• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think SSF2 has the perfect Waluigi moveset. Has enough references to the Sports and Party games as well as original moves that make sense and fit the character.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think it's possible to differentiate the two moves. Dice block would have wacky effects like freezing the opponent, doing 1% of damage, or stunning them. Tennis serve would be more of a standard projectile that does decent damage and knockback. Both might have RNG aspects but it's clear one of them only differs slightly in damage while the other does all kinds of different effects.
As far as I know, Judge does not apply the poison affect, and I think that would be really good for one of the numbers.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
A Waluigi trailer cannot be anything except a bait-and-switch if you ask me, be it for Smash or another game.
The ideal Waluigi trailer would be similar to Terry's trailer, but with several different assist trophies all trying to snag the floating envelope. Isaac, Jeff, Samurai Goroh, Sukapon, characters like that. They all dive toward the envelope in one glorious pile, only for Waluigi to use them as stepping stones, climb to the top, and... almost snatch the invite.

Starfy appears out of nowhere and swipes it right out of Waluigi's grasp. He gets a splash page.

STARFY Rises to Stardom!

The "gameplay" segment begins. We see Starfy (actually the regular old Starfy assist trophy, but shhh!) dealing damage to some fighters. He spins and knocks a few high-tier suckas like Bayonetta, Inkling, and Joker out of his way... but stops at Waluigi's feet. Waluigi has his hands on his hips and is tapping his foot impatiently. Starfy looks up at him. Waluigi swings back his leg and punts him right into the stratosphere.

Too Bad! WALUIGI Time!

The real trailer begins. The Wah-man shows off his moves. Typical reveal trailer stuff. Back to pre-rendered CG (Not Actual Gameplay Footage): the entire roster lies defeated in a pile, with Waluigi sitting on top of them like Conan on his throne. He lies back, crosses his legs, and holds up the envelope like a total sass master. He winks at the viewer and laughs.

We pan back. Starfy is watching the scene from a distance. He turns around, makes a determined expression, and clenches his little starfish fist. Next time, he thinks. Next time...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The ideal Waluigi trailer would be similar to Terry's trailer, but with several different assist trophies all trying to snag the floating envelope. Isaac, Jeff, Samurai Goroh, Sukapon, characters like that. They all dive toward the envelope in one glorious pile, only for Waluigi to use them as stepping stones, climb to the top, and... almost snatch the invite.

Starfy appears out of nowhere and swipes it right out of Waluigi's grasp. He gets a splash page.

STARFY Rises to Stardom!

The "gameplay" segment begins. We see Starfy (actually the regular old Starfy assist trophy, but shhh!) dealing damage to some fighters. He spins and knocks a few high-tier suckas like Bayonetta, Inkling, and Joker out of his way... but stops at Waluigi's feet. Waluigi has his hands on his hips and is tapping his foot impatiently. Starfy looks up at him. Waluigi swings back his leg and punts him right into the stratosphere.

Too Bad! WALUIGI Time!

The real trailer begins. The Wah-man shows off his moves. Typical reveal trailer stuff. Back to pre-rendered CG (Not Actual Gameplay Footage): the entire roster lies defeated in a pile, with Waluigi sitting on top of them like Conan on his throne. He lies back, crosses his legs, and holds up the envelope like a total sass master. He winks at the viewer and laughs.

We pan back. Starfy is watching the scene from a distance. He turns around, makes a determined expression, and clenches his little starfish fist. Next time, he thinks. Next time...
I think a trailer such as that would be received terribly. Tons of ATs have huge fan followings, that kind of reminder that they're not playable is just going to rub salt in the wound. This isn't akin to telling the few people who thought Geese or Nakoruru could get in over SNK's mascot that they're wrong.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think it'd be more like Chrom getting pwned by Captain Falcon in Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer. Or the dragon chick saying "Too many sword fighters, huh?" in Byleth's. Smash fans appreciate a little bit of cheek.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think it'd be more like Chrom getting pwned by Captain Falcon in Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer. Or the dragon chick saying "Too many sword fighters, huh?" in Byleth's. Smash fans appreciate a little bit of cheek.
Chrom getting shafted was so poorly received that fan demand got him into Ultimate instead.

