• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Player Approaches. Advice?

TheLake

Smash Master
Pika has always been zeldas 2nd worst matchup.

I would argue its the worst

but shieks a dorkfacemeaniehead

yeah i said it

pichu isnt quite as hard...

at all actually

in fact you should win

everytime except once

because you were in awe of how cute he can be

which is legit

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol Pichu is too legit for you. My pichu shall now become a zelda slayer k. I'm done working on these other matchups, I'm going to perfect Pichu's zelda ****** abilities, which are already good... since he has an agility...

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I don't have much pichu experience, but I'd say it's slightly in zelda's favor. Pikachu beats zelda though.

D

Deleted member

pikachu isn't that bad of a match for zelda. it's not like sheik fox falcon where they can just attack without fear of punishment. pikachu is fast but he has to commit to moves and most pikachu players are aggressive enough where it'll happen fairly often. pikachu also can't kill from a grab which is HUGE as zelda. the only thing that sucks is when you have to recover and pikachu gets a free upsmash. **** kills.

pichu has absolutely nothing on zelda. that match is hopeless.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Pichu's just hard to kick, but that's pretty much the only advantage he's got (and even then he's not that hard to kick). Idk, how would pichu even approach zelda?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu would approach you with a nair or a PAWD, or just not approach... or fake an approach to get you to try and punish him with agility mindgames.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
any tips against marth? i feel like he dash dances and grabs the crap out of zelda.

i find that i can live for a while against him, but the combos are crazy. every aerial leads into another

btw, i've been switching between zelda and sheik, taking a page out of cosmo's book! shoutout to cosmo :)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
any tips against marth? i feel like he dash dances and grabs the crap out of zelda.

i find that i can live for a while against him, but the combos are crazy. every aerial leads into another

btw, i've been switching between zelda and sheik, taking a page out of cosmo's book! shoutout to cosmo :)
Um...he has a lot of range, and combos her fairly well. She has no reliable projectiles to get in with, so you have to bait Marth's lag really hard. Whenever he forward smashes, PUNISH. I'm not sure if wave dashing in will work, but make sure you make him fear throwing a forward smash out. Zelda's dash attack doesn't last as long as, say, Peach's dash attack, but if he's approaching with fair, you should be able to use that to upset him. Just be really patient, don't miss an opportunity to kick, and make him come to you.

OR...you could play this matchup as Sheik. THAT is a lot easier.

D

Deleted member

yea, sheik really is a much easier option lol.

still, i feel like zelda should do pretty well against marth. i'm still experimenting.
sheik is only easier vs marth if you have a good sheik. sell-outs never do well in this game.

zelda vs marth is mostly not getting hit by dash attack or upthrow approach and a lot of fsmash. throwing kicks out is alright vs marth but you'd be doing yourself a favor to stay on the ground.

god i love colette. i played and learned to abuse the **** out of that character.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
sheik is only easier vs marth if you have a good sheik. sell-outs never do well in this game.

zelda vs marth is mostly not getting hit by dash attack or upthrow approach and a lot of fsmash. throwing kicks out is alright vs marth but you'd be doing yourself a favor to stay on the ground.

god i love colette. i played and learned to abuse the **** out of that character.
Mmm. Marth kills well in the air, but I was thinking about how many things Zelda had going for her on the ground, and spaced fsmash, f-tilt, and d-tilt at high percents to u-tilt was all that came to mind. The main thing is to punish, though.

Ha ha ha, yes. As a character, I didn't care for her that much, but as a fighter, I loved Colette. She kind of became my main in that game. Glad I'm not the only one who like her fighting style.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Tales of Symphonia is a legit game. Too bad I lost my copy. T_T
Now that sucks. I've been trying to buy one, but I only saw one copy at Game Stop, and didn't have money then. One of my friends has it, but he is not willing to sell it. I understand, but that leaves me without an awesome game.

TheLake

Smash Master

WOW with a name as cool as devil ray how are you having problems in any matchup?

Oh right your zelda...

well ok so you dash attack

like peach

and push n ****

but then you gotta back off see

cause you cant camp with turnips

you camp by kicking

and jabbin n ****

dont leave the ground

unless they fsmash your shield

den kick em good

light shield edgeguard

and back throw

oh empty short hop grabs

you cant do anything out of em

but man you gonna be stylin

and husssliiin

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
TheLake's way of talking makes me wanna catch him in a pokeball and run around throwing him at people so he can obliterate them with logic and talkishness :3

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
lol sux for you jaiye, i bought the one at gamestop today :3
Darn you, Max.

TheLake's way of talking makes me wanna catch him in a pokeball and run around throwing him at people so he can obliterate them with logic and talkishness :3
Yeah, I like reading TheLake's posts. He's pretty cool. Funny how the Zelda boards are a little bit alive in this thread only...

D

Deleted member

nah zelda is pretty much garbage. slow, no grab game, no throw to kill 2 hit combo, no weight, exploitable recovery, etc. she has some nice upsides like almost lagless moves, good kill power, great range and priority, fast attacks, but it's not enough to prevent the ****.

colette on the other hand is hilarious. BXBXBXBXBXBXB *wait 8 seconds, everything dies*

I usually use sheena. i more use colette second, and only when i don't actually feel like fighting and i just want everything dead with minimal effort.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, Devil Ray, Marth/Zelda is not going to be easy. But it's not like Sheik/Zelda. I've never played that, but I hear that that matchup is impossible, period. Like, 90:10 impossible. And the 10 means that you have a chance if you turn to Sheik, or cheat.

I did love that about Colette. She makes a dumb mistake, and everything blows up. Too good. I always found Sheena a little difficult, but then again, I liked using Presea...so...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
She can CG Falco and Fox...but it's pretty difficult, considering her slow grab. I'll wait for Dark Hart to look up that data.

D

Deleted member

She can CG Falco and Fox...but it's pretty difficult, considering her slow grab. I'll wait for Dark Hart to look up that data.
from 0 and no decay you can do 3 grabs unless they do full DI behind you but if they do that you want to bair/dash attack anyway and hope they tech some way other than rolling away from you. either way it's only a little bit of damage unless the opponent is ********. you can do some really devastating combos on FD and it works on falco fox and falcon so one of its best uses is making falcon players complain about their character.

if you have 1.0 and you upthrow them and they DI bad and you get a dash upsmash under them, they are completely and totally ****ed.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
from 0 and no decay you can do 3 grabs unless they do full DI behind you but if they do that you want to bair/dash attack anyway and hope they tech some way other than rolling away from you. either way it's only a little bit of damage unless the opponent is ********. you can do some really devastating combos on FD and it works on falco fox and falcon so one of its best uses is making falcon players complain about their character.

if you have 1.0 and you upthrow them and they DI bad and you get a dash upsmash under them, they are completely and totally ****ed.
I wanted to include Falcon in that, but I was kind of wary, cause he's weirder than spacies (in my head, anyways). Chain grabs with Zelda are kind of cool, but it's probably best to dash attack/kick anyways.

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
A wreckless Marth can be a fairly fun and not too threatening opponent for Zelda. But a Marth who's on point can be such a doucher. Lake is right though. Never leave the ground unless you can get that guaranteed kill and recover smart. When you're doing your little ribbon twirl you're still vulnerable to being spiked or any other damaging move. But if you survive long enough Marth will have a much harder time of killing you and then you gotta do all the work from there. Don't be scurred.

Zelda can CG Fox and Falco up to about 3 or 4 times if I remember correctly. If they DI hard left/right then just dash attack them and see if you can grab them out of that dash attack and then kick 'em!

GOTM

Smash Champion
so one of its best uses is making falcon players complain about their character.
if this is mow (and i think it is from the other replies), when me and scar stayed over that weekend, and you ***** his falcon with zelda, lmao. that was awesome.

since then i've wanted to main zelda. and now i will do it, ha.

as for the marth/zelda matchup - i've played some decent marth's recently with her (in tourney and friendlies), and that matchup didn't seem that bad. basically i just dash attack OOS against their fsmash and then that seemed to space me enough to get a fair off and then they get surprised and forget how to play, LOL.

against falcon, well....idfk what to do. m2k's falcon 4 stocks my zelda everytime. yeah its m2k i know but...that matchup seems so much more brutal to me than the spacies.

sheiks sheik...ill just play fox against that *****.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Looooool

Comboing falcon is **** though, since once you hit him it's all like... Oh yea... It's still falcon lol

And I remember reading that jab combo's into grab, bit that doesn't sound right for some reason...

:phone:

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
falcon doesn't **** zelda, but it's not easy. problem is the grab game. comboes--->knee can happen(happens against almost any char vs falcon) but the grabs are tricky. zelda is a big target grab target.

D

Deleted member

falcon doesn't **** zelda, but it's not easy. problem is the grab game. comboes--->knee can happen(happens against almost any char vs falcon) but the grabs are tricky. zelda is a big target grab target.
one might say she's such a good grab target that the matchup is hard for her. or that she gets ***** by grabs. or that the match-up is ****.

yeah let's go with that. douglas j falcon has his way with zelda pretty much.

Top Bottom