• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Competitive Jigglypuff Guide For Smashboards

Glick

Smash Lord
Is anybody noticing that pound breaks through EVERYTHING. What's this no approach BS. Jigglypuff has great approaches just meh range.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Um agaist toon link when you see a bomb,boomarang,or arrow there is probably gonna be more coming.Watch out for Bair and Uair and U smash.Like sasuke said stay close becuase if you go to far he will try to spam projectails.When they through a bomb i the air they will propbably try to trick you with mind games.One more thing beware of Zair because they will probably use a smash right after it.
Hope I helped

Veril

Frame Savant
More diddy-kong stuff:

I was playing a diddy last night and literally every stock, at least once, if I was hit with his f-smash when I was grounded I just SDI'd away, perfect-shielded and shield-grabbed.

This ^ is good. This ^ is very easy to do.

I am adding that to my thread even though it has nothing to do with rest.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
More diddy-kong stuff:

I was playing a diddy last night and literally every stock, at least once, if I was hit with his f-smash when I was grounded I just SDI'd away, perfect-shielded and shield-grabbed.

This ^ is good. This ^ is very easy to do.

I am adding that to my thread even though it has nothing to do with rest.
Nice, thats great. And I pimped my Jigglypuff, like it?

And thanks for the Toon Link info chaos.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Thanks Illinialex.
watch out for a jab,jab,jab,B^ from Tl.its not a very common move so they will try to trick you with it.I sudjest to DI away from it the second you see the jabs because with the B^ you you could take 18% and if you are at low percentages they could follow it up with a combo.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Thanks Illinialex.
watch out for a jab,jab,jab,B^ from Tl.its not a very common move so they will try to trick you with it.I sudjest to DI away from it the second you see the jabs because with the B^ you you could take 18% and if you are at low percentages they could follow it up with a combo.
Ok cool. Got that. And we should full hop immediately in this matchup or shield jump.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Yeah.Just because it isnt used much it doesnt mean it is good so full hop or sheild jump away from it

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Oh yeah.
One thing to say about TL
WE HATE Luigi's Mansion.
You should avoid low ceiling stages.
I think Corneria is a good TL stage.
Basically you could look at which stages are good for TL's vertical killing- have low ceilings.

I get the impression that telling you about TL's gameplay would help. Or are you familiar with TL's techniques...? I don't know.
Close up moves are mostly zair, nair and bair I think. U tilt wouldn't work that well against Jiggs.
We follow up zair with grab, nair, or bomb. If bomb, we follow up with aerial or U smash (sometimes)
We can also use quickdraw arrow after nair, fair, bair, bomb pull, bomb throw, arrow.
Oh! We also have the reverse JC throw, in which we run away, and then suddenly turn around throwing a bomb at you.

I think SHDA sucks against Jiggs because she's too small.
I don't play good Jiggs (or good anybodies for that matter) so I don't know much.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Oh yeah.
One thing to say about TL
WE HATE Luigi's Mansion.
You should avoid low ceiling stages.
I think Corneria is a good TL stage.
Basically you could look at which stages are good for TL's vertical killing- have low ceilings.

I think SHDA sucks against Jiggs because she's too small.
I don't play good Jiggs (or good anybodies for that matter) so I don't know much.
Yeah, I think the two best CP's here are Jungle Japes (best) and then Luigi's Mansion.

Those should **** a Toon Link, especially with the u-throw jab lock if it isn't teched.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Also go to castle seige never go to rainbow cruise,Pirate ship,and espicaily corenia when your verse TL.
Once again dont go to corenia it is bad for jiggz but good for Tl.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
How do you find the URL for a post within a topic like you did in the code?
Also go to castle seige never go to rainbow cruise,Pirate ship,and espicaily corenia when your verse TL.
Pirate ship = Survives dair
Castle siege = annoying statues
Rainbow Cruise = annoying with projectiles (Low ceiling? ?)
Corneria = I knew I was right

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah that should be pretty good. But I only put in two CP's because you can only ban 1. So ban Corneria, and CP Japes and Mansion.

Edit:

And TLMarth. Quote the thing, find the post number, and swap both numbers you would normally see that are identical with those numbers.

Like the first post here is number:

For the first one, you just have:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199581

Thats which thread it is.

