• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePokéYoshi

Smash Cadet
Speaking of near-dead characters, when was the last time Wii Fit did anything? I can't remember the last time I heard anything about her especially at higher level play.

Did everyone just drop her?
John Numbers got 5th at Glitch 2 (and 2nd in Low Tier) but that's all I can think of. I remember when people considered her mid tier and now she's almost unanimously considered low tier. John Numbers is one of her only dedicated players so that's probably why her results are kinda bad right now for the most part.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
Pit has a frame 5 down smash, frame 5 up smash, frame 10 forward smash, forward facing kill throw, super armored side b, and a back air that doubles as a poke and a raw kill move.

Killing for Pit is fine.

:150:
Same, I never find a hard time killing as pit.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I think ability to win neutral is paramount to killing success. This is why needles are good for killing (outside of the also-potent kill setups they have); getting the opponent into disadvantage is a step and a half towards landing a kill move. More kill setups means more to watch for means more kills at high level.

This is doubly true if your grab sets up for kills. Mario is great in this catagory. bthrow can kill of course. But dthrow and uthrow > fludd set up uair/bair/dair/fair/cape/smash kills. Being able to be safely fished for via shielding is also a huge plus. This propensity for shielding at high damage is a big reason kill throw setups are so highly effective.

Id imagine Pits dthrow is similar, since his usmash juggles hard while fsmash and dsmash eat landings... all while a DA resets the situation.

I enjoy the Pits. But i like to exploit smashers' lack of ground game with good pokes, and he just doesnt have those without leaving the ground.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I have a ton of respect for Earth and the 5 other Pit mains on the planet for putting up with such a boring character. There's nothing fun or redeeming about him. Isn't killing off of a hard read or fthrow at like 150. Dysfunctional hitboxes that leads to really bad reach for a "sword" character. Long recovery that has trouble sweetspotting the ledge and take forever so you can just get hit over and over. Anything you want with the Pits you have to work so much harder for than most other characters (even ones "worse" than them) because they're the smash equivalent of a potato.

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
Same, I never find a hard time killing as pit.
The problem isn't Pit's kill power (which is still kinda below average). It's that he has no reliable kill confirms. When you put him up against the top tiers, they either have solid confirms (:4bayonetta2::4diddy::4sheik::4zss::4fox:) or they just kill earlier than he does (:4cloud2::4mewtwo::rosalina:).

Pit is not allowed to make many mistakes due to his poor killing ability. The :4ryu: MU is unbelievably frustrating. Pit can win neutral 8/10 times, but that one mistake at 60% will cost you the stock, and Pit does NOT want to be down a stock against rage Ryu.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Pit has a frame 5 down smash, frame 5 up smash, frame 10 forward smash, forward facing kill throw, super armored side b, and a back air that doubles as a poke and a raw kill move.

Killing for Pit is fine.

:150:
1. How early does the down smash kill?
2. Pit upsmash kills moderately well with a large hitbox but it often fails connect properly from the sides, catches jumps and landing traps (try hitting a grounded character with it never mind looking at the recovery)
3. Committal Fsmash when Pit doesn't have the best boxing tools either when all his grounded moves, landing aerials (except spaced bair/jump away dair) are punishable on shield, to help Pit land a fsmash that doesn't kill that early. (Never mind pit fsmash doesn't link 100% when spaced)
4. Kill throw that isn't very strong and serves more of a stock cap at 150%+ especially when not on SV/TC
5. Super armour side b that isn't very fast, extremely punishable.
6. Back air is pretty good given the standard of back airs in the game it isn't something to shout about.

Of course Pit has kill moves, but the problem a lot of the times is: they kill late, very committal, or don't link in a lot of situations.

Generally the top 30 characters either have kill confirms or safe/large hitboxes which double up as strong kill moves... pit has neither.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
This whole 'Pit can't make mistakes' thing is ignoring the fact that Pit is very good at keeping people in bad positions. He has a top 5 juggle game and also some of the best ledge play. What you'll see Earth (as well as Kuro) do a lot is hit someone up or off the stage and continually reset the situation while piling on damage with arrows and an attack to hit them back into a bad position. Pit isn't really committing to anything while doing this, and it's very consistent. Pit is a character who might sometimes take a while to kill you, but he'll have stage control for a minute before he kills you, hitting you off the stage over and over until something kills you. With the combination of arrows, up air, up smash, dash attack, and pivot grabs. Pit can reliably cover landing options. Neutral air, down smash, forward tilt, up smash, and grabs pretty much cover the ledge. This stuff happens all the time when I see Earth play; Kuro can do the same things advantage state-wise but is worse at arrows and neutral. In any case, Pit is a character that emphasizes and excels at stage control. I keep seeing these ideas that he has to 'commit' when Pit can not commit while retaining control.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
If anything Pit is very strong at reactive play through good positioning , which does allow him to hold stage control which will slowly lead to an opening that may result in a kill, but it definitely isn't a lie that Pit is one of, if not the most 'honest' character

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
who cares about honesty
honest characters will never be top tier.
Unless you have a game where the power level is shifted in a such a way that the top/high tiers are honest while the mid tiers and lower are horribly designed (think melee kirby). But even then, are they really 'honest' in relativity to the mid tiers and lower?

Eh, sounds like a boring game anyways.

Last edited:

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
This whole 'Pit can't make mistakes' thing is ignoring the fact that Pit is very good at keeping people in bad positions. He has a top 5 juggle game and also some of the best ledge play. What you'll see Earth (as well as Kuro) do a lot is hit someone up or off the stage and continually reset the situation while piling on damage with arrows and an attack to hit them back into a bad position. Pit isn't really committing to anything while doing this, and it's very consistent. Pit is a character who might sometimes take a while to kill you, but he'll have stage control for a minute before he kills you, hitting you off the stage over and over until something kills you. With the combination of arrows, up air, up smash, dash attack, and pivot grabs. Pit can reliably cover landing options. Neutral air, down smash, forward tilt, up smash, and grabs pretty much cover the ledge. This stuff happens all the time when I see Earth play; Kuro can do the same things advantage state-wise but is worse at arrows and neutral. In any case, Pit is a character that emphasizes and excels at stage control. I keep seeing these ideas that he has to 'commit' when Pit can not commit while retaining control.
Most of what Pit does is a decent commitment. He has NO safe grounded moves, and nothing faster than frame 5 on the ground surely doesn't help his CQC. Don't get me wrong, Pit does have a good neutral game, but he's not Sheik. Arrows aren't that great at keeping people out. I'm in the minority with this, but I think his up smash sucks. It doesn't connect from the sides and the first two swings have this awkward meteor hitbox that sometimes drops opponents out of it (happens the most when sharking Battlefield platforms). Dash attack is a good burst option, but the hitbox isn't that big and it's far from safe. His aerials can be good for poking at the opponent, but they must be autocanceled due to their above average landing lag. It also doesn't help that nair and fair have garbage hitboxes.

This sounds overly pessimistic, but there's a reason Pit isn't used much besides the fact that "he's boring". He honestly doesn't have that many good things going for him.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Most of what Pit does is a decent commitment. He has NO safe grounded moves, and nothing faster than frame 5 on the ground surely doesn't help his CQC. Don't get me wrong, Pit does have a good neutral game, but he's not Sheik. Arrows aren't that great at keeping people out. I'm in the minority with this, but I think his up smash sucks. It doesn't connect from the sides and the first two swings have this awkward meteor hitbox that sometimes drops opponents out of it (happens the most when sharking Battlefield platforms). Dash attack is a good burst option, but the hitbox isn't that big and it's far from safe. His aerials can be good for poking at the opponent, but they must be autocanceled due to their above average landing lag. It also doesn't help that nair and fair have garbage hitboxes.

This sounds overly pessimistic, but there's a reason Pit isn't used much besides the fact that "he's boring". He honestly doesn't have that many good things going for him.
It's not about being safe with moves (generally although certain options are, mainly nair). It's about playing safe, tricky, and reactively with Pit's strong movement options to apply pressure and find an opportunity. As with the reactive stage control stuff, this is literally exactly what Earth does so you can watch any of his sets and understand what I'm saying. The amount of times Earth actually gets punished for using an unsafe option is rare because the way he plays the character doesn't require unsafe options.

Furthermore, Dash Attack's hitbox is really good...and his up smash is also really good. You're looking at these moves through the wrong lens. You use dash attack reactively out of movement and in burst range. Theoretically dash attack is unsafe, but in practice you don't really commit to dash attacks that won't hit so there's nothing to get punished before. Up smash is for catching landings, not scooping people up from the ground, and it's very good at that purpose.

I feel like many people simply don't understand how Pit plays neutral and try to make sense of things by looking at his individual move options. Pit plays neutral by baiting and reacting with intelligent dashes, rolls, and perfect pivots. A mixup he uses is run-up nair which beats buttons quite effectively despite its 'poor hitbox'. He uses dash attack and dash grab in combination with his movement options, as well as mixups with down smash and the occasional spaced aerial. He maybe shoots an arrow when he's far away, but they aren't really used as a neutral tool. This is why I always tell people to watch Pit being played at top level instead of trying to understand the character on paper. Pit is not a character you can understand without seeing in action.

Last edited:

BTVolta

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of near-dead characters, when was the last time Wii Fit did anything? I can't remember the last time I heard anything about her especially at higher level play.

Did everyone just drop her?
This assumes anyone picked her up. Outside of John's recent Glitch 2 performance she hasn't had any outstanding results. A slew of 49ths, 33rds, and lower from a few in the US. Rin and Heavy smokers results aren't too good in japan. Wave has been playing more Wii Fit recently, and I haven't heard of any recent results from Ascwolf recently.

Wii Fit is very much an interesting low tier who can force people to play her game if they don't understand it, but she starts to fall apart once you know what to know and just force her to play a fighting game with you. Johns recent MU chart really shows this with so many bad MUs with common tourney picks, but Wii Fits are getting smart and picking up good secondaries and co-mains(Johns corrin and Waves Frog).

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Is it really that Pit's not used much because he's too "simple" or "conventional" or "too based on fundamentals" though? Cuz like those words describe :4mario::4cloud: and they're some of the most used characters in the game. They're also better characters than Pit/Dank Pit, but "there's alternatives that do the same thing but better" has never really stopped people before.

how many pockets does this man have lol
I think it is because Pit/Dark Pit lack things that could be deemed as "explosive" qualities, which is something that you find very often within the top tiers.

Mario, for example, has "explosive" qualities in regards to his combo potential and surplus of safe defensive options.

Cloud has incredible power, disjoint, and the ability to provoke people thanks to Limit. And, oddly enough, his weak recovery might actually appeal to the drive of some players to further make them determined to play him, as opposed to being a direct deterrent.

Fox, whom is often labeled as an "honest" top tier, also has noticeably "explosive" qualities in speed, combos, and boxing capability. And, just like Cloud, his punishable recovery might actually serve as a drive to some players (but not all).

The Pits, despite being simple/conventional and based upon fundamentals, seem to lack any sort of quality that would fall within the same vein. And additionally, it could also explain why people initially saw Ryu as being better than he actually is, though I think that I myself previously fell within that same mindset as well. Additionally, this appeal to "explosiveness" could definitely apply to the popularity of lowered tiered characters as well, such as Roy.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
If every character in this game was as honest as Pit or as bad as Melee Kirby this game would die faster than brawl.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The way people talk about honesty and top tiers and all that, it all sounds like what they really mean is this:

"A top tier character is someone that can get away with a lot of things they shouldn't."

Bat Within lets Bayonetta escape combos she "shouldn't." Diddy down tilt is absurdly safe. Cloud has all sorts of shenanigans. Mario has crazy-good frame data. Etc. etc.

Pit has nothing truly crazy, but he also has tools for every situation you can think of. The catch is that you need to still make the right decision with them. You can't just throw things out and hope good frame data or some unique effect will save you. Every decision matters, but at the same time Pit always likely has a decision worth making. At the end of the day, you have to outplay and out-think your opponent. While for other characters this can be a tall order, I don't think I've ever heard of a truly bad matchup for Pit.

I interviewed Pit months ago, but I want to bring up something from it:

Why did you become a Pit user? What is Pit’s appeal to you?

Earth: I like characters with no glaring weaknesses and an orthodox style of play with plenty of possibilities, so that’s why I became a Pit user.

Pit appeals to me because he’s all about observing your opponent’s actions and exploiting their weaknesses in neutral. In this respect, he has good moves you can throw out such as dash attack and up smash.
What this says to me is that using Pit means you have to actually enjoy the neutral. You can't just think of the neutral as the means to getting a combo in, or that neutral is only enjoyable when you hold all the cards in it and your opponent is SOL. It might be true that having mostly Pit-esque characters would cause the game's excitement factor to suffer, but this is supposed to be a competitive scene--I thought we would appreciate a character who is built around one of the fundamentals of fighting games.

The fact that ZeRO, who is praised for his neutral game, looks up to Earth for his understanding of the neutral game, tells me a lot about what Pit is all about.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
This whole 'Pit can't make mistakes' thing is ignoring the fact that Pit is very good at keeping people in bad positions. He has a top 5 juggle game and also some of the best ledge play
Pit's juggle game is only top 5 if you completely forget about Rosa, Cloud, Bayonetta, Rosa, Pikachu, Mario, Ness, ZSS, and Rosa
And before someone starts a huge thing about Pikachu's juggle game not being good, may I remind you that up air is like an entire Pikachu's worth of disjoint that starts on frame 4, lasts four frames, has a faf of 27, up tilt is just a grounded up air that comes out on frame 7, and then there's Thunder

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Pit's juggle game is only top 5 if you completely forget about Rosa, Cloud, Bayonetta, Rosa, Pikachu, Mario, Ness, ZSS, and Rosa
And before someone starts a huge thing about Pikachu's juggle game not being good, may I remind you that up air is like an entire Pikachu's worth of disjoint that starts on frame 4, lasts four frames, has a faf of 27, up tilt is just a grounded up air that comes out on frame 7, and then there's Thunder
Better than Mario, Pikachu, Ness, and probably ZSS too. Pit's juggle game is really consistent.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
It doesn't really matter if it fits exactly into a subjective top multiple of five ranking. It's just understanding that Pit's juggling is really good.

Even characters extremely good at juggling don't have Pit's dash attack, which puts out a huge disjointed hitbox at a distance in almost no time. It can catch just about all landing options on reaction.

Also TheGoodGuava TheGoodGuava Fox probably has the best juggling game, or at least on par with Rosa and ZSS.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Better than Mario, Pikachu, Ness, and probably ZSS too. Pit's juggle game is really consistent.
What makes it more consistent than characters who beat airdodges, have the mobility to punish almost all landing options, and have projectiles for landing traps?

Vyrnx Vyrnx Fox or Rosa I'd say, they're both broken

EDIT: Honestly I don't agree with Pit's juggle game even being in the same caliber as Fox, Rosalina, Cloud, or Bayonetta's. He has good tools yes but they cannot compare to the stupidity of those characters.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Personally I think Earth is damn genius of a player and it's more a reflection of himself rather than the character (although he does show very well what pit can do).

If you really wanted a reactive character with strong tools, Rosalina/Diddy would be better alternatives of course.
Pit is very good but I don't think his lack of results bar Earth is due to lack of representation... He is just... Forgive me, Too honest compared to alternatives

Last edited:

QualityQ

Smash Apprentice
I'll come out from lurking since people are talking about the Pits again.

I have a ton of respect for Earth and the 5 other Pit mains on the planet for putting up with such a boring character. There's nothing fun or redeeming about him. Isn't killing off of a hard read or fthrow at like 150. Dysfunctional hitboxes that leads to really bad reach for a "sword" character. Long recovery that has trouble sweetspotting the ledge and take forever so you can just get hit over and over. Anything you want with the Pits you have to work so much harder for than most other characters (even ones "worse" than them) because they're the smash equivalent of a potato.
Mostly agree with this, but in terms of why Pit's popularity is low is most precisely:

1. Lack of extreme tradeoffs; that is, Pit has very few cases that can be considered "high risk/high reward." We see a LOT of characters in this game have more popularity purely because, if high risk/high reward is successful, a massive advantage can be gained (even if the character has several downsides that work against playing that character). It's like the lottery: people like the big jackpot of huge money even if the odds are ridiculously low, over a lottery that were to give a lower payout but perhaps had better odds.

2. Some weird hitbox stuff that should have been fixed. (Note the missed spikes are mostly salt. You can also play around it sometimes, or simply react to it when it occurs, but d*mn is it annoying when it happens.)

If anything Pit is very strong at reactive play through good positioning , which does allow him to hold stage control which will slowly lead to an opening that may result in a kill, but it definitely isn't a lie that Pit is one of, if not the most 'honest' character
The "honest character" idea is kind of silly to me because Pit's down-special, Guardian Orbitars, can really invalidate a few matchups in a way that doesn't really seem "honest." Simply block their recovery entirely or go on edge-off-short hop-down B if they have some way to work around it. Pit has no problem getting people off the ledge from his solid neutral either. I think the lack of Pit popularity is mostly responsible for the "honest" stereotype.

In particular, I think his down-special may have some untapped potential in matchups that are traditionally seen as unfavorable. For example here, where down-special can stop Rosa's upair chain when Rosa commits (also shown is the tradeoff if it misses, although I feel Earth still made the best decision there since at his % either option would kill). I'm interested to what that could do against a good Bayonetta, although I haven't encountered many great Bayo's yet.

Having a favorable or 50/50 matchup with a good portion of top tiers isn't something to scoff at, either. And there's a whole slew of interesting Pit videos of strings/attacks that haven't been put in practice yet. I'm still labbing downthrow -> turnaround bair, for example, which has been looking like another promising option so far.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
It might be true that having mostly Pit-esque characters would cause the game's excitement factor to suffer, but this is supposed to be a competitive scene--I thought we would appreciate a character who is built around one of the fundamentals of fighting games.
Fundamentals are great and all, but a game can't survive entirely based off of them. People are constantly complaining about SFV and how limited it is, the lack of diversity, no real deepness with the game, etc... even though the game is heavily referencing back to the old street fighter. But, what's ironic about that is the fact that they tried to get rid of vortex-y gameplay, option selects, and other stuff, when classic SF had an ABUNDANCE of those features and was thoroughly loved. A game needs to be full of possibility and options to be able to last long (ST, MvC2, UMvC3, melee, KOF98, etc...).

Pit is ok, but if DHD, bowjow, or doc Mario got buffed substantially, I would main them without any pondering. Pit seems like a mid-close range all-round character, but I need a character that is literally good at everything.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Fundamentals are great and all, but a game can't survive entirely based off of them. People are constantly complaining about SFV and how limited it is, the lack of diversity, no real deepness with the game, etc... even though the game is heavily referencing back to the old street fighter. But, what's ironic about that is the fact that they tried to get rid of vortex-y gameplay, option selects, and other stuff, when classic SF had an ABUNDANCE of those features and was thoroughly loved. A game needs to be full of possibility and options to be able to last long (ST, MvC2, UMvC3, melee, KOF98, etc...).

Pit is ok, but if DHD, bowjow, or doc Mario got buffed substantially, I would main them without any pondering. Pit seems like a mid-close range all-round character, but I need a character that is literally good at everything.
The Sheikah would love to have you.
Most options in the game and no weaknesses aside from the one really dumb game mechanic.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

A character that is literally good at everything would make up for a boring game. :metaknight: was good at literally everything and look how that turned out. Contradicts your Street Fighter argument as well. A point to consider is that the characters who trivialized every MU for being good at everything (Diddy, Sheik) got nerfed.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
A character that is literally good at everything would make up for a boring game. :metaknight: was good at literally everything and look how that turned out. Contradicts your Street Fighter argument as well. A point to consider is that the characters who trivialized every MU for being good at everything (Diddy, Sheik) got nerfed.
He wasn't good st everything; he was godlike at everything

They were also godlike at everything. There's a difference

Good at everything is SF Ryu, Most smash top tiers are similar to marvel, where they are just insane.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Heres a theoretical question to maybe spark some interesting discussion...

What are some things that certain top 10 players lack? suboptimal punishes (consistently, not one mistake), weird neutral choices, completely ignoring an option, ignoring an important tech?

Or, what is something you think we should be seeing at top level play, but we arent yet?

Or, finally, what is something one player does best that should be adopted?

Mine would be that, from my viewpoint, it seems Zero walks more than almost anyone. Ally does the reverse "skid" animation to throw off timing, while leaving him ready to launch forward with a bair at any time.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Firstly, minor nitpick, @Chainz. Usmash is frame 6 not Frame 5.

Personally I like to think of Pit as a character who is only as good as his Player, how well you do with Pit relies solely on how well you play. He doesn't have any BS overtuned moves like the top tiers, no bogus incentives or reward to pick the character over others, but at the same time he's not bad at all. Definitely good enough to hold his own. I mean Kuro went toe to toe with both Mr.R and Dabuz at umebura S.A.T. managing to take games, and it goes without saying that he's not even on the same level as either of them.

Pit seems so basic only because that's the way the Japanese Pit mains play him but there really is alot more depth to him. Most people just don't know it because lets be real did you ever bother to look up a Pit video besides Earth?

Admittedly yeah some of Pit's hitboxes are ass but hey we make do with what we have, If people fall out of nair why not use it as a kill confirm. It's definitely unreliable enough although the timing is strict but if people are starting to consistently use step dashes and perfect pivots there's no reason that we can't get consistent at this. Nair may look like a terrible move but it's still a frame 4 multihit that's safe on shield and in neutral.
https://gfycat.com/MadTalkativeAlaskankleekai

B-reverse side B covers a great amount of distance. It's pretty good at beating out landings as it can cover both airdodges and attacks thrown out. People say it's slow and punishable, well duh do you want Dark Pit running around with a fast lagless electroshock? not that I'd mind.
https://gfycat.com/JovialBarrenIchneumonfly

I'm hearing stuff like Pit's reach is bad or he has no safe grounded pokes.
For reference Pit's dash attack is frame 7 and has more reach (due to the burst) than Corrin's instapin which comes out frame 8. Pit's blades don't exactly have much disjoint by themeselves but combine them with the way Pit contorts his body to reach out further and you have some good range.

Admittedly his grounded pokes are pretty lacklustre (understatement for dtilt, god what was the point of that move). But Jab makes up for it. It's safe and leads into grabs. Also it has nice range~
https://gfycat.com/EuphoricSmoothLangur

And Megamang Megamang was right, Dair is really good for footstool combos :3. And this is only scratching the surface of it, you can rinse and repeat the combo there are more complicated setups, kill setups, throw setups etc. Dair itself does 10% fresh.
https://gfycat.com/UncomfortableValuableBluegill

tl;dr Pit is not exceptional by any means but don't start undermining him if you don't know what he's fully capable of.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Heres a theoretical question to maybe spark some interesting discussion...

What are some things that certain top 10 players lack? suboptimal punishes (consistently, not one mistake), weird neutral choices, completely ignoring an option, ignoring an important tech?

Or, what is something you think we should be seeing at top level play, but we arent yet?

Or, finally, what is something one player does best that should be adopted?

Mine would be that, from my viewpoint, it seems Zero walks more than almost anyone. Ally does the reverse "skid" animation to throw off timing, while leaving him ready to launch forward with a bair at any time.
Ally's movement options are lackluster and he relies on reads/guesses more than anyone else.
Ledge jump is the option he chooses off the ledge 90% of the time and he never really uses some of Mario's really good off ledge options like the SHAD mixups.
Rather than covering one option and adapting the option coverage to what the opponent tends to choose, he often covers the same option over and over again until the opponent mindgames themselves into falling for it(a lot like the Melee M2K grab thing).
He burns his jumps extremely early instead of saving them due to being over reliant on Mario's good airspeed/airdodge and SJP intangibility. If you follow him in the air with a character that has a lingering hitbox with low lag, you can usually snipe him out of airdodge or before SJP and instantly kill him.
Like most Mario players he'll walk up to you then try to bait an option by standing in a threatening range, but if you throw an unreactable disjoint move at him his amazing reaction time won't really matter and he usually gets hit for it.
etc

Nairo/Larry/Mr. R's ability to extend advantage for as long as possible without resetting to neutral constantly is something we should be seeing more, but don't because a lot of players are horrible at safe offensive pressure.

NairWizard

Somewhere
most people don't have a damned clue about how to maintain advantage

really sad, honestly, when you don't know your own character's safe extensions.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
That would be good if both Uair and Utilt didn't do like 4%. Like, Pika has to land four juggle moves just to equal one Fox Uair. Good juggling is about how much damage you can rack up on someone trying to land, not purely how long you can keep them in the air.

As a side note, imagine how terrifying Earth would be if he actually played a character with some bull****.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
As a side note, imagine how terrifying Earth would be if he actually played a character with some bull****.
Thank goodness our demons are angels, then. ;)

Extending advantage is generally what separates great players from good players. This game is so balanced that you have to be unfair if you really want to have an edge, and that applies to playstyles / in-game choices just as much as it does to selecting your character.

D

Deleted member

How does everyone feel about :4samus: these days?

It just seems like the character has really fallen off. Jonny Westside has gotten underwhelming results for months now (to the point where he's no longer even top 20 in SoCal), and we rarely see the character place high at many regionals/majors. It just seemed like early this year with 1.1.5 and all that there was this hype for her being low-mid or whatever, then it just suddenly died. There's Afro Smash over in the UK putting in work, but that's all I can think of right now. It's sad because the character does have some threatening tools for a low tier (Charge Shot demands a lot of respect, long-distanced and hard to gimp recovery, good zair, dash attack is amazing), but her weaknesses really bring down what gameplan she wants to play.

Where do you guys all think she's headed in the meta?

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Personally I think Earth is damn genius of a player and it's more a reflection of himself rather than the character (although he does show very well what pit can do).
While we're on the topic, I want to talk about the old argument that it's the player, not the character.

A player is never better than a character. Nothing a player does with a character is something that the character can't do. Everything the player can do during a game is something the character can do.

For instance, if Earth plays Pit very well but nobody else replicates his results, then Earth is an exception. But these Pit players are all playing the same character, and Earth's is the highest level by far. It doesn't mean that Earth is good and Pit is bad, that's just what high level Pit looks like, because during a game, Pit is the tool through which Earth plays the game.

For instance, Earth's Pit, Tweek's Jr., or Dath's Robin. All of these instances count or mean something for the character's ability. If we say that Dath is really good and Robin isn't, we're forgetting that Dath's game play is an extension of and influenced by the character. Usually saying a player is just really good but a character isn't is a way to attempt to disregard a character's top level results with an excuse, but why ignore the results of a less common character if they have top level results? They don't suddenly stop counting. Hypothetically, if someone really optimized Jigglypuff and started placing top 8, we couldn't just say that the player is good and not consider the results, because they are winning with Jigglypuff. An example would be Abadango's Mewtwo winning Pound and some people at the time saying that it's mostly Abadango.

Whether a player would do better with a different character is another matter. We can always say that so and so player would do so much better with Diddy/Mewtwo/Bayonetta, but these are established top tiers and that's obvious. Of course they could do better, because we know these characters to be some of the best in the game and that's how top tiers work. It still doesn't mean that an exceptional player of an uncommon character is too good for that character because so far they are well known because of how they do with that character.

It's stylistic preference. The top players have characters that match them stylistically, and characters that influence them to play a certain way. ZSS perfectly complements Nairo, Diddy Zero, Rosa Dