• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A.I. hacks?

ephoenix6

Smash Rookie
hey, I randomly just thought of this, so I apologize if anyone else has posted about this. Anyway, with all the new melee hacks going on, how difficult would it be to develop A.I. that applies tech skill. They don't have to be super technical, but at least at a basic level (short hopping, L canceling, et cetera). I would appreciate this, because I feel like it could help people improve without finding some noob to practice on, without making them feel like s**t in the process (no one likes to lose). So would anyone here know how to do this? I'm sure it's possible, it's just a matter of how difficult this would be.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
i've dreamed about this before, a M2K AI to actually get some practice in, but I doubt it's workable

from what I understand, all the AI operates on a few extremely basic rules, and if you removed those rules in an attempt to make a better AI, you'd most likely wind up with a Training Mode CPU

LLDL

Smash Hero
the computers evolve naturally on your memory card. The level 7 fox did shiz combo on me :O

ru5514n

Smash Ace
My CPUs can DI better than most of the west coast. Unfortunetaly, they completely suck in almost every other aspect.

However, an AI that is equvalent to lvl 9 CPU in barwl would be nice to practice on in Melee.

Geist

Smash Master
You'd have to be an amazing programmer to make a CPU that is actually good at the game.
It would be awesome, but odds are it isn't happenning.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ive had lvl 4 falco wall tech my edgeguard 4 times in a row and killed me with a dtilt

does anyone know where to change the AI **** and rules etc in.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I've got AI Mewtwos spamming their meteor smashes on me. Totally took one of my older tactics, as well as hitting me with tipped uairs. Too much tail action going on now. ):<

In any case, upped AI in Melee would be really neat. I would seriously like to see them perform more actions rather than just staying idle, and perhaps get into more hardcore mindgames (using one move, but then executing something entirely different).
Of course, can't say this is probable (or even possible), but we never know.

(...Just for the record, Brawl AI aren't THAT much more complex when compared to Melee AI. I've tested it; the only thing they do differently is that they jump WAY too many times, taking advantage of the float. That's about it. I faced off higher levels for a test run a long while back, and they were extremely easy when I figured out that tactic of theirs.)

Ryzol_

Smash Apprentice
Greenville, SC (school) Charlotte, NC(break)
You'd have to be an amazing programmer to make a CPU that is actually good at the game.
It would be awesome, but odds are it isn't happenning.
You would because you'd have to somehow hack the code into the game without having access to the source code. But, making a halfway decent AI that plays a little like a human wouldn't be too hard. Give it 3-4 options for common situations and have it randomly choose one, but weight the options so better options come out more often. This AI wouldn't be winning tournaments, but it would be better to play against.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Computers. Don't. Learn.
End of story. Any "epic combo" they did on you is a coincidence, it is not in their programming to learn.

On topic: Having competent comps would be awesome, I don't really have anyone else to play against...

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
lol computers don't.....learn you say. I had a computer crouch taunt me in brawl after I died, then another CPU ledge guarded me which looked like a intentional move. This happened countless amount of times. [I don't play brawl anymore since I picked up a melee] I highly doubt you can make a better A.I in melee to much HEX coding, anything removed from the code can completely **** up the A.I

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty curious to know exactly how they programmed the AI. The particular rules it follows. How much of what it does is decided randomly, or none of it at all.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
lol computers don't.....learn you say. I had a computer crouch taunt me in brawl after I died, then another CPU ledge guarded me which looked like a intentional move. This happened countless amount of times. [I don't play brawl anymore since I picked up a melee] I highly doubt you can make a better A.I in melee to much HEX coding, anything removed from the code can completely **** up the A.I
Coincidence. Both games have been hacked and no traces of computers learning are present.

Jonas

Smash Champion
So you've seen a CPU player do random inputs that you recognized as stuff players do? Amazing! :)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Coincidence. Cpus dont do anything while you are off the stage for the most part. every now and again they might try a dair depending on the character but when you are recoverying they stand by the edge and do not move from that spot until you land back on a part of the stage.

a cpu roll up was them grabbing the ledge because they may have jumped out and had to recover, they simply rolled up or something, they would have done that normally.

when you are off stage they do not have an opponent and react the same as if you were on the same team with no opponents, ie master hand glitch both same team.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Look at that **** TOO ****ING GOOD. Melee computers don't even attempt to do that **** to me. They even learned how to shield grab before I discovered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayj1PQxwxrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVUc9p26C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP2P8-iwzWA

I remember one time I was playing brawl, and my bro wanted to play so I went to go do something else. He was playing against a level 9 CPU and he was like WTF why the CPUs are so hard all of a sudden. I mean like for real Peach will be extremely low on the ground floating spamming aerials at me. That was a long time ago and she still continues to do it. The only thing I like about brawl is the A.I cause there smarter. In any case I still perfer Melee and 64 over brawl any day.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Look at that **** TOO ****ING GOOD. Melee computers don't even attempt to do that **** to me. They even learned how to shield grab before I discovered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayj1PQxwxrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVUc9p26C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP2P8-iwzWA

I remember one time I was playing brawl, and my bro wanted to play so I went to go do something else. He was playing against a level 9 CPU and he was like WTF why the CPUs are so hard all of a sudden. I mean like for real Peach will be extremely low on the ground floating spamming aerials at me. That was a long time ago and she still continues to do it. The only thing I like about brawl is the A.I cause there smarter. In any case I still perfer Melee and 64 over brawl any day.
Melee computers are programmed to shield grab, it is the most logical thing to do when put in that situation, so the computers do it.

Those videos show nothing but normal AI behaviour, just because they pulled off a good combo, doesn't mean it was intentional or they were taught that.

Peach frequently does that. I have never float-cancelled with Peach, and my CPU does that, so it must be in the programming.

BEES

Smash Lord
The more technical I play, the better the cpu plays. However I can just spam fsmash and kill level 9s. I don't understand how this is possible.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I know a few of the basic rules that govern lvl 9 cpus in melee

1. have to attempt to shield any incoming projectile
2. have to facing the opponent (pretty sure it's the closest opponent in terms of teams)
3. have to be moving towards opponent (exceptions for respawns/being offstage)
4. have to recover towards the middle of the stage, no horizontal angles
5. have to attempt to grab all shields

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I know a few of the basic rules that govern lvl 9 cpus in melee

1. have to attempt to shield any incoming projectile
2. have to facing the opponent (pretty sure it's the closest opponent in terms of teams)
3. have to be moving towards opponent (exceptions for respawns/being offstage)
4. have to recover towards the middle of the stage, no horizontal angles
5. have to attempt to grab all shields
4 is not always true. Sometimes a CPU Fox/Falco will end up kind of underneath the stage, and the will recover diagonally upwards, but away from the stage.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
You're right. I've not done any research, and almost all of the aforementioned rules are subject to exceptions, but that's what I've observed.

Top Bottom