The "too many swordfighters" joke isn't the same as joking about Byleth getting in over other characters. That's perfectly fine, as is Ridley's tagline being "Ridley hits the big time!" It's when the joke is at the expense of a character not getting in that their fans will take it poorly - as they should, it's very much a sore winner attitude.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can say that when I saw how Chrom was treated, I started to want him in Ultimate. The Guidance only made me want him more.

If Lucina wasn't in, and it was only Robin, I wouldn't have much cared otherwise. I mean, I wouldn't complain either cause more fun fighters to use, but Chrom was actually done dirty. At least alts weren't outright treated poorly(though Alph practically never got anything, but that's not the same as being treated poorly either). Bowser Jr. is like the only alt set to actually show up in a trailer and be treated in a cool manner too, actually. Well, Byleth admittedly got a neat joke with "I'm bringing myself again" in his/her trailer. I don't think any of the male/female alts had a neat trailer like that either. Again, not counting Jr.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What do you all think is the best stage that could come with Waluigi?

I've mentioned Waluigi pinball as a possibility before, but I think a Mario Party board would be REALLY neat as a stage. It would be a pure chaotic RNG fest.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

I've mentioned Waluigi pinball as a possibility before, but I think a Mario Party board would be REALLY neat as a stage. It would be a pure chaotic RNG fest.
The Mario Party stage for him would be Waluigi's Island.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I think it would be cool if Waluigi had some sort of 4th wall breaking or 'cheating' mechanic--though I have no idea what that could be or how it could be implemented

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As far as stages go, how is this for a Waluigi stage?

In front of Waluigi’s Taco Stand?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I think it would be cool if Waluigi had some sort of 4th wall breaking or 'cheating' mechanic--though I have no idea what that could be or how it could be implemented
I would love that! One of his attacks would be him grabbing your name above said character and smacking them on the head.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Chrom getting shafted was so poorly received that fan demand got him into Ultimate instead.

The "too many swordfighters" joke isn't the same as joking about Byleth getting in over other characters. That's perfectly fine, as is Ridley's tagline being "Ridley hits the big time!" It's when the joke is at the expense of a character not getting in that their fans will take it poorly - as they should, it's very much a sore winner attitude.
I remember people laughing at Chrom and turning him into a memetic loser, but all right. How's this: instead of Starfy nabbing the invite, it's another assist trophy that makes playable, like Isaac or Spring Man, and the trailer is a double reveal?

Waluigi Pinball is the way to go. If Mario Party gets a stage, it should be something more classic, like Mini-Game Stadium from MP1.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Waluigi's stage would probably be a cop out. As much as it would be interesting to get something like Mario Party, I don't see it happening. The game already has multiple Mario Kart stages so, honestly, "Waluigi's" stage would probably be something like Luigi's Mansion 3. Nintendo's kind of **** at giving characters their own stages and typically goes for the middle ground by simply trying to represent the latest games. In all seriousness, if Nintendo can't even bother giving Bowser his own stage, there's no way in Hell Waluigi is getting his own.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Waluigi's stage would probably be a cop out. As much as it would be interesting to get something like Mario Party, I don't see it happening. The game already has multiple Mario Kart stages so, honestly, "Waluigi's" stage would probably be something like Luigi's Mansion 3. Nintendo's kind of **** at giving characters their own stages and typically goes for the middle ground by simply trying to represent the latest games. In all seriousness, if Nintendo can't even bother giving Bowser his own stage, there's no way in Hell Waluigi is getting his own.
Imagine if Waluigi came with Bowser's Castle

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What's with the whole "Waluigi with Luigi's Mansion" thing I'm seeing here?
Basically a weird ****in' loophole that Nintendo would probably pull if Waluigi was added.

-Every Smash game has had at least two new Mario stages. So far Ultimate is the first without. Since Melee, the new Mario typically involve the latest games in the series or "retro" picks. Melee's main modern Mario stages were based on Super Mario 64, Brawl's on Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion, Smash 4 3DS on 3D Land and NSMB2, Smash 4 Wii U on Galaxy and NSMBU, Smash 4 DLC on Mario Maker, and Ultimate on Odyssey. Keep in mind that there's already a Mario Kart 8 stage and Nintendo generally gives negative ****s about the other spin-offs. This pretty much puts a big glowing arrow on Luigi's Mansion 3.

