• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Competitive Jigglypuff Guide For Smashboards

Amide

Smash Lord
Some matchup changes I would recommend:

Change Kirby to 40:60

I know, small difference. But to win this battle just on having a better air game is pretty false. You only have a slightly better air game, and Kirby has better strength, slightly better weight and is less floaty. Jigglypuff's game focuses on juggling and comboing. It's hard to do this to Kirby.

Chang Pika to 40:60

This is a winnable matchup, but it's hard to really judge it unless you have played a Pika who can QAC effectively. Pika's ground game is great, and it forces Puff to approach. Pika can kill Puff off the top with thunder at low %s. Winnable but REALLY hard.

Change Samus to 55:45

OK, I know someone just gave you some reasoning for this, but IMO, this is one of Puff's best matchups. Bair absolutely destroy samus, and once Puff is in Samus's face, Samus has trouble getting her out. Samus's great camping game is a lot worse against puff, and Samus has trouble killing. This would be even better if Zair wasn't so sexy.

Add Rainbow Cruise to counter picks for Olimar.

P.S. This is teh best guide EVER.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Chang Pika to 40:60

This is a winnable matchup, but it's hard to really judge it unless you have played a Pika who can QAC effectively. Pika's ground game is great, and it forces Puff to approach. Pika can kill Puff off the top with thunder at low %s. Winnable but REALLY hard.
I might do the Samus stuff but for Pikachu. I play Pikachu's that knw how to QAC well, theres one awesome trick. Rollout ***** it. So does bair. Trick is timing it. Rollout is gennerally worthless but a half charged one into a QAC really hurts Pikachu.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
yeh but thunder at the edge can kill u at like 40
and since i main pika as well im pretty sure i would just rollout grab u or down smash but i guess thats just cuz i main puff as well

Amide

Smash Lord
I think that he was agreeing with a point I had about Pika that you didn't rebuttal.

@ Serris

Maybe. I haven't played Brawl Puff in a while, but if you want to play my Snake sometime, I'm cool. =D

ComboBaker

Smash Cadet
i have to disagree with your statement that jiggs's foward throw is useless. It is, in my opinion, the best throw she has ( well i guess besides her back throw). I helps me out a lot and i wouldn't trash it quite yet

illinialex24

Smash Hero
i have to disagree with your statement that jiggs's foward throw is useless. It is, in my opinion, the best throw she has ( well i guess besides her back throw). I helps me out a lot and i wouldn't trash it quite yet
Trust me on this, it is. On a good opponent they will DI up so it does almost nothing and so its like a measly 10% with no follow up. They can punish you from it better than you can them so: don't use it.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Thanks for the awesome thread! It's really helpful for a new Jigglypuff. One of my freinds mains toon link, so I'll see if I can get some info on the matchup for this thread. Might be able to help out with sheik too, depending.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Final Destination:
Great stage because it is a long flat stage which is perfect for Jigglypuff. Not ideal if you are facing projectile spammers (Pit, Toon Link, Falco, Link) that essentially kill your approach (Fox is excluded because his blaster does no knockback or hitstun). However, the flat field is ideal for gimping and off-stage WoP's as well as her overall WoP because there is no fight for position on platforms that seriously hurts Jigglypuff. It is really easy to get strong stage spikes here, so use them well, especially on characters like Ness or Falco if they get caught under the stage.

Good Against: Bowser, Captain Falcon, Charizard, Donkey Kong, Mr. Game and Watch, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Ike, Ivysaur, Kirby, Link, Lucas, Luigi, Marth, Metaknight, Ness, Peach, Snake, Sonic, Squirtle, Wario, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus
Neutral Against: Diddy Kong, Falco, Fox, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, Lucario, Mario, Olimar, Pikachu, Pit, R.O.B., Samus, Sheik, Toon Link, Wolf, Yoshi
Bad Against: None
Best Counterpick Against: Bowser, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Mr. Game and Watch, Ganondorf, Kirby, Marth, Metaknight, Ness, Sonic, Wario
How could you. Sonic has such a great match on FD, it's just run galore and rolls and ASC and what not. Either Neutral for Sonic, or bad against.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
How could you. Sonic has such a great match on FD, it's just run galore and rolls and ASC and what not. Either Neutral for Sonic, or bad against.
FD is one of Jigglypuff's best stages for many reasons. It still helps against him here in my opinion even if he can run wild. Although I'm thinking Yoshi's Island might be better.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I'm actually gonna try to play Jigglypuff. I started today. I liked it. And his ground game does not suck, F-smash is too much of a fool-punisher. But yea, FD still no good for Jigg : Sonic. Really, you're better off on Frigate Orpheon

Also, Rainbow Cruise on Olimar, it's just even worse than FO

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
YI isn't too good of a Sonic CP either... in fact, we can get iSDR (invincible SpinDash Roll) thanks to the slanted edges.

Go ahead and take Sonic to any Neutral you're comfortable with, he excels on all of them so it doesn't really matter.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'm actually gonna try to play Jigglypuff. I started today. I liked it. And his ground game does not suck, F-smash is too much of a fool-punisher. But yea, FD still no good for Jigg : Sonic. Really, you're better off on Frigate Orpheon

Also, Rainbow Cruise on Olimar, it's just even worse than FO
No, Frigate really kills him. The issue is that Rainbow has too many platforms so he can still get up a fair amount and its harder to gimp. I really like Frigate.

YI isn't too good of a Sonic CP either... in fact, we can get iSDR (invincible SpinDash Roll) thanks to the slanted edges.

Go ahead and take Sonic to any Neutral you're comfortable with, he excels on all of them so it doesn't really matter.
Yeah he has better CP's but FD is fairly good for her although Frigate sounds decent. I'm updating the guide this weekend so it should be epic soon.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Great work Illinalex. Consider writing a Jigglypuff faq on gamefaqs, the one they currently have is a joke unless they updated it.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Great work Illinalex. Consider writing a Jigglypuff faq on gamefaqs, the one they currently have is a joke unless they updated it.
Lol my dad actually blocked Game***s on my computer because he thought it could give you viruses and since I can't use proxies there I'm essentially blocked out. So when I go to college, which is at the end of this year, sure.

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
I don't know if this help you guys alot, but when i get the smashball i usally go under the stage and use the final smash. It's really effective on small stages (almost undodge able)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I don't know if this help you guys alot, but when i get the smashball i usally go under the stage and use the final smash. It's really effective on small stages (almost undodge able)
Smashballs aren't really used in competitive play, the only reason the Smashball was put in there is because 1 or 2 tournaments a year (legit ones, like Evo), use items, but the rest don't. And her Final Smash can be avoided by just about anyone except I think on like Castle Siege.

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
Smashballs aren't really used in competitive play, the only reason the Smashball was put in there is because 1 or 2 tournaments a year (legit ones, like Evo), use items, but the rest don't. And her Final Smash can be avoided by just about anyone except I think on like Castle Siege.
Still :p it's better to go under the stage and use the smash ball when there is items on than standing over the stage and use it ^^

Personaly i play without items, but i'm often playing noobs who have items on. i'm just saying that it's alot more usefull if you use it under the stage :) not saying you have to do it, but i've never missed with it before :O

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
If I collect data on aerials that connect after a footstool (grounded and aerial, facing and behind, so four variants), would you mind adding it Alex? Or would you rather I made a seperate topic, since it's going to be a wall of text.

TP

Smash Master
Hi, Ganon main here. This is a very well made guide, I must say. Jolly good stuff you got here. Your description of the matchup between Jigglypuff and Ganon was nice, but the video of the matchup made me die inside. I will gladly fight someone on Wifi (if you consider wifi vids worth posting) to have a more reasonable video up there. For Ganon, 1 Dsmash = 1 more than should ever be used.

Glick

Smash Lord
I disagree with some (most) of those matchup descriptions. I can give you new ones for some of them, but take them with a grain of salt because I have a strange style.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hi, Ganon main here. This is a very well made guide, I must say. Jolly good stuff you got here. Your description of the matchup between Jigglypuff and Ganon was nice, but the video of the matchup made me die inside. I will gladly fight someone on Wifi (if you consider wifi vids worth posting) to have a more reasonable video up there. For Ganon, 1 Dsmash = 1 more than should ever be used.
A lot of the videos are old so I might have to fix those up a lot... I'm gonna be renovating the guide a bit this weekend. And Glick, you have a strange style but if we could alter our styles well, a lot of bad matchups might be able to be fixed so fire.

Top Bottom