• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5/17 GIGABITS - May I have another Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
Just get tired of the OMAIGAWDMELEE>BRAWL.
Its like, okay, pretty much everyone agrees, i dont need to be reminded.

CRANK DAT CHUMBA WUMBA
thats why there are so many retarted threads on comparing melee to brawl. i swear i'm sick of it. in my opinion, brawl is waaayyyy better than melee. its more balanced. no offense to all, but i hope melee will die down, slowly at least.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Ginger: You never played Melee, exactly.

People like Brawl because they are actually winning matches even if they don't play the game.

Like me.
Mmmm, deliciously true story, I beat Ryan (Hunter)'s Falco two nights ago, go figure ;D Someday I'll be able to bull**** my way through a tournament win, too!

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
Alright! Long time no post.

Here is the breakdown, and a little bit of math for you guys. Don't worry, you won't have to do the math. I've already done it.

As I said way in the beginning of this thread, I plan on changing the prize payout to where if there are more than 90 players, I will give out the prizes in a 35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5 format. That means that if there is the bare minimum, the prizes will be
1st: $472.50
2nd: $202.50
3rd: $135.00
4th: $67.50
5-6th: $33.75

That is the MINIMUM that will be made using that format. Not bad at all, considering now that 6 people will get paid, and at least get double of what they paid for.

Now, if there are less than 90, we'll go by the new 40/15/10/5 format. The MAXIMUM that can be made with this format (meaning if 89 people show up) will be
1st: $534.00
2nd: $200.25
3rd: $133.50
4th: $66.75

Not bad at all! Now lets say that our full 128 show up, here is what the payout will be
1st: $672.00
2nd: $288.00
3rd: $192.00
4th: $96.00
5-6th: $48.00

I'll avoid the math on the next part, but the 2v2 format will go by a 40/20/10 payout now. So that way 3rd place makes twice as much and just might make more than what they paid for ;)

Now, for the preliminaries. I really have a lot of good feelings for the separate brackets for the qualifiers. The format for this would be dividing everybody fairly (according to their seeding points) into four brackets, and from those brackets the top 8 or less (if less people show) will advance on to a final bracket where they won't play members of their own bracket for at least the first round. This allows the qualification process to go by A LOT faster, and it might be a little more enjoyable and dynamic. I thought of the 2 stock pool idea for some time, but somebody said before that it doesn't really glorify comebacks, and what good would that be?

So for this tournament, we will try the bracketed qualifiers and we'll see how that works out for you guys. The payout system is from here on out, though!

Questions/thoughts/comments/criticisms/complaints/givemeallyourlovin'?

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
Melee will never die!

brawl is now the main course, and melee is the side item, they go hand in hand.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman

People like Brawl because they are actually winning matches even if they don't play the game.

Like me.
no, noobs can't win so easily. yes the game is easier to pick up, and yes, characters are easier to train with in some way, but if you haven't played melee, you probably won't have any idea what your doing. i like brawl because its more balanced. no more do we have broken characters like fox or marth to deal with (but they are still good.) rookies won't win right away, but they can practice to get better.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Brawl is definitely not as balanced as Melee. There isn't a single matchup in Melee that is as bad as Marth/Ness or DDD/MK.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2

Like me.
brawl is more about reacting, reading your opponent, and spacing. Not that melee wasnt, but brawl is more heavily focused on it

thats probably why you still win in brawl when you dont play it, because you learned that aspect of the game through all those years of melee.

btw, i like brawl because i get to play a monkey that not only uses a gun, but also literally pulls bananas from his ***. its too good

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Lots of stuff
Your post was a big bucket of win. Just to make sure, to get the top 8 or so from each bracket, you are following what fenrir said a few pages back? im not sure what page, but it was something along the lines of playing out the bracket until only 4 winners and 4 losers remain, then stopping there.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I think brawl is better, main reason is being a yoshi main and he was TERRIBLE in melee, gimp city much? But yeah melee was still a fun game and I didn't do too bad even though I never wave dashed, side stepped or L-cancelled so many things I had to remember and doing all those things every match is constant **** on my poor little controller.

PS: Why isn't anyone discussing how good SSB64 is?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
LMAO @ brawl being more balanced!!!

:colorful:
qdvs! it wouldnt be a melee/brawl discussion without you and your rainbow face here somehow

while you are here, i demand to hear the story of your name

S4MUS4theW1nN

Smash Apprentice
Oh, can you call then, or we can just talk here.

Anyways, I was going to see if you could get me on your way because i live right off of 75 on the way to st.pete.

Btw are you going to go to spring hill the next day?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Oh, can you call then, or we can just talk here.

Anyways, I was going to see if you could get me on your way because i live right off of 75 on the way to st.pete.

Btw are you going to go to spring hill the next day?
im sorry man. i just mapquested to pm's house and i dont even take 75 to get there

Frames

DI
I think brawl is better, main reason is being a yoshi main and he was TERRIBLE in melee, gimp city much? But yeah melee was still a fun game and I didn't do too bad even though I never wave dashed, side stepped or L-cancelled so many things I had to remember and doing all those things every match is constant **** on my poor little controller.

Actually I think that Yoshi was better in melee, he's still pretty bad overall, but being able to DJC aerials was always good, also, his egg roll thing can't work as a recovery anymore, no ECE's, plus with brawl, we get this great new shield system, and poor Yoshi still can't do anything but hide in that stupid egg. Some things about him have changed for the better, like the fake third jump they gave him, and the fact that his aerials do more damage, but overall I don't think it's enough to make him better than he was in melee.

?!?

Smash Lord
Holla at me if you need to hire a teams partner. I
brawl is not as balanced as people thought when it came out. so far its still not too unbalanced but little by little those infinites are gonna gett annoying in the future and yea i dont like it that some characters get completly countered like ddd vs dk thats just stupid melee wasnt that bad lol

Zoro

Smash Champion
You know what i get tired of hearing?

People complaining about hearing about melee
when melee has been out for ****in 7 years and left a huge impact on most of us

Of course we are going to compare it in every way

Its only been 2 months of course we are gonna talk about melee alot

Just let us yap about the good days gtfo smashboards and go to allisbrawl or quit the internet for a year and hope melee has died.

Noobs

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)

Actually I think that Yoshi was better in melee, he's still pretty bad overall, but being able to DJC aerials was always good, also, his egg roll thing can't work as a recovery anymore, no ECE's, plus with brawl, we get this great new shield system, and poor Yoshi still can't do anything but hide in that stupid egg. Some things about him have changed for the better, like the fake third jump they gave him, and the fact that his aerials do more damage, but overall I don't think it's enough to make him better than he was in melee.

Have any of you guys played S(Princ)Kull(ce)?

He's my brother.

Easily the best brawl yoshi in FL.

Too beast...

Zoro

Smash Champion
no, noobs can't win so easily. yes the game is easier to pick up, and yes, characters are easier to train with in some way, but if you haven't played melee, you probably won't have any idea what your doing. i like brawl because its more balanced. no more do we have broken characters like fox or marth to deal with (but they are still good.) rookies won't win right away, but they can practice to get better.
I beat people with link

Dguy owns people with mewtwo who is considered bottom tier

Yes its harder to do good with them but it isnt impossible it just takes practice and not just 2 minute i just picked up brawl practice. Im talkin about years.

People that have never touched melee are still very very good where have you been?

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I think you beat people with Link because you have the backing from being good at the game in general, not because Brawl is easier. Maybe I misread and this is the exact point you're trying to make, but I'm just saying. I watch people around me pick up random characters that they don't play and still be good with them just because they have a lot of smash-in-general experience, whereas someone like me can't do that so well because I went 64 -> Brawl.

Not trying to step on anyones toes, just saying what I think. :X

Zoro

Smash Champion
I beat people with link IN MELEE
i dont even wanna touch brawl link

he was sayin how brawl is more balanced and certain chars were broken
but i was sayin i actually main link and still do well

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Best brawl yoshi in FL? Do I smell a yoshi ditto match that HAS to be played? I think I do :laugh:
you were good gindler..but i think my boy Hiro is better

only problem is, i gotta find a way to drag him to a tourney or a smashfest so you can see it for yourself. He likes in gainesville so it isnt exactly easy.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Eh I'm alright, your diddy ***** though...Oh god, Hiro? I heard he ***** too. Ha, I never claimed to be the best, I just like to try and knock people down a peg or two. :laugh:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Eh I'm alright, your diddy ***** though...Oh god, Hiro? I heard he ***** too. Ha, I never claimed to be the best, I just like to try and knock people down a peg or two. :laugh:
I think we thinking of different Hiro's. My boy Hiro shouldn't be well known at all..he doesnt go to tourneys or post on the boards (although hes probably a lurker). I wish he did though...I think he'd do well, but he wont skip out on Jacon saturday to come to this on 5/17 like me.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
but he wont skip out on Jacon saturday to come to this on 5/17 like me.
I'm skipping out on it D: But if I get eliminated from doubles early I'll probably try to go by there, I have a lot of friends I wanna see that are probably going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom