• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Breath of fresh air - Link Smash Switch speculation thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't really think BotW Link is gonna be too much different from the other Adult Links who where playable in the other Smash games honestly. He'll still use his Master Sword, without glow gimmicks hopefully, his Bow, do a Spin Attack and use BotW variations of Bombs and Boomerang.

However he might also get the Spin Attack as a Down Smash and have a new Up B. Remote Bombs and the BotW version of the Boomerang would also function quite differently than before. The Gale Boomerang felt a little too forced to me honestly. It wasn't even a very effective weapon in Twilight Princess, and that translated over. :rolleyes:

AT THE VERY LEAST I don't want BotW Link have that HORRIBLE Master Sword gimmick in Smash. Sugar Ray PLZ
Just made this post in the general thread, thought I'd share it here cause relevancy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just made this post in the general thread, thought I'd share it here cause relevancy.
I would hope he learned his lesson from Pokemon Trainer and the fatigue mechanic; however, if the use of the Master Sword is limited, I am out, fam. Not even going to bother with him. I dropped him in Brawl and I will do it again if I have to.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I like Link the way he's been throughout the franchise. Hopefully the changes are minimal, or if it is an entire overhaul, they'll make regular Link playable on the side. A simple change like going from Melee's boomerang to Brawl's Gale boomerang is the most change I'm willing to accept. Losing the hookshot would also be a huge let-down, as it's a tool he's had since the beginning.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else think that Link should be given the Palutena treatment? Like, some of his alternate B moves could be the Megaton Hammer, the Fire Rod, the Ice Rod, the Gust Bellows, the Whip, and the Hook Beetle. I admit I have trouble fleshing out enough ideas to fill every slot, but I think it could be done.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Does anyone else think that Link should be given the Palutena treatment? Like, some of his alternate B moves could be the Megaton Hammer, the Fire Rod, the Ice Rod, the Gust Bellows, the Whip, and the Hook Beetle. I admit I have trouble fleshing out enough ideas to fill every slot, but I think it could be done.
I don't think anyone should be given the Palutena treatment, not even Palutena. It basically ruined her as a character.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I don't think anyone should be given the Palutena treatment, not even Palutena. It basically ruined her as a character.
It ruined Palutena because customs as a whole were implemented terribly in multiple ways. They were cumbersome set up, annoying to unlock and and low quality on many characters. So they were banned, and Palutena wasn't given an exception despite being very different with regards to multiple of those issues. That combined with her '1111' set being nothing special and actually having anti-synergy (reflect wall and counter?) is what worked against her.

For instance, Mega Man also had 'the Palutena treatment' in that he had multiple customs that functioned entirely differently, but he didn't suffer from it.

If customs are implemented properly then sure, it actually makes a tonne of sense. But if they're in the same 'half hearted' state they were in 4 then they'd need to make his '1111' set his usual, or at least what he'd designed around.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Man, I wish that teaser didn't show Breath of the Wild Link. I prefer the Twilight Princess look for the Zelda characters. Why doesn't he have his hat? The thought of Link being so drastically changed really scares me. I really want every character to return and be similar to how they were in Smash 4.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Man, I wish that teaser didn't show Breath of the Wild Link. I prefer the Twilight Princess look for the Zelda characters. Why doesn't he have his hat? The thought of Link being so drastically changed really scares me. I really want every character to return and be similar to how they were in Smash 4.
As a main of Zelda, Puff and Dedede:

Pls no that's what my nightmares are made of god they need something new.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Their strengths can still be tweaked a bit without being completely changed.
And their useless crap remains? Sometimes it's simply much healthier to rework a concept to keep the feel but change the mechanics. Keeping a dead concept just to avoid change is hampering yourself.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I mean like, maybe Zelda, Jigglypuff and Dedede could move a bit faster. Maybe Zelda's Farore's Wind could be easier to control. Maybe Jigglypuff's Sing could raise her higher. Maybe the Phantom Slash could be stronger with a multihit. That's what I meant about their strengths getting tweaked. As in they get buffs.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
There are still glaring weaknesses even when patching up holes. Could they remain fun to play by simply buffing them and patching up their flaws? Yes, they're fun enough to play now, thus why I main them. Would I much rather they run with the concept around their playstyle and update them to no longer be bound to what was available during the GC era? Hell yeah. Every new character is a reminder of how creative the team can be and how flexible the Smash system can be to allow for such great fun and originality. I want my old loves to receive that kind of care and attention, but instead it seems there will always be flaws and outdated ideas that drag them down, even if not to their current tier list depths at least drag them away from what could be.

To get back to Link: obviously I thoroughly enjoy his playstyle, if you didn't gather by my current favourites featuring heavy projectile zoning options (and puff but that's another story), but I'm also a large fan of the games and see potentials that I'd like to see explored and (as he's not my main and I actually prefer Tink a fair bit) there's a selfish side to wanting some things that may be more fun for me to play. Now I'm not going to say that Link is in a state of needing that kind of change, or that I think my opinions of what he could be are worth more than the fans of him currently. But I think there's room to incoporate newer ideas that weren't around during the GC/Melee days to give him some fresh changes, and change isn't a bad thing. Like maybe his Up-B becomes Revali's Gale but if he activates it mid attack then that attack starts rising. His spin attack grounded Up-B becomes his Down Smash but functions the same if it is combo'd into Up-B. That's a whole lot more character depth available in that concept despite it being a fairly significant change, but also doesn't necessarily mess with his identity as the projectile spammer.

Last edited:

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
I just hope they use SR Samus, buff her homing missile tracking, get rid of ftilt’s sweetspot, oh and give her the run she had in classic metroid and give her different fsmash, missile, and super missile animations, maybe her melee or brawl missile animations and an fsmash more evocative of her sr self? Give her a better dair too please, less landing lag or some auto cancels please and maybe her old nair, new one is good but old one was better. Oh! To top it off buff the jab sweetspot, give the thing higher base knockback so its a valuable get off me tool, idc if it wont combo into jab 2, just make it good for what it’s meant to be, like ssb4 samus is good

As for Ganon... Give him his melee dash speed and brawil air speed and a dead man’s volley neutral b, please if it’s a projectile which it should be then make it have the stun effect and do lots of damage but make it slow and able to be sent back by attacks of similar or higher priority to ganon and have pressing neutral b again have him swing his cape to reflect it or just swing his arm like he did in oot either or, if thats to much then make it a charging projectile like in crusade or something just give him his most iconic move please

And their useless crap remains? Sometimes it's simply much healthier to rework a concept to keep the feel but change the mechanics. Keeping a dead concept just to avoid change is hampering yourself.
Well most of this seems to be sakurai trying to keep the original designs for long time fans so they won’t be alienated by a completely different version, while I think some redesign is necessary I think its more to the way the moves work, I think say link can keep his moves but say boomerang can pass through enemies hitting once and then hitting again on return, maybe make him move with more mobility like in melee and make his framedata much better while keeping him being a strong spacing bait and punish (not spacing like marth but controling space to limit options like link or lucario) I think he could do well to be set up like that, maybe tweak the bow to let it be aimed all around while. held and it can be stored as an angle and charge with shield, now that one is less likely to happen but its an idea it wouldn’t necessarily overbuff him either but its a way to change him without doing so completely thus not alienating fans and still representing link

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Figure I'd throw in my ideal BotW link moveset (Toon Link staying the same in order to preserve classic link gameplay).

I'd focus him around having as many runes and champion abilities from the game as makes sense, but not pushing to have all of them.

A moves (only listing ones of note), are
Down smash: Spin attack
Up Smash: Urbosa's fury, acting like a long charge-up pikachu downb but the lightning bolt travels instantly.
Side tilt: Shield bash, which reflects projectiles and causes the enemy to go into an unusually high amount of hit lag if you clash with an attack.

Activated similarly to Peach's flight, he can pull out his paraglider.

His shield is daruk's protection, functioning like yoshi's egg in that it does not shrink.

Grab: Magnesis

Neutral B: Arrows. Tap to switch arrow types and hold down to charge up a shot, releasing to fire. He has infinite normal arrows, plus a limited number of fire, ice, thunder, and bomb arrows. He also has 1 ancient arrow, which kills at low percents. He can find extra arrows of special types if items are turned on. Unlike old link, he has control over the arrow's trajectory.

Side B: Master Cycle 0. Essentially it's Warriors bike.

Up B: Revali's gale. Flies up while generating a windbox that pushes other people up, and then gets to glide on his paraglider immediately after. This does not put him in free fall.

Down B: Remote bombs. Like his current bombs, but with no timer. Will only detonate upon reactivating the special, similar to snake's C4.

Final Smash: Stasis. Link freezes an enemy in front of him and can hit him as many times as he wants in the time limit. Afterwards, the knock back is combined and the enemy is sent flying.

Edit: Also, wall cling+wall climb as an option for recovery.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Being afraid of change is silly. Even if Link is changed fundamentally, Toon Link is still there with the same basic old moveset.

Embrace Wild Link, because he's probably here to stay for a while. And Wild LInk is so radically different from other Links, I can't see Sakurai being comfortable transitioning to him unless he was ready to make him *feel* like Breath of the Wild Link.

