• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"A Bad Smash Day..."- Conker for Ultimate!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Man I really hope Rare Replay makes it's way to PC now that Microsoft is putting all of their first party releases on both Xbox and PC, I bought the game a while back just in case I ever do get an Xbox One and to support Rare, but I really don't want to buy an Xbox One just for one game (I have Sea Of Thieves on PC). Honestly, the best thing for Conker and Rare in general would be for more people to have access to these games, I can't imagine that Sea Of Thieves would be as popular if it was only playable on Xbox One.
I agree. For too long Rare games have only been exclusive to specific platforms, either Nintendo or Microsoft. While there are other franchises out there that have only been available on one console at a time (Mario, Halo, etc) those are all 1st party franchises to their respective companies. Although Rare is a 2nd party to Microsoft, it needs to expand and become a 3rd party. Rare's games are absolutely amazing, but they need more accessibility all around.

2nd party companies hardly ever get their franchisees to achieve mainstream attention if I recall correctly. Just look at Camelot. They're a 2nd party company to Nintendo. But I don't hear millions of people talking about Golden Sun like, say, Zelda and Kirby. In the grand scheme of things, not a lot of people even know who Banjo-Kazooie and the others are. That's why more accessibility is a must-have if Rare doesn't want to fade into obscurity or continue making Kinect Sports games for the rest of their existence.

What I personally really want is that Rare Replay gets ported to the Nintendo Switch!
So that, not only its games get to be where they belong again, but mostly to increase the chances of Banjo and specially Conker to get in Smash Bros!
I really want Rare Replay on the Switch too! Not only for the reasons you stated, but also because Rare games in general just fit better on Nintendo than Xbox. Even the more edgy/darker Rare games. If Nintendo still has their "kiddie audience" then a lot of Rare games can easily cater them along with the hardcore Rare fans who've been around for years.

What about my boy Chunky? In the words of the DK Rap "This Kong's one HELL of a guy !"

Lanky Kong is great too, Also love his "Ooplah" sound and his running 360 degree spin attack where he smacks his own ***, But Chunky was probably my favorite of the DK crew growing up, I wish Chunky, Lanky and Tiny Kong would appear in more DK spinoffs or mainline games, maybe even a sequel to DK 64 ?
(Maybe, Someday)

Side note: Speaking of Kong sound effects, To this very day I still sometimes say "Yeah" in Donkey Kong's "64" voice when he pulls out his Coconut Gun when someone ask's me a question.
I want all of the DK Crew to return. Nintendo's problem is that they make all these unique and memorable characters, but then forgets about them later on to stick with a "main cast". In DK's case, I think the franchise's main cast is DK, Diddy, Dixie, and... I guess that's pretty much it unless K. Rool makes a return in DKC which is pretty likely. But yeah, those guys definitely need to make a return.

MAJOR EDIT: WOAAHHHH CAN'T BELIEVE WE MISSED THIS!! HAPPY BELATED 18TH BIRTHDAY CONKER!

tweet.PNG

That twitter post has thousands of likes and retweets!!! Lots of people are asking Rare for a Conker sequel/revival and some are even suggesting him for Smash! I'm glad this got people talking about the squirrel.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

What about my boy Chunky? In the words of the DK Rap "This Kong's one HELL of a guy !"

Lanky Kong is great too, Also love his "Ooplah" sound and his running 360 degree spin attack where he smacks his own ***, But Chunky was probably my favorite of the DK crew growing up, I wish Chunky, Lanky and Tiny Kong would appear in more DK spinoffs or mainline games, maybe even a sequel to DK 64 ?
(Maybe, Someday)

Side note: Speaking of Kong sound effects, To this very day I still sometimes say "Yeah" in Donkey Kong's "64" voice when he pulls out his Coconut Gun when someone ask's me a question.
Wait, wasn't he dead?!

Joking aside, I always liked his distinctive outfit and personality, and that he kind of looks like the original design of Donkey Kong, which (plz don't hate me) is my personal favourite DK design, tho I like the modern one too!

But knowing Chunky, I don't really think he would be very comfortable if people chose him in the roster for battle!

I agree. For too long Rare games have only been exclusive to specific platforms, either Nintendo or Microsoft. While there are other franchises out there that have only been available on one console at a time (Mario, Halo, etc) those are all 1st party franchises to their respective companies. Although Rare is a 2nd party to Microsoft, it needs to expand and become a 3rd party. Rare's games are absolutely amazing, but they need more accessibility all around.

2nd party companies hardly ever get their franchisees to achieve mainstream attention if I recall correctly. Just look at Camelot. They're a 2nd party company to Nintendo. But I don't hear millions of people talking about Golden Sun like, say, Zelda and Kirby. In the grand scheme of things, not a lot of people even know who Banjo-Kazooie and the others are. That's why more accessibility is a must-have if Rare doesn't want to fade into obscurity or continue making Kinect Sports games for the rest of their existence.
I honestly don't think that's really the case, I think it's a bit irrelevant wether the franchises are 2nd Party or 1st Party to a company, they all get the same kind of treatment. As long as they have memorable games that sell well, they get to be iconic and talked about, as much as the 1st Party ones (or sometimes even more)! A good example is Pokemon, they are owned by Game-Freak (if i'm not mistaken), and that company has been 2nd Party to Nintendo since the beginning, and their major franchise (Pokemon) is practically as iconic, successful and talked about, as Mario and Zelda, and way more than some 1st Party Nintendo series such as Pikmin, StarFox or Metroid!

I want all of the DK Crew to return. Nintendo's problem is that they make all these unique and memorable characters, but then forgets about them later on to stick with a "main cast". In DK's case, I think the franchise's main cast is DK, Diddy, Dixie, and... I guess that's pretty much it unless K. Rool makes a return in DKC which is pretty likely. But yeah, those guys definitely need to make a return.
Exactly! If Smash Bros can have all these generic Fire Emblem characters, than I don't see any reason why they can't have the whole DK 64 crew (and Dixie)!
to be honest, I actually never understood why Dixie wasn't in Donkey Kong 64!

MAJOR EDIT: WOAAHHHH CAN'T BELIEVE WE MISSED THIS!! HAPPY RELATED 18TH BIRTHDAY CONKER!

That twitter post has thousands of likes and retweets!!! Lots of people are asking Rare for a Conker sequel/revival and some are even suggesting him for Smash! I'm glad this got people talking about the squirrel.
Wowsers!!! Guess that totally slipped under our radar! Oh man, I'm so happy with that, it really increases my faith! The only question is, are those people aware of this thread or Smashboards in general!

TheBeastHimself

I suppose I should post this here:

chris.PNG

Let me clarify, this by no means deconfirms Conker. Although Chris was the director of Bad Fur Day, he does not own the Conker IP. That still belongs to Rare. So although he may think it's unlikely, his opinions are just like anyone elses and have no bearing of whether or not Conker actually gets in. But anyway, good can still come out of these tweets. He's down to voice Conker in Smash, which is relieving to hear!

I honestly don't think that's really the case, I think it's a bit irrelevant wether the franchises are 2nd Party or 1st Party to a company, they all get the same kind of treatment. As long as they have memorable games that sell well, they get to be iconic and talked about, as much as the 1st Party ones (or sometimes even more)! A good example is Pokemon, they are owned by Game-Freak (if i'm not mistaken), and that company has been 2nd Party to Nintendo since the beginning, and their major franchise (Pokemon) is practically as iconic, successful and talked about, as Mario and Zelda, and way more than some 1st Party Nintendo series such as Pikmin, StarFox or Metroid!

Exactly! If Smash Bros can have all these generic Fire Emblem characters, than I don't see any reason why they can't have the whole DK 64 crew (and Dixie)!
to be honest, I actually never understood why Dixie wasn't in Donkey Kong 64!

Wowsers!!! Guess that totally slipped under our radar! Oh man, I'm so happy with that, it really increases my faith! The only question is, are those people aware of this thread or Smashboards in general!
You're right, Pokemon completely slipped my mind lmao.

I'm not sure why Dixie wasn't in DK64. Now that I think about it, they added lots of DK characters in the 90s that never really stuck around for too long. Not only the DK 64 crew, but also Kiddy Kong (who is actually mentioned to be Chunky Kong's l'il bro in the DK64 manual), Candy Kong, Swanky Kong, etc. I'm honestly glad Funky Kong stuck around. Seeing him in Mario Kart Wii was definitely a WTF moment, but he ended up being the best racer in the whole game! I'd like to see a lot of these characters make a comeback, I think they all deserve it. And I also really hope King K. Rool returns in DKC games with his Kremling army. I don't really like where the DK series has gone since the 90s ended...

And I posted a link to this thread on Rare's twitter post, so maybe some people will find it!

Last edited:

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982
If Banjo Kazooie gets in to smash bros, It would be fun to see a duo fight, really like people would want to see duo fight between Duck Hunt & Banjo Kazooie if Banjo Kazooie was chosen by Nintendo for their smash bros fighter pass. Who will win? The bear and bird or the duck and dog?

This sketch drawing was made by BlueIke

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I'd like to see a lot of these characters make a comeback, I think they all deserve it. And I also really hope King K. Rool returns in DKC games with his Kremling army. I don't really like where the DK series has gone since the 90s ended...
Me too! Tho, if I could choose one to return, it would be Lanky! He's just so wacky and unique!
I always thought it was a really missed opportunity that they did not include him in the modern DKC games, specially in Tropical Freeze, considering how every single character in that game has his own special move, I could easily see Lanky stretching his arms, in order to hit enemies at a longer range! Plus, just like Donkey and Funkey, he could be another playable characters who transports the secondary playable characters, which are Diddy, Dixie and Cranky, in order to make it seem more balanced, since there are only two of that type of playable characters! And so, that would make a total of 6 playable characters!
I agree! Never understood why they don't just bring the classic enemies/villains back, considering that there shouldn't be any license issue since Nintendo owns the full rights to DK. Tho I enjoyed Tropical Freeze, I admit that the enemies in that game just seem too "Out of Place" and kind of uninspired (in my opinion)!

If Banjo Kazooie gets in to smash bros, It would be fun to see a duo fight, really like people would want to see duo fight between Duck Hunt & Banjo Kazooie if Banjo Kazooie was chosen by Nintendo for their smash bros fighter pass. Who will win? The bear and bird or the duck and dog?

Yeah, that's a really funny concept! I mostly like how one member of each Duo is either really angry and concentrated or worried and scared!

Also, I wanted to share this video here!

Gotta say, Although I really dislike Microsoft for what they made Rare become, I must admit that this trailer of Rare Replay right here, is absolutely brilliant!
The charming narrator does an excellent job in summing up our memories of us playing our favourite Rare and Nintendo games for the first time!
Tears literally just popped up in my eyes, when the man says "Every memory is a story" and specially "You'll see why the best stories...will never...be forgotten!"

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to Dixie not being in 64, the official answer is "expanding the Kong family", but I bet it was because they couldn't get the physics of her single ponytail right.

Also, Nintendo creators feel uneasy about using other people's stuff, seeing how Jungle Beat only had DK come back and most of their pre-Retro DK games were handled by other companies.

In any case, I still think Retro will bring back the DK Crew. So far, each DKC game they did took baby steps in bringing back kongs; Returns had Diddy and Cranky, and TF now has Dixie and Funky. So the next logical step is a third game with the grand comeback of the DK Crew and, by extension, the Kremlings.

Neat, this one's my personal favorite from them:

https://www.deviantart.com/blueike/art/Smash-Bros-Schmuck-Hunt-752258474

Link, because the image upload frigging decided to go on strike again.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Since we’re on it, I made my own concept of how I think the two iconic and loveable Rare mascots would react and behave if they are to meet each other in Smash Bros!
View attachment 197048

Here it is, what do you guys think?
I think this looks amazing. Keep making art if you feel up to it because I would really like to see what else you can create!

In regards to Dixie not being in 64, the official answer is "expanding the Kong family", but I bet it was because they couldn't get the physics of her single ponytail right.

Also, Nintendo creators feel uneasy about using other people's stuff, seeing how Jungle Beat only had DK come back and most of their pre-Retro DK games were handled by other companies.

In any case, I still think Retro will bring back the DK Crew. So far, each DKC game they did took baby steps in bringing back kongs; Returns had Diddy and Cranky, and TF now has Dixie and Funky. So the next logical step is a third game with the grand comeback of the DK Crew and, by extension, the Kremlings.

Neat, this one's my personal favorite from them:

https://www.deviantart.com/blueike/art/Smash-Bros-Schmuck-Hunt-752258474

Link, because the image upload frigging decided to go on strike again.
I hope you're right. And I also hope the DK Crew does not fall into the forgotten characters category like Geno and the others (maybe Geno is a bad example now, but you get my point). I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate their return, and people seeing them for the first time would have a lot of fun using their various abilities. Who knows, having a bunch of DK characters gradually make their return may also lead to some future DK spinoffs in the future, like Donkey Kong Racing! I've got my fingers crossed.

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982
Since we’re on it, I made my own concept of how I think the two iconic and loveable Rare mascots would react and behave if they are to meet each other in Smash Bros!
View attachment 197048

Here it is, what do you guys think?
This is amazing artwork that we imagine, if Banjo Kazooie and Conker got in to smash bros with a stage, soundtracks and spirits, this is a good friendship of Nintendo and Microsoft working together to make gaming better and ever in history with gaming.

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Fighter Pass Predictions that I think Nintendo and Sakurai chose for DLC to say into our mind that may get in predictions.
Joker from Persona 5, Banjo & Kazooie form Banjo-Kazooie, Heihachi from Tekken 7, Geno from Super Mario RPG, Sylux from Metroid Prime 3.

Of course Piranha Plant as our number 1 free dlc for smash but to think of it, we have six dlc fighters for smash but also SSBU News tweet that their is a second Unofficial Super Smash Bros Ultimate Fighter Ballot that we believe is not part of the Fighter Pass that confirms that their is a 7 dlc characters for smash that may vote on but here in smashboards, we want Conker in smash bros that some people think may get a second Microsoft rep. If Banjo Kazooie can get in, Conker can to so if Conker can get in will just have to vote him in the smash ballot and see if Nintendo and Microsoft agrees that Conker as a second Microsoft character much like Banjo Kazooie as their first for Rare Ltd that they may say that Conker will be a interesting wtf character like they did with piranha plant. Games that Nintendo and Microsoft see that if they brought back Banjo Kazooie from dead they could do the same to Conker because People love these two Microsoft Rare characters Banjo Kazooie and Conker and they ask for a remake or a new game or for smash and people want them to be in smash bros that maybe that the end of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Nintendo and Microsoft see and chose Conker that they will decide to reveal him at the end of the game of Super Smash Bros Ultimate to make a big unexpected special surprise like Microsoft did in Project Spark.

You think Microsoft and Nintendo argee that they will surprise us with Conker that the end of smash bros like Microsoft did in Project Spark, you think they will do that again. And oh I maybe reference, 7 dlc it brings up that reference to "Super Mario RPG Legend of The Seven Stars" and like to make that reference, Super Smash Bros Ultimate Legend of The Seven DLCs it would make more sense if Geno is coming to smash, will be waiting for the our new Banjo and Conker Game if they both get in to smash.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Fighter Pass Predictions that I think Nintendo and Sakurai chose for DLC to say into our mind that may get in predictions.
Joker from Persona 5, Banjo & Kazooie form Banjo-Kazooie, Heihachi from Tekken 7, Geno from Super Mario RPG, Sylux from Metroid Prime 3.

Of course Piranha Plant as our number 1 free dlc for smash but to think of it, we have six dlc fighters for smash but also SSBU News tweet that their is a second Unofficial Super Smash Bros Ultimate Fighter Ballot that we believe is not part of the Fighter Pass that confirms that their is a 7 dlc characters for smash that may vote on but here in smashboards, we want Conker in smash bros that some people think may get a second Microsoft rep. If Banjo Kazooie can get in, Conker can to so if Conker can get in will just have to vote him in the smash ballot and see if Nintendo and Microsoft agrees that Conker as a second Microsoft character much like Banjo Kazooie as their first for Rare Ltd that they may say that Conker will be a interesting wtf character like they did with piranha plant. Games that Nintendo and Microsoft see that if they brought back Banjo Kazooie from dead they could do the same to Conker because People love these two Microsoft Rare characters Banjo Kazooie and Conker and they ask for a remake or a new game or for smash and people want them to be in smash bros that maybe that the end of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Nintendo and Microsoft see and chose Conker that they will decide to reveal him at the end of the game of Super Smash Bros Ultimate to make a big unexpected special surprise like Microsoft did in Project Spark.

You think Microsoft and Nintendo argee that they will surprise us with Conker that the end of smash bros like Microsoft did in Project Spark, you think they will do that again. And oh I maybe reference, 7 dlc it brings up that reference to "Super Mario RPG Legend of The Seven Stars" and like to make that reference, Super Smash Bros Ultimate Legend of The Seven DLCs it would make more sense if Geno is coming to smash, will be waiting for the our new Banjo and Conker Game if they both get in to smash.
I know some people want the Battletoads after Banjo, or Joanna Dark, but the thing is Conker is the second face of Rare. It's just a fact. Whenever Rare includes Banjo in something, Conker is always right there next to him in the spotlight. Conker even shows up twice as much as Banjo does, so that should say something. As much as Battletoads and Perfect Dark are popular franchises with their own merits of getting a rep, Conker just seems like the next logical step.

There's some news I read the other day that may or may not be bad news, depending on how you interpret it. A man named Brad Sams (a writer for Windows Central) has very close sources inside of Microsoft. According to those sources, Xbox Game Pass isn't slated to come to the Nintendo Switch currently, but that may change in the future. We'll just have to wait and see, but here are his exact words:

"There has been a lot of talk out there about Game Pass on the Switch. I'm hearing from multiple sources that isn't happening. Let me clarify, that is definitely not happening in the near term. I can't ever say never, because Microsoft wants Game Pass on TV's, they want it on PC's, they want it on Xbox, they want it everywhere with their XCloud stuff, but as of right now I am hearing from multiple people that it isn't coming to the Switch. Obviously things could change and all that good stuff, but yeah don't expect Game Pass on the Switch anytime soon. At least that is what I'm hearing."

Here's a link to the article I found it from: https://mynintendonews.com/2019/03/...coming-to-nintendo-switch-at-least-near-term/

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I think this looks amazing. Keep making art if you feel up to it because I would really like to see what else you can create!
Thanks man! You can always give me a suggestion for a new concept if you want to!

I know some people want the Battletoads after Banjo, or Joanna Bark, but the thing is Conker is the second face of Rare. It's just a fact. Whenever Rare includes Banjo in something, Conker is always right there next to him in the spotlight. Conker even shows up twice as much as Banjo does, so that should say something. As much as Battletoads and Perfect Dark are popular franchises with their own merits of getting a rep, Conker just seems like the next logical step.
Exactly!!! Even a blind person can totally see that! It already confuses me a hell of alot that Conker isn't getting as much support and recognition as Banjo when it comes to Smash Bros, but to think that people aren't even considering him as the best choice for a second Rare Rep, seriously?!
I mean, I can still tolerate a little the idea of having Battletoads after Banjo Kazooie, but Joanna Dark?! Are you f*cking kidding me??!! Please, even that little astronaut from that jetpac game (that appears in DK64) would be more fitting and would make more sense than having her as a 2nd Rare rep in Smash!!!

There's some news I read the other day that may or may not be bad news, depending on how you interpret it. A man named Brad Sams (a writer for Windows Central) has very close sources inside of Microsoft. According to those sources, Xbox Game Pass isn't slated to come to the Nintendo Switch currently, but that may change in the future. We'll just have to wait and see, but here are his exact words:
Argh what a bummer!!! That was literally one of the only things that gave me hope for Conker to get his furry tail in Smash! I mean, at least it wasn't deconfirmed, but it will probably take months for us to have an official release of the Xbox game pass on the Switch! But who knows, they might change their minds sooner than we thought!

Also
Here's something I found when I was waddling around on the Internet:
N-Gang_FreezeFrame_party.jpg
milo_investigates_clipping_12.png
It appears there was a Comic series made in German called N-Gang (kind of reminds me of Captain N) which, from what I read, was about a group of teenagers who had crazy adventures with lots of characters from various Nintendo franchises! I personally think this concepts look amazing, and it's funny cuz Conker is right next to Princess Peach in the first screenshot, looking all inocent and unsuspecting! I take it, this comics were made way before Bad Fur Day came out!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Thanks man! You can always give me a suggestion for a new concept if you want to!

Exactly!!! Even a blind person can totally see that! It already confuses me a hell of alot that Conker isn't getting as much support and recognition as Banjo when it comes to Smash Bros, but to think that people aren't even considering him as the best choice for a second Rare Rep, seriously?!
I mean, I can still tolerate a little the idea of having Battletoads after Banjo Kazooie, but Joanna Dark?! Are you f*cking kidding me??!! Please, even that little astronaut from that jetpac game (that appears in DK64) would be more fitting and would make more sense than having her as a 2nd Rare rep in Smash!!!

Argh what a bummer!!! That was literally one of the only things that gave me hope for Conker to get his furry tail in Smash! I mean, at least it wasn't deconfirmed, but it will probably take months for us to have an official release of the Xbox game pass on the Switch! But who knows, they might change their minds sooner than we thought!

Also
Here's something I found when I was waddling around on the Internet:
It appears there was a Comic series made in German called N-Gang (kind of reminds me of Captain N) which, from what I read, was about a group of teenagers who had crazy adventures with lots of characters from various Nintendo franchises! I personally think this concepts looks amazing, and it's funny cuz Conker is right next to Princess Peach in the first screenshot, looking all inocent and unsuspecting! I take it, this comics were made way before Bad Fur Day came out!
That's the one thing we can't lose, our hope. I don't think we should be blindly expecting Conker to make it in, but hope can't hurt anyone!

Also, thank you so much for sharing that comic! I never heard of it before, and seeing Banjo and Conker with so many other Nintendo characters is so heartwarming. It makes them feel like they are truly Nintendo characters, and also just gave me another reason why I think Conker is the next logical step for a second Rare rep. I did further research on N-Gang and yeah, teenagers hanging out with Nintendo characters? I definitely got some Captain N vibes from that. So apparently it was series published in the 1999-2000 issues of Club Nintendo (which is Germany's version of Nintendo Power). Conker himself only appears in one issue which is called "Freeze Frame", where Nintendo characters travel to a snowy world to take down King K. Rool. Conker only briefly shows up at the end during that celebration shot in the picture you posted, but it's still amazing to see him there regardless. Anyway, great find!

I found out some other cool little pieces of trivia regarding Conker. He's already appeared on the Nintendo Switch along with Banjo! Well, sorta. Conker and Banjo are both featured as skins on the Wii U and Nintendo Switch versions of Minecraft, thanks to Nintendo and Microsoft's partnership on that game. That may not seem big, but that was back in 2018. You know what that means? Banjo and Conker were negotiated among Nintendo, Microsoft, and Rare, along with all the other Microsoft characters featured in the skinpack, meaning that it is 100% possible to see Conker in Smash! :)

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
You're right! Hope is always the key to this sort of things, afterall!

Glad you apreciated it! And yes, I couldn't agree more, it just feels so right to see them next to the other Nintendo characters, cause they clearly are also part of the family.
And once again, it just goes to show that Banjo and Conker are, and will always be nintendo characters at heart, and that they clearly belong, not just in Smash Brothers, but with Nintendo! I also find it really nice that they decided to include Conker among all the iconic Nintendo mascots present in that lovely picture, even tho his series wasn't that much developed at the time this comic was made!
And it seems this comic series wasn't just released exclusively in Germany, cause it appears that the second picture I posted is translated to english! But unfortunately, I couldn't find the english version of the other pictures!

Cool, I guess that's a start! Are the Banjo and Conker skins exclusive to the Wii U and Switch version of Minecraft?? (if so, than that's really good, cause it shows that even Microsoft aknowledges where those two belong)!

TheBeastHimself

You're right! Hope is always the key to this sort of things, afterall!

Glad you apreciated it! And yes, I couldn't agree more, it just feels so right to see them next to the other Nintendo characters, cause they clearly are also part of the family.
And once again, it just goes to show that Banjo and Conker are, and will always be nintendo characters at heart, and that they clearly belong, not just in Smash Brothers, but with Nintendo! I also find it really nice that they decided to include Conker among all the iconic Nintendo mascots present in that lovely picture, even tho his series wasn't that much developed at the time this comic was made!
And it seems this comic series wasn't just released exclusively in Germany, cause it appears that the second picture I posted is translated to english! But unfortunately, I couldn't find the english version of the other pictures!

Cool, I guess that's a start! Are the Banjo and Conker skins exclusive to the Wii U and Switch version of Minecraft?? (if so, than that's really good, cause it shows that even Microsoft aknowledges where those two belong)!
I'm waiting for the day the classic Rare IPs get sent back to Nintendo. They truly belong there, and I found even more evidence the prove that. The creator of King K. Rool (Steve Mayes, who formerly worked at Rare) said that after K. Rool he'd love to see Banjo. What makes it interesting is that he said:

"Banjo and Kazooie were created as Nintendo characters, so it would be great to see them back on a Nintendo console - adding them to the Smash roster seems like the perfect opportunity." http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...inks_of_his_appearance_in_smash_bros_ultimate

Because Banjo and Conker were both equally promoted by Rare back in the day, I take it that Conker was also created as a Nintendo character. In fact, I'm sure he was due to Conker's Quest. So getting Conker back on Nintendo consoles would be great too, and adding him to Smash would also be the perfect opportunity!

The Minecraft skins are on the Xbox editions, and I don't think the Playstation versions got them.

If conker gets in, I NEED Gex!
Don't forget Croc!

Last edited:

PuffinToast34

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I'm waiting for the day the classic Rare IPs get sent back to Nintendo. They truly belong there, and I found even more evidence the prove that. The creator of King K. Rool (Steve Mayes, who formerly worked at Rare) said that after K. Rool he'd love to see Banjo. What makes it interesting is that he said:

"Banjo and Kazooie were created as Nintendo characters, so it would be great to see them back on a Nintendo console - adding them to the Smash roster seems like the perfect opportunity." http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...inks_of_his_appearance_in_smash_bros_ultimate

Because Banjo and Conker were both equally promoted by Rare back in the day, I take it that Conker was also created as a Nintendo character. In fact, I'm sure he was due to Conker's Quest. So getting Conker back on Nintendo consoles would be great too, and adding him to Smash would also be the perfect opportunity!

The Minecraft skins are on the Xbox editions, and I don't think the Playstation versions got them.

Don't forget Croc!
Or maybe Echo the Dolphin!
His specials?
Flop around helplessly B)

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
If conker gets in, I NEED Gex!
Don't forget Croc!
Not wanting to sound like a party pooper, but aren't those characters just unsuccessful and forgotten mascots like Bubsy?

Once again, I am bummed out that not even the crew of Rare seem to acknowledge that Banjo isn't the only Rareware character that fits with Nintendo and that deserves to be in Smash Brothers! I think it's more than obvious that Conker is as much of a Nintendo character as Banjo, just by the fact that he was included in Diddy Kong Racing, which basically makes him officially part of the DK and Mario universe! The fact that his series went M-rated doesn't make him any less "Nintendo-ish" than what he originally was!!! Still can't believe people haven't realized this already! But anyway, thanks for sharing that bit of information!

Peter Pepper from BurgerTime. Need some more arcade reps
Agree! Although, I think the best choice for one more arcade Rep would be Dig Dug
!
But I bet it won't happen, considering that the only way he attacks his enemies is by inflating them until they blow up, and I highly doubt Nintendo would aprove of seeing something like that happen to their beloved characters!
But Peter Pepper is a great choice too!
Speaking of arcade reps, I also thought it would be a great idea to add the three iconic Rampage monsters, George, Ralph, and Lizzie, not as playable characters tho, cuz unlike Ridley, these ones are definitely too big, but as Assist trophies and/or bosses, just like Rathalos! Don't know why, but I always get reminded of Nintendo whenever I play Rampage!

One more thing that I've been recently wondering, and that I wanted to ask you guys:

Considering that in Japan, cartoon characters have 5 fingered hands instead of four, you think that if Banjo and Conker will (hopefully) get into Smash Brothers, they will be given one extra finger to their hands, just like how it happened to the DK characters when Nintendo got the full rights to the Donkey Kong Country series??

I know this isn't that much of a big deal, but honestly, I think it's really weird to see cartoon characters such as Mario, Sonic, Toon Link, etc. with five fingered hands, probably because it makes it feel too real in contrast to the rest of their animated designs! I don't know, maybe it's just that I'm so used to seeing cartoons with 4 fingered hands!

Last edited:

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982
I got Big Chungus, sakurai is a god of memes and he don't like bad ones like waluigi, he won't get pass by him but if he in smash, then he will let the Memes in instead of the characters that originated from video games. #Bigchungusforsmash #Shaggyforsmash #Gnomeforsmash #Genieforsmash #Shrekforsmash #Gokuforsmash. damn memes but no Conker or Banjo or other game characters :(

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I got Big Chungus, sakurai is a god of memes waluigi won't get pass by him but if he in smash, then he will Conker and Memes in instead of the characters that originated from video games. #Conkerforsmash #Bigchungusforsmash #Shaggyforsmash #Gnomeforsmash #Genieforsmash damn memes but not Conker or Banjo :l
I actually find that a good think, because I think memes, wether they're mocking videogame characters or non-videogame characters, they disencourage Sakurai from adding them into Smash, cuz they make those choices seem ridiculous and farfetched! I might be wrong but I think that was one of the reasons why Waluigi wasn´t promoted into a playable character in Ultimate!

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982
Hey Mr. Stevenson remember you sent us you own concept of how you think the two iconic and loveable Rare mascots would react and behave if they are to meet each other in Smash Bros! Well I found this video that matches that plot point and look who it is, it's Banjo Kazooie and Conker Fighting in mugen, what's your response of this video to feel like they are in smash.

TheBeastHimself

Not wanting to sound like a party pooper, but aren't those characters just unsuccessful and forgotten mascots like Bubsy?
Yeah, lol. It would be very bizarre if they showed up in Smash and they practically have a 0.1% chance of getting in, but I feel like it would be so awesome if they did.

Once again, I am bummed out that not even the crew of Rare seem to acknowledge that Banjo isn't the only Rareware character that fits with Nintendo and that deserves to be in Smash Brothers! I think it's more than obvious that Conker is as much of a Nintendo character as Banjo, just by the fact that he was included in Diddy Kong Racing, which basically makes him officially part of the DK and Mario universe! The fact that his series went M-rated doesn't make him any less "Nintendo-ish" than what he originally was!!! Still can't believe people haven't realized this already! But anyway, thanks for sharing that bit of information!
I agree. Even though Conker when down the adult route, that doesn't mean he isn't a Nintendo character. If he started out as a Nintendo character, what happened? Did puberty suddenly separate him from the company? If Conker wasn't a Nintendo character, I don't think Nintendo themselves would have hosted that Conker event with beer and condoms galore. Because why would they do that for a character that wasn't made for their company?

One more thing that I've been recently wondering, and that I wanted to ask you guys:

Considering that in Japan, cartoon characters have 5 fingered hands instead of four, you think that if Banjo and Conker will (hopefully) get into Smash Brothers, they will be given one extra finger to their hands, just like how it happened to the DK characters when Nintendo got the full rights to the Donkey Kong Country series??

I know this isn't that much of a big deal, but honestly, I think it's really weird to see cartoon characters such as Mario, Sonic, Toon Link, etc. with five fingered hands, probably because it makes it feel too real in contrast to the rest of their animated designs! I don't know, maybe it's just that I'm so used to seeing cartoons with 4 fingered hands!
I honestly have no idea what would happen. So DK characters originally had four fingers but Nintendo gave them an extra one? I mean, it's such a minor detail from so long ago that I doubt they would even remember. But who knows? Me personally, if Banjo and Conker were bought by Nintendo, I feel like their designs would stay consistent.

I actually find that a good think, because I think memes, wether they're mocking videogame characters or non-videogame characters, they disencourage Sakurai from adding them into Smash, cuz they make those choices seem ridiculous and farfetched! I might be wrong but I think that was one of the reasons why Waluigi wasn´t promoted into a playable character in Ultimate!
There's a handful of characters that I'm rooting for, but they're all memes so I doubt anyone will take them seriously. Sans from Undertale, Minecraft Steve, Waluigi... Love those characters, but they're just memes in most peoples' eyes.

Hey Mr. Stevenson remember you sent us you own concept of how you think the two iconic and loveable Rare mascots would react and behave if they are to meet each other in Smash Bros! Well I found this video that matches that plot point and look who it is, it's Banjo Kazooie and Conker Fighting in mugen, what's your response of this video to feel like they are in smash.

I really like that video! Nice find. M.U.G.E.N. is a very interesting game, imagine if Smash Bros. was like that! :O

Congratulations on getting over 300 replies to the thread everyone!! To think a month ago we were only on one page with 20 something replies! Let's keep on rooting for Conker!

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Hey, that's exactly how I pictured the way those two would battle! Thanks for sharing it here! I love how they incorporated each character's abilities so well and also added the correspondent sound effects and the right soundtracks from both Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day! You can clearly see that the guy who made a Conker a fighter in M.U.G.E.N. really knew what he was doing, and he even added the malabarism idle animation! This is clearly just how I want to see Conker battling and behaving in Smash Brothers!

I agree. Even though Conker when down the adult route, that doesn't mean he isn't a Nintendo character. If he started out as a Nintendo character, what happened? Did puberty suddenly separate him from the company? If Conker wasn't a Nintendo character, I don't think Nintendo themselves would have hosted that Conker event with beer and condoms galore. Because why would they do that for a character that wasn't made for their company?
Exactly!!! It just goes to show that despite the content of Bad Fur Day being very against Nintendo's kid-friendly image, they still gave the character recognition, cause they trully knew where he belonged! It's no wonder you never saw Nintendo doing something like that to Battletoads or Perfect Dark, cause those were supposed to be exclusively part of Rareware!

I honestly have no idea what would happen. So DK characters originally had four fingers but Nintendo gave them an extra one? I mean, it's such a minor detail from so long ago that I doubt they would even remember. But who knows? Me personally, if Banjo and Conker were bought by Nintendo, I feel like their designs would stay consistent.
Yup, just take a look!

Lanky_Kong_(Donkey_Kong_64).png
Lanky_Kong_HD.png

I don't know about that, Japan has always been very nitpicky when it comes to four fingered cartoon characters, to the point where they even add an extra finger to western cartoon characters such as the Simpsons (is this considered as censorship??)!

I know it really shouldn't matter, since it's such a minor detail that most people won't even notice it, but it really makes me wonder what will they opt for. Tho I'm guessing that, since that aspect seems to be so controversial there, I'd say that they'll probably make that change!

But the strangest thing is that some characters such as Yoshi and the Koopa Troopas have always had a total of four fingers in each hand! That's it, I just don't get it!!!
Koopa-Troopa.jpg

Congratulations on getting over 300 replies to the thread everyone!! To think a month ago we were only on one page with 20 something replies! Let's keep on rooting for Conker!
We've definitely got to have some kind of celebration when we hit 10 pages!

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Heads up, this might increase Conker's chances a little!

So Reggie has stated that not only are the DLC characters going to be NEW to the series, they will also not be ANTICIPATED by the fans and leakers as well!
If we look at Banjo's case, he has got to be one of the most anticipated characters for the DLC fighter's pass!
And if we think about it, practically nobody was anticipating Joker to be a DLC character, he was a really shocking reveal!

I know this might be a little bit desperate for a clue, but considering that Conker isn't anticipated at all by fans of Smash Brothers and Conker alike, do any of you think he has somewhat of a brighter chance with this statement??
I mean, it will be a real waste if they don't include any single Rareware character as DLC, cause this isn't just any Smash Brothers, it's Super Smash Brothers Ultimate! An entry in the series with such a name, should at least have one rep from a company that once worked for Nintendo and gave nothing but success to them (no, DK characters don't count)!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Hey, that's exactly how I pictured the way those two would battle! Thanks for sharing it here! I love how they incorporated each character's abilities so well and also added the correspondent sound effects and the right soundtracks from both Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day! You can clearly see that the guy who made a Conker a fighter in M.U.G.E.N. really knew what he was doing, and he even added the malabarism idle animation! This is clearly just how I want to see Conker battling and behaving in Smash Brothers!

Exactly!!! It just goes to show that despite the content of Bad Fur Day being very against Nintendo's kid-friendly image, they still gave the character recognition, cause they trully knew where he belonged! It's no wonder you never saw Nintendo doing something like that to Battletoads or Perfect Dark, cause those were supposed to be exclusively part of Rareware!

Yup, just take a look!

I don't know about that, Japan has always been very nitpicky when it comes to four fingered cartoon characters, to the point where they even add an extra finger to western cartoon characters such as the Simpsons (is this considered as censorship??)!

I know it really shouldn't matter, since it's such a minor detail that most people won't even notice it, but it really makes me wonder what will they opt for. Tho I'm guessing that, since that aspect seems to be so controversial there, I'd say that they'll probably make that change!

But the strangest thing is that some characters such as Yoshi and the Koopa Troopas have always had a total of four fingers in each hand! That's it, I just don't get it!!!
View attachment 198090

We've definitely got to have some kind of celebration when we hit 10 pages!
That's actually kind of interesting. I'm not sure why Japan decides to add an extra finger to cartoon characters, but yeah now that you showed me it happens often, I can see Nintendo doing that to Banjo and Conker if they obtained the rights to them. I wouldn't prefer that, but at the same time, I feel like it's such a small detail that I wouldn't even notice it half the time.

Heads up, this might increase Conker's chances a little!

So Reggie has stated that not only are the DLC characters going to be NEW to the series, they will also not be ANTICIPATED by the fans and leakers as well!
If we look at Banjo's case, he has got to be one of the most anticipated characters for the DLC fighter's pass!
And if we think about it, practically nobody was anticipating Joker to be a DLC character, he was a really shocking reveal!

I know this might be a little bit desperate for a clue, but considering that Conker isn't anticipated at all by fans of Smash Brothers and Conker alike, do any of you think he has somewhat of a brighter chance with this statement??
I mean, it will be a real waste if they don't include any single Rareware character as DLC, cause this isn't just any Smash Brothers, it's Super Smash Brothers Ultimate! An entry in the series with such a name, should at least have one rep from a company that once worked for Nintendo and gave nothing but success to them (no, DK characters don't count)!
I feel like this could increase Conker's chances only because literally nobody would be expecting him period. Some people say they want Conker or that Conker would be cool, but who would be flat out expecting him?? No one! However, I feel like a lot of other characters can also fit this category of nobody expecting them, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Oh god we ran out of topics...

I can feel this thread dying already!!! :cry:

Last edited:

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982
Hi guys this is my Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Roster including the Fighter Pass Fighter Ballout DLC characters that is Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Dark Samus, Yoshi, Kirby Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Marth, Lucina, Young Link, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Roy, Chrom, Mr. Game and Wacth, Meta Knight, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake, Ike, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B, Toon Link, Wolf, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and Luma, Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena, PAC-MAN, Robin, Shulk, Bowser. Jr, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Richter, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Joker, Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Heihachi, Sylex, Conker, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter & Mii Gunner, this is what I believe that how my roster would look like if this what I got right from Nintendo and Sakurai and now looks we see that EVERYONE IS HERE from every Nintendo and Non-Nintendo game series of video game history because this game is biggest crossover fighting that Sakurai ever made in fighting game history and now we will have to see what comes next to smash brothers.

But to be sure that there is no Waluigi, and he be in this smash bros, but probably he will be in smash 6 sorry waluigi come for a few years tell Nintendo feels like if they want to make a new consoles but tell them waluigi, you need to try harder to get in.

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982

Oh no we can’t let this thread die! I will be one to save it, I will keep postings topic and because I have a lots of topics on the way and they will come so stay tune for that #Conkerforsmash.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Hi guys this is my Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Roster including the Fighter Pass Fighter Ballout DLC characters that is Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Dark Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Young Link, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Mr. Game and Watch, Meta Knight, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake, Ike, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic the Hedgehog, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B, Toon Link, Wolf, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and Luma, Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena, PAC-MAN, Bowser. Jr, Duck Hunt Duo, Ryu, Ken, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Richter, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Sylex, Conker, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter & Mii Gunner, this is what I believe that how my roster would look like if this what I got right from Nintendo and Sakurai and now looks we see that EVERYONE IS HERE from every Nintendo and Non-Nintendo game series of video game history because this game is biggest crossover fighting that Sakurai ever made in fighting game history and now we will have to see what comes next to smash brothers.

But to be sure that there is no Waluigi, and he be in this smash bros, but probably he will be in smash 6 sorry waluigi come for a few years tell Nintendo feels like if they want to make a new consoles but tell them waluigi, you need to try harder to get in.
Oh man I'd be so freaking happy if that was the official final roster, only because of Banjo and specially Conker being in there, if that would happen than I could safely say that Everyone is indeed here (for the most part)!! I also hope that with what Reggie said Conker will be at a better situation than Banjo for the DLC fighters Pass! Of course he's not the only unexpected and unnanticipated character but considering that he even once was owned by Nintendo, he definitely should be in the DLC line! I sincerely hope they don't opt for a nonsensical and unfitting character that doesn't have anything to do with to do with Nintendo, you know, just like they did with the first slot of the FP!

I never really understood the whole deal about Waluigi, sure I like the character and I'd like him to not just get in Smash, but most importantly in more Mario and specially Wario games, but is this whole riot of him being an assist trophy really necessary, I mean at least he's in! And there are still a few Super Mario characters that (in my opinion) would make more sense to be added than him such as Kamek or Captain Toad!

Oh no we can’t let this thread die! I will be one to save it, I will keep postings topic and because I have a lots of topics on the way and they will come so stay tune for that #Conkerforsmash.
Right on, I'll look forward to more issues involving both Conker and Smash Brothers! You know what, let me see if I can come up with a topic right now...hmm let's see...ohh I got something, and I've been recently thinking about it aswell, considering the amount of trophies that were present in Melee, and that at the time Rareware was still a 2nd party company and that its games and its characters were really popular and well known, don't you guys think that it's really weird that there were no trophies of any Rare characters (outside of DK) such as Banjo Kazooie or Conker, (I already find it weird enough that Banjo wasn't added in Smash 64 and not even in Melee, considering how successful the series immediately got), but on top of that there were some DK characters such as Dixie Kong and King K.rool, but there was no Diddy Kong trophy! Now that's surreal!!! Any thoughts??

Last edited:

CipherPool

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8149-9853-2982
Oh man I'd be so freaking happy if that was the official final roster, only because of Banjo and specially Conker being in there, if that would happen than I could safely say that Everyone is indeed here (for the most part)!! I also hope that with what Reggie said Conker will be at a better situation than Banjo for the DLC fighters Pass! Of course he's not the only unexpected and unnanticipated character but considering that he even once was owned by Nintendo, he definitely should be in the DLC line! I sincerely hope they don't opt for a nonsensical and unfitting character that doesn't have anything to do with to do with Nintendo, you know, just like they did with the first slot of the FP!

I never really understood the whole deal about Waluigi, sure I like the character and I'd like him to not just get in Smash, but most importantly in more Mario and specially Wario games, but is this whole riot of him being an assist trophy really necessary, I mean at least he's in! And there are still a few Super Mario characters that (in my opinion) would make more sense to be added than him such as Kamek or Captain Toad!

Right on, I'll look forward to more issues involving both Conker and Smash Brothers! You know what, let me see if I can come up with a topic right now...hmm let's see...ohh I got something, and I've been recently thinking about it aswell, considering the amount of trophies that were present in Melee, and that at the time Rareware was still a 2nd party company and that its games and its characters were really popular and well known, don't you guys think that it's really weird that there were no trophies of any Rare characters (outside of DK) such as Banjo Kazooie or Conker, (I already find it weird enough that Banjo wasn't added in Smash 64 and not even in Melee, considering how successful the series immediately got), but on top of that there were some DK characters such as Dixie Kong and King K.rool, but there was no Diddy Kong trophy! Now that's surreal!!! Any thoughts??
Oh my gold in smash brothers, King K. Rool and Dixie Kong in Melee as trophies to bad that Banjo & Kazooie did not make the cut. I love how these trophie models look like in recent smash games but not in ultimate, but I don't know why dixie did not make it in smash bros as a playable character but in ultimate, she appears spirit and king k. rool as the same as dixie but in ultimate, he appears as a playable character in smash and also he did had a mii costume in smash 4? Huh to my description of why people say that these two won't make it in as a playable, one character did not become playable but only Krool did so sad ( ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ). Hey also I want you watch this video of King K. Rool and why he went to much in his journey to be in smash!

#Freekrool in life ( ° ͜ʖ °)

But before he was a meme but now he's in smash as a playable character, thank you daddy sakurai!!!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I think the thing we have to remember is that we don't have to only talk about Conker in this thread. While he will always remain our primary focus, we can go off into other topics of discussion as we please as long as we remember to bring it back to Conker at some point.

A huge roster like that isn't necessarily impossible with Ultimate! There's been a lot of talk recently about 14 DLC slots being found in the game's code by dataminers. That means that there are 14 slots available for new characters after the base roster. This doesn't mean that Sakurai is going to use all 14 slots, but the possibility is there, and I personally think it's likely given how successful Ultimate has been and how everyone much money they would earn from selling so many characters. It would open up the possibilities to so many great characters, and would truly make this game feel ultimate.

A lot of people including myself just see so much potential in Waluigi. He's regarded as one of the plumbers, right along with Mario, Luigi, and Wario. When you think about it, Nintendo is sort of giving Waluigi an injustice. He's stuck in spin-off hell, while Mario is the star of his own series, Luigi is always in the spotlight along with his own series, and Wario gets his own series! Waluigi gets nothing, yet he's one of the famous plumbers. Waluigi has so much potential to do great things, especially because of his unique style and personality. That could be expanded upon if he joined Smash, and maybe show Nintendo that Waluigi deserves some of the spotlight too!

I actually think Microsoft owned Rare by the time Melee was coming out. Sakurai did say in an interview during the Melee days:

"Incidentally, including a character from Rare in Smash would be difficult for various reasons. I know there are some people who think that Banjo & Kazooie are an obvious inclusion, but that's unlikely for a variety of legal and financial reasons." https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Thankfully that was said a long time ago and not today, because Banjo is so likely at the moment. I think this is why there were no Rare trophies during Melee. Nintendo got to keep Rare assets that contributed to DK, which is why K. Rool and Dixie appear in Melee along with other Nintendo games.

In Melee, the Motion Sensor Bomb from GoldenEye 64 also appeared as a trophy, but as you can see they couldn't use the name GoldenEye 64 and instead how to use "TOP SECRET" due to Microsoft now owning Rare.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
A huge roster like that isn't necessarily impossible with Ultimate! There's been a lot of talk recently about 14 DLC slots being found in the game's code by dataminers. That means that there are 14 slots available for new characters after the base roster. This doesn't mean that Sakurai is going to use all 14 slots, but the possibility is there, and I personally think it's likely given how successful Ultimate has been and how everyone much money they would earn from selling so many characters. It would open up the possibilities to so many great characters, and would truly make this game feel ultimate.
Wowsers 14?! That honestly seems way too much!!! Of course it would be totally awesome if that happened nevertheless, but given how long it takes to create and add each newcomer (plus a stage and a record of soundtracks from their games), I personally doubt it! But it is true that Super Smash Bros Ultimate has been extremely successful in its sales and ratings, so with that I'd go as far as saying that there might be a second DLC fighters Pass!

A lot of people including myself just see so much potential in Waluigi. He's regarded as one of the plumbers, right along with Mario, Luigi, and Wario. When you think about it, Nintendo is sort of giving Waluigi an injustice. He's stuck in spin-off hell, while Mario is the star of his own series, Luigi is always in the spotlight along with his own series, and Wario gets his own series! Waluigi gets nothing, yet he's one of the famous plumbers. Waluigi has so much potential to do great things, especially because of his unique style and personality. That could be expanded upon if he joined Smash, and maybe show Nintendo that Waluigi deserves some of the spotlight too!
Fair enough! Gotta say, I honestly never understood why Nintendo makes Waluigi so exclusive to the Mario spin-off titles either, considering how unique and popular he is. But what makes the most confusing of all is why doesn't Nintendo at least add Waluigi as a 2nd playable character in the Wario games! I've always seen those too as an unique duo of mischief and honestly it seems pretty awkward and lonely to see Wario all by himself! I remember there being a Flash internet series which was about a crossover between Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog, and it was called Super Mario Z (I was a big fan of it when I was 10)! And I remember that the scenes involving Wario and Waluigi were some of the best and funniest parts of the entire series! It just proves how much potential those two have if Nintendo explored their relationship better, and made them a real highclass duo just like Mario and Luigi!
Speaking of which, I remember there being a really good idea for a Wario and Waluigi game with a brilliant title: Wario and Waluigi: Partners in Crime!

Some guy even designed a cover for it!

I actually think Microsoft owned Rare by the time Melee was coming out. Sakurai did say in an interview during the Melee days:

"Incidentally, including a character from Rare in Smash would be difficult for various reasons. I know there are some people who think that Banjo & Kazooie are an obvious inclusion, but that's unlikely for a variety of legal and financial reasons." https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Thankfully that was said a long time ago and not today, because Banjo is so likely at the moment. I think this is why there were no Rare trophies during Melee. Nintendo got to keep Rare assets that contributed to DK, which is why K. Rool and Dixie appear in Melee along with other Nintendo games.

In Melee, the Motion Sensor Bomb from GoldenEye 64 also appeared as a trophy, but as you can see they couldn't use the name GoldenEye 64 and instead how to use "TOP SECRET" due to Microsoft now owning Rare.
Sorry but I'm pretty sure that Rare got bough by Microsoft only in the late year of 2002, while Smash Melee was already released in 2001 (a couple of months after Conker's Bad Fur Day), and (correct me if I'm wrong) while Nintendo wasn't planning on acquiring the full rights to Rare, they certainly weren't planning on selling the 49% percent of the rights they had to the company, the only reason why they sold all of their rights to Rareware waas because Microsoft soon bought the remaining 51% percent of the rights to their franchises, which made it pointless for them to still own a smaller amount of their content!

So I really don't get the licencing issue behind all of this, I mean, if Nintendo didn't have any of those problems in including the characters and content from Pokemon and Earthbound (two second party series)! Than I don't see how including Banjo Kazooie and Conker (at least) as trophies would lead them to copyright infrigement!
Also at the time, Dixie and King K.rool were still mostly part of Rare, since they're the ones who created them! But how on earth wasn't Diddy Kong included as a trophy too??? The best theory that I have is that he was also planned to be added as a playable fighter, but due to the small amount of time they had left, he eventually got scrapped!

Wow, thanks for giving me that bit of info, I had no idea there was a Goldeneye trophy in Melee! What makes it so epic for me, is that 007 is the only fourth party franchise to ever get some of its content added in the whole Super Smash Bros series! And the fact that the trophy has "TOP SECRET" in the series' description even makes this more memorable!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the main thing about Waluigi is, Japanese game creators in general are generally more comfortable using characters they've made themselves, i.e. those that sell the danged games (which is why :ultdk:was once the ONLY returning DKC character for Jungle Beat, with Koizumi being quoted as saying the other ones weren't "fresh enough"), so since Waluigi is made by Camelot, they don't seem sure about seeing him do exciting stuff elsewhere (besides other multiplayer spin-offs, obviously).

The only way for him to get promoted at this point is if a huge shakeup happens, like how Nintendo Software Technology stopped making Mario Vs. DK sequels, leading to Pauline's big induction into the main Marioverse.

Also, who else is excited about Cuphead for Switch??

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Fair enough! Gotta say, I honestly never understood why Nintendo makes Waluigi so exclusive to the Mario spin-off titles either, considering how unique and popular he is. But what makes the most confusing of all is why doesn't Nintendo at least add Waluigi as a 2nd playable character in the Wario games! I've always seen those too as an unique duo of mischief and honestly it seems pretty awkward and lonely to see Wario all by himself! I remember there being a Flash internet series which was about a crossover between Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog, and it was called Super Mario Z (I was a big fan of it when I was 10)! And I remember that the scenes involving Wario and Waluigi were some of the best and funniest parts of the entire series! It just proves how much potential those two have if Nintendo explored their relationship better, and made them a real highclass duo just like Mario and Luigi!
Speaking of which, I remember there being a really good idea for a Wario and Waluigi game with a brilliant title: Wario and Waluigi: Partners in Crime!
Waluigi definitely deserves to be upgraded to playable status in main series Mario games. What first sparked my interest on the subject was all the rumors sounding Waluigi being hidden in Super Mario 64 DS, sort of like Luigi in Super Mario 64.

It just goes to show how much potential Waluigi has as a character.

Aah! I remember seeing Super Mario Bros. Z around YouTube back in the day, that was so many years ago. I completely forgot that series existed, but now I remember so many amazing things about it. The animation was definitely top notch!

Sorry but I'm pretty sure that Rare got bough by Microsoft only in the late year of 2002, while Smash Melee was already released in 2001 (a couple of months after Conker's Bad Fur Day), and (correct me if I'm wrong) while Nintendo wasn't planning on acquiring the full rights to Rare, they certainly weren't planning on selling the 49% percent of the rights they had to the company, the only reason why they sold all of their rights to Rareware waas because Microsoft soon bought the remaining 51% percent of the rights to their franchises, which made it pointless for them to still own a smaller amount of their content!

So I really don't get the licencing issue behind all of this, I mean, if Nintendo didn't have any of those problems in including the characters and content from Pokemon and Earthbound (two second party series)! Than I don't see how including Banjo Kazooie and Conker (at least) as trophies would lead them to copyright infrigement!
Also at the time, Dixie and King K.rool were still mostly part of Rare, since they're the ones who created them! But how on earth wasn't Diddy Kong included as a trophy too??? The best theory that I have is that he was also planned to be added as a playable fighter, but due to the small amount of time they had left, he eventually got scrapped!
Thank you for clearing this up for me, I was completely misinformed! It is sort of strange that Banjo and Conker didn't at least get trophies...

Wow, thanks for giving me that bit of info, I had no idea there was a Goldeneye trophy in Melee! What makes it so epic for me, is that 007 is the only fourth party franchise to ever get some of its content added in the whole Super Smash Bros series! And the fact that the trophy has "TOP SECRET" in the series' description even makes this more memorable!
No problem. 4th party content in Smash is definitely not something you hear everyday, and I'm glad it got to be there in Melee!

I think the main thing about Waluigi is, Japanese game creators in general are generally more comfortable using characters they've made themselves, i.e. those that sell the danged games (which is why :ultdk:was once the ONLY returning DKC character for Jungle Beat, with Koizumi being quoted as saying the other ones weren't "fresh enough"), so since Waluigi is made by Camelot, they don't seem sure about seeing him do exciting stuff elsewhere (besides other multiplayer spin-offs, obviously).

The only way for him to get promoted at this point is if a huge shakeup happens, like how Nintendo Software Technology stopped making Mario Vs. DK sequels, leading to Pauline's big induction into the main Marioverse.

Also, who else is excited about Cuphead for Switch??
That makes a lot of sense as to why Nintendo doesn't use Waluigi often. I'm hoping for some kind of shakeup because I truly believe the Mario series would benefit from Waluigi having a bigger presence.

Cuphead on the Switch is another great result of Microsoft and Nintendo's partnership. It's also a game I really want to try out! In other news, PolarPanda has a very credible source who is claiming Rare Replay is coming to the Switch! This is all around great news for Rare characters!
https://twitter.com/MultimediaHQ/status/1108525029371854848

TheBeastHimself

This is great news to me!

I'm not expecting Microsoft and Nintendo to pull out some huge project they've been working on, because it seems like they've only just begun to cooperate with each other recently. Adding games like Cuphead and other Microsoft-backed Xbox games to the Switch are the first steps in getting something huge from a Nintendo/Microsoft collaboration. The future is definitely looking bright, and I feel like this is the perfect time for a Microsoft character to join Smash. I have a strong feeling Sakurai and Nintendo will see this opportunity and take it, I'll honestly be surprised if we don't get someone from Microsoft as DLC.

This might mean nothing, but on the Rare end of things, things have been pretty silent. Their focus and top priority remains locked onto Sea of Thieves. I'm a little surprised that Rare hasn't mentioned anything about Microsoft and Nintendo becoming partners, since, you know, they used to work with Nintendo. This leads me to believe that Rare may have some special project they are working on for the Switch, whether it be Rare Replay, something Smash related, or something entirely different. Microsoft and Rare closely collaborate, I believe, so surely they must know about Microsoft's strengthening relationship with Nintendo. I definitely believe Rare Replay on the Switch is a possibility!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, the GDC came and went, and the only noteworthy Microsoft game news is for the Cuphead port (which was the highlight of Nindies anyway).

Yeah, I was certain nothing much would happen there. If they'll do a Smash reveal at all, it's obviously saved for E3, if even then.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was certain nothing much would happen there. If they'll do a Smash reveal at all, it's obviously saved for E3, if even then.
Lol Nintendo announced Super Smash Brothers Ultimate in a Direct! That just goes to show that they literally don't give a buck about E3.

EDit: 100th comment for me!!! Gonna get tanked Tonight!!!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Well, the GDC came and went, and the only noteworthy Microsoft game news is for the Cuphead port (which was the highlight of Nindies anyway).

E3 definitely seems like the type of event that would be reserved for a full on Microsoft-Nintendo partnership announcement or crossover of some kind. Nintendo Directs are reserved solely for Nintendo, and since Banjo is from Microsoft (one of the leading companies at E3), it just makes sense for him to be announced there. I'm just very excited to see what's in store for Nintendo and Microsoft, since it definitely seems like there's gonna be a lot more coming within the next few years. I also wonder what Sony's reaction is to all of this.

On another note, I made this:

Conker for Smash.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom