• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A national tourney idea

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Doesn't ban-a-character tourney kinda favor those who have a clone of their main?

Most fox mains can play falco and vice versa I thought

Pi

Smash Hero
Doesn't ban-a-character tourney kinda favor those who have a clone of their main?

Most fox mains can play falco and vice versa I thought
I wouldn't say it favors them, fox & falco's moves may be similar, but their playstyles are entirely different. How each one approaches, combo's, edge guards is very unique. Having a good fox doesn't mean you have a good falco, in fact very little carries over, the timing for shffling is different, lasers, jumps, wavedashing, all is different.

It's like saying ganon & falcon's playstyles are the same, only too a lesser extent.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm, well the only clones you'd have to WORRY about are probably fox/falco. Doc/Mario aren't as bad... Ok Falcon/Ganon may be a bit bad, lol. (Although knihT is right, they are both different as day and night, if I were a falcon I would not secondary ganon, he's too slow lol, but still good)

The Star King

Smash Hero
I see many Falco mains second Fox, but not vice versa. Dunno why, but I personally main Falco and second Fox because I like having a fast, agressive style, not because they're similar.

john!

Smash Hero
that would seem to suggest that fox doesn't take much skill or experience to be good with compared to falco, other than tech skill of course (which falco mains already possess)

The Star King

Smash Hero
that would seem to suggest that fox doesn't take much skill or experience to be good with compared to falco, other than tech skill of course (which falco mains already possess)
I think it's a style issue... people who like being aggressive will tend to main Falco, and second Fox, and people who... like whatever reason they have for maining Fox, don't use Falco at all. Sorry for not being clearer but I dunno why people main Fox lol

Armada

Smash Lord
Just ban Puff and than we can play like normal :p

That`s a way better idea.

But this idea is actually kinda stupid.
if we take fotball for exampel: I ban your keeper from being a keeper. So he have to play something else.

I guess everyone understand my point.

Playing one char (if you don`t play puff) is a big risk because some matchups is really hard when multi mainers (m2k for example) have 3 really good chars so he can always change char if the matchup is bad.

He play Marth against Fox/Falco (most of the time at leats against fox)
He playing Sheik against Falcon
Fox against Peach (Marth against me too) and IC.

No johns M2k is your decision before every match wich char do you wanna play :p

ShadyMilkman

Smash Apprentice
I disagree to an extent. While multimaining does help you cover certain matchups, it also requires you to change your playstyle/philosophy from game to game (to a certain extent, obviously). This tourney would be (for funsies) a cool way to reward those who specialize in that. The idea of watching someone have to adjust/adapt over and over not just to their opponents' varying playstyles, but to even have to adjust their own is a really intriguing idea.
Sure, guys like M2K and Mango have already shown chameleon-like qualities in playing 3+ characters, but imagine if you had to play every character on the board at least once before using any of them again. It would bring alot of extra stuff to the outside-of-play mental game, too. For example, trying to pick a time when it's safe to play, say, Kirby. You'd probably want to do it when you're up a game or when your oppenent is likely to have to play one of his/her weaker characters in the next game. When do you bring out one of your better characters? Plus, it'd help those who aren't super top tier players have more exciting/fun to watch games with top tier players. As an example (with no disrespect to anybody) KirbyKaze would probably lose to Mango 9 out 10 times normally with his Sheik vs....let's say Mango Jigglypuff for now. However, if Mango had recently had to use his Falco, Falcon, and Jigglypuff in recent matches, he might have to use Luigi or Young Link in a match against KK's Sheik. KK's Sheik vs. Mango's Y. Link is likely to be a much closer and, thus, more exciting match to watch.

CTL17

Smash Lord
To add on to the secondaries idea, I think it would be cool to have a one-person, three character crew battle, where you choose three characters, and the goal is to get rid of all twelve of your opponent's stocks. (You can add more characters if you want.)

So let's say I choose Dr Mario, Mario, and Luigi. First match I win with Doc with 2 stocks left. Next match I can either choose Mario or Luigi or continue with Doc. When I want to use Doc again, I would only have 2 stocks to work with. It's sorta like a Pokémon battle without switching during a battle, now that I think of it.

GREENTHUMB

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this is a good idea at all.

Just play normally and get RAPEDDDDDDD

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I like the idea, and I only main doc. It's hard for me to change my playstyle, so I wouldn't mind the opportunity to do so. (I mean to try and adapt to another character) ****, this would be fun if this were major and not just side-event. ;p Then I wouldn't have to pay for a SIDE event. ;P

And who says different playstyles are bad? People would expect you to play the same way with the same character, but what if you played differently with the same char?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Character ban instead of a stage? That would ****. no one would ever ban my link.

BEES

Smash Lord
I think it's a style issue... people who like being aggressive will tend to main Falco, and second Fox, and people who... like whatever reason they have for maining Fox, don't use Falco at all. Sorry for not being clearer but I dunno why people main Fox lol
That's easy to answer. If you have to fight Falcos a lot, it's more fun to fight them with Fox than another Falco usually.

Ayatsuri_Rinku

Smash Cadet
this would be awesome at a side tourney :) i'd like to see how alot of the pros would fare loooool

BEES

Smash Lord
I'm up for character ban tournaments. I'm also up for more mid-and-below tier tournaments. There has been somewhat of a lack of those...

they should do a 1v1 team battle tournament. its like crews but instead of a crew its one player and his top 3 characters or w/e

n1000

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of sets where the winner has to switch characters.

also 1v1 crew battles MvC (or pokemon) style

NixxxoN

Smash Master
oh, looks like melee-ists may learn to do something different rather than use their best one and playtowin playtowin playtowin playtowin playtowin playtowin playtowin playtowin playtowin attitud.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
the meleeist cult frowns upon this behavior. shun the nonbeliever! shuuuuuuun
lolwut u sound like a sect leader

the top players in ssb64 often do a 12 characters battle

I hope someday melee players do the same (all chars battle), so we can see more skill and less memorized cheap stuff

omnibus2

Smash Cadet
People should try coin mode for fun, it's not that bad. Might add some new strategies, in case people are getting bored of melee and leaving

Esper

Smash Cadet
I had a weird moneymatch idea some time ago, but had no time to try it out:

Both players pick 6 characters and right them down with numbers from 1-6.

example:
1 - Fox
2 - Falco
3 - CF
4 - Peach
5 - Luigi
6 - Ganon

(the opponent does the same)

then you play Bo7 or something and roll a dice to decide which character you play in each match.
You could also do that with random stageselection for even more random lulz

Of course this is only viable as a fun-event or fun-MM :)

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
lolwut u sound like a sect leader

the top players in ssb64 often do a 12 characters battle

I hope someday melee players do the same (all chars battle), so we can see more skill and less memorized cheap stuff
12 character battles only work in n64 because none of the characters are god-awful. Melee isn't the same :(

Edit: I mean about playing all the characters, I think a character battle with the fun/"viable" characters in melee would be pretty fun.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
12 character battles only work in n64 because none of the characters are god-awful. Melee isn't the same :(

Edit: I mean about playing all the characters, I think a character battle with the fun/"viable" characters in melee would be pretty fun.
well... both players would have the terrible matchups and the terrible chars to use, so no johns.

however melee has so many chars and it would take long. in ssb64 a 12 char battle with 3 stocks each char takes about 45 minutes.

Top Bottom