• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Case Against Hyrule

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
samus, mario, yoshi, dk, kirby, and falcon(?) all get a boost from dl compared to hyrule

jiggly, luigi, link, and fox drop with hyrule being gone

fox doesn't suck on dreamland either :colorful:

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
samus, mario, yoshi, dk, kirby, and falcon(?) all get a boost from dl compared to hyrule

jiggly, luigi, link, and fox drop with hyrule being gone

fox doesn't suck on dreamland either :colorful:
Not true for Jigga SORRY BOOM

And Luigi can use unpunishable Super Jump Punch on DL if he lands on middle platform so he's actually better there pwn

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
The devs made it so that jiggs rest lasts JUST long enough so you cant touch her upon respawning 90% of the time

Also on Hyrule her rests require more % to kill unless youre on either edge of the stage

You b00bs

kys

Smash Ace
Fox is still amazing on dreamland. We've got a bunch of salty Fox players who still complain even with the overpowered jab, dtilt, uair, aerial priority, speed and double laser? And here I thought Obama supporters had a sense of entitlement.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Fox is still amazing on dreamland. We've got a bunch of salty Fox players who still complain even with the overpowered jab, dtilt, uair, aerial priority, speed and double laser? And here I thought Obama supporters had a sense of entitlement.

Does anyone even qualify as a "Fox player" anymore?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I mean, who specifically qualifies as a "Fox player" who is "salty" about Hyrule being banned? Sheer?

Between that and Han Solo saying that he is giving up Fox I'm legitimately curious who Kys is talking about. Who do we have left that is a Fox player?

Sorry for bad phrasing, 3AM and ****

The Star King

Smash Hero
ok you said "who qualifies as a Fox player", not "Fox player who is salty about Hyrule". I failed to infer that which I guess I should have, my bad

but yeah we're probably talking mostly about Han Solo lol

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Hyrule being banned makes me want to main Fox more than ever. If my Fox is on point I'll be going a lot of Fox in tourney at Apex.

Don't get confused mother ****ers, hyrule being banned is still ********. Fox is just more fun on dreamland.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Last night I had a dream in which I had a discussion with some girl about the banning of Hyrule. It went something like this:

"What would anyone stand to gain by playing on Dreamland since it's the most balanced stage? I don't get it," she said.

"Certain characters suffer greatly by being restricted to Dreamland, whereas others benefit. For instance, Captain Falcon gets a boost from playing on Dreamland, whereas Link and Jigglypuff suffer greatly. So surely a Captain Falcon main could benefit from the banning on Hyrule."
My scumbag brain manages to dream about a stupid rule for a tournament I very well might not attend. I think I made a good point in the dream, but the dream is obviously unrealistic, since most smashers know the game has an unfortunate side effect of being a tit repellent. I should probably get out more.

kys

Smash Ace
Sooo could someone tell me what Jiggs loses by Hyrule being banned? She dies on Hyrule at low percents too.

The platforms on DL seem to help her out, especially using the top to air camp.

I always get frustrated chasing people on Hyrule with Jiggs. Guerrilla warfare seems to work pretty well on the ball of puff. And her camping abilities and **** tent combos don't seem as good as the rest of the cast.

Not that it really matters a whole lot, I'm just curious. Maybe I'm STUPID but after Fox ***** me on Hyrule I would totally counterpick him to DL.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Sooo could someone tell me what Jiggs loses by Hyrule being banned? She dies on Hyrule at low percents too.

The platforms on DL seem to help her out, especially using the top to air camp.

I always get frustrated chasing people on Hyrule with Jiggs. Guerrilla warfare seems to work pretty well on the ball of puff. And her camping abilities and **** tent combos don't seem as good as the rest of the cast.

Not that it really matters a whole lot, I'm just curious. Maybe I'm STUPID but after Fox ***** me on Hyrule I would totally counterpick him to DL.

I consider myself to be an above-average Puff player, though I'm by no means the best on this forum. Here are my observations -- I don't expect that all of my sweeping generalities are true, but I think many are.

I think it's harder to win on Dreamland. First, Hyrule allows a lot more room to position Puff into an advantageous position. For one, there are more advantageous positions for Puff on Hyrule. Against many characters Jiggs is in a fairly favorable position either a) perching on the **** pillar with the opponent underneath or b) trapping an opponent (non kirby/pika) on the bottom left side of the stage. On Dreamland there aren't really that many favorable positions for Jiggs. It may just be because I'm noob, but the platforms on Dreamland really get in the way. Your opponent can pretty much camp beneath them and then Puff is left with very few attack vectors (lucky grabs and n-air being the main options). Puff also has a lot less freedom to escape being bobbled on Dreamland. On Hyrule, say if Puff is knocked over the ledge but remains high in the air, she can pound her way to the middle of the stage to escape further attacks. On Dreamland, there are fewer places to hide. The top middle platform is pretty hard to reach. Lastly, it's much harder for Puff to get away with a rest KO on Dreamland. Unless you get a star KO, lucky, or your opponent is noob, there's a good chance that you'll get **** on before Puff wakes up.

EDIT: I also want to mention that regardless of stage, Fox is very difficult to beat with Jigglypuff. Fox may be the only character against whom Jigglypuff is worse on Hyrule compared to Dreamland. Between laser camping, gimping, and just Fox being OP in general, Jigglypuff isn't in for a good time against skilled fox players. Fox can neutralize nearly every Puff attack.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
jiggs vs link is pretty terrible on hyrule, but 60:40ish on DL

fox still beats jiggs on DL imo
True, but I think that's because Link is just even more worse on Dreamland vs. Hyrule. If you were to rate Link's matchups on Hyrule vs. on Dreamland, I think Link would have an easier time on Hyrule against all 11 other characters.

Nevertheless, I should've included Link along with Fox in my previous post -- good catch.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
being gimped is awesome.

I prefer DL for the neutral game for puff, but that safe rest is pretty sweet on hyrule. However a lot of situations in which rest kills can be turned into a longer combo that also kills but is a bit harder, so its not necessarily the biggest factor.

Also, the fact that taking away a stage buffs some characters and nerfs others isn't really an argument for keeping a stage. If we add hyrule back then we are nerfing falcon, now that's not fair at all right? Any stage set will give some characters an advantage over others. Its not like with the Hyrule included set characters were all balanced. And its not like without Hyrule suddenly the balance that did exist is suddenly becoming undone. Some characters get better, some get worse, that's just what happens when rules change, and that's okay.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
>nerfing falcon

so THIS was your motive all along, banning the stage your character was less good on (NOT EVEN SLIGHTLY BAD)

your scheme is impressive

Top Bottom