This is post number now, for 2nd post:

So, we have:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5579889#post5579889

Now for the first post again, it can also be done in post number, ie, this is its post number:

So it has:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5579884#post5579884

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
How do you find the URL for a post within a topic like you did in the code?

Pirate ship = Survives dair
Castle siege = annoying statues
Rainbow Cruise = annoying with projectiles (Low ceiling? ?)
Corneria = I knew I was right
Yes you were right

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Also I recommend that you put the names of the characters in the character match up area, so that you can use ctrl+f

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
I've been kinda experimenting with grab release combos for lil' while, and I've come up with one that's... well, possibly useless, but tricky, and it's just another surprise option for Jiggz. It's pretty simple, and only works on certain characters: Grab release -> Forward Roll -> Rest.

I say that it's possibly useless because it will only work if your opponent just chills after the grab release, or charges up an Fsmash or something. Basically, it's VERY VERY escapeable... Not a true combo in the slightest, just a set-up.

And without further ado, here are the characters it works on, should they choose to have a ****** moment:

Donkey Kong
Kirby
Pikachu
Mr. Game and Watch
Metaknight
Charizard
Squirtle
Ike
Ice Climbers (Note:...There are two of them =P. It'll only work once Nana's dead)
King Dedede
Bowser
Captain Falcon

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I've been kinda experimenting with grab release combos for lil' while, and I've come up with one that's... well, possibly useless, but tricky, and it's just another surprise option for Jiggz. It's pretty simple, and only works on certain characters: Grab release -> Forward Roll -> Rest.

I say that it's possibly useless because it will only work if your opponent just chills after the grab release, or charges up an Fsmash or something. Basically, it's VERY VERY escapeable... Not a true combo in the slightest, just a set-up.

And without further ado, here are the characters it works on, should they choose to have a ****** moment:

Donkey Kong
Kirby
Pikachu
Mr. Game and Watch
Metaknight
Charizard
Squirtle
Ike
Ice Climbers (Note:...There are two of them =P. It'll only work once Nana's dead)
King Dedede
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Glick beat you to it. He posted this a while back but it never became all that popular because although it is pretty cool, it never works on an opponent more than once.

Veril

Frame Savant
"Finally, I am working on testing moves that are interruptible with rest. If someone could help me with those, that would be great."

'coughs'

MrEh

Smash Hero
Yeah, although I do believe we have a guaranteed grab release to rest on Wario.
Every time someone mentions a grab release, I just have to test it. Me testing grab releases is like Veril testing Rest counters. XD

But really, I know this works, even without testing. I do it on my brother's Wario occasionally. The only problem is that Wario is really hard to grab, even with Jigg's long grab range. And of course, here's the math to back it up, since people always seem to argue about grab releases.

Okay, Jiggs has 30 frames of grab immobility, and Wario has 50 when released. In short, they have the same release time as every other character. Nothing special, so let's do some easy math...

50 frames of immobility - 30 frames of immobility = 20 frames of Wario immobility

Sadly, I don't think anyone has tested the frame data for Jigg's jump. However, I know that she doesn't jump as slow as Bowser (9 frames), nor does she jump as fast as Shiek. (5 frames) So let's just say that she has a 7 frame jump, not that it really matters anyway. I think she could've had a 10 frame jump and you could still pull of the Rest easily. :p

20 frames of immobility - 9 frames of jump startup = 11 frames of Wario immobility

Now, you can't pull off the Rest immidiately after a jump, since it the hitbox won't reach Wario. If you manage to jump at the first possible frame, you should be able to get directly underneath Wario before pulling using Rest. That way, when you use Rest, Wario should just fall right into the hitbox. The time it takes Jiggs to short hop that distance is about 3 or 4 frames, so....

11 frames of immobility - 3 or 4 frames of travel time = 7 or 8 frames of Wario immobility

And of course, because Rest comes out on frame 1 because it's so awesome. So after subtracting that...

7 or 8 frames of immobility - 1 frame startup = 6 or 7 frames to hit Wario

Firemario149 and Ref deserve credit once again for the frame info.

So yeah, it works. 6 or 7 frames is a big window for a grab release. Nothing compared to the amount of time Bowser has, but that's still a sizable amount. The timing isn't too difficult as long as you jump as soon as possible. Just practice, and you'll get it down in like 5 minutes. Enjoy. :p

Veril

Frame Savant
Every time someone mentions a grab release, I just have to test it. Me testing grab releases is like Veril testing Rest counters. XD
:laugh:

Awesome.

I'm gonna try this grab-release thingy out.

Hey, that was posted a while ago. I'll update that once I add it to the guide with a major credit to you...
I just saw the "updated 12/21" and was confused.

PND

Smash Champion
Dacus works as well. It might not be inescapable, though. I pull it off on scrubby Warios (the ones I can grab, lol,) but I'm not sure if they CAN escape it or not, they just don't. It's a better early % option that rest as it doesn't leave you vulnerable.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'm gonna try this grab-release thingy out.
Once you start using grab releases, you can never go back! BWAHAAAHHA!!!

I think I might actually make a list of all the usable grab releases that Jiggs can utilize. I made one for Bowser months ago, so this should be a lot quicker, since Jiggs can't use ground releases. :p

*cracks knuckles*

It's testing time!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Once you start using grab releases, you can never go back! BWAHAAAHHA!!!

I think I might actually make a list of all the usable grab releases that Jiggs can utilize. I made one for Bowser months ago, so this should be a lot quicker, since Jiggs can't use ground releases. :p

*cracks knuckles*

It's testing time!
That would be so useful. Great addition for my guide :) And that would get you into the JBR whether or not you use Jigglypuff.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
While it's still on my mind I'm gonna talk about Jigglypuff vs. Toon Link some.

I don't get to many fights where I'm Jiggs vs. Toon Link, or even the other way around -- but I'll see what I can think of.

Bombs are deadly. Jiggs gets knocked up in the air pretty high, and the hitstun can kind of lead up to an attack if you don't airdodge quick enough.

Jiggs is light so our upsmash can obviously take you out in low percents. Same with F-smash, but Jigglypuff is pretty small so this can work both good and bad for Jiggs.

Umm, I hate pound. It cancels our boomerang, cancels our arrows, and has an amazing hitbox, and stays out for an amazingly long amount of time. Everytime I'm up against a TL with Jiggs I use airpounding many times, it's an amazing move.

Not sure how drillresting works btw, but I don't get hit by it often. Toon Link is pretty small, so good aim with it is better for you.

Our zair doesn't work so well on Jiggs, so that's not much to worry about.

Back-air is deadly against Toon Link if he's not keeping his distance.

Honestly it's a confusing match up TL Vs. Jiggs. I might just give it a 50-50 myself. Possibly even more to Jigglypuffs advantage.

Not much else to say.

..Also, might want to read Sasukes post too if nobody has. He's had to fight my Jiggs lots... so it'll definetly be worth more than this, and it'll give you a better chance at a tourney.

/end rant.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
I forgot watch out for toon links nair to arrow.Also when you fall to the ground expect a grab from toon link.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Same with F-smash, but Jigglypuff is pretty small so this can work both good and bad for Jiggs.
I believe you haven't seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1JDfKvOerA

While it's still on my mind I'm gonna talk about Jigglypuff vs. Toon Link some.

I don't get to many fights where I'm Jiggs vs. Toon Link, or even the other way around -- but I'll see what I can think of.

Bombs are deadly. Jiggs gets knocked up in the air pretty high, and the hitstun can kind of lead up to an attack if you don't airdodge quick enough.

Jiggs is light so our upsmash can obviously take you out in low percents. Same with F-smash, but Jigglypuff is pretty small so this can work both good and bad for Jiggs.

Umm, I hate pound. It cancels our boomerang, cancels our arrows, and has an amazing hitbox, and stays out for an amazingly long amount of time. Everytime I'm up against a TL with Jiggs I use airpounding many times, it's an amazing move.

Not sure how drillresting works btw, but I don't get hit by it often. Toon Link is pretty small, so good aim with it is better for you.

Our zair doesn't work so well on Jiggs, so that's not much to worry about.

Back-air is deadly against Toon Link if he's not keeping his distance.

Honestly it's a confusing match up TL Vs. Jiggs. I might just give it a 50-50 myself. Possibly even more to Jigglypuffs advantage.

Not much else to say.

..Also, might want to read Sasukes post too if nobody has. He's had to fight my Jiggs lots... so it'll definetly be worth more than this, and it'll give you a better chance at a tourney.

/end rant.
Yeah, and both have good CP's, but its really what neutral you get.
A final destination can kill a Jigglypuff because of the insane camping, but a Smashville or Yoshi's Island is awesome. And Jungle Japes if not banned is just amazing. But Corneria....... U-smash has to kill mid teens.......

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
TL is ****ing annoying to play against.

How to beat TL: Switch to MK --> Hit B

lol, there's nothing they can do if you're smart about it. Basically, if they're holding a bomb don't do it until they throw it because it'll beat you, but if they aren't holding a bomb, tornado because even if they pull one out in time, it doesn't blow up in their hands when you hit them, lol.

SuSa

Banned via Administration

But really, I know this works, even without testing. I do it on my brother's Wario occasionally. The only problem is that Wario is really hard to grab, even with Jigg's long grab range. And of course, here's the math to back it up, since people always seem to argue about grab releases.

Okay, Jiggs has 30 frames of grab immobility, and Wario has 50 when released. In short, they have the same release time as every other character. Nothing special, so let's do some easy math...

50 frames of immobility - 30 frames of immobility = 20 frames of Wario immobility

Sadly, I don't think anyone has tested the frame data for Jigg's jump. However, I know that she doesn't jump as slow as Bowser (9 frames), nor does she jump as fast as Shiek. (5 frames) So let's just say that she has a 7 frame jump, not that it really matters anyway. I think she could've had a 10 frame jump and you could still pull of the Rest easily. :p

20 frames of immobility - 9 frames of jump startup = 11 frames of Wario immobility

Now, you can't pull off the Rest immidiately after a jump, since it the hitbox won't reach Wario. If you manage to jump at the first possible frame, you should be able to get directly underneath Wario before pulling using Rest. That way, when you use Rest, Wario should just fall right into the hitbox. The time it takes Jiggs to short hop that distance is about 3 or 4 frames, so....

11 frames of immobility - 3 or 4 frames of travel time = 7 or 8 frames of Wario immobility

And of course, because Rest comes out on frame 1 because it's so awesome. So after subtracting that...

7 or 8 frames of immobility - 1 frame startup = 6 or 7 frames to hit Wario

Firemario149 and Ref deserve credit once again for the frame info.

So yeah, it works. 6 or 7 frames is a big window for a grab release. Nothing compared to the amount of time Bowser has, but that's still a sizable amount. The timing isn't too difficult as long as you jump as soon as possible. Just practice, and you'll get it down in like 5 minutes. Enjoy. :p

That's if the Wario tries to escape, and henceforth gets Air Released.
I was only able to Grab Release > Rest; Wario when he was a CPU set to "Attack".
When he was on "control" he never air released, just ground releases.

Just thought I'd mention that.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
That's if the Wario tries to escape, and henceforth gets Air Released.
I was only able to Grab Release > Rest; Wario when he was a CPU set to "Attack".
When he was on "control" he never air released, just ground releases.

Just thought I'd mention that.
If you don't press anything and he's past like 25%, he should air release every time. Its kinda weird though, but it takes a while where if you don't press anything to air release. And you can pound like twice at around 100% and they still don't press anything and you get an air-release, which can be useful if Snake had an air release to rest (which he doesn't.....). But yeah, I see your point.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Fsmash doesn't work at any reasonable precent. Even without resting into it, Jigglypuff is so light that she floats out of the second hit at like 0%.

EDIT: I just tested it on training mode. The sceond hit WILL NEVER CONNECT. If you do the second hit quickly, she will be above your range. If you delay the hit, she will just jump out. Fsmash's second hit shouldn't EVER connect.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Fsmash doesn't work at any reasonable precent. Even without resting into it, Jigglypuff is so light that she floats out of the second hit at like 0%.

EDIT: I just tested it on training mode. The sceond hit WILL NEVER CONNECT. If you do the second hit quickly, she will be above your range. If you delay the hit, she will just jump out. Fsmash's second hit shouldn't EVER connect.
As long as she jumps, she can get out of the second hit yes.

Top Bottom