-Luigi's Mansion 3 has yet to have a spirit event, now basically being the only major 2019 game that hasn't gotten one yet.

-Nintendo is not very good with giving characters their own stages. Either they celebrate the latest games or they go super generic to just try to encompass as many themes as they can.

Along with this, I'm pretty confident that Luigi's Mansion 3 is going to have a major DLC expansion at some point and tying Waluigi to it for the sake of promotion makes sense to me. Along with this, Nintendo's probably dying to make a Gooigi hat or Mii costume so this just gives them an excuse to do it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Basically a weird ****in' loophole that Nintendo would probably pull if Waluigi was added.

-Every Smash game has had at least two new Mario stages. So far Ultimate is the first without. Since Melee, the new Mario typically involve the latest games in the series or "retro" picks. Melee's main modern Mario stages were based on Super Mario 64, Brawl's on Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion, Smash 4 3DS on 3D Land and NSMB2, Smash 4 Wii U on Galaxy and NSMBU, Smash 4 DLC on Mario Maker, and Ultimate on Odyssey. Keep in mind that there's already a Mario Kart 8 stage and Nintendo generally gives negative ****s about the other spin-offs. This pretty much puts a big glowing arrow on Luigi's Mansion 3.

-Luigi's Mansion 3 has yet to have a spirit event, now basically being the only major 2019 game that hasn't gotten one yet.

-Nintendo is not very good with giving characters their own stages. Either they celebrate the latest games or they go super generic to just try to encompass as many themes as they can.

Along with this, I'm pretty confident that Luigi's Mansion 3 is going to have a major DLC expansion at some point and tying Waluigi to it for the sake of promotion makes sense to me. Along with this, Nintendo's probably dying to make a Gooigi hat or Mii costume so this just gives them an excuse to do it.
Except why would Nintendo not know the ways SSBU already promoted LM3? It's via this game/Simon's trailer that we first knew about the name, appearance, and ability to shoot plungers that the Poltergust G-00 would have.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The Luigi's Mansion 3 stage should be called "Luigi's Last Resort." Honestly, the game itself should be called that.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ya know I looked back at Waluigi's reception from fans over the decade and wondered what exactly caused people to change their feelings about him. Back in the 2000s he wasn't really that well liked by people, or rather, the hate from his detractors was always louder than the positivity from his fans. I always felt that only I and a few other people liked him on the internet back then. The 2010s saw a shift in reception towards him and there has been more fan art, positivity, and fans of Waluigi coming out. It makes me wonder what exactly caused this change to happen, especially since Waluigi hasn't changed his role as the spin-off guy.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Ya know I looked back at Waluigi's reception from fans over the decade and wondered what exactly caused people to change their feelings about him. Back in the 2000s he wasn't really that well liked by people, or rather, the hate from his detractors was always louder than the positivity from his fans. I always felt that only I and a few other people liked him on the internet back then. The 2010s saw a shift in reception towards him and there has been more fan art, positivity, and fans of Waluigi coming out. It makes me wonder what exactly caused this change to happen, especially since Waluigi hasn't changed his role as the spin-off guy.
It's probably because more and more younger fans, who've known Waluigi their whole lives and think of him as an integral part of the Mario universe, are expressing themselves and their opinions on the internet. The biggest Waluigi fan I know wasn't even born when Mario Tennis came out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's probably because more and more younger fans, who've known Waluigi their whole lives and think of him as an integral part of the Mario universe, are expressing themselves and their opinions on the internet. The biggest Waluigi fan I know wasn't even born when Mario Tennis came out.
Yeah, that's probably it. I was born in the year 2000, and as far as I'm concerned he's one of the main Mario characters. Same with all my friends, many of whom are not into games but still know Waluigi.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Wait, GoodGrief is younger then me? I'm 1999 btw.
Waa has always been a major character for me as well.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Someone brought it up in the Geno thread but Waluigi being revealed in the next Direct and being an April release would be pretty great. April Fool's Day 2020: Waluigi playable in Smash. That's just too good to pass up.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Someone brought it up in the Geno thread but Waluigi being revealed in the next Direct and being an April release would be pretty great. April Fool's Day 2020: Waluigi playable in Smash. That's just too good to pass up.
But very improbable and everything that is too good to pass up is indeed too good, so it won't happen.

It's like when people were saying that Banjo was gonna get announced because it was his 20th anniversary. It was too good to pass up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People ask me where my confidence for Waluigi comes from so I figured I'd go into detail about it.

"Fatman, none of your contacts are currently guessing Waluigi for 6, why are you?"

No offense to them but they were all wrong about 5 so that gives me even less incentive to hitch my wagon to everything they say. One of the guys even knew about the TH stage and spirit board and, ironically, that Byleth was coming but as a Mii costume back in December but, obviously, the first half was true but, **** on toast, Byleth was playable. I had this much information and still didn't get it right. Pretty embarrassing. Knowing Byleth would have literally been a Christmas gift if I hadn't been so hard set on the Fighter's Pass being all third party. Oh well... Moving on.

So, why do I expect Waluigi for 6? He would follow past precedent in a lot of ways. Since honestly Melee, the first reveals of Smash games are usually about subverting expectations and nut punching fan rules.

-Melee reveal had Ice Climbers. What the hell?

-Brawl reveal had Pit and Snake.

-Smash 4 reveal had Villager and Wii Fit. The first was an Animal Crossing fakeout and the second was a Wii Fit fakeout.

-Smash 4 DLC was shadowdropped in the 50 Fact Banana Slamma and, oh ****, it's Mewtwo, an MIA character since Melee.

-Ultimate was dropped in a March Direct, making it the first Smash since the original not announcement at an E3. Although kind of an obvious one, it was also a Splatoon fakeout but plenty of people still fell for it.

-E3 2018: Everyone is here and not one but two characters that Sakurai personally said **** off to multiple times, Daisy and Ridley.

-Plant, just... Plant.

-Joker was a fake out trailer in front of a live audience at a major award ceremony.

This is why I think 6 will do the same and why Waluigi fits this perfectly. Subverts expectations, crushes fan rules, creates a ton of buzz and interest. Waluigi making the jump would basically be the death knell of Ultimate's biggest fan rule and have people be wildly excited for what else could come. Without exaggeration, it would make global news because Waluigi, love him or hate him, is a video game icon and pop culture icon.

People underrate how much of a big deal Waluigi is and I talk about this earlier in the thread. "Well, he's not important." That's literally part of his appeal. He WANTS to be important but is a perpetual loser and there's hardly a gaming fan out there that's unaware of this. He's like the Charlie Brown of gaming and why him actually making the jump would be an enormous deal. After 20 years, he's FINALLY playable in something important. That's newsworthy. That grabs attention. That allows Nintendo to save probable aces like Crash for later. It's a perfect way to start, especially if these really are the final six or seven characters we're getting.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Wait, GoodGrief is younger then me? I'm 1999 btw.
Waa has always been a major character for me as well.
I'm 1990 (let me tell you about The X-Files sometime) and it took me a while to warm up to Waluigi. I remember thinking he "cheapened" Wario and hating that his name didn't work in English.

You young 'uns definitely won't relate to this, but I tend to think of Mario Tennis not as Waluigi's debut but as DK Jr.'s last bow.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm 1990 (let me tell you about The X-Files sometime) and it took me a while to warm up to Waluigi. I remember thinking he "cheapened" Wario and hating that his name didn't work in English.

You young 'uns definitely won't relate to this, but I tend to think of Mario Tennis not as Waluigi's debut but as DK Jr.'s last bow.
I'm 1990 as well. Initially I liked Waluigi but I didn't appreciate him then like I do now. It's hard to believe that 1990 is 30 years ago already :/.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
83620951_635660123911468_3050725904687824896_n.jpg

I realized today that Waluigi is kind of the perfect character to promote because he somehow threads the needle of basically everything that could be promoted to playable aside from a Pokeball Pokemon:

-He's technically been an ALT since Brawl for Luigi and was an ALT for Mario until Ultimate.

-An assist trophy since Brawl.

-A trophy in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4.

-2 stickers in Brawl.

-3 spirits in Ultimate.

-Technically a costume in Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Aside from Ridley and Daisy (who are both now playable), he's basically been the Smash champion of missing the boat since 2001.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
God, this thread is painfully dead, isn't it? Guess this won't count as a double post. Been talking with some of my friends about Smash rumors today and two big topics came up that I wanted share here.

1. One of my friends brought up "you know, given 6 hasn't leaked yet, it's probably first party." I think they may be onto something. Verge leaked Ridley but nobody believed them until after the fact, Dark Samus, Chrom, AND K. Rool didn't leak, and Plant was leaked by one person and, again, nobody believed them until it happened. Let's not forget Byleth either. Usually the first party characters that Nintendo actually owns are the most leak protected so it brings up a compelling argument for the possible nature of 6.

2. People are talking about the Bayo glitch but I think people are missing the forest through the trees. 7.0 had a massive patch for shields. Why? To prevent shield poking. Okay, who got these buffs?

-Tall characters
-Characters with long tails or ears
-Characters with long hair
-Characters with big feet
-Characters extra big protruding facial features (Plant's lips and Olimar's helmet)

The overall purpose was likely for the sake of competitive play but we could potentially theorycraft it's to accommodate an upcoming tall character. Again, this is most obvious in Bayo, a character who is tall with long legs. Let's cut into this cake already...

maxresdefault.jpg

This is Waluigi in Ultimate. What do you notice? Long arms, long legs, long feet, a long nose, a long chin, long ears... You get the idea. This is why this Bayo stuff is making me HMMMM extra hard.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This is why this Bayo stuff is making me HMMMM extra hard.
I'd imagine Bayonetta would be used as the base for someone female, as ZSS was used as her base due to being a slender, gun-toting woman. When modders make Waluigi playable in Smash games, they tend to use a man's skeleton.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd imagine Bayonetta would be used as the base for someone female, as ZSS was used as her base due to being a slender, gun-toting woman. When modders make Waluigi playable in Smash games, they tend to use a man's skeleton.
That's not my argument though. I'm pointing out that this patch overwhelmingly affected the shields of tall characters and those with "protrusions." Again, long ears, long tails, long feet, long hair, etc. Shields were made more accommodating for these kinds of characters. It's kind of weird and makes me entertain the idea that the next character will be tall and/or have a lot of protrusions.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
God, this thread is painfully dead, isn't it? Guess this won't count as a double post. Been talking with some of my friends about Smash rumors today and two big topics came up that I wanted share here.

1. One of my friends brought up "you know, given 6 hasn't leaked yet, it's probably first party." I think they may be onto something. Verge leaked Ridley but nobody believed them until after the fact, Dark Samus, Chrom, AND K. Rool didn't leak, and Plant was leaked by one person and, again, nobody believed them until it happened. Let's not forget Byleth either. Usually the first party characters that Nintendo actually owns are the most leak protected so it brings up a compelling argument for the possible nature of 6.

2. People are talking about the Bayo glitch but I think people are missing the forest through the trees. 7.0 had a massive patch for shields. Why? To prevent shield poking. Okay, who got these buffs?

-Tall characters
-Characters with long tails or ears
-Characters with long hair
-Characters with big feet
-Characters extra big protruding facial features (Plant's lips and Olimar's helmet)

The overall purpose was likely for the sake of competitive play but we could potentially theorycraft it's to accommodate an upcoming tall character. Again, this is most obvious in Bayo, a character who is tall with long legs. Let's cut into this cake already...

View attachment 260702

This is Waluigi in Ultimate. What do you notice? Long arms, long legs, long feet, a long nose, a long chin, long ears... You get the idea. This is why this Bayo stuff is making me HMMMM extra hard.
Don’t you also think Geno will be in Ultimate? So are you predicting them both in the same wave?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
6 and 7, yeah. My current prediction spread is Waluigi, Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief. Given Waluigi and Geno are both Mario characters but nothing alike, I think it's a non-issue.
Ok nice. I suppose they could class Geno as from his own series as the Super Mario RPG series so they don’t interfere with Waluigi being a Mario character

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Honestly, I could see Bayo being used as a base for Waluigi - they both have a similar skeleton and it really wouldn't surprise me to see Sakurai play up this side of Waluigi like he does Wario's slobby side or DK's beastly side:

Heck, the fluidness of Bayonetta's animations could play into this too, perhaps Sakurai would want to pull a reverse card on Wario's uncomfortably choppy animations and give Waluigi uncomfortably sensual animations. Sakurai's always been a little unusual when it comes to Mario characters, not saying that's a bad thing of course. (at least not in the case of Wario and this theoretical Waluigi. DK, Bowser and Mario are different stories)

Top Bottom