At least, the Sakurai who directed Smash 4.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Link has been the same for 4 games now, I'm completely here for a change. Although I'm honestly expecting his side b and grab to change, while getting the new bombs as well and pretty much everything else staying the same lol. Magnesis or cryosis as a side special would be cool, a command grab or creating a wall to block opponents/launching opponents if you did it under them. And magnesis and stasis would both make neat grabs, with the amount of pummels deciding the launch distance with stasis.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
How would Magnesis would make sense as a grab? It requires metal to even work. Charizard as an example doesn't have an metal on him nor have anything to do with him.

Cryosis seems too boring to use as it really only makes blocks of ice.

Stasis seems too likely to become broken to be usable.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
How would Magnesis would make sense as a grab? It requires metal to even work. Charizard as an example doesn't have an metal on him nor have anything to do with him.

well it wouldnt be the first time in a smash game that an ability doesnt mirror the exact use it did in its home game, for instance his gale boomerang pulls enemies in instead of items, so magnesis being a grab COULD make sense but tbh I'd just prefer he keep his hookshot and get a redesign for what one would look like in breath, the only rune I would care to see implemented would be bombs, and have em be very durable, so they can just skim the ground when tossed and manually detonated or something, that would be interesting

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Smash doesn't care about canon, like already mentioned, the gale boomerang never pulled in people.

I think cryosis could be a fun move in my opinion, and would probably be more useful than the freaking gale boomerang anyway lol.

How would stasis be broken as a grab?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who is not expecting much really?

I kind of feel as though Link is stuck in the same trap as Ganondorf at this point, and for better or worse, he'll stay mostly the same. Both characters have a pretty dedicated fan-base who would probably hate to see changes that are too drastic, and both have been the way they are for so long... I just don't see it personally aside from MAYBE a new Bomb skin to represent Bomb+ and potentially the Gale Boomerang and Hook/Clawshot being changed, but even that is rich thinking (this is Sakurai) and asking for a lot. Even with how successful BotW was, would they really change a fighter so drastically over one game? I'm not overly convinced...

Cynical and gut feelings aside, would I like to see Link (and Ganondorf) be changed personally? Yes I would, probably more than any other veteran fighters. Ganondorf needs black magic, Dead Man's Volley and a trident/and/or sword yesterday, and I'd have no qualms about changing the vast majority of Link's moves to simulate a bit more of the BotW side over the TP/OoT side and leave Toon Link with the more traditional move-set. However, this may not be the case for most fans, and we have to remember that Sakurai himself may hold a completely different view on how he sees Link and Ganondorf as fighters (not canon), and may be content with leaving them mostly the same as he has already done with Ganondorf.

That being said: Something I certainly do not want to see is some kind of fatigue system that would impede the Master Sword in some way; Link would be my "Loneliest Character" in Smash 5 in a heartbeat with such mechanics.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
not relevant but if this isn't a costume I'm gonna fight
They could quite easily do that costume split thing for Link in this game. Have 4 palettes for the Champion's Tunic and then have 4 more for the Tunic of the Wild. That way we get both the classic and new looks for Link.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They could quite easily do that costume split thing for Link in this game. Have 4 palettes for the Champion's Tunic and then have 4 more for the Tunic of the Wild. That way we get both the classic and new looks for Link.
I wonder what other alts link would get in that case, the tunic of the wild obviously needs green, red, blue and either dark link or purple. and luckily enough there's canon options for Champion tunic options

Black or purple would be nice, whichever they don't do for the wild tunic, as would the pink and the yellow imo

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys feel about classic Link outfits locked behind amiibo/DLC like in BotW and Hyrule Warriors?

I’d love to be able to switch between the outfits of all the adult Links like those games, but can’t see Smash giving us 4 or 5 green tunics in the base game.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
How would you guys feel about classic Link outfits locked behind amiibo/DLC like in BotW and Hyrule Warriors?

I’d love to be able to switch between the outfits of all the adult Links like those games, but can’t see Smash giving us 4 or 5 green tunics in the base game.
I’d rather no pay walls of any kind

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I’d rather no pay walls of any kind
Likewise! It’s never a great thing, but I think it’s a realistic way of including OoT/TP/SS tunics. Link is a prime example of a character who has tonnes of costume options, and I’m sure he will inherit some BotW outfits.

But just throwing the idea out there, seeing as a lot of other fighting games have costumes as DLC.

Last edited:

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Likewise! It’s never a great thing, but I think it’s a realistic way of including OoT/TP/SS tunics. Link is a prime example of a character who has tonnes of costume options, and I’m sure he will inherit some BotW outfits.

But just throwing the idea out there, seeing as a lot of other fighting games have costumes as DLC.

sounds fair, but they may as well just offer it as like in game bonuses or something

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
If BotW link is a new character, I'd bet everything on him having an up-b similar to kraggs in RoA with his cryo'

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
If BotW link is a new character, I'd bet everything on him having an up-b similar to kraggs in RoA with his cryo'
or as an up or down smash, I think that would work too

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I think it's safe to say that Link, for the most part, will stay the same in terms of moveset. Though of course, I could be wrong. Quite frankly, this is not the first time he's received an upgrade. In Smash 64 & Melee, we had OOT Link. In Smash 3 & 4, we had TP Link. In Smash 4, his dash attack was changed.

One change I'm both wanting and expecting is the Remote Bombs. They would make setting up traps and recovery so much easier. Link could pull out the sphere bomb and the cube bomb in a fixed order. The only major downside of this change is that Link would no longer be able to have multiple bombs on the stage--but the sacrifice is rewarded with new options.

I'm hoping the Gale Boomerang stays, but won't be too upset if it gets replaced with a BOTW boomerang. Personally, I think the Giant Boomerang would be pretty funny.

For his bow and arrow, I think it would be cool if Link could actually alter the angle at which the arrow is fired--and if used in the air, would briefly slow his descent.

As for his spin attack, I could see that getting a slight change in animation, to reflect upon BOTW--but would otherwise have the same effect as before. It would also be interesting to give it an electrified effect, to reflect upon Urbosa's Fury.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
I think it's safe to say that Link, for the most part, will stay the same in terms of moveset. Though of course, I could be wrong. Quite frankly, this is not the first time he's received an upgrade. In Smash 64 & Melee, we had OOT Link. In Smash 3 & 4, we had TP Link. In Smash 4, his dash attack was changed.

One change I'm both wanting and expecting is the Remote Bombs. They would make setting up traps and recovery so much easier. Link could pull out the sphere bomb and the cube bomb in a fixed order. The only major downside of this change is that Link would no longer be able to have multiple bombs on the stage--but the sacrifice is rewarded with new options.

I'm hoping the Gale Boomerang stays, but won't be too upset if it gets replaced with a BOTW boomerang. Personally, I think the Giant Boomerang would be pretty funny.

For his bow and arrow, I think it would be cool if Link could actually alter the angle at which the arrow is fired--and if used in the air, would briefly slow his descent.

As for his spin attack, I could see that getting a slight change in animation, to reflect upon BOTW--but would otherwise have the same effect as before. It would also be interesting to give it an electrified effect, to reflect upon Urbosa's Fury.
its doubtful he will get any big changes though

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I got two non moveset related things I want for him.

1. He has the option of wearing that black hood. That black hood with the light blue tunic is my favorite Link design and I love the horserider amiibo that features it.
2. His intro or one of his victory animations show him riding his Master Cycle Zero.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It’s really not “doubtful” he’ll get big changes. Smash movesets aren’t sacred or anything. Regardless, the likelihood isn’t something we can judge one way or another.

But given that BotW was a huge change for Zelda in general, and how Sakurai could easily see changing Link’s design to the BotW one as an opportunity to freshen things up, it’s not like it’s entirely out of the question.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
It’s really not “doubtful” he’ll get big changes. Smash movesets aren’t sacred or anything. Regardless, the likelihood isn’t something we can judge one way or another.

But given that BotW was a huge change for Zelda in general, and how Sakurai could easily see changing Link’s design to the BotW one as an opportunity to freshen things up, it’s not like it’s entirely out of the question.
if he does then ganon needs his signature projectile

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I wonder if there's a possibility that Breath of the Wild could be a separate character, then again, having three Links would be quite controversial for a lot of people (i wouldn't mind personally), and very inconsistent if they update every other Zelda characters with BotW designs -except TLink, of course- but kept just the normal TP Link.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I wonder if there's a possibility that Breath of the Wild could be a separate character, then again, having three Links would be quite controversial for a lot of people (i wouldn't mind personally), and very inconsistent if they update every other Zelda characters with BotW designs -except TLink, of course- but kept just the normal TP Link.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
So, from what I've heard, Link no longer has a Hook/Clawshot. Just a regular grab. I kind of like this change.

Gale Boomerang is also gone, in place of the BOTW Boomerang. He also shoots two arrows now. Just as I predicted, Link has Remote Bombs now. Since he can probably use these to recover, one really can't complain about the lack of tether recovery. Lastly, I anticipated his Final Smash would be the Ancient Arrow.

Overall, I like what they've done with him so far. I might actually main him this time around.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
BOTW Link gameplay wise is kinda looking like Snake but with a sword

Remote Bombs look really good and extremely versatile and cover quite a bit of ground and have high knockback from what I've seen in the Invitational.

emefcue

Smash Cadet
i will miss the hookshot. I like the idea of detonating bombs at will. i have a bunch of ideas running in my head of what to do with them. links vertical recovery from his up-b looks not so good though. it looks very much like melee's. i can't wait for more details.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I tried watching to see if bombs explode on impact. I didn't notice if it did but they probably don't. That makes bomb sliding (if you can do it) less good because it doesn't cover your approach the same way.

Top Bottom