• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Bayonetta and jiggs have the same number of majors. She'll get there but it will take every high level neutral dominant player to either be gone or be avoided due to bracket luck.

Well Pink Fresh did win KTAR Saga last year, so that is 1 Major for Bayo.

Also yea when you really look at tge brackets in all the majors over this and lastcuear. Bayo mai usually do get pretty poor bracket luck. With many of them running into ZeRo or other neutral dominant players early on in majors and Salem and Zack constaltly having to face their demons with Dabuz and ZeRo respectively when ironically they both can better handle the other opponent much better.

Blackghost dont forget that Zack did manage to beat one of the top neutral dominating playere Mr.R at Civil War. So Bayo does have a shot in that regard

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I genuinely think Mario is overrated. Still top tier, for certain... but he's nearly as common as Cloud, meaning everyone knows the MU, but he doesn't have strengths that are as overwhelming. It's not surprising for him to lose to any strong player of almost any character, even if he solidly wins the MU.
Pardon the piping in but is this genuinely the high critical thinking conclusion?

"If Mario is outplayed he loses"???? I'm wondering if y'all should start talkin bout players instead of characters, broader horizons and all that, it would probably make a lot of these event results make a lot more sense. This game's interactions go far beyond the characters but it seems everyone in here is hooked on arbitrary numbers.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pardon the piping in but is this genuinely the high critical thinking conclusion?

"If Mario is outplayed he loses"???? I'm wondering if y'all should start talkin bout players instead of characters, broader horizons and all that, it would probably make a lot of these event results make a lot more sense. This game's interactions go far beyond the characters but it seems everyone in here is hooked on arbitrary numbers.
I agree that player matchups are possibly even more important than character matchups.

What I don't agree with is that rather unfair analysis of what RK said. He said that Mario doesn't have any overwhelming strengths that allow him to squash other chars with as much ease as the other top tiers. It's his everyman nature that makes him overall less threatening. Kinda what people said about pit (but pit sucks imo)

Not "if Mario gets outplayed he loses lul". That makes no sense given the cloud comparison he gave.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I agree that player matchups are possibly even more important than character matchups.

What I don't agree with is that rather unfair analysis of what RK said. He said that Mario doesn't have any overwhelming strengths that allow him to squash other chars with as much ease as the other top tiers. It's his everyman nature that makes him overall less threatening.

Not "if Mario gets outplayed he loses lul". That makes no sense given the cloud comparison he gave.
Dude literally said "Mario lost MUs he solidly wins." My response? Mario players got outplayed. I don't know what world we're in when a char is overrated cause they lost a good matchup in tournament when empirically it's still a pretty good matchup. That is generally how that happens because interactions are dynamic and not really static. A majority of the upsets that happened in this tournament were largely IMO player based as a result of this. I also don't know where everyman Mario came from in this game, his air speed is pretty ridiculous and his frame data is really good. He's not really an everyman character, he's more of an air speedster with emphasis on getting a grab and then doing a ton of damage, then throwing out a pretty powerful, solidly invincible move that KOs at pretty good %s.

I also don't think I'd call Mario's advantaged state "not oppressive". I mean no it's not Bayonetta (whose is?) but....not oppressive? Not sure about that....it's preeeetty good. The argument that holds weight against Mario is that his neutral is probably the least explosive part of the character.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
other tournies coming in a bit

1st: RNG | Dabuz :rosalina:
2nd: FS | Fatality :4falcon:
3rd: T :4link: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
4th: Captain Zack:4bayonetta:
5th: DNL | Marss :4zss:
5th: Kirihara :rosalina:
7th: HIKARU :4dk: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
7th: UBCEA | Locus :4ryu:
9th: eLv | Mr. R :4sheik:
9th: NRG | Nairo :4zss:
9th: LG | Abadango :4mewtwo:, :rosalina:
9th: MSF | Larry Lurr :4fox:
13th: SHIG | 9B :4bayonetta:
13th: tsu :4lucario:
13th: Shuton :4olimar:
13th: LooK | Falln :rosalina:
17th: 2GG | komorikiri :4cloud2:, :4sonic:
17th: 2GG | Ranai :4villager:
17th: PG | ESAM :4pikachu:, :4samus:
17th: EG | Zinoto :4diddy:
17th: Trela :4ryu: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
17th: Samsora :4peach:
17th: DNG | Nietono :4sheik:
17th: Earth :4pit:, :4darkpit:
25th: RvL | Mr. E :4lucina:, :4marth:
25th: FOW :4ness:
25th: C9 | Ally :4mario:
25th: MVG | Salem :4bayonetta:
25th: LooK | Ac :4metaknight:, :4falco:
25th: IMT | ANTi :4mario:, :4diddy::4cloud2:
25th: P1 | Tweek :4cloud2:, :4dk:
25th: FS | Wrath :4sonic: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
33rd: eM | Zenyou :4mario:
33rd: Luhtie :4zss: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
33rd: SS | MrConCon :4luigi: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
33rd: BSD | Elegant :4luigi:
33rd: PG | MVD :4diddy:
33rd: ImHip :4olimar:
33rd: iQHQ | Vinnie :4sheik:(Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
33rd: DNG | Kameme :4megaman:, :4sheik::4darkpit:
33rd: RvL | Xzax :4fox:
33rd: HY | Javi :4cloud2:, :4sheik:
33rd: Circa | 6WX :4sonic:
33rd: YG | Lycan :4diddy: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
33rd: Kome :4shulk:
33rd: FAD | 2scoops Nicko :4shulk:
33rd: CLG | NAKAT :4fox:, :4ness::4lucina:
33rd: CLG | VoiD :4sheik:, :4fox:
49th: TSM | ZeRo :4diddy:
49th: LH | Charliedaking :4fox:
49th: BSD | Aarvark :4villager:
49th: E2C | tyroy :4bayonetta:
49th: GotE | 8BitMan :4rob:
49th: InC | WaDi :4mewtwo:
49th: ECHO FOX MVG | Mew2King :4cloud2:
49th: Eon :4fox:
49th: Konga :4dk: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
49th: SS :4villager:, :4ness:
49th: DSS :4metaknight:
49th: Shaky :4ness:
49th: Dath :4robinf:
49th: G-FORCE Oni | Day :4lucario:
49th: BYOC | S1 :4ness: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
49th: Meteor :4sonic: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)

I'll discuss with freezie on if the 65th block should qualify considering the particularly stacked nature of the tournament

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Mario's biggest issue is his neutral. His advantage is good, but his KO options aren't exactly the best. He also lack's a top tier disadvantage state.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
If we're talking about mario 'solidly beating' samus he doesn't. She's a heavy floaty with a good neutral, he hates all three of these things. I won't claim he loses but it's a really annoying matchup. Like dthrow combos don't even work that well due to said weight. Can't edgeguard her, juggling is hard... (especially if she has charge shot)

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
If we're talking about mario 'solidly beating' samus he doesn't. She's a heavy floaty with a good neutral, he hates all three of these things. I won't claim he loses but it's a really annoying matchup. Like dthrow combos don't even work that well due to said weight. Can't edgeguard her, juggling is hard... (especially if she has charge shot)
I think it was more ROB being brought into question, I don't disagree about any of this relative to Mario vs. Samus.

I'll just end it with this: I don't think being top tier means a character is immune to a bad tournament showing. I also don't know who tf was overrating Mario at all (The 4BR list? cuz I mean it's not like they've placed him too far off where he should be tbh) so I'm just doubly confused.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Salem evidently thinks Mario is 3 or 4 in the game. ESAM thinks he's #2. And many other players believe Mario is super high up as well.

This is a gross oversimplification of what I was saying. Mario's tools, while amazing, aren't oppressive in neutral. He doesn't have a Bayo dtilt or Witch Twist, he doesn't have a Mewtwo dtilt, he doesn't have needles, a massive disjoint, etc. His strength is in his insane conversions. This means that many characters can contest him even if they ultimately lose the MU. Mario puts in a lot to get his conversions started - it's not like Cloud who invalidates a number of characters by jumping and pressing a.

I watch Ally and ANTi's matches, and despite the fact that Mario has great attributes (mobility, for example), I can see the work they're putting in to body people as hard as they do.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Salem evidently thinks Mario is 3 or 4 in the game. ESAM thinks he's #2. And many other players believe Mario is super high up as well.

This is a gross oversimplification of what I was saying. Mario's tools, while amazing, aren't oppressive in neutral. He doesn't have a Bayo dtilt or Witch Twist, he doesn't have a Mewtwo dtilt, he doesn't have needles, a massive disjoint, etc. His strength is in his insane conversions. This means that many characters can contest him even if they ultimately lose the MU. Mario puts in a lot to get his conversions started - it's not like Cloud who invalidates a number of characters by jumping and pressing a.

I watch Ally and ANTi's matches, and despite the fact that Mario has great attributes (mobility, for example), I can see the work they're putting in to body people as hard as they do.
The average consensus I see for Mario ranges from 7-10 (4BR pegs him at 6 which is respectable, maybe a bit high for my tastes but w/e) when I average in everyone and not just exceptions, hence I'm not seeing where "overrated" comes from. Like those sound like outlier top player opinions (which do exist, Salem's thoughts on Cloud blow my mind whenever I read them.)

I'm aware Mario doesn't oppress in neutral, he runs on fear, conditioning, air speed, and knowledge of basic and advanced mixup. If you remove any of these Mario's matchups become pretty bad. When you have these however **** tends to look rather free. Like your initial post just seemed like stuff that was....pretty clear knowledge. I just don't see how Mario losing MUs he wins in at one tournament = he's overrated? The correlation just confounds me.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Mario can lose to any character because he doesn't have individually overwhelming tools like Diddy f-air and d-tilt and banana. Instead, he has a wide array of situationally useful tools with significant weaknesses like low range and disjoint that must be explicitly accounted for and played to and around in neutral.

The character is good but only if his player utilizes all of his tools effectively. The Mario players who succeed the most are those with high situational awareness who can improvise and choose unexpected options in different situations.

Think about his matchups across the cast and you can find a convincing theoretical argument for each matchup to be even or near even, if not in the other character's favor.

Shulk? Huge sword, keeps Mario out.
Peach? Great results from Samsora against all the top Marios, defensive tools with float.
Samus? Heavy, floaty, combos and kills Mario easily.
You can do this all the way through the cast, from Bowser to DK to Link to even Ganon.

At the same time, matchups that are thought to be difficult for Mario end up often not looking that difficult at all. Mario vs. Luigi and Mario vs. Rosalina were historically considered trash MUs for Mario, but Ally makes them look annoying at worst and easy at best.

It's difficult to evaluate Mario, but it's evident that his results are highly player-performance dependent. That is to say, I would bank on "Ally on a good day" over any other player on a good day. A player in the right mindset making crisp decisions with fluid mixups is going to enjoy a lot of success with Mario.

By the way, looking at Dabuz' play this weekend, I have to say that I was probably wrong about Rosalina. Seems to be top 5 material after all, though I'm wary of jumping ship until we see some counterplay to the ledge setups. Nice to be proven wrong, though. The character is very interesting.

OverTime

Smash Cadet
I feel we underrate Mario's disadvantage state.

It's not so much a bevy of escape options as much as it is constant moments of "I can't challenge this."

His disadvantage state is a ton of reversals. He can just constantly challenge most non-disjointed hitbixes. N-Air, D-Air, Up B, even Fireballs off stage command attention, because they can lead into you being in a juggle situation, getting grabbed or just straight up killed.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Let's face it, when you have a character yet that can't be grabbed essentially due to Luma...That neuters 90% of the top tiers, who have grabs as the center of their gameplay
You can grab Rosalina, people just have to remember to not pummel as much and just go for the throw. Or consider playing characters that have good dash grab slides. Captain Falcon happens to do very very well against Rosalina for instance, and I don't think I need to explain Meta Knight either.

People will continue to ignore the fact that Mario has the least dominant MU spread among the top tiers which would explain all the set loses he has at top level from lengthy list of characters:

... :4diddy:...
Reminder that Ally is currently 6-1 in sets vs ZeRo, and while not all of them are Diddy v Mario, the majority are. Ally and ZeRo both think that Banana-less Diddy is how Diddy has to play the match up for the most part and ZeRo's still getting bodied. If you're forcing a character to not be able to use their best tools effectively just by existing, then you've got an advantage.

Another thing that to take away not just from this tournament but overall is :4samus:

As shes starting to show she probably isnt as bad as people still claim she is. Its not just ESAM but Salem has pulled Samus out a few times recently as well (He won a FL tournament using only Samus a few weeks ago) and of course the efforts of the pure Samus mains like Afro and IcyMist. Shes getting a few decent wins and placements and with two Top level players pulling her out more often we are getting to see what shes capable of. Im curious as to how high she can climb up the tier list if we keep seeing her, of course thats dependent on people learning the MU (Because honestly how many people are as versed in this MU?) Hopefully she doesnt suffer the way Mega Man did after his breakout tournament and subsequent learning of the MU.
A character can not be as bad as people previously claimed they were and still not rise on the tier list.

There are very few legitimately ass characters in this game. Many people here like to say "Oh, X has so many good tools, there's no way that they're bottom/low tier!" but a lot of characters in this game have good tools. That doesn't change the fact that someone has to be on the lower end of the tier list, whether we like it or not.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The average consensus I see for Mario ranges from 7-10 (4BR pegs him at 6 which is respectable, maybe a bit high for my tastes but w/e) when I average in everyone and not just exceptions, hence I'm not seeing where "overrated" comes from. Like those sound like outlier top player opinions (which do exist, Salem's thoughts on Cloud blow my mind whenever I read them.)

I'm aware Mario doesn't oppress in neutral, he runs on fear, conditioning, air speed, and knowledge of basic and advanced mixup. If you remove any of these Mario's matchups become pretty bad. When you have these however **** tends to look rather free. Like your initial post just seemed like stuff that was....pretty clear knowledge. I just don't see how Mario losing MUs he wins in at one tournament = he's overrated? The correlation just confounds me.
Nu~ and SolidSense get what I'm saying, and they're a bit more eloquent about it. I'm making a general statement based on patterns, not just the one tournament. But read the other posts - I 100% agree with them.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Bayonetta and jiggs have the same number of majors. She'll get there but it will take every high level neutral dominant player to either be gone or be avoided due to bracket luck.
What a... keen observation. smh

It's like saying, before Kirihara's victory at Frame Perfect 2, that Rosalina had the same number of majors as Jiggs. Dabuz had been ridiculously consistent over the course of a year but she still had the same number of majors as Jiggs. CaptainZack and Salem are basically doing the same thing. Writing on the wall...

Bayo clearly has a chance at taking a major, and we might as well consider Top 8 at Civil War the equivalent of a major win. CaptainZack is clearly on another level and he's only 15. I don't know about you, but that's exciting.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can still pummel Rosa so long as Luma has cooldown left on an attacking animation (e.g. you shieldgrab a flubbed lunar land) or the pummel collateral hitbox overlaps Luma.

BSP

Smash Legend
TBF, Mario doesn't have the greatest MU spread of the top tiers (although losing to a ROB is kinda pathetic).
Agreed and not surprised because as others have said, Mario doesn't have a win button in neutral to just LOLwin. His player needs to know the MUand the player, otherwise he can just lose.

Sonic sucks.

In all seriousness, Sonic hasn't done so much compared to the top tiers and the rising characters in recent times. I'm not sure if it's cause of Sonic's playerbase not at the same level as the top players or Sonic has a hard time keeping in this meta which is becoming more and more based on punishes.
I know Sonic isn't bad, but I can't bring myself to play him in this game because it's such a chore. I think he's going to get worse once people start forcing him to do air to ground play once they get a lead, aka platform camping him.

What I don't agree with is that rather unfair analysis of what RK said. He said that Mario doesn't have any overwhelming strengths that allow him to squash other chars with as much ease as the other top tiers. It's his everyman nature that makes him overall less threatening. Kinda what people said about pit (but pit sucks imo)
Gotta disagree with the "Everyman" notion of Mario.

His frame data is utterly ridiculous: all tilts F5, F2 jab, and 2/3 of his smash attacks come out just as fast, if not faster than lots of characters' tilts.
He has 3 aerials that are plus on shield drop: Mario's Bair is a really stupid move to defend against and only held back by Mario's range and relative lack of mobility
And he's most definitely in the top 5 of the cast for reward on grabs. That's not a jack of all trades character if you ask me.

I also don't know where everyman Mario came from in this game, his air speed is pretty ridiculous and his frame data is really good. He's not really an everyman character, he's more of an air speedster with emphasis on getting a grab and then doing a ton of damage, then throwing out a pretty powerful, solidly invincible move that KOs at pretty good %s.

I also don't think I'd call Mario's advantaged state "not oppressive". I mean no it's not Bayonetta (whose is?) but....not oppressive? Not sure about that....it's preeeetty good. The argument that holds weight against Mario is that his neutral is probably the least explosive part of the character.
Agree with all of this.

Her OOS game has to be respected too. Even with how good his aerials are, Mario has to exercise caution with touching Samus' shield because of screw attack.

I agree with this, and it's why I think regardless of where Mario is on the list he can still win / lose most MUs in the game regardless of what's on paper. In order for his "overwhelming" tools to become relevant (frame data and conversions), he has actually get close enough for them to matter + make reads. Like you said, pretty much anyone can contest him up until that point.

Mario can lose to any character because he doesn't have individually overwhelming tools like Diddy f-air and d-tilt and banana. Instead, he has a wide array of situationally useful tools with significant weaknesses like low range and disjoint that must be explicitly accounted for and played to and around in neutral.

The character is good but only if his player utilizes all of his tools effectively. The Mario players who succeed the most are those with high situational awareness who can improvise and choose unexpected options in different situations.

Think about his matchups across the cast and you can find a convincing theoretical argument for each matchup to be even or near even, if not in the other character's favor.

Shulk? Huge sword, keeps Mario out.
Peach? Great results from Samsora against all the top Marios, defensive tools with float.
Samus? Heavy, floaty, combos and kills Mario easily.
You can do this all the way through the cast, from Bowser to DK to Link to even Ganon.

At the same time, matchups that are thought to be difficult for Mario end up often not looking that difficult at all. Mario vs. Luigi and Mario vs. Rosalina were historically considered trash MUs for Mario, but Ally makes them look annoying at worst and easy at best.

It's difficult to evaluate Mario, but it's evident that his results are highly player-performance dependent. That is to say, I would bank on "Ally on a good day" over any other player on a good day. A player in the right mindset making crisp decisions with fluid mixups is going to enjoy a lot of success with Mario.

By the way, looking at Dabuz' play this weekend, I have to say that I was probably wrong about Rosalina. Seems to be top 5 material after all, though I'm wary of jumping ship until we see some counterplay to the ledge setups. Nice to be proven wrong, though. The character is very interesting.
Agree with this too, and we've had this conversation before. I still call it guessing XD

As for Rosalina, I would love for people to adopt a "kill Luma even if I'm going to get punished, unless said punish would kill me outright" style and see how she fares against that. As good as the character is, I have to imagine that it's troublesome to have half of your character be so vulnerable the entire time.

I feel we underrate Mario's disadvantage state.

It's not so much a bevy of escape options as much as it is constant moments of "I can't challenge this."

His disadvantage state is a ton of reversals. He can just constantly challenge most non-disjointed hitbixes. N-Air, D-Air, Up B, even Fireballs off stage command attention, because they can lead into you being in a juggle situation, getting grabbed or just straight up killed.
I disagree with a bit of this. Nair and Dair have poor coverage below Mario and are easy to outspace even if you don't have a disjoint. If you can't outspace them, a trade is probably in your character's favor too, especially with Mario's Dair. Fireballs have a ton of lag and aren't hard to eat through with aerials, or dodge them in order to hit Mario.

Airdodge -> buffered up B is a pretty good reversal though and something to worry about. Still, being forced to dodge because you can't really challenge below you + no get out of jail free card like Flip Jump isn't a disadvantage state to brag about. It's not terrible, but it's not good either when compared to what other good characters bring to the table.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
JJROCKETS :4diddy: 2-0 Elegant :4luigi:
Captain L :4pikachu: 2-1 Ac :4falco: :4metaknight:

If this was one week ago, I might have been surprised that the best Luigi player in the world who has overcome his characters bad MU's before ( Sheik, Cloud, Marth) lost to a character Luigi apparently beats.

But after Civil War.... I think we can all agree we should expect the unexpected to happen at any time in this game now.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
MKLeo triple 2 stocks Charliedaking, oi vey.

And Shuton 3-0's MKLeo in Grand Finals, as solo Olimar.

I always thought Olimar was annoying as hell to fight, I'm glad to know I'm not just bad at the game, lol.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
BSP BSP TTTTTsd TTTTTsd
Can I just say that what I personally mean by "Everyman" is that like BSP and SolidSense said, Mario has no "LOLwin" button. He thrives on player improvisation and creativity with a diverse set of tools rather than a few oppressive tools.

I in no way think he's mediocre. I actually love this quality about the char lol. Why do you think I fawned over Pac-Man's options and creative potential all the time just a year ago? I do still think this makes him less immediately daunting to go up against (at first...then you get mixed up into oblivion) than other top tiers like diddy and bayo, however. Getting swatted by chars with good range makes me sad tho

Mediocrity incarnate is pit imo

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I've just skim read most of this page and saw comments along the lines of "Mario's neutral isn't too good" and "his disadvantage is poor".

No.

One of Mario's best traits is just how hard it can be to punish him for an action; the relatively low cooldown on his aerials, tied with his great air speed and drift means he can use moves around your shield with relative ease. His range may not be great, which is one of his legitimate issues; this is why he struggles in the Marth/Lucina MU for example, and could be something to evaluate in the Mario:Samus MU - Zair is really good at keeping him at bay. However, he can absolutely throw out attacks and get off scot free most of the time. Mario might be going for a RAR Bair on your shield, but what is he going to do? Is he going to drift back and stuff your punish attempt? Is he just going to Bair into your shield and cross you up (possible thanks to his air physics) and grab you to punish your grab attempt?

Are we also forgetting Up Smash on shield...?

His reward for actually winning neutral is strong too. Low percents, Fireball or Bair converts to grab, grab converts to combos etc. Fireball can convert into grab at any percent (considering it's being used in the air approaching, which means grab -> Uair -> Dair can be a thing if the percent is right. Basically, Mario's gameplan flows in a natural manner. It's not like he's going to win neutral, get one stray hit in, and not be able to capitalise off of it, being forced to win neutral 10 more times before the opponent can be KO'd; when Mario wins neutral, you should be paying for it. It's for precisely this reason why I feel the Marth/Lucina: Mario MU isn't a total wipeout for Mario. Mario can struggle getting in, but when he gets in, there's not a huge deal Marth and Lucina can do to get him out safely. No worse than 55:45 if you ask me, even is still a relative possibility.

Also remember Up B has intangibility frames 3-6, making it a decent get out of jail card, along with his frame 3 Nair.

Mario can get out of disadvantage as easily as many other top tier characters.

TL;DR: Mario can throw out attacks and go unpunished most of the time in neutral, has good reward for actually winning neutral, and has strong options to relieve disadvantage. Things aren't all perfect, but let's top underrating him now.

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
I've just skim read most of this page and saw comments along the lines of "Mario's neutral isn't too good" and "his disadvantage is poor".

No.

One of Mario's best traits is just how hard it can be to punish him for an action; the relatively low cooldown on his aerials, tied with his great air speed and drift means he can use moves around your shield with relative ease. His range may not be great, which is one of his legitimate issues; this is why he struggles in the Marth/Lucina MU for example, and could be something to evaluate in the Mario:Samus MU - Zair is really good at keeping him at bay. However, he can absolutely throw out attacks and get off scot free most of the time. Mario might be going for a RAR Bair on your shield, but what is he going to do? Is he going to drift back and stuff your punish attempt? Is he just going to Bair into your shield and cross you up (possible thanks to his air physics) and grab you to punish your grab attempt?

His reward for actually winning neutral is strong too. Low percents, Fireball or Bair converts to grab, grab converts to combos etc. Fireball can convert into grab at any percent (considering it's being used in the air approaching, which means grab -> Uair -> Dair can be a thing if the percent is right. Basically, Mario's gameplan flows in a natural manner. It's not like he's going to win neutral, get one stray hit in, and not be able to capitalise off of it, being forced to win neutral 10 more times before the opponent can be KO'd; when Mario wins neutral, you should be paying for it. It's for precisely this reason why I feel the Marth/Lucina: Mario MU isn't a total wipeout for Mario. Mario can struggle getting in, but when he gets in, there's not a huge deal Marth and Lucina can do to get him out safely. No worse than 55:45 if you ask me, even is still a relative possibility.

Also remember Up B has intangibility frames 3-6, making it a decent get out of jail card, along with his frame 3 Nair.

TL;DR: Mario can throw out attacks and go unpunished most of the time in neutral, has good reward for actually winning neutral, and has strong options to relieve disadvantage. Things aren't all perfect, but let's top underrating him now.
His frame data doesn't really matter much if he can't get close enough to hit you with anything. Mario clearly has a range issue and his average ground mobility doesn't help him much either. His air mobility is nice but approaching from the air, especially with his poor range, is much more risky than approaching on the ground; he can get out-ranged, trade unfavorably (quite often), get pivot grabbed, miss-space on the opponents shield, and having no access to shield.

A good chunk of the roster have decent keep-away tools and mobility to keep Mario out and this is certainly a big issue in some of his MU's and Civil War was one of many examples where you can see it

Also, lets be real, Fox is the only top tier with a worse disadvantage than Mario, the other top tiers have a disadvantage that is just as good if not better

|RK|

Smash Marketer

No.

Um... Mario's disadvantage isn't great. Watch an Ally vs Leo set and watch how long it takes for Mario to land.

And while Mario has the ability to throw out moves without getting punished for it, getting those moves to land is another thing.

Not underrating Mario at all. I actually agree w/ Ally's placement of 7-8 in the game. But I also study Ally's play to understand how he gets around range issues, and I can see the struggles.

My summary of Mario is this: Mario has many, many amazing buttons, but he doesn't really have instawin buttons in most MUs. I don't think that's underrating him.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Mario might be going for a RAR Bair on your shield, but what is he going to do? Is he going to drift back and stuff your punish attempt? Is he just going to Bair into your shield and cross you up (possible thanks to his air physics) and grab you to punish your grab attempt?
Cross-up bair is not a legitimate neutral option. The options are just spaced bair and bait in these situation. (Maybe b-reverse retreating fireball)

The reasoning is simple, only the weak inside hit of bair allows him to cross up. And ONLY on particularly skinny characters. Strong hit puts them too far and he'll just get shield grabbed. With varying shield sizes, oos options, how they got there, etc...

In general, despite the lack of priority, dair is usually the better option when THAT close.

When you see mario's crossing up with bair, it's usually because the opponent dash shielded into an already approaching mario.

What's this have to do with neutral? This is only relevant at kill percent, it isn't totally safe it's just safe enough to be worth it at high percent.

Fludd is the main thing keeping his neutral relevant. Since you can't ONLY camp him or risk losing stage control until you can't run anymore. (Unless you're sonic who can just spindash through fludd :()

None of this is to disagree with your overall message by the way, Just wanted to help bolster it with what I know.

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Way I see it, Mario's neutral is decent even if it's not oppressive. He doesn't have many good poke moves and his ground mobility is not great, but those alone do not invalidate his neutral. He has a fundamentally very similar (and stronger) neutral game to Ness imo and Ness' neutral is not bad even if it's not airtight, as I explained a couple of months ago in v2 of this thread. Crucially, he (Mario) is good at handling his opponent's shield and his own shield is very valuable for him. I can't see how you can have a weak neutral when you are strong against shields and strong out of shield. It's fair to say he struggles with range but it isn't the be-all and end-all. It's not as if he is incapable of closing the gap and he has strong options at midrange to threaten whiffed pokes. That said, he should be losing neutral more than characters like Marth, for example, simply due to the (effective) range issue. In the case of some characters with strong advantage and the ability to efficiently shave stocks this does invariably mean a bad matchup, let's not sugar-coat it, but those characters who consistently beat him in neutral AND efficiently take his stock are not exactly numerous. Something the Smash 4 community seems to have stuck in it's collective head is that 6-4 or 7-3 matchups are absolute washouts. Which is quite frankly horse****. It's certainly worth considering a counterpick for a 7-3 but it's not really mandatory. And is a secondary *mandatory* with Mario? I'm going with "no" but I'm open to hear otherwise.

Mario's advantage is very good. Ok he's not consistently killing off a single touch - hell if you ask me, he's not consistently killing ever and people need to stop jumping in his face - but he has strong combos, strings and frametraps (especially off his grab which is itself a very good grab), is capable of forcing reactions and has good tools to catch landings. He's able to kill off grabs or stray hits in neutral. I can't see how it's lacking. Your advantage doesn't have to be ridiculous in order to be good.

His disadvantage isn't pretty, but he has more resources available to him than many other characters. He can stall, has two viable string breakers that both demand respect, has a fast double jump, good airdodge, good air speed and acceleration, along with a fast recovery with good distance, decent (fast)fallspeed, smallish hurtbox, not being a sitting duck on the ledge and strong reversal potential. A lot of characters don't have this many luxuries. Roy for example has very few options in disadvantage, and those he does have simply do not compare. Even Mewtwo struggles a lot without platforms despite his godlike airdodge, airspeed, recovery and Confusion. Mario doesn't have a flip kick or multi-jumps but he's not exactly option-starved. I'm not saying he gets out for free. I'm saying it's underappreciated relative to the cast.

TLDR Mario is not sub-par in any of neutral, advantage or disadvantage. He's not maddeningly good at any but doesn't mean they're bad.
I'm no Mario expert and I'm always learning, so if any Mario players want to correct me at all, please do.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
If this was one week ago, I might have been surprised that the best Luigi player in the world who has overcome his characters bad MU's before ( Sheik, Cloud, Marth) lost to a character Luigi apparently beats.

But after Civil War.... I think we can all agree we should expect the unexpected to happen at any time in this game now.
Elegant, as a player, struggles with the Diddy Kong MU: especially if the Diddy plays more passively and defensively. I'd say this is more of a player issue than a character issue. I don't think Elegant has a single winning record against any notable Diddy Kong that he's played, and this is one of the few match ups where ConCon has done notably better.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Well Pink Fresh did win KTAR Saga last year, so that is 1 Major for Bayo.

Also yea when you really look at tge brackets in all the majors over this and lastcuear. Bayo mai usually do get pretty poor bracket luck. With many of them running into ZeRo or other neutral dominant players early on in majors and Salem and Zack constaltly having to face their demons with Dabuz and ZeRo respectively when ironically they both can better handle the other opponent much better.

Blackghost dont forget that Zack did manage to beat one of the top neutral dominating playere Mr.R at Civil War. So Bayo does have a shot in that regard
Mr. R may win neutral over and over but he struggles to close stocks. As long as bayo is alive she's an ever present threat. Yes pink won ktar with a dream bracket and many top level players not being present. Pink fresh beat Mr r at ktar as well. Also ktar is a while ago pink fresh hasn't replicated his success since then at larger events

verbatim

Smash Ace
[QUOTE="blackghost, post: 21700877, member: 320902"]Sheik may win neutral over and over but (s)he struggles to close stocks[/QUOTE]

This is a Sheik thing not a player thing. Void also has a losing record against, say, Donkey Kong, which is why he opted to go Fox against Hikaru.

Last edited:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
This is a Sheik thing not a player thing. Void also has a losing record against, say, Donkey Kong, which is why he opted to go Fox against Hikaru.
It's both. Sheik has somewhat limited but effective options for killing, which VoiD capitalizes on at the right percents very well, and Mr. R does not. Mr. R does it against the characters he can't as reliably do the uthrow 50/50 on, VoiD just has issues with heavyweights, who are just inherently harder to kill regardless of what character you play.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Mega Smash Mondays 91 Ft. MKLeo, Shuton, iStudying, and more (116 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Shuton :4olimar:
2nd: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4sheik:
3rd: Charliedaking :4fox:
4th: iStudying :4greninja:
5th: DSS :4metaknight: :4gaw:
5th: Elegant :4luigi:
7th: Ac :4metaknight: :4falco:
7th: Tweek :4bowserjr:
9th: TonySherbert :rosalina:
9th: JJROCKETS :4diddy:
9th: K9Sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy:
9th: Captain L :4pikachu:
13th: Dynamo :4sheik:
13th: Razo :4peach:
13th: L.U.C.Y. :4tlink:
13th: Magister :4villager:

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
In other news...
Abadango is going to pick up Bayonetta for some match-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom