• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Rule To Think About: Grab Infinites *Ledge Stall Update*

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
the only tactics that should be banned are those that completely take character control out of the hands of the other player for an amount of time to be chosen solely by the player who is performing the tactic. This is why i was for banning wobbling in melee, and has been stated in the rules of smash for as long as i know (IC freeze glitch, wobbling was just an easier version of this). That being said ddds infinite really should be banned imo
EX-muthafukkin-ACTLY

-advent-

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
Ike? lol... he doesn't belong up there with the others. hehe
his ledge stall isn't at the same level as the other's, but if you space his upb right only characters who can shoot water or push people in other ways can really mess you up because of his armor frames.

just pointing out that a lot of people don't realize how ******** his recovery is on the ledge

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I really don't think that is should be banned. Every infinite is character-specific. If you don't want to be infinited, then choose another character. We have secondaries for a reason, you know.

(And yes, this is coming from a Yoshi main. You shouldn't even be picking Wario in the first place if you are fighting against Yoshi.)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Chain grabbing should not be banned. Chain grabbing was more of a problem in Melee than it is now in Brawl. Marth had a 0-death combo on space animals if they got grabbed and Marth executed everything correctly. The only thing that comes close to that in Brawl is ICs chaingrab but it's very difficult to do.

Standing infinites should be banned. At least wobbling took a timing to be able to do, and it was still banned. Standing infinites in Brawl are just too easy.

Chaingrabs are combos....Ginger, what is it again? Badlands into...badlands into... Well this is smash, so it's grab into grab into....grab..into...TORNADO(only kidding) Maybe we should rethink the word combo in Brawl. Combos in Brawl to me are connecting attacks done one after another that aren't shielded when that person doing the combo is on the offensive(both players can't be set to a neutral position). If they dodge away, but you hit them when they hit the floor while retreating, then it's still a combo.

Ledge camping should not be banned. Although I really hate it and cannot respect anyone as a person or a gamer for doing it, it shouldn't be banned. Like Blatt(w/o revealing your true identity) said, 'just get percent advantage and you're fine." And yes, I've been knocked out of a tournament by a ledge camper.

mkGmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL (for
You guys are silly... We really shouldn't be banning any of this. If this means a few characters have huge disadvantages against others then so be it. The only things that should be banned are the most extreme stalling techniques (Sonic's neutralB stall under certain stages for example) and anything that just makes it impossible to finish the match (like the ICs freeze glitch in MELEE -- edit: which is a bad example). If you ban one thing then you're just gonna want to ban another... This is as stupid as making a hack for Brawl the competitive answer.

Since everyone is pulling this dumb card... I main Wario and I don't even care. Whatever happened to the mentality of just simply not getting grabbed? :rolleyes:

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
It wasnt impossible to not finish the match if you got hit by the IC freeze glitch, iceclimbers could get you up to 999% while you are stuck in place (or just rack up enough damage to kill you) lol once you die youd respawn as normal. Imagine if that was never banned and every stock you lost was you just watching them have their way with you. depressing.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Brawl = Grab, down throw, grab, down throw, grab, down throw, grab, down throw, grab, down throw, spike=no kill except on Falco and Wolf.

Melee=Grab up throw, grab up throw, grab upthrow, up tilt, up tilt, up tilt,(insert aerials here), side smash(maybe) kill.

Unban Jungle Japes. I'm sick of people banning the most neutral stage in the game against me just because they're afraid of 2% and 1% lasers.

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
You can't just have a forum-wide rule....random people that dont come on the forums go to tournaments ( not that they are threats ) but im saying..for example: say someone doesnt like your rule, and the tournament itself didnt state that rule is active, and he does it....theres nothing you can really do about it. I dont mind these rules but im just saying..

Umby

Smash Master
You can't just have a forum-wide rule....random people that dont come on the forums go to tournaments ( not that they are threats ) but im saying..for example: say someone doesnt like your rule, and the tournament itself didnt state that rule is active, and he does it....theres nothing you can really do about it. I dont mind these rules but im just saying..
If you're hosting your tournaments, all the rules in effect should be listed when people enter the venue anyway. The rule in question would be no exeption.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
his ledge stall isn't at the same level as the other's, but if you space his upb right only characters who can shoot water or push people in other ways can really mess you up because of his armor frames.

just pointing out that a lot of people don't realize how ******** his recovery is on the ledge
uh, you do know that Ike can only upB onto the ledge 5 times, and then he has to get on the stage, right? and also...you do know that's it's really easy to punish that, right?

Chain grabbing should not be banned. Chain grabbing was more of a problem in Melee than it is now in Brawl. Marth had a 0-death combo on space animals if they got grabbed and Marth executed everything correctly. The only thing that comes close to that in Brawl is ICs chaingrab but it's very difficult to do.
LOL @ saying CGing in melee is more of a problem than in brawl...

:colorful:
I gotta agree with Tommy on this one..
..but not due to marth. Marth's cg was super DIable...and really not impossible to get out of...just had to be smart about it.

However, Sheik single handedly made the lower half of the Melee roster completely unplayable in tournament. Yes, you can link me to matches where random low tier x beat a good Sheik player, but that does not mean the match was not almost unwinnable.

Ganon had a 0-70+ cg on quite a few characters...meaning that somebody like Roy should NEVER beat him.

ICs had some sort of CG on almost every character in the game...a fact which made them quite a good character, and nearly impossible for a large part of the cast...

Yes, it was a larger problem in Melee...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I really don't think that is should be banned. Every infinite is character-specific. If you don't want to be infinited, then choose another character. We have secondaries for a reason, you know.

(And yes, this is coming from a Yoshi main. You shouldn't even be picking Wario in the first place if you are fighting against Yoshi.)
Why not? A good Wario shouldn't have problems against a Yoshi, because a good Wario shouldn't be getting grabbed by Yoshi, and Yoshi can't compete in other areas.

personally,
I PREFER THE AIR

GA Peach

Smash Lord
i can't believe all this stuff has come up with this game and people still play it...i guess if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Marth had chain grabs on the 2 most ridiculous characters in Melee.

It made both of those match ups even or close to it.

Shiek was Shiek.

There's nothing wrong with chain grabs/standing grabs/ness/lucas grab/zelda/yoshi/wario/balh blah blah.

It's apart of smash.

Play 2 or 3 characters and end this thread.

Pritch

Smash Lord
However, Sheik single handedly made the lower half of the Melee roster completely unplayable in tournament. Yes, you can link me to matches where random low tier x beat a good Sheik player, but that does not mean the match was not almost unwinnable.
I would argue that while sheik's chainthrows certainly didn't help matters for them, you'd still be pretty hard pressed to see pikachus, links, roys, nesses, and etc going that far in tournaments (exceptional players like A-L, sethlon, skler, and etc aside, and even there I wouldn't expect them to be winning). There's still spacies, falcon, marth, peach, etc, all of whom have huge advantages against them too. It's not like they would magically not be low tier if sheik didn't exist. Pika would still have bad damage output, roy would still be like marth with less damage and comboability, link would still be slow and punishable, etc, etc.

Top Bottom