• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CanaDair

Smash Rookie
awesome I wouldnt consider myself ranked lol.. only thing close to a real tournament i have ever been to is the london bi-weeklies 3 years ago, i attended twice.

Hatcrab Zombie

Smash Cadet
I'll be in town this weekend but won't be able to compete in this - I'll come for friendlies but I need to leave early afternoon.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
I think he's just into inanimate objects and AI.

The realms of pleasure they open are supposedly boundless for his type of people.

unknown522

Some guy
The problem with a low tiers event is that because the characters are inherently bad, individual matches take really long. There is a similar problem with the amateur bracket, because of the players being lower level (and maybe playing bad characters too). Usually the players are missing the core basics an necessary ATs that will make matches go faster, unless it's a super one-sided match.

That being said though, I would much rather have a low tier event over amateur. But I think letting the lower level players have fun and being able to compete in an event is nice too

:phone:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I prefer Low Tiers to amateurs, getting ***** by Low tiers is more fun than getting ***** by Fox/Falco/Sheik/Marth

that being said, if you do do a Low tier tournament, make sure it's at a tournament I can actually go to.

Mewtwo da bess

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
The problem with a low tiers event is that because the characters are inherently bad, individual matches take really long. There is a similar problem with the amateur bracket, because of the players being lower level (and maybe playing bad characters too). Usually the players are missing the core basics an necessary ATs that will make matches go faster, unless it's a super one-sided match.

That being said though, I would much rather have a low tier event over amateur. But I think letting the lower level players have fun and being able to compete in an event is nice too

A low tier tourney would give the "amateurs" more play time, and since it goes straight to brackets it would also give them a chance to compete in brackets. Also, I think the skill gap between the higher level players and the "amateurs" would be a lot smaller in a Low tier tourney. In a way, a low tier tourney is sort of serving the same purpose as an amateur bracket. Either way, I'm still coming out to this tourney and I'm looking forward to it as always.

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
64+ Entrants
1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 7.5%
5th Place: 2.5%
7th Place: 1.25%

what about 6th place??

Cyan_

Smash Lord
There's two 5th places and two 7th places in double elimination style brackets.

unknown522

Some guy
A low tier tourney would give the "amateurs" more play time, and since it goes straight to brackets it would also give them a chance to compete in brackets. Also, I think the skill gap between the higher level players and the "amateurs" would be a lot smaller in a Low tier tourney. In a way, a low tier tourney is sort of serving the same purpose as an amateur bracket. Either way, I'm still coming out to this tourney and I'm looking forward to it as always.
half true

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Ahhhhh, how do you guys make such long posts? I keep getting distracted and deleting (I have done this 4 times) what I wrote because I think I'm saying dumb things. So I'm just gonna put bullet points and then expand if anyone asks me something cause, lyke, that's how we do it... in the ghetto.

- An amateur bracket would be better because it allows equally skilled players to compete and grow against each other, as well as playing against high level players in the pools themselves. Plus, it still keeps the same "atmosphere" of being in the actual bracket. I know I was mad nervous throughout it regardless of it being a "diluted version" (not trying to insult the bracket, I like the idea, but I just couldn't think of any other way to describe it) of the normal bracket

- It would save time if you had an 8-man pool (depending on attendance) where top 4 make it out and bottom 4 go to amateurs. If you weren't to have this, there would be a bigger bracket due to more people making it out, on top of a low tiers side event where everyone can join. (I think, not sure)

- I don't see many people using low tiers. Also, for Hammertime's point of allowing them to compete in brackets, it's probably not the same to mess around with a different character as opposed to your main (I don't see too many people maining low tiers)

- uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

- This is the part where I'm tuning out and going to go take a shower, if I think of anything I'll build a deck of cards and send it to Peru, or post about it.

Also, Round Robin was fun to play a lot of doubles matches, it was just a little disorganized and I had no idea who I had to play or when half the time. Was kind of tired of it when it was stacked with singles and I had to switch between the two periodically. I don't mean to direct blame towards Ryan though, I know he was working really hard.

Welp, that took 50 minutes...

I'm reading this and I have that hankering feeling of being that guy who brings about the "it's hard to please everyone thing." Sorry if that's the case D;

idea

Smash Master
meh, i used to be all for low tiers, but then we actually tried it once, and it turned out to be really slow and kind of boring. and it was basically just luigi vs. zelda a lot. (i think we allowed some of mid tier)

Top Bottom