• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I don't think Mario really struggles to kill. Granted, he's not good at it, but he has a decent killthrow and bair in neutral, and usmash in advantage.
Mario's bair doesn't kill in neutral at all. From midstage, it's killing at like 160~ without rage. Needs to be by the ledge or offstage.

I wouldn't say he's BAD at killing, but he really only has usmash and bthrow from neutral. And some chars are really good at playing around those.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Pretty much. Also, reaction times in fighting games are given way too much weight. Situational awareness and/or identification of player tendencies coupled with an experiential knowledge base leads to anticipation/reaction scenarios which can also lead to predictions.

Good reaction time can certainly help in certain situations, but ultimately, fighters are based on mind games. The skill to condition your opponent, and your skill to anticipate and react optimally will always win out.

It’s why Daigo still beats down newer, younger players in an FT10 setting.
Just saw Armada tweet this, and thought of this thread:

Daigo is the Zero of Street Fighter.
Let's not even get it twisted. I'm a big ZeRo fan, believe me. But Daigo is much more than that.

His legacy is beyond amazing. A full-fledged celebrity in Japan, and the greatest SF player to exist.

That reminds me, I still need to finish his book.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
What was that a response to?
You can click on the tweet itself to see. But for convenience:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
You can click on the tweet itself to see. But for convenience:

Interesting reply, I agree with what the keits said.

Nah

Smash Champion
Uhh, citation needed?
I took a look around and found some ****:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0094215
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586814/
https://ac.els-cdn.com/S18777058173...t=1523475536_9613ad39de561a6a3f66488a71439004
https://psychcentral.com/news/2010/...onnections-slows-our-reaction-time/18031.html

Assuming the information is legit, it seems that reaction time gets better from birth to somewhere in the 20's (one of the things says 24 specifically), then declines as one gets older. Though from my skimming it seemed like it's not completely agreed upon, and there's potentially other factors that would affect a person's reaction time.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
J0eyboi J0eyboi Toot-toot is true at certain percents for all characters, but it fails to go into a 50/50 state after that because of how UAir works. It does require reading DI and knowing how to jump to get the most off of it, though. Molk Molk knows more about it than I do.
Not only that, but the first hit of up air can just randomly not properly connect to the second hit, which makes his kill confirm (that is true) the worst in the game.
#buffthetoottoot
Roy's disjoints are barely worse than Marth's. Sure, he gets less reward for spacing (except that's not even necessarily true because Roy's sourspots are often more effective combo starters than his sweetspots and Roy's combo game is better than Marth's), and sure, many of his moves have shorter range than Marth's, but Roy shouldn't be the posterchild for bad disjoints. You're thinking of Pit.
You do realize Roy has the second shortest sword in the game (with Mii Swordfighter being the worse). Roy can't really properly space despite his air speed, due to his high gravity, slow air acceleration, and unsafe aerials (in addition of both having his sourspots at the end of the blade (which has low shieldstun) and the sword size nerf from Melee). Btw, that is the first time I heard of Roy having a better combo game than Marth's. His combo game is potent at low percents, but are inconsistent at later percents, as his sourspoted combo game require extreme precision and only work at specific percents (while his sourspots are inferior to Marth's).

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Not only that, but the first hit of up air can just randomly not properly connect to the second hit, which makes his kill confirm (that is true) the worst in the game.
#buffthetoottoot

You do realize Roy has the second shortest sword in the game (with Mii Swordfighter being the worse). Roy can't really properly space despite his air speed, due to his high gravity, slow air acceleration, and unsafe aerials (in addition of both having his sourspots at the end of the blade (which has low shieldstun) and the sword size nerf from Melee). Btw, that is the first time I heard of Roy having a better combo game than Marth's. His combo game is potent at low percents, but are inconsistent at later percents, as his sourspoted combo game require extreme precision and only work at specific percents (while his sourspots are inferior to Marth's).
Roy also relies on reads to ko at higher percentages, this can prove difficult however due to the inconsistentcy of his sweet spots. Being a fast faller doesn't help when he has no reliable options to break out of combos.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Roy also relies on reads to ko at higher percentages, this can prove difficult however due to the inconsistentcy of his sweet spots. Being a fast faller doesn't help when he has no reliable options to break out of combos.
I'm actually going to revise what I said, and say that his high gravity doesn't entirely harm his approach itself (similarly to Fox's fast faller status), but it makes it so that you get punished hard for a misjudged approach.

Edit: unlike heavyweights, this high gravity also translates into offstage as well.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
You do realize Roy has the second shortest sword in the game (with Mii Swordfighter being the worse).
Gonna hafta stop you right there, because you clearly didn't do your research here. I don't know exactly how long every sword is, but Levinless Robin and the Pits both have shorter ones for sure, and I'd bet MK and Too Link do, too. Also, go look at the hitboxes for Marth and Roy. Their swords are basically the same size.

Roy can't really properly space despite his air speed, due to his high gravity, slow air acceleration, and unsafe aerials (in addition of both having his sourspots at the end of the blade (which has low shieldstun) and the sword size nerf from Melee).
Wow, wrong again! It's almost like you should do reasearch on these things so you don't embarrass yourself! Every single one of Roy's aerials save dair is safe when spaced (and Roy can totally space properly) and about as safe as or safer than Marth's. Roy's shield pressure game is as good as, if not better than, Marth's.

Btw, that is the first time I heard of Roy having a better combo game than Marth's. His combo game is potent at low percents, but are inconsistent at later percents, as his sourspoted combo game require extreme precision and only work at specific percents (while his sourspots are inferior to Marth's).
Really? You never heard or even considered that Roy, the character who is faster than Marth, does more damage than Marth, gets more off of grabs than Marth, and has overall better frame data than Marth, might have a better combo game than Marth, a character who rarely gets more than 30% from a single combo? Really? Also, literally everything you just said there except for the bit about inferior sourspots(which isn't really even true) applies to Marth.

Roy also relies on reads to ko at higher percentages
For ****s sake, guys. Every single one of Roy's grounded moves can either kill or confirm into a kill at high percents, and so can all his aerials save dair (spikes don't count). Roy does not rely on reads to kill.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Gonna hafta stop you right there, because you clearly didn't do your research here. I don't know exactly how long every sword is, but Levinless Robin and the Pits both have shorter ones for sure, and I'd bet MK and Too Link do, too.

Wow, wrong again! It's almost like you should do reasearch on these things so you don't embarrass yourself! Every single one of Roy's aerials save dair is safe when spaced (and Roy can totally space properly) and about as safe or safer than Marth's. Roy's shield pressure game is as good as, if not better than, Marth's.

Really? You never heard or even considered that Roy, the character who is faster than Marth, does more damage than Marth, gets more off of grabs than Marth, and has overall better frame data than Marth, might have a better combo game than Marth, a character who rarely gets more than 30% from a single combo? Really? Also, literally everything you just said there except for the bit about inferior sourspots(which isn't really even true) applies to Marth.

For ****s sake, guys. Every single one of Roy's grounded moves can either kill or confirm into a kill at high percents, and so can all his aerials save dair (spikes don't count). Roy does not rely on reads to kill.
You make Roy sound like that he is a upper mid, or even high tier character. If he really has all of those tools in his disposal, then why isn't his players getting any results to back this up? How exactly is his spaced aerials safe? His grounded moves (save up smash) need a sweetspot hit to kill, and have noticeable end lag. I did plenty of research (although levenless Robin does have smaller range and maybe TLink's is smaller than Roy's, but he has an array of projectiles and good frame data).

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
You make Roy sound like that he is a upper mid, or even high tier character. If he really has all of those tools in his disposal, then why isn't his players getting any results to back this up?
Of course I do, I didn't mention that he's basically the second most comboable character in the game behind Falcon and has a bottom tier recovery. Also, his players aren't getting any results because he has so few of them.

How exactly is his spaced aerials safe?
This is how I can tell you didn't do your research. None of Roy's sourspotted aerials are worse than -2 on drop (Most of Marth's are -3, btw). For reference, Mario's upsmash is still considered somewhat safe despite being -13 on drop and having no range, Bayo's dtilt is considered safe at -7 on drop, and Marth's fair is -1 on drop when sweetspotted. Seriously, look at this spreadsheet sometime, it's great. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GaDXAPQJlz0AiIYSSOWFwy_dg04Rrq4a-YF9-VDOhZI/htmlview#

his grounded moves (save up smash) need a sweetspot hit to kill, and have noticeable end lag.
Jab and dtilt, his best grounded moves, can both confirm off sourspotted hits. And besides his smash attacks, which all kill early as ****, and uptilt, all his grounded moves are also very safe.

As if that should matter.
It kinda should. People tend to over and undervalue certain qualities in theory, which can lead to people thinking Yoshi is top tier and Olimar is low tier. Results certainly have their place.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I was never really one of those "magic results is everything!" people, as character viability and all that is not quite as simplistic as raw results, but there comes a point where one does have to take them into account. Data is necessary to some degree to prove/disprove theory. It'd be like if you proposed a scientific hypothesis and then refused to conduct experiments see if it was valid or not.

I never understood what was the deal with you on this and people pointing out mistakes in top-level players' play.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
User was warned for this post
I was never really one of those "magic results is everything!" people, as character viability and all that is not quite as simplistic as raw results, but there comes a point where one does have to take them into account. Data is necessary to some degree to prove/disprove theory. It'd be like if you proposed a scientific hypothesis and then refused to conduct experiments see if it was valid or not.

I never understood what was the deal with you on this and people pointing out mistakes in top-level players' play.
I mean, it's not like tier lists are word of god or anything.

It kinda should. People tend to over and undervalue certain qualities in theory, which can lead to people thinking Yoshi is top tier and Olimar is low tier. Results certainly have their place.
Oh, shut up already. Do I have to take you seriously or something?

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Of course I do, I didn't mention that he's basically the second most comboable character in the game behind Falcon and has a bottom tier recovery. Also, his players aren't getting any results because he has so few of them.

This is how I can tell you didn't do your research. None of Roy's sourspotted aerials are worse than -2 on drop (Most of Marth's are -3, btw). For reference, Mario's upsmash is still considered somewhat safe despite being -13 on drop and having no range, Bayo's dtilt is considered safe at -7 on drop, and Marth's fair is -1 on drop when sweetspotted. Seriously, look at this spreadsheet sometime, it's great. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GaDXAPQJlz0AiIYSSOWFwy_dg04Rrq4a-YF9-VDOhZI/htmlview#

Jab and dtilt, his best grounded moves, can both confirm off sourspotted hits. And besides his smash attacks, which all kill early as ****, and uptilt, all his grounded moves are also very safe.

First of all, Mario's have surprisingly good horizontal range for an up smash. Second of all, -2 on drop isn't too large especially considering the above mentioned issues with his aerial approach and sword size. Third of all, jab and dtilt does not kill confirm off of sourspot hits (I have no idea where you got that idea from), as they give little hitstun and the angle doesn't work into it. His grounded moves suffer from below average range (pretty much his entire moveset does sans up smash) for a swordsman and noticeable ending lag.

At this point it is no use trying to convince you.

I do agree with you on the results stance though. Kinda funny you said it considering your stance with Roy.
It is not always everything, but it is a way of proving your strengths or theory. Characters like Corrin and Luigi does end up holding out what people says about them (for the most part), but characters like Yoshi or Lucas, not so much.
I mean, it's not like tier lists are word of god or anything.
A Bowser Jr. and Zelda got 25th on Battle for Vegas, so you are right on that.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Data is necessary to some degree to prove/disprove theory. It'd be like if you proposed a scientific hypothesis and then refused to conduct experiments see if it was valid or not.
Well, with scientific hypotheses, you could be inciting a change in the real world.

Here is just a medium of entertainment.

EDIT: Perhaps I could also add objectivity vs subjectivity. With scientific experiments, subjectivity only comes into play when it comes to observation. Subjectivity, in this game's case, applies to a much broader spectrum (tier placements, player interaction, effectiveness of technique). Objectivity, for the latter, only applies to frame data and hitboxes.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Ok, looks like some people have misinterpreted my information. Toot-Toot is the worst kill confirm in the game, as Bookworm has said. Roy does have a pretty good disjoint, I said "even Roy beats GnW" because Roy is generally considered to be the worst/second worst sword character. (Although I don't really think that). Despite Roy's aerials being less negative on shield, they are still less ranged than Marth's. Also, Mario can kill, not sure were this belief propagated from, as Mario has very good Smash attacks, Up-Air to Up-B strings, and Back-Air. Fair can also kill at ludicrously low percents as well. I really do think that GnW is a character that thrives not off of being good, but off of matchup experience.

Marcina and Roy Dsicords both say Marth has a better combo game, because spacing actually can allow Marth to get 30% in a combo. Roy has garbage aerial mobility, so spacing with Roy is mainly ground-based, while Marth can space in the air as well. Marth also benefits much more from spacing well, so Roy's spacing game is actually pretty meh, as he actually is harmed slightly by spacing. Roy relies mostly off of low percent combos to rack up damage and then get a kill.

Also, to be completely honest, my answer before was mostly out of annoyance due to FeelMeUp's comment. While I respect his knowledge, that comment was just insulting.

Edit: In response to RK, yes, I know that Daigo is much more than I said he was. I just compared him to ZeRo because that was the only Smash player who comes even close to having the star-power of Daigo. Daigo himself is a FGC legend, and he truly is the Beast.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
First of all, Mario's have surprisingly good horizontal range for an up smash.
"For an upsmash" is an incredibly low bar to clear, and every one of Roy's aerials save dair has more.

Second of all, -2 on drop isn't too large especially considering the above mentioned issues with his aerial approach and sword size.
Roy doesn't have issues with his approach unless you're playing him horribly wrong. Sure, he has bad aerial drift, but all you have to do to mitigate that is not jump forward. Ryu doesn't have problems spacing, so why would Roy? Also, none of Roy's aerials have bad range except dair and arguably fair. Nair in particular, his best aerial for approaching, has about the same horizontal range as Cloud's, though it's nowhere near as disjointed. Third, his aerials that are -2 are sour bair and uair, neither of which he uses in neutral. His Nair and fair are both +-0 sourspotted and +2 sweetspotted.

Third of all, jab and dtilt does not kill confirm off of sourspot hits (I have no idea where you got that idea from), as they give little hitstun and the angle doesn't work into it.
I might be wrong on jab, I forget whether jab>up-B works off sourspot jab, but sour dtilt sets up techchases starting at ~80, meaning it has a 30% chance of confirming to Fsmash past 100.

His grounded moves suffer from below average range (pretty much his entire moveset does sans up smash) for a swordsman and noticeable ending lag.
Ignoring that the point in parentheses is untrue, Roy's fast enough to make up for the lack of range on his grounded moves.

At this point it is no use trying to convince you.
Convince me of what? That Roy is bad? Because I agree with you on that. He's not a good character, but he doesn't have any of the problems you seem to think he does. His neutral and killpower are actually pretty good, and he's decent at landing, too, but he's liable to lose a stock off one mistake, and free as **** to edgeguard.

I do agree with you on the results stance though. Kinda funny you said it considering your stance with Roy.
I don't know where you got the idea that I think Roy's good. You can make anyone outside bottom tier sound good if you don't mention their flaws.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Ok, looks like some people have misinterpreted my information. Toot-Toot is the worst kill confirm in the game, as Bookworm has said. Roy does have a pretty good disjoint, I said "even Roy beats GnW" because Roy is generally considered to be the worst/second worst sword character. (Although I don't really think that). Despite Roy's aerials being less negative on shield, they are still less ranged than Marth's. Also, Mario can kill, not sure were this belief propagated from, as Mario has very good Smash attacks, Up-Air to Up-B strings, and Back-Air. Fair can also kill at ludicrously low percents as well. I really do think that GnW is a character that thrives not off of being good, but off of matchup experience.

Marcina and Roy Dsicords both say Marth has a better combo game, because spacing actually can allow Marth to get 30% in a combo. Roy has garbage aerial mobility, so spacing with Roy is mainly ground-based, while Marth can space in the air as well. Marth also benefits much more from spacing well, so Roy's spacing game is actually pretty meh, as he actually is harmed slightly by spacing. Roy relies mostly off of low percent combos to rack up damage and then get a kill.

Also, to be completely honest, my answer before was mostly out of annoyance due to FeelMeUp's comment. While I respect his knowledge, that comment was just insulting.

Edit: In response to RK, yes, I know that Daigo is much more than I said he was. I just compared him to ZeRo because that was the only Smash player who comes even close to having the star-power of Daigo. Daigo himself is a FGC legend, and he truly is the Beast.
I personally consider him the second worse sword character. The worse is Mii Swordfighter, although you probably forgot about him (which is very understandable). In terms of tier gaps, he isn't that far away from Robin, Ike, and Pit, but his gap in results and strengths is pretty noticeable.
"For an upsmash" is an incredibly low bar to clear, and every one of Roy's aerials save dair has more.

Roy doesn't have issues with his approach unless you're playing him horribly wrong. Sure, he has bad aerial drift, but all you have to do to mitigate that is not jump forward. Ryu doesn't have problems spacing, so why would Roy? Also, none of Roy's aerials have bad range except dair and arguably fair. Nair in particular, his best aerial for approaching, has about the same horizontal range as Cloud's, though it's nowhere near as disjointed. Third, his aerials that are -2 are sour bair and uair, neither of which he uses in neutral. His Nair and fair are both +-0 sourspotted and +2 sweetspotted.

I might be wrong on jab, I forget whether jab>up-B works off sourspot jab, but sour dtilt sets up techchases starting at ~80, meaning it has a 30% chance of confirming to Fsmash past 100.

Ignoring that the point in parentheses is untrue, Roy's fast enough to make up for the lack of range on his grounded moves.

Convince me of what? That Roy is bad? Because I agree with you on that. He's not a good character, but he doesn't have any of the problems you seem to think he does. His neutral and killpower are actually pretty good, and he's decent at landing, too, but he's liable to lose a stock off one mistake, and free as **** to edgeguard.

I don't know where you got the idea that I think Roy's good. You can make anyone outside bottom tier sound good if you don't mention their flaws.
I didn't entirely say that Roy is bad (although he is pretty mediocre), but your points make him look like he is way better than you say.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
the Pits both have shorter ones for sure
Pit's sword is actually quite long, His Ftilt, Dtilt, and Jab (all hits) outspace Roy's, while his Fsmash (first hit, second is longer) and Dsmash have about the same range.
has overall better frame data than Marth
It's better, yeah, but only by very little. It's literally just a few frames off the endlag of dtilt, jab, and aerials for more endlag on Dsmash and Utilt.
I'd believe it, but I'd like to mention I just watched somewhere around 15 sets Captain Levi played against high and mid level players, and he killed most often off reads and it wasn't even particularly close. I counted six total combo kills, and three of those were aerial chains off the SV platform.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Oh, shut up already. Do I have to take you seriously or something?
Also you:
Cool your jets and let me continue (plus the bluntness is unnecessary).
:rolleyes:
I just wanna point out that their frame data is mostly similar, with the exception of f-air, d-air, up B, and f-smash, moves that Marth has faster start up on.

Roy does have less landing lag and endlag on certain moves, but that's it.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so Marcina Discord just did a 180 and said Roy does have the better combo game, which they also say is his best aspect. in fact, his combo game saves him from bottom tier. Roy has absolute garbage disadvantage, a worse advantage state, and a way worse recovery. There is literally no reason to play Roy above Marth or Lucina, aside from enjoyment of the character and the willingness to test his capabilities.

Molk

Smash Cadet
#buffthetoottoot
As someone who's pretty much solo mained this character since the game came out, i can say for a fact that this is a lie, if you go for G&W's Dthrow Uair in the proper percent window and that grab doesn't result in the opponent losing their stock, it's because you messed up and it's your own fault.

I'll also say that in my personal opinion G&W's issue with disjoints is being blown way out of proportion, and from my decent amount of experience playing against people who main the character, i don't think he loses to Roy at all honestly. All of G&W's positives against Roy, including his absolutely devastating punish game on Roy (Roy's physics make racking up a ton of damage on him off of a neutral win quite easy), Roy's absolutely gigantic Toot Toot window, Roy's vulnerability to G&W's offstage edgeguarding, and Roy's mediocre aerial weaving outside of using his double jump making it harder for him to play around Usmash than other characters were entirely pushed aside here in favor of "xD, Roy has a sword so he must win the matchup!".

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
For reference, Mario's upsmash is still considered somewhat safe despite being -13 on drop and having no range,
People need to stop saying this. Ally gets away with it sometimes but that's largely due to his judgement paired with Mario's highly adaptable burst game keeping it unpredictable.

A move that's -2 spaced, like Link's Dtilt is about the limit of what's safe on shield. Even then it loses to all OoS options if used too close.

Anyone who wants to see Roy's hitboxes can do it here. Click the 'hitbox active' frames or it will load forever. Roy's jab looks limited for a sword move but Dtilt's decent. The still don't hold a candle to Marth's. As a Link player I feel Roy's reach is slightly lacking and Link has better reach but has to be very careful.
Shoutouts to @arbustopachon for posting that originally.

A big part of sword reach is how the character holds their sword. For example, Link generally out-ranges Cloud on the ground, sans Fsmash, because Cloud has a step forward style jab, Ftilt doesn't extend his arms and DA "pushes" the blade forward sideways rather than swinging or thrusting it.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Ok, so Marcina Discord just did a 180 and said Roy does have the better combo game, which they also say is his best aspect. in fact, his combo game saves him from bottom tier. Roy has absolute garbage disadvantage, a worse advantage state, and a way worse recovery. There is literally no reason to play Roy above Marth or Lucina, aside from enjoyment of the character and the willingness to test his capabilities.
It seems that Roy's combo game has quite a bit of versatility compared to marcina, his lower knockback throws are a plus too. Sweet spotted forward Smash is also nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Pit's sword is actually quite long, His Ftilt, Dtilt, and Jab (all hits) outspace Roy's, while his Fsmash (first hit, second is longer) and Dsmash have about the same range.
You're conflating range with disjoints. Pit has very good range on many of his moves, but very little of that range is actually disjointed. Meanwhile, Roy has bad range on some moves despite his better disjoints because he holds his sword like a ****ing ****.

It's better, yeah, but only by very little. It's literally just a few frames off the endlag of dtilt, jab, and aerials for more endlag on Dsmash and Utilt.
No argument here.

I'd believe it, but I'd like to mention I just watched somewhere around 15 sets Captain Levi played against high and mid level players, and he killed most often off reads and it wasn't even particularly close. I counted six total combo kills, and three of those were aerial chains off the SV platform.
Roy doesn't need to kill off reads, but he kills much earlier with reads than with combos. Jab-Up-B doesn't kill till like 130.

Roy's disadvantage (not counting edgeguarding) is fine and arguably better than Marth's. His airspeed and fall speed get him out of juggling much faster and he has options that don't need to be spaced to be safe, meaning he cares less about not having stage than other characters. He gets comboed incredibly hard, sure, but that's not part of disadvantage. Second of all, Roy is not Marth and doesn't play like Marth. There will always be a reason to play Roy over Marth, because the two don't play alike.

A move that's -2 spaced, like Link's Dtilt is about the limit of what's safe on shield. Even then it loses to all OoS options if used too close.
No, -7 or 8 spaced is the limit, depending on the range of the move. Again, Bayo's dtilt is safe. Beyond there, it's character dependent whether or not the move is safe.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
No, -7 or 8 spaced is the limit, depending on the range of the move. Again, Bayo's dtilt is safe. Beyond there, it's character dependent whether or not the move is safe.
We're talking about shield drop, right? -7 or -8 on drop loses to anyone with a good burst game/DA. It's -14 OoS so Link can shield grab it and his grab's f12 plus a few frames extension. It's not safe. If Bayo starts fishing for Dtilts too much she'll be punished by good characters.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
Then why do you think people praised it so much back in, say, 2016?
2016 is when ally was going toe-to-toe with zero and people still didn't know how to fight mario, plus le up smash maymay was circulated pretty hard back then

Top Bottom