• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Breath of fresh air - Link Smash Switch speculation thread

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay, so Link somehow has access to sword beams at 0%

That's a fun nod, but I feel like implementing it like that makes it so situational and unlikely that it'll practically never get used.

If it were up to me, I'd probably do something along the lines of FSmash at full charge shoots out a sword beam.

I tried watching to see if bombs explode on impact. I didn't notice if it did but they probably don't. That makes bomb sliding (if you can do it) less good because it doesn't cover your approach the same way.
I think I saw during the 4 player FFA, that when a bomb hits an enemy player, it does a tiny amount of damage and then bounces off.

emefcue

Smash Cadet
I tried watching to see if bombs explode on impact. I didn't notice if it did but they probably don't. That makes bomb sliding (if you can do it) less good because it doesn't cover your approach the same way.
i did not see a bomb explode on impact. we will just have just make it appear as if it does. more button inputs for us .

Okay, so Link somehow has access to sword beams at 0%

That's a fun nod, but I feel like implementing it like that makes it so situational and unlikely that it'll practically never get used.

If it were up to me, I'd probably do something along the lines of FSmash at full charge shoots out a sword beam.
agreed. seems almost useless. if link had a way to heal himself, then maybe. but how long are people at 0 percent in smash bros? not that long. at least its something added. it can't hurt him to have another option.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
i did not see a bomb explode on impact. we will just have just make it appear as if it does. more button inputs for us .
Well the problem with that is that it kind of ruins the point of bomb sliding in the first place. We'll just have to see. I mostly just hope his job has better frame data this time so that it isn't poopy

emefcue

Smash Cadet
Well the problem with that is that it kind of ruins the point of bomb sliding in the first place. We'll just have to see. I mostly just hope his job has better frame data this time so that it isn't poopy
well yeah. i just meant that we can imitate bomb explosions on impact.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Really? That is a really odd color to add...
I believe it matches a color of one of the dyes from BotW. It looks maroon in the video but it's also a phone filming a screen at an angle. It's more likely the crimson dye from the game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it looks like I'll be using default Link this time around.
I'm seriously in love with his BotW design.

Legit, the only thing that could make it better would be to have the option of having the hood as a taunt.

Like, for putting it on, he throws it over his head trying to look sneaky, but when he takes it off, he dramatically whips it off like the very first trailer for BotW.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I am definitely doing green tunic of the wild. It's become one of my favorite tunics from Zelda even though at first I thought it was weird.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am definitely doing green tunic of the wild. It's become one of my favorite tunics from Zelda even though at first I thought it was weird.
My first reaction: "Boy, Link is really liking those short shorts."

Ultimately, the only reason I didn't use it in BotW is that it needed GODDAMN STAR FRAGMENTS TO UPGRADE.
"Oh yeah sure, let me just stare at the sky hoping that I get a star to fall down, make me chase it all the way across the map, and repeat that 30 more times."

godogod

Smash Ace
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it looks like I'll be using default Link this time around.
I'm seriously in love with his BotW design.

Legit, the only thing that could make it better would be to have the option of having the hood as a taunt.

Like, for putting it on, he throws it over his head trying to look sneaky, but when he takes it off, he dramatically whips it off like the very first trailer for BotW.
what would make it perfect is if they made him left handed as he should always be(even though he is right handed in SS and BOTW >_> <_<)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
what would make it perfect is if they made him left handed as he should always be(even though he is right handed in SS and BOTW >_> <_<)
You know what's dumb?
The reasoning for why this Link isn't Left handed.
"Well, his sword controls are done with the right hand so we made him right handed."

excuse me? So what was the last 20 years about? Was I subconciously controlling Link's buttons with my left hand?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know what's dumb?
The reasoning for why this Link isn't Left handed.
"Well, his sword controls are done with the right hand so we made him right handed."

excuse me? So what was the last 20 years about? Was I subconciously controlling Link's buttons with my left hand?
As a lefty, it was nice to have a heroic lefty around. I didn't get SS because I was so salty about that, especially since it was motion controls and the Wii was a terrible console for lefties. Still a bit salty, but I can get over it. Would have been nice if BotW Link was left-handed in the first place since most people play controller there.

But I can deal. I'm happy he got the Wild tunic, and I think I saw Dark and FD recolors of it. Now if YL ends up with a FD Final Smash...

And please give all three Links unique crowd chants this time.

godogod

Smash Ace
While I got a wii at launch, I actually picked up the cube version of TP to play him left handed... Even half the reason I bought a ganondorf amiibo was to play link in left handed mode with the blue hearts on the HD version.
I was bummed with SS Link being a righty, but I played with my left hand and didn't have too much of a difficulty. It is definitely a bummer. I could sort o understand SS, but not BOTW link being a righty.

Culex

Smash Rookie
This rework for Link was much needed. It is really a breath of fresh air. I'm a little sad about the fact, that he has no tether anymore, but the rest of the moveset looks really great! I love his new idle animation. He looks like he's ready for combat!
I can't wait to get my hands onto this game!

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Overall I like the changes, he looks better than ever. However I have to be kind of nitpicky with my main:

1 - I don't know if this is just me, but his face looks a little bit weird compared to the rest of the characters. I hope they polish his model more towards the release of the game.
2 - I was hoping for more costumes and weapons, specially the hylian outfit in different colors as one set, and the ancient sword and shield on another set (how cool would that be).
3 - Since apparently he no longer has his hook, I'd like him to use the paralysis/time stop from the sheikah slate as a grab. Looks like a missed opportunity (I haven't seen the grab yet but I've read its just a regular grab).
4 - I was also hoping this time around we would get different tipes of arrow based on directional imput. For example you pres B and carge the arrow, if you press nothing else you shoot a regular arrow. But if you press B and after you tilt up it could change to a fire arrow. B and side for an ice arrow. B and down for a shock arrow. I don't include bomb arrows because that could be a little bit broken/hard to balance and we already have the better version of those as his final smash. These arrows would add a fire, ice or electricity effect for a second of so, something more visual than affecting the gameplay, but cool nonetheless.
5 - I was expecting some use of the paraglider, given that it is so important in breath of the wild. He could use it after his up B when he is falling and/or after double jumping if you hold the button, but I guess they don't want characters to glide anymore?

Last edited:

Chosen_Hero

Smash Rookie
So these are my opinions thus far. I'm a little worried, because quite frankly, link, to me, looks like he's gotten nerfed. So please, discredit my opinions, so that a long time link main can feel more at ease with the upcoming iteration of link.

1. No tether- this is both good and bad to me. No tether is nice for grabs of course. Not so much for range, but not having that long end lag will be nice. I have only seen back throw, which was the same, but I'm assuming the other throws are similar if not the same as smash 4. However, not having tether recovery is a big nerf. I'll discuss bomb recovery here I guess. I've seen that you can probably use the bomb to recover. But having to do damage to yourself just to get back to stage? Potentially multiple times? Don't get me wrong, I used bombs for recovery plenty of times in smash 4, brawl, etc, but HAVING to use them to get more distance is a bit worrying. Tether recovery was quick and helped prevent a lot of edgeguards. I'm sad to see it go for recovery, but it is nice for actually grabbing people.

2. Fair- Fair's first hit (as far as I've seen) sends opponents nowhere. This, to me, is another big nerf. The first hit of fair was a great tool for killing, spacing, etc. It might be still good for spacing, but having to rely on the second hit of fair for killing now makes it a much worse kill move overall, in my opinion. Especially because the first hit is so strong in smash 4. Moreover, the first hit not producing any knockback now makes fair solely a multi-hit type move. I don't know about you, but multi-hit moves have been extremely unreliable for me in the past two games. Just when you think you're going to get that kill (up smash, forward smash, etc.) the opposing character falls out of the multi-hit. I'm worried the same case will be for fair, because I've already seen it happen for forward smash in the gameplay I've seen.

3. Bombs- Here's my take on the bombs. Being able to detonate them when I like is nice, especially for recovering. However, the combination of not exploding on impact and the animation plays when you detonate it is a huge nerf to me. I guess my thought process is this. If one can't act IMMEDIATELY during/after the detonation animation, it's a nerf. In smash 4, I could place bombs where I like, knowing when they would explode. I wouldn't have to do anything else to them, no extra animations causing lag or anything like that. However, now to explode the bomb, we have that extra animation, and it worries me. Oh, and you can only have one bomb, which means less control of space, which at least in past iterations, is crucial for link.

4. Dair- I hope it doesn't come out later than smash 4, although it looks like it does. It might not, I'm just going on sight. However, it does look like it has MUCH less end lag, which is very nice. I'm assuming it still spikes.

5. Up Special- It looks like it somewhat goes farther to me, and has more range as an attacking move, but I can't really tell very well. However, with the lack of tether recovery, if Link doesn't have any invincibility during recovery, recovering is going to be much harder than previous iterations.

6. Forward Smash- Once again, it looks like the multi hit doesn't link up perfectly. This makes me angry given the past two iterations of smash now have this problem. Probably has affected all smash iterations now. During day one, I saw a link go for a forward smash. First hit landed, second hit looks like it pretty much went through ganondorf. So yay.

7. Boomerang- The change back to a regular boomerang with a hit on the way back is nice, as the wind from the gale boomerang was relatively situational.

8. Arrows- the double arrows is a fine change. I haven't played, so I don't know what situations that may help in.

9. Dash speed- link looks a little faster, which is nice.

10. Design- I love the look of link. Both the champion's tunic and the wild outfit look great. Very pleased with the character design.

The rest of the stuff looks the same, like tilts and nair and such. But overall, it seems like a lot of link's main tools have not been changed for the better. It seems like link has been nerfed, I dare to say, substantially. Of course, this is all subject to change between now and release date in December. I'm sure the team will do tons of balancing things in the next six months, but these are my first impressions. As I said before, please everyone prove me wrong. I have been a link main through every game, and I would love to feel more at ease with the version of link we are getting.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Do we know for a fact he has no tether? This could be good if he gets mobility buffs.

PS
I miss TP Link. Not that BotW's design was bad :/

Last edited:

Chosen_Hero

Smash Rookie
Do we know for a fact he has no tether? This could be good if he gets mobility buffs.
I have yet to see a tether in any gameplay. I know for a fact he doesn't have one for a grab.
I agree with it being good if he gets mobility buffs, and like I said, it looks like he is slightly faster, but there is no data to support that.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
From what I've been hearing mobility in general has been increased. The biggest thing being that everyone in the game has a 3 frame jump squat now

Last edited:

Chosen_Hero

Smash Rookie
Update:

Links down throw seems to have much higher base knockback. Meaning, that it doesn't combo into up tilt/ smash at early percents. Granted, the footage I saw was on a Pikachu, but the Pikachu was only at 11%.

So if that's the case, that seems to be, at least right now, a nerf.

Here's the link to the footage where I saw it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwuyCSJTzCY

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
So these are my opinions thus far. I'm a little worried, because quite frankly, link, to me, looks like he's gotten nerfed. So please, discredit my opinions, so that a long time link main can feel more at ease with the upcoming iteration of link.

1. No tether- this is both good and bad to me. No tether is nice for grabs of course. Not so much for range, but not having that long end lag will be nice. I have only seen back throw, which was the same, but I'm assuming the other throws are similar if not the same as smash 4. However, not having tether recovery is a big nerf. I'll discuss bomb recovery here I guess. I've seen that you can probably use the bomb to recover. But having to do damage to yourself just to get back to stage? Potentially multiple times? Don't get me wrong, I used bombs for recovery plenty of times in smash 4, brawl, etc, but HAVING to use them to get more distance is a bit worrying. Tether recovery was quick and helped prevent a lot of edgeguards. I'm sad to see it go for recovery, but it is nice for actually grabbing people.

2. Fair- Fair's first hit (as far as I've seen) sends opponents nowhere. This, to me, is another big nerf. The first hit of fair was a great tool for killing, spacing, etc. It might be still good for spacing, but having to rely on the second hit of fair for killing now makes it a much worse kill move overall, in my opinion. Especially because the first hit is so strong in smash 4. Moreover, the first hit not producing any knockback now makes fair solely a multi-hit type move. I don't know about you, but multi-hit moves have been extremely unreliable for me in the past two games. Just when you think you're going to get that kill (up smash, forward smash, etc.) the opposing character falls out of the multi-hit. I'm worried the same case will be for fair, because I've already seen it happen for forward smash in the gameplay I've seen.

3. Bombs- Here's my take on the bombs. Being able to detonate them when I like is nice, especially for recovering. However, the combination of not exploding on impact and the animation plays when you detonate it is a huge nerf to me. I guess my thought process is this. If one can't act IMMEDIATELY during/after the detonation animation, it's a nerf. In smash 4, I could place bombs where I like, knowing when they would explode. I wouldn't have to do anything else to them, no extra animations causing lag or anything like that. However, now to explode the bomb, we have that extra animation, and it worries me. Oh, and you can only have one bomb, which means less control of space, which at least in past iterations, is crucial for link.

4. Dair- I hope it doesn't come out later than smash 4, although it looks like it does. It might not, I'm just going on sight. However, it does look like it has MUCH less end lag, which is very nice. I'm assuming it still spikes.

5. Up Special- It looks like it somewhat goes farther to me, and has more range as an attacking move, but I can't really tell very well. However, with the lack of tether recovery, if Link doesn't have any invincibility during recovery, recovering is going to be much harder than previous iterations.

6. Forward Smash- Once again, it looks like the multi hit doesn't link up perfectly. This makes me angry given the past two iterations of smash now have this problem. Probably has affected all smash iterations now. During day one, I saw a link go for a forward smash. First hit landed, second hit looks like it pretty much went through ganondorf. So yay.

7. Boomerang- The change back to a regular boomerang with a hit on the way back is nice, as the wind from the gale boomerang was relatively situational.

8. Arrows- the double arrows is a fine change. I haven't played, so I don't know what situations that may help in.

9. Dash speed- link looks a little faster, which is nice.

10. Design- I love the look of link. Both the champion's tunic and the wild outfit look great. Very pleased with the character design.

The rest of the stuff looks the same, like tilts and nair and such. But overall, it seems like a lot of link's main tools have not been changed for the better. It seems like link has been nerfed, I dare to say, substantially. Of course, this is all subject to change between now and release date in December. I'm sure the team will do tons of balancing things in the next six months, but these are my first impressions. As I said before, please everyone prove me wrong. I have been a link main through every game, and I would love to feel more at ease with the version of link we are getting.
That's...depressing to hear. I mean, I play casual so it won't affect me much, but still, sucks to hear my main is getting nerfed. :(

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
BOTW Link gameplay wise is kinda looking like Snake but with a sword

Remote Bombs look really good and extremely versatile and cover quite a bit of ground and have high knockback from what I've seen in the Invitational.
I was thinking same thing

D

Deleted member

Loving the new champion's outfit. Plus the remote bombs. Link looks great. Can't wait to play.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Since the bombs are remote activated, you can't pull them out early during a recovery and have them detonate during your Up B. But you can pull them out, Z-drop them, and then detonate for a Snake style recovery. Whatever the case, Link can still hurt himself for better recovery and that's just dandy.

Fortress

Smash Master
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but, can Hylian Shield block non-projectiles now, or does Phantom Slash just count as one..? The phantom just straight-up tags his shield on the first strike.

Since the bombs are remote activated, you can't pull them out early during a recovery and have them detonate during your Up B. But you can pull them out, Z-drop them, and then detonate for a Snake style recovery. Whatever the case, Link can still hurt himself for better recovery and that's just dandy.
Also yes, Link's recovery theory will most-likely be something like this: Bomb (out of hitstun) > Air Dodge (up-forward) >Throw Bomb (up) > Double Jump + Detonate > uSpecial

I've been looking around for footage of anybody tagging a bomb with an attack to see if they can be popped like in the other games, but can't find anything. If we can destroy bombs with attacks we're going to get Air Dodge > Double Jump (up toss) > uSpecial > Double Jump (bomb pull/toss) > uSpecial shenanigans.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I'm very curious about the matchup against Snake now with the new SSBU mechanics and Link's tweaked items. It was practically one-sided against Link in Brawl, but it might be different this time around...

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but, can Hylian Shield block non-projectiles now, or does Phantom Slash just count as one..? The phantom just straight-up tags his shield on the first strike.

You could reflect and pocket Phantom Slash in 4 and I assume you still can in Ultimate. So yes, that's a projectile.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I'm very curious about the matchup against Snake now with the new SSBU mechanics and Link's tweaked items. It was practically one-sided against Link in Brawl, but it might be different this time around...
They're gameplay seems to be the same in this game. Plant C4/Bomb, play camping with Grenades/Nikita/Boomerang/Arrows, one approaches, detonate C4/Bomb to reset to neutral, rinse and repeat. In theory, it sounds like an even matchup.

Top Bottom