• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Breath of fresh air - Link Smash Switch speculation thread

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd love for Gdorf to get a new moveset too. My problem is, we already have Toon Link who uses the moveset much better, so why not differentiate BotW Link with a new moveset? The people who preferred the old moveset can use Toon Link, while BotW Link can feel less like a clone character and more of his own. Honestly, I'd love to see little to no clone characters in Smash 5 if possible. Of course, I'm considered a casual player, so I'm not a fan of the whole "similar moveset with different physics" thing that some other people are.
I hate TL and love the old moveset, this would be a huge loss for me.

It's not even about my actual hate for Tink, the way he plays just isn't as fun imo. Doesn't have that special fast fall, bows are different, up b is multihit, has that stupid dive dair, floatier, etc... I'd hate for that to be my only option

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I hate TL and love the old moveset, this would be a huge loss for me.

It's not even about my actual hate for Tink, the way he plays just isn't as fun imo. Doesn't have that special fast fall, bows are different, up b is multihit, has that stupid dive dair, floatier, etc... I'd hate for that to be my only option
I was going to reply, but these are my exact thoughts. I’d be happy to cut Tink wholesale if he doesn’t get a Wind Waker kit (with a wind-gust-to-parasail from the Deku leaf)

I get it: BotW was great. But to be the cause to discard a classic Smasher entirely is a bit much. I’d rather a new BotW character to rep that and leave Link and Zelda mostly alone. We’re not getting all four champions, but an Impa or other Sheikah could end up with all the champion abilities, or just give us one of the champions (Urbosa is my choice, and I think the director’s admitted she’s his favorite)

Honestly, I don’t even want a full, ground-up Dorf redesign. I want more than a few changes to gove him a sword and magic, but a lot of moves (side special) should stay. I like him being slow and powerful, but I do want a better run animation that doesn’t make him look like an old man. And a less derpy model.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I was going to reply, but these are my exact thoughts. I’d be happy to cut Tink wholesale if he doesn’t get a Wind Waker kit (with a wind-gust-to-parasail from the Deku leaf)

I get it: BotW was great. But to be the cause to discard a classic Smasher entirely is a bit much. I’d rather a new BotW character to rep that and leave Link and Zelda mostly alone. We’re not getting all four champions, but an Impa or other Sheikah could end up with all the champion abilities, or just give us one of the champions (Urbosa is my choice, and I think the director’s admitted she’s his favorite)

Honestly, I don’t even want a full, ground-up Dorf redesign. I want more than a few changes to gove him a sword and magic, but a lot of moves (side special) should stay. I like him being slow and powerful, but I do want a better run animation that doesn’t make him look like an old man. And a less derpy model.
I genuinely think Zelda is a character that needs to be seriously considered for a redesign. Many of her attacks are very generic, and uninspired. Having the powers of the three goddesses is a neat idea, but outside of Din's Fire nothing sticks out. If I had to choose between Link or Zelda getting a big BoTW inspired redesign, I'd pick Zelda all day every day, though I'd rather her (and the rest of the LoZ characters for that matter) just take a little bit from all their past appearances instead of focusing solely on one game.

I can't see Impa with the champion's abilities, there's no reason for it. Most of the abilities aren't that special anyway. Daruk's protection is a shield, Urbosa's fury is a lightning strike similar to Pikachu's, Mipha's grace would be like respawing without losing a stock which would be broken, Revali's gale can have potential if they make it more than just a super jump, but I feel like people just want it as a super jump up b replacement, and if that's the case it's wasted too. None of them would be great as one-off attacks imo, either make the champions characters, or limit them to AT's because adding them to Link's Smash kit isn't doing anyone any justice.

The things that have potential from BotW imo, is the Sheikah slate, and other BotW specific stuff like climbing, gliding, parrying, flurries, and crits, and tbh I don't like the idea of most of them being in Smash. I've said it before, I think remote bombs transition the best, critical arrow shots could work, shield parrying would be an interesting mechanic, and the idea for magnesis to visually replace clawshot could work. I know that's not the new and exciting moveset everyone is looking for, but it makes sense without making too many concessions.

I hate like 95% of Dorf's design, and I feel like his entire kit is expendable.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The champion abilities actually translate well for Zelda’s current specials (Daruk = red Nayru, Urbosa = lightning Din, Revali = wind based Farore, and a Mipha heal for down) without much change. They’d make great alternate specials since they are so similar, ut ine of the biggest changes I’d like for her would be more light-powered attacks.

Magnesis and Stasis runes would be tough to translate into Smash as Link’s grab/side special, but I could see it. It would raise questions of “why can Kirby be grabbed by magnesis?” or the like, and I do miss Tether recovery (as bad as I was at it). I still also like Triforce slash as a final, but please change Tink’s to something more unique.

On the other hand, there is no reason remote bomb shouldn’t happen to give Link something from BotW, and the flurry should also return from Melee.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The champion abilities actually translate well for Zelda’s current specials (Daruk = red Nayru, Urbosa = lightning Din, Revali = wind based Farore, and a Mipha heal for down) without much change. They’d make great alternate specials since they are so similar, ut ine of the biggest changes I’d like for her would be more light-powered attacks.

Magnesis and Stasis runes would be tough to translate into Smash as Link’s grab/side special, but I could see it. It would raise questions of “why can Kirby be grabbed by magnesis?” or the like, and I do miss Tether recovery (as bad as I was at it). I still also like Triforce slash as a final, but please change Tink’s to something more unique.

On the other hand, there is no reason remote bomb shouldn’t happen to give Link something from BotW, and the flurry should also return from Melee.
Basing my opinion solely off of what happened to his moveset after TP's release, I can easily see the bomb being the only change.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I'd like to see Wild/Champion Link get a stamina meter, and use it for gliding or climbing walls/ledges.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I am curious at what his alts will be. As per Smash tradition, we'll probably get recolours, but I think we'll also get the green tunic with its own recolours. Ideally 16 in total like Little Mac

Also I really hope the Green Tunic is the Kokiri Tunic, especially since it would work so good for recolours, and it's the most prominent Green Tunic in Breath of the Wild, more so than Tunic of the Wild.

It's perfect because it's the outfit that actually has the Red, Blue, Dark and Fierce Deity outfit

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
While I'm happy for Link to possibly get a new moveset based on BotW, I kind of hope he isn't too different from Smash 4. If you'd asked after Brawl, I'd have said change everything, but Link had such glorious small changes in Smash 4 that made him a viable character for me. Specifically he felt like he actually had a sword for the first time in the series

Kronus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8046-6707
Am I the only one who wants a new BotW Link and not replace the TP Link? I know we already have two Links in Smash 4 but I just don't want the classic green tunic Link be an alternate costume and have revamped moves when BotW Link in itself has a huge amount of moveset potential and is deserving to have his own slot in the roster.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, the only possibility I see for Link to get new moves representing BotW is if they improve the custom system and give him the option to use different weapons.

Otherwise, the best I can see is just give him different outfits based on BotW's various armors.

Literally the only thing BotW Link can't do that other Links can is the Hookshot, and Aonuma did mention they came up with a concept for the Hookshot before it was discarded. Otherwise, Link can still represent the whole series, BotW included, with his current kit.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I think a new moveset would overall be beneficial to Link. His current moveset is just outdated and clunky. I feel bad for any current Link mains that won't be able to adapt or play the new Link as well as they can the current Link if this happens, but we may still have Toon Link, who isn't drastically different from the current Link, and there's always the possibility that if they do end up doing this, that Toon Link could be altered slightly to mimic the current Link a little more.

I'd love to see his Final Smash include the Four Divine Beasts, his grab become Magnesis, his side special become his Remote Bomb, his down special become a parry counter(uses his shield to block and then counterattacks), and his up special become Revali's Gale + Paraglider.

His standard special should obviously stay as is. As far as his aerial and smash moves are concerned, they could do a lot with them, and overall I'm excited to see what and if they're going to do anything to him.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think a new moveset would overall be beneficial to Link. His current moveset is just outdated and clunky. I feel bad for any current Link mains that won't be able to adapt or play the new Link as well as they can the current Link if this happens, but we may still have Toon Link, who isn't drastically different from the current Link, and there's always the possibility that if they do end up doing this, that Toon Link could be altered slightly to mimic the current Link a little more.

I'd love to see his Final Smash include the Four Divine Beasts, his grab become Magnesis, his side special become his Remote Bomb, his down special become a parry counter(uses his shield to block and then counterattacks), and his up special become Revali's Gale + Paraglider.

His standard special should obviously stay as is. As far as his aerial and smash moves are concerned, they could do a lot with them, and overall I'm excited to see what and if they're going to do anything to him.
No thanks.

Don’t get me wrong, Breath of the Wild was a great game. But Link’s appearance in Smash should be a celebration of all of his games, not just the latest.

Link was actually pretty good in Sm4sh, so I’d rather not change him too much. His down special should become remote bombs, which do not explode on impact and need to be detonated; his flurry from Melee should return; and I wouldn’t mind a modification on the side special. If they’re not adding any champions, I could see the divine beasts as a final smash, but I don’t hate the Triforce slash - I just don’t like that Tink has the same move. And that’s about it.

Yes, he didn't use a hookshot/clawshot in BotW, but keep it for reference to OoT or TP. Yes, his spin attack was only a power move for his sword, but it’s his most iconic move aside from the jump attack so it should be kept. And I still remember growing up with a lefty Link, which as a lefty was realy nice to see a hero like me. We’re already changing out his most iconic outfit (granted for one that also looks cool, but has nowhere near as much history behind it), so keep some of him left.

I see this “let’s change character x completely, and then people who are too lame to pick up the new moves can stick with clone y” argument all the time and it really annoys me. I didn’t pick up Link because he was high tier and I wanted to win tourneys. I loved the character in OoT, Twilight Princess was one of my favorite games, and Link has always been my favorite video game character. Why make such an overhaul and then tell fans that you’re tossing everything that is not related to a single game? If I wanted to play fake Link, I’d have picked him up since Brawl.

Like I said, there should be a few changes to incorporate new moves, but he shouldn’t get a massive overhaul from just one game.

I’d also like to see a new Zelda character, and one of my top picks would be Urbosa, who could easily pick up those specials (especially the counter parry) and adopt a fully BotW-based moveset. She could also use her own power, and even look back to some of the Gerudo fights in OoT/MM for extra scimitar moves.

Same with Zelda herself. Her specials are so easy to change to the champion abilities since they’re basically the same as is, but I don't want too much overhaul for her either. Let’s finally bring in a new Zelda character.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
BOTW Link is probably going to be a faster, more agile character than the regular slow and heavy Link, including having a faster dash and moves coming out quicker. He had the Master Sword + Bow in the trailer so he's probably using only those instead of other BOTW weapons like spears/clubs/etc.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I’d also like to see a new Zelda character
Me too, but there's always the hurdle that Zelda has a solid recurring core cast but a constantly revolving door of non-core characters.

Zelda is in a gray area between Mario and Fire Emblem because of this. I guess Sakurai sees giving only the core cast representation as being easier than to introduce and throw away a revolving door of characters.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
No thanks.

Don’t get me wrong, Breath of the Wild was a great game. But Link’s appearance in Smash should be a celebration of all of his games, not just the latest.

Link was actually pretty good in Sm4sh, so I’d rather not change him too much. His down special should become remote bombs, which do not explode on impact and need to be detonated; his flurry from Melee should return; and I wouldn’t mind a modification on the side special. If they’re not adding any champions, I could see the divine beasts as a final smash, but I don’t hate the Triforce slash - I just don’t like that Tink has the same move. And that’s about it.

Yes, he didn't use a hookshot/clawshot in BotW, but keep it for reference to OoT or TP. Yes, his spin attack was only a power move for his sword, but it’s his most iconic move aside from the jump attack so it should be kept. And I still remember growing up with a lefty Link, which as a lefty was realy nice to see a hero like me. We’re already changing out his most iconic outfit (granted for one that also looks cool, but has nowhere near as much history behind it), so keep some of him left.

I see this “let’s change character x completely, and then people who are too lame to pick up the new moves can stick with clone y” argument all the time and it really annoys me. I didn’t pick up Link because he was high tier and I wanted to win tourneys. I loved the character in OoT, Twilight Princess was one of my favorite games, and Link has always been my favorite video game character. Why make such an overhaul and then tell fans that you’re tossing everything that is not related to a single game? If I wanted to play fake Link, I’d have picked him up since Brawl.

Like I said, there should be a few changes to incorporate new moves, but he shouldn’t get a massive overhaul from just one game.

I’d also like to see a new Zelda character, and one of my top picks would be Urbosa, who could easily pick up those specials (especially the counter parry) and adopt a fully BotW-based moveset. She could also use her own power, and even look back to some of the Gerudo fights in OoT/MM for extra scimitar moves.

Same with Zelda herself. Her specials are so easy to change to the champion abilities since they’re basically the same as is, but I don't want too much overhaul for her either. Let’s finally bring in a new Zelda character.
The problem is, Link has a massive variety of tools, skills and styles to choose from, but people insist upon keeping him as he was for the past 4 games simply because of tradition? Because it's what they're used to? It's ignoring the plethora of ideas that Link brings to the table in favor of not wanting to change anything. I like BotW Link, but I don't want to see him hamstrung with the same moveset that OoT and Twilight Link had, thus showing a complete lack of creativity.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
No thanks.

I agree with this so much.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The problem is, Link has a massive variety of tools, skills and styles to choose from, but people insist upon keeping him as he was for the past 4 games simply because of tradition? Because it's what they're used to? It's ignoring the plethora of ideas that Link brings to the table in favor of not wanting to change anything. I like BotW Link, but I don't want to see him hamstrung with the same moveset that OoT and Twilight Link had, thus showing a complete lack of creativity.
Look, people don't mind that Mario doesn't have his hammer or his Goomba Stomp, and those are long-standing iconic moves for Mario. Wanting a perfectly faithful moveset to the Zelda series to be changed (especially after it got the jump attack) just for the sake of a recent game is just entitlement at its worst.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
And how much do you change before Link is ‘New Link’?

The same could be said about previous games. Did Link get a wolf transformation in Brawl? Or use Midna as a sidekick in any moves? Or get weapons like the Ball and Chain? Or the spinner? Or get his twilight teleports? Twilight Princess also had a load of stuff, and a lot was left unused. Just look at all the weapons they gave to Link in Hyrule Warriors. But they gave him a fairy taunt, when the last exposition fairy he had was from over five years previous.

We could also discuss other characters as well. Peach is known for floating, but really hasn’t since SMB2. She even got her own game as the hero, and that didn’t overhaul her moveset.

As more games release, we get more to use. But trying to change the entire moveset to favor one single game is tantamount to declaring that game the be-all-and-end-all of the character and discarding every other appearance. I like a lot of Link’s games, so why stick with a moveset that only references one?

Like I said, there are some moves I’d like to see replaced, like the boomerang which has gotten steadily less important as the series proceeded, or the readdition of his flurry, or the remote bombs. But I would also want to keep the jump attack and the spin attack, since those are iconic moves.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
With Tink available and still able to represent some classic item movesets I think there's certainly an option to change up some things for Link. At very lesat there's the possibility to change some animations like the tether to represent new things. That said, while I'm personally hoping for some larger changes to Zelda I'm not sure if I'm as invested in changes to Link. I mostly just sort of see the opportunity with a second slot available.

Look, people don't mind that Mario doesn't have his hammer or his Goomba Stomp, and those are long-standing iconic moves for Mario.
Whataboutism. Doesn't solve anything to point out different issues.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
With Tink available and still able to represent some classic item movesets I think there's certainly an option to change up some things for Link. At very lesat there's the possibility to change some animations like the tether to represent new things. That said, while I'm personally hoping for some larger changes to Zelda I'm not sure if I'm as invested in changes to Link. I mostly just sort of see the opportunity with a second slot available.

Whataboutism. Doesn't solve anything to point out different issues.
I think it's worth reiterating that not everyone likes Tink nor wants to default to him to be able to play the classic Link kit. Tink is not a 'solution' here.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think it's worth reiterating that not everyone likes Tink nor wants to default to him to be able to play the classic Link kit. Tink is not a 'solution' here.
That's fair, I'm actually not super familiar with the differences, though I believe Tink is higher tier in 4?

EDIT: I should also point out that I'm currently in favour of Zelda recieving the Champion's abilities, as they line up better with her current specials as is, so most of what I imagine coming as a change for Link would be different bombs and the inclusion of other Shiekah Slate runes, of which only Cryonis is especially different.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That's fair, I'm actually not super familiar with the differences, though I believe Tink is higher tier in 4?

EDIT: I should also point out that I'm currently in favour of Zelda recieving the Champion's abilities, as they line up better with her current specials as is, so most of what I imagine coming as a change for Link would be different bombs and the inclusion of other Shiekah Slate runes, of which only Cryonis is especially different.
Honestly there probably pretty even right now on the tier list though I haven't checked. Tink got really good results early on with Hyuga, but after the... stuff happened, the only notable Tink has been Sigma I think and his results aren't nearly as good (though still really good).

Link got off to a rough start, but T has made a pretty big impact with the character over the last year or 2, and showed off Link's potential.

Either way the characters still play really differently, and I don't think people that enjoy Link now can just move on to Tink, and still be satisfied. Toon Link is floatier, and has plenty of differences to his attacks. Imo the argument that Tink should just be the sole representative of the old moveset is as bad as when people say the same thing for Mario and Doc. Every character has their nuances, and unless there's a huge call for a revamp I don't think it should happen. Small changes, sure, but retooling the entire kit, because of one game? Nah

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, this also goes the other way round. With Toon Link players not enjoying playing as Link either or preferring his playstyle over the other. Yet that didn't stop people advocating for Toon Link getting his moveset drastically changed or even wanting him outright getting cut for many years, stating that "Toon Link players can always just play as Link" I just find it ironic that the tables have seemingly turned.

That said, I don't think they will do anything too drastic with Link in Smash Switch as Sakurai never really drastically changes a character between Smash games since he doesn't want to upset old players too much. Closest thing was Pit and Bowser and even then they mainly had either their specials or normals changed while still overall retaining their old moveset/playstyle.

The most I can see happening with Link is getting his grab changed from the Clawshot to the Megnesis Rune, but still generally retain the same use. Likewise for the Gale Boomerang and Bombs.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
is as bad as when people say the same thing for Mario and Doc.
To be fair, I see Mario mains switch to Doc to mess around for fun (and Doc mains switch to Mario when they want to get more serious), where I don't see the same happen with the Links. I guess that helps your argument though.

At very least gale boomerang is old/outdated enough to justify some kind of change, even if it's just becoming a regular boomerang.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
I guess a lot of people are torn up about replacing Spin Attack as Up B with Revali's Gale for the most part (maybe with Spin Attack being moved to down smash)

Magnesis replacing Hookshot as grab/tether animation seems to be a source of contention as well, even if it is just an aesthetic change, along with using Stasis for grab state animation

Link can keep the Bow and the Bombs can become remote controlled like Snake's C4, not much of a big change there

Same as the Final Smash, no one seems too bothered with changing Triforce Slash to the Champions using the Divine Beasts to laser the opponent into oblivion (like Mega Man's Final Smash basically), as no one uses Final Smashes in competitive play anyway

It's possible dash attack could be changed from the Jump Slash to the BOTW Dash Slash, which is basically the old dash attack but faster. The Jump Slash in BOTW got moved to being an air attack, so maybe the Jump Slash will be Link's new down air

With Shield Parrying being a big part of BOTW combat, it's possible it could be a new forward tilt or a forward smash, with the added ability to parry attacks and projectiles

If Link really is going to keep a Boomerang as a side B, it will probably go back to Melee's/SSB4 custom move's version, albeit with a BOTW aesthetic

What could be really interesting would be the implementation of a Counter special move, either as Daruk's Protection (same way how it works in BOTW, hit red shield->shockwave) or Flurry Rush (backflip and sword combo, not really BOTW specific)
I'd put money on it being Flurry Rush (better represents series as a whole despite mainly being a BOTW mechanic) and Daruk's Protection being given to Zelda (with maybe even Revali's Gale and Urbosa's Fury given to her)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Again, literally the only think BotW Link can't do that Smash Link currently can is use the Hookshot.

And again, Aonuma said that they thought up a concept for the Hookshot. There's no problem with BotW Link just being a costume change.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
Question: are you more comfortable with Link's standard attacks being changed if it meant that Link's special moves would go mostly unchanged (besides aesthetically and Remote Bombs)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Question: are you more comfortable with Link's standard attacks being changed if it meant that Link's special moves would go mostly unchanged (besides aesthetically and Remote Bombs)
I suppose I would be, but if we're talking Link swapping out the Master Sword for several other weapons, then I'm not seeing it happening.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
To what? Most normals are just standard sword attacks, so minor changes may go unnoticed, unless you plan on changing the Master Sword. The ones that should absolutely stay are the iconic moves which the ZeldaWiki even has articles (and notes their ubiquity) on, like the dair Sword Plant, the fdash Jump Attack, and the uspecial Spin Attack.

I would like to see some things from BotW, mainly the flurry as a jab, which Link had in Melee and lost since.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
To what? Most normals are just standard sword attacks, so minor changes may go unnoticed, unless you plan on changing the Master Sword. The ones that should absolutely stay are the iconic moves which the ZeldaWiki even has articles (and notes their ubiquity) on, like the dair Sword Plant, the fdash Jump Attack, and the uspecial Spin Attack.

I would like to see some things from BotW, mainly the flurry as a jab, which Link had in Melee and lost since.
It's possible dash attack could be changed from the Jump Slash to the BOTW Dash Slash, which is basically the old dash attack but faster. The Jump Slash in BOTW got moved to being an air attack, so maybe the Jump Slash will be Link's new down air

With Shield Parrying being a big part of BOTW combat, it's possible it could be a new forward tilt or a forward smash, with the added ability to parry attacks and projectiles/QUOTE]

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...so in essence by changing 2 out of the 3 moves I think are majorly iconic...

We finally got the Jump Slash after 4 Smash games. You know, the move that every 3D Zelda game had a tutorial for that taught you L-targeting (took me a while to get used to it not being called Z-targeting anymore), and ended with a spin attack and a jump slash.

And as for the down aerial remaing the sword plant, he’s had that since Zelda II, and it’s how he killed Ganondorf in Twilight Princess, wind Waker, and I’m pretty sure the finisher on Ganon in Ocarina. If BotW didn’t use that as his sword aerial, I think BotW was the one missing a move, not Smash.

As it remains, both showed in BotW, but only when Link was already in the air, and both required a fast fall. I think that’s why jump slash works best as a dash since he doesn't need to go high as much as forward and down. Also wouldn’t work as an faerial, since it does require ground contact at the end. Sword plant is mostly down and ends with ground contact.

It is interesting though how a lot of people want the counter - isn't that the first thing people say when they see a new sword character? “Ugh another swordsman. Bet he’s got a down B counter, like all the rest...” Link’s got a great bomb down B, and making that BotW style with a detonation would be really cool.

Like I said, I definitely want a flurry jab, since that wasn’t based on much in the previous Smash games, but is one of his big new moves in BotW. The boomerang’s also been a bit old hat since it’s always been made obsolete every game fairly early on each one (usually by the hookshot), so by all means change that out as well. My one issue with the hookshot/magnesis is that magnesis would cut his tether recovery, which I suck at but was a major puzzle element from OoT to WW (and how a ball of puff could be attracted to a magnet, but that’s beside the point). Link should definitely get a wall cling in this game, and possibly a crawl (sneak move) because of BotW. I’m still really for that one idea higher in the thread to turn the side special into a spear jab and have it finish by shattering since that was a major element of BotW as well. It’s not like I don’t want any changes, but his iconic moves should end up staying.

If I were in charge, I’d give the shield counter to Urbosa, who also used it in one of her cutscenes. I think she was the most interesting of the four champions, and she could take a lot more from BotW and allow Link to rep all Zelda games.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Ideally I think we end up with two Links
One representing breath of the wild and having a completely different moveset, remote bombs, stasis, magnesis, etc
And a new Link called classic link that is a mix of Link and Toon Link and represents the classic smash moveset and has the appearance of the classic Link.
Think something like this image here

I would also like Champion Link to have the tunic of the wild as an alt

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
No thanks.

I disagree. Smash Link has never been a celebration of his series history. If that were the case, his current moveset wouldn't be so boring. (Note, boring is used loosely here. Link in Smash has, up until now, merely used the same items that have been consistent between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. We finally have a Link who actually does not have certain things that those other Links have.)

Magical rods, capes, medallions, spells, magical songs, power-gauntlets, ball & chain, magic hammers, special bombs, special arrows, masks, various swords, and special abilities are the things that should have been represented by Link in Smash if he were a celebration/composite character. Those are his history, not the safe combination of bombs, bow, boomerang, and hook/clawshot that he has now and can't seem to ditch in favor of something better or more interesting.

We finally have a golden opportunity for Link to be re-imagined in a more creative light in regards to his Smash moveset. Yeah, there are definitely things I think we should keep: Spin Attack, Sm4sh Dash Attack, Up and Down airs, bow, and bombs (though with remote detonation). But do we really need anything else to be kept? I mean, like, really? Are they that necessary?

I think it would be to Smash' discredit if it forced certain things onto Link that he doesn't have in BotW just for the sake of keeping him the same.

I feel I should explain something from a personal standpoint, so you understand where I'm coming from. The last 8 years of my life have been filled to the brim with endless change and transition. Change is something that many people tend to be afraid of and avoid, whereas I have grown accustomed to it due to my circumstances and constant exposure to change. The one thing I can expect to remain the same, is that nothing remains the same.

And, more often than not now, I'm not only more accepting of change when it happens but I'm downright asking for it a lot of the time.

This is one of those moments. Give me something different, give me something new. Let's not be afraid of the potential for change. It's not a bad thing, it's just different. And many times, it can be better.

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I would be disappointed if BOTW Link only ends up being a mere costume swap for original Link. Players are going to have expectations that BOTW Link is going to have moves based on BOTW, and also be mechanically different from OG Link.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I disagree. Smash Link has never been a celebration of his series history. If that were the case, his current moveset wouldn't be so boring. (Note, boring is used loosely here. Link in Smash has, up until now, merely used the same items that have been consistent between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. We finally have a Link who actually does not have certain things that those other Links have.)

Magical rods, capes, medallions, spells, magical songs, power-gauntlets, ball & chain, magic hammers, special bombs, special arrows, masks, various swords, and special abilities are the things that should have been represented by Link in Smash if he were a celebration/composite character. Those are his history, not the safe combination of bombs, bow, boomerang, and hook/clawshot that he has now and can't seem to ditch in favor of something better or more interesting.

We finally have a golden opportunity for Link to be re-imagined in a more creative light in regards to his Smash moveset. Yeah, there are definitely things I think we should keep: Spin Attack, Sm4sh Dash Attack, Up and Down airs, bow, and bombs (though with remote detonation). But do we really need anything else to be kept? I mean, like, really? Are they that necessary?

I think it would be to Smash' discredit if it forced certain things onto Link that he doesn't have in BotW just for the sake of keeping him the same.

I feel I should explain something from a personal standpoint, so you understand where I'm coming from. The last 8 years of my life have been filled to the brim with endless change and transition. Change is something that many people tend to be afraid of and avoid, whereas I have grown accustomed to it due to my circumstances and constant exposure to change. The one thing I can expect to remain the same, is that nothing remains the same.

And, more often than not now, I'm not only more accepting of change when it happens but I'm downright asking for it a lot of the time.

This is one of those moments. Give me something different, give me something new. Let's not be afraid of the potential for change. It's not a bad thing, it's just different. And many times, it can be better.
You know, after reading this, I’m not entirely convinced we’re not on the same side.

I misspoke in saying that Smash Link is a compilation of his previous appearances. What I meant was that he’s got important moves from most of his appearances. Yes, he’s used the magic rod, the ball and chain, the spinner, etc. but those aren’t typically “whoa, Link’s weapon!” kind of things. After all, how many games has he used a spinner in versus how many has he not had bombs.

Funny thing is I would like to keep a core set of moves, which is the exact set of moves you would keep as well: spin attack, Sm4sh dash attack, up/down aerial, bow, and bomb. I do think the boomerang is outdated, and would be interested in something new. I’d even love to see a mechanic on the bow that slows him down in the air and lets him aim at the expense of going into freefall afterwards, and of course detonable bombs. And bring back that flurry jab!

It seems the only thing we disagreed overall was whether or not the hookshot should remain a grab.

Most of the other standard attacks are relatively standard, so I don’t see much change possible, unless they modified the animations by game. Still, the gist of the slashes would be the same.

It'll be interesting to see, but all we can do is speculate since we haven’t gotten anything but a silhouette this far. I’m still a bit disappointed that Link stopped being a lefty, but what can you do?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
You know, after reading this, I’m not entirely convinced we’re not on the same side.

I misspoke in saying that Smash Link is a compilation of his previous appearances. What I meant was that he’s got important moves from most of his appearances. Yes, he’s used the magic rod, the ball and chain, the spinner, etc. but those aren’t typically “whoa, Link’s weapon!” kind of things. After all, how many games has he used a spinner in versus how many has he not had bombs.

Funny thing is I would like to keep a core set of moves, which is the exact set of moves you would keep as well: spin attack, Sm4sh dash attack, up/down aerial, bow, and bomb. I do think the boomerang is outdated, and would be interested in something new. I’d even love to see a mechanic on the bow that slows him down in the air and lets him aim at the expense of going into freefall afterwards, and of course detonable bombs. And bring back that flurry jab!

It seems the only thing we disagreed overall was whether or not the hookshot should remain a grab.

Most of the other standard attacks are relatively standard, so I don’t see much change possible, unless they modified the animations by game. Still, the gist of the slashes would be the same.

It'll be interesting to see, but all we can do is speculate since we haven’t gotten anything but a silhouette this far. I’m still a bit disappointed that Link stopped being a lefty, but what can you do?
We agree on more than I presumed. Interesting.

In regards to the hookshot being his grab, his grab doesn't have to be a tether.

Gasp, I know.

In Soul Calibur II Link didn't even use the hookshot. He just... grabbed.

Also, I completely agree on the mid-air bow slowing his movement. Also, free aiming with the bow would be marvelous. I mean, Pit has semi-free aim, why is Link's archery limited?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The thing I like most about the tether recovery is that it's unique. Really, only the two Links and the two Samuses (and Lucas) use it out of the entire cast. Not so much for myself, since I think I only managed to do it once or twice since I started playing Smash, so if it is in or not will not really change how I play.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
I think links up special should be changed to revalis gale when used in the air and let him keep spin attack when its used on the ground.
Link is in dire need of a better recovery

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
It just occurred to me, breath of the wild Link could use the champion weapons for his normal/smash attacks
Mipha’s trident, urbosa’s schmitar, daruk’s sword, and revali’s bow

Assuming he gets an overhaul

Top Bottom