• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
If you think that banana is an advantage tool, would you say the same for Witch Time? Both serve the same purpose of limiting the other player's options in neutral, making them neutral tools.

A good advantage tool is one that makes your advantage state stronger by getting more damage off a single hit.
A good neutral tool is one that puts you into advantage state more of the time by making it more likely to get the first hit.

Banana and Witch Time both fall under the latter category, unless you're referring to banana combos, in which case banana can be an advantage tool, but not an OP one.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
If you think that banana is an advantage tool, would you say the same for Witch Time? Both serve the same purpose of limiting the other player's options in neutral, making them neutral tools.

A good advantage tool is one that makes your advantage state stronger by getting more damage off a single hit.
A good neutral tool is one that puts you into advantage state more of the time by making it more likely to get the first hit.

Banana and Witch Time both fall under the latter category, unless you're referring to banana combos, in which case banana can be an advantage tool, but not an OP one.
If you want to look at it that way then yeah I would see how it falls in under as a neutral tool. The pressure of his banana in hand is what I'm looking at more and how it can affect neutral to a point where just holding it gives him a advantage more so in some MUs than others.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I think he means GOML 2.

Add Elegant + Supergirlkels 2-1 Nairo + Tweek to upsets.
Yeah. Opps. Might as well re-post this to the new page.

List of Upsets for GOML 2018 (Updated as the event continues)
VoiD:4sheik:NAKAT:4ness: (vs) Venom:4ryu:Smokk:4diddy: 1-2 (Brudders unite.)
Nairo:4zss:Tweek:4cloud2: (vs) Elegant:4luigi:SuperGirlKels:4sonic: 1-2
ESAM:4pikachu:MVD:4diddy::4cloud: (vs) Elegant:4luigi:SuperGirlKels:4sonic: 2-3
MKLeo:4cloud2: Mistake:4bayonetta2::4peach::4robinf: (vs) ANTi:4mario:Samsora:4peach: 2-3 (An upset because MKLeo is part of it.)
MKLeo:4cloud2:Mistake:4bayonetta2: (vs) Elegant:4luigi:SuperGirlKels:4sonic: 1-3
ANTi:4cloud::4mario: (vs) LetsTickle:4corrinf: 0-2
Fatality:4falcon: (vs) Glutonny:4wario: 2-3

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
{Opps. Sorry for the double posting. RIP}

[Moved to the next page]

GOML 2018 (A Tier) (446 Entrants) (Of course, going to be updated)

1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
5th:
7th:
7th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
13th:
13th:
13th:
13th:
17th:
17th:
17th:
17th:
17th:
17th:
17th:
17th:
25th:
25th:
25th:
25th:
25th:
25th:
25th: blanc:4wendy:
25th: Venom:4ryu:
Notable Players Out Earlier:
33rd: K9sbruce:4diddy::4sheik:
33rd: Meru:4peach:
33rd: Scot!:4luigi:
33rd: Blank:4sheik:
33rd: Glare:4bayonetta2:
49th: SuperGirlKels:4sonic:
49th: Smokk:4diddy:
49th: Deathorse:4mewtwo::4wario2:
49th: V115:4zss:
49th: Big D:4mario::4falcon:
49th: Poke:4luigi:
49th: Alphicans:4wiremac:
65th: Kiraflax:4pit::4darkpit:
65th: Firefly:4yoshi:
65th: VoiD:4sheik: (DQ'ed)
257th: Angel Cortez:4diddy: (DQ'ed)
257th: Cosmos:4corrinf: (DQ'ed)
257th: Mr. R:4sheik: (DQ'ed)
257th: pu55yk1ng:4littlemac: (DQ'ed)

GOML 2018 Doubles (119 Entrants)
1st: Elegant:4luigi:SuperGirlKels:4sonic:
2nd: MKLeo:4cloud2:Mistake:4bayonetta2:
3rd: Samsora:4peach:ANTi:4mario:
4th: ESAM:4pikachu:MVD:4cloud::4diddy:
5th: VoiD:4sheik:NAKAT:4ness:
5th: Glutonny:4wario:Meru:4peach:
7th: Smokk:4diddy::4cloud:Venom:4ryu:
7th: Fatality:4falcon:WaDi:4mewtwo:
9th: Glare:4bayonetta2:Blacktwins:4cloud2:
9th: Vapor:4bayonetta::4corrin:Asprey:4cloud2::4dk:
9th: Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta2:Nairo:4lucina:
9th: Strike:4sheik:Razor Devil
13th: K9sbruce:4sheik:KiraFlax:4pit:
13th: Lima:4bayonetta2:Akashi:4cloud:
13th: THUNDER:4ryu:Chris Fisch:4diddy:
13th: Firefly:4yoshi: Big D:4mario:

Battle Arena Melbourne 10 (C Tier) (187 Entrants)
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
5th:
7th:
7th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
9th:

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I know Mistake wanted to have fun that set, but why go Robin? MkLeo probably had some terrible thoughts in his head, but eh. They could still come back from this. Anyways, I had no idea Ninkendo was commentating!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So I've been actively watching doubles today and Elegant + Kels (Kelegant) beat Samsora + Anti 3-2 to go to GFs.

Honestly? Since the double Cloud ban, I've been WAY more interested in doubles now. It's actually hype to watch, and a lot more balanced. I'm praying the double Cloud ban stays in effect permanently, because these doubles are some of the best I've seen in Smash 4's lifespan.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
So I've been actively watching doubles today and Elegant + Kels (Kelegant) beat Samsora + Anti 3-2 to go to GFs.

Honestly? Since the double Cloud ban, I've been WAY more interested in doubles now. It's actually hype to watch, and a lot more balanced. I'm praying the double Cloud ban stays in effect permanently, because these doubles are some of the best I've seen in Smash 4's lifespan.
Double Cloud hasn't been an issue though, as many people pointed out when GOML announced it. The issue is Cloud period - and as VoiD says, the strength of grab in doubles in general.

Smash n' Splash addresses the actual issue, which is Cloud period.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Double Cloud hasn't been an issue though, as many people pointed out when GOML announced it. The issue is Cloud period - and as VoiD says, the strength of grab in doubles in general.

Smash n' Splash addresses the actual issue, which is Cloud period.
Solo Cloud is still far and away the best double character yeah cause of set ups, limit camp, fixable recovery etc. But the results of single cloud dominance isn't evident yet, whereas double clouds won all double tournaments, it needed to be altered quick. If single cloud dominanted for a couple of months,then a ban can be warranted too, but banning double clouds ruffled so many people that they could just be making it a weaning process. People would have been much more opposed if no cloud whatsoever was in effect when results haven't had a chance to play out yet.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Solo Cloud is still far and away the best double character yeah cause of set ups, limit camp, fixable recovery etc. But the results of single cloud dominance isn't evident yet, whereas double clouds won all double tournaments, it needed to be altered quick. If single cloud dominanted for a couple of months,then a ban can be warranted too, but banning double clouds ruffled so many people that they could just be making it a weaning process. People would have been much more opposed if no cloud whatsoever was in effect when results haven't had a chance to play out yet.
I meant that @Das Koopa has shown it with numbers. Double Cloud hasn't won much - single Cloud is the real issue for doubles. People feel like they need a Cloud on their team to compete. So GOML actually missed the message by a bit.

Smash n' Splash banned him from doubles entirely as a result.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Honestly Elegant and SuperGirlKels deserved that win. MKLeo and Mistake was both flubbing very badly and trying to go for the disrespect all the time.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
If anyone had a friendly be on Elegant and SGK winning doubles, they just won a lot of money...I mean I didn't expect it. Congrats Kelegant! Can't wait for VODs

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Mr. R, Cosmos, and pu55yk1ng all DQ'ed from the event. Mr. R DQ'ed because he overslept and missed his pool RIP.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
GOML'S UPSET LIST!
ANTi :4mario::4cloud2: lost to Lets Tickle:4corrinf: 2-0!
Venom :4ryu: lost to Strike :4sheik:3-0!
Blank :4sheik: lost to Blanc:4wendy: 3-0!
Fatality :4falcon: lost to Gluttony :4wario: 3-2!
Dabuz :rosalina: lost to komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic: 3-1!

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
To add insult to injury for Sheik,apparently Void dropped out due to personal reasons just now.
He said in his Twitter prior to the event that he wasn't feeling very good. He got 65th overall.

However, that also means that blanc:4wendy: is in top 64 winner's side.

Iridium

Smash Hero
He said in his Twitter prior to the event that he wasn't feeling very good. He got 65th overall.

However, that also means that blanc:4wendy: is in top 64 winner's side.
I have also heard that Dabuz got DQ'd, but I will check to make sure.
Edit: Nope. Twitch chat lied again.

Also, ESAM :4pikachu: 2-1 Meru :4peach:, so yeah.

Mistake :4bayonetta2: 3-0 Elegant :4luigi: with one of the most anticlimactic finishes I have ever seen. He killed Elegant, then immediately spiked him about 5 seconds later to end him at 20%.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Strike:4sheik: 3-0 Venom :4ryu: with a near dominant display, almost getting a 6-stock! Venom is out at 25th.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
I know Mistake wanted to have fun that set, but why go Robin? MkLeo probably had some terrible thoughts in his head, but eh. They could still come back from this. Anyways, I had no idea Ninkendo was commentating!
Robin-Cloud isn't a terrible team comp. Each has a bunch of bull**** that the other can give them free setups into. In particular, the fact that all of Robin's aerials save nair and smash attacks have the electric property isn't super helpful for him in singles, as his mobility significantly limits his follow-up options, but in doubles, your partner can basically get whatever followups they want afterwards, which is especially useful when your partner has Finishing Touch. Basically, both have a bunch of stupid kill moves and a bunch of moves that will let the other land their stupid kill moves.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
blanc is showing the works today, even if he got bodied by MVD.

Btw, the results of this tournament is showed at my comment above and it obviously will get updated as the event goes on. It also includes doubles for the tournament as well as Battle Arena Melbourne 10.

Iridium

Smash Hero
blanc :4wendy: 3-0 Blank :4sheik: in losers. Blank played so strangely this entire set, and he died to a lot of rage and SDs, but this is a good performance from a Koopaling main.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
blanc :4wendy: 3-0 Blank :4sheik: in losers. Blank played so strangely this entire set, and he died to a lot of rage and SDs, but this is a good performance from a Koopaling main.
DSS :4metaknight: 3-0 blanc :4wendy: with a dominant performance to immediately end his losers run. Good performance from blanc though.
gluttony 3-2 fatality
aaaaaaand it was offstream for who knows why
What did Fatality place? Honestly not surprised Glutonny won, as he already beat him before.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
DSS :4metaknight: 3-0 blanc :4wendy: with a dominant performance to immediately end his losers run. Good performance from blanc though.

What did Fatality place? Honestly not surprised Glutonny won, as he already beat him before.
Fatality is in loser's now. I don't remember those two facing off before...

Iridium

Smash Hero
Fatality is in loser's now. I don't remember those two facing off before...
My mind is mangled right now. Anyways, SGK is dealing with Z to not get 49th right now.

Edit: Z :4mewtwo: 2-1 SGK :4sonic: for 49th. Very tragic, considering how she won doubles with Elegant. She just got double eliminated by Mewtwo. The_Bookworm The_Bookworm , this is for you.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
ANTi :4mario: 3-0 K9sbruce :4diddy::4sheik: in a dominant performance to stay alive in losers. The ending to game 2 was just chaotic yet hilarious.

Komorikiri :4cloud2:(:4sonic:?) 3-1 Dabuz :rosalina:! This is great, right Lord Dio Lord Dio ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom