Waluigi and Geno would get a HUGE amount of applause from the community and a lot of people if they got in even if it was kicking the Mario representation up to 11.
Although I don’t agree with both getting in simultaneously Mario having 11 reps is completely warranted. Mario is the flagship franchise and it realistically should have the most reps like it’s always had.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Pretty much half of the characters being Marth clones or semi-clones and all of them excluding Robin all mainly being sword users.
I mean, Byleth is a mix of everything out of the weapon triangle, though.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Forget the tennis racquet, give Waluigi a completely original moveset that's more based on his personality rather than stuff he's done in the games.

Things like tricks and gadgets, spring-loaded boxing gloves, fake item boxes, a lot of deception and chicanery. Have him bend the rules of the game. I imagine his whole gimmick is that he's a cheater so he uses the limitations of the game against the people playing it. Have him reach into the game's code and pull out a random item for himself to use. Have him hit them with an attack that, in certain conditions, will temporarily disable a button on the opponent's controller, or reverse the opponent's controls. Have him spit poison in people's faces.

I'm just saying, I'm not a huge Waluigi supporter or anything, but I think you guys have a character with a bit of interesting potential and you're going about him all wrong.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Forget the tennis racquet, give Waluigi a completely original moveset that's more based on his personality rather than stuff he's done in the games.

Things like tricks and gadgets, spring-loaded boxing gloves, fake item boxes, a lot of deception and chicanery. Have him bend the rules of the game. I imagine his whole gimmick is that he's a cheater so he uses the limitations of the game against the people playing it. Have him reach into the game's code and pull out a random item for himself to use. Have him hit them with an attack that, in certain conditions, will temporarily disable a button on the opponent's controller, or reverse the opponent's controls. Have him spit poison in people's faces.

I'm just saying, I'm not a huge Waluigi supporter or anything, but I think you guys have a character with a bit of interesting potential and you're going about him all wrong.
The reason it isn’t really discussed is not only is it one of tens of hundreds of potential themes waluigis moveset coild go do people view other concepts as higher priority to discuss but the last time we had a character who wasn’t really implemented correctly was Wario and people dislike his moveset and general implementation to such an extent that there are some advocating for Wario Land Wario to take up a unique newcomer slot as they’d rather have a Wario who isn’t all about farting and being disgusting. Although having a moveset based around a canonical trait vs having a moveset based on a traut which can be assumed to exist isn’t the same, it would probably still be safer to go down the canon approach if Sakurai were to add him

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
The reason it isn’t really discussed is not only is it one of tens of hundreds of potential themes waluigis moveset coild go do people view other concepts as higher priority to discuss but the last time we had a character who wasn’t really implemented correctly was Wario and people dislike his moveset and general implementation to such an extent that there are some advocating for Wario Land Wario to take up a unique newcomer slot as they’d rather have a Wario who isn’t all about farting and being disgusting. Although having a moveset based around a canonical trait vs having a moveset based on a traut which can be assumed to exist isn’t the same, it would probably still be safer to go down the canon approach if Sakurai were to add him
I disagree.

Yes Wario Land Wario is (or at least was) my #1 most wanted first party character since Melee but I am wholly against the idea of painting by numbers and just adding mediocre and unoriginal stuff that the character did in the games as part of their moveset. Daisy and Peach already use a tennis racquet as part of their moveset, giving it to Waluigi is just more of the same. There's only so much you can do with what he did in the games, whereas when you base a moveset on his personality, the sky is the limit since you're creating the moveset from scratch. Granted it can turn out badly and I hope whoever designed Wario's current moveset got fired, but that doesn't mean the method is bad, just that certain people have bad ideas, so next time just take the good ideas.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, Byleth is a mix of everything out of the weapon triangle, though.
True. But half of the Fire Emblem characters are still Echos or semi-clones of Marth. While Ike and Corrin ain't Marth Echos/semi-clones, they are MAINLY sword users cracking Fire Emblem's SOLEY based sword users up to 6. I think Fire Emblem's overrepresentation would be much less of a problem if there was more diversity of different weapon users instead of just MAINLY sword users in the Fire Emblem group.

Whether it's Mario spin offs moveset or Wah insanity moveset, I would be fine with either. I would prefer the Mario spin offs moveset though.

I disagree.

Yes Wario Land Wario is (or at least was) my #1 most wanted first party character since Melee but I am wholly against the idea of painting by numbers and just adding mediocre and unoriginal stuff that the character did in the games as part of their moveset. Daisy and Peach already use a tennis racquet as part of their moveset, giving it to Waluigi is just more of the same. There's only so much you can do with what he did in the games, whereas when you base a moveset on his personality, the sky is the limit since you're creating the moveset from scratch. Granted it can turn out badly and I hope whoever designed Wario's current moveset got fired, but that doesn't mean the method is bad, just that certain people have bad ideas, so next time just take the good ideas.
Had Sakurai added Wario instead of the 6 clones back in Melee, we have gotten Wario Land Wario in Smash.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Had Sakurai added Wario instead of the 6 clones back in Melee, we have gotten Wario Land Wario in Smash.
Not exactly. The six clones were made precisely because they didn't have enough time and resources to make a full unique character, at least that's what I remember reading long ago.

Top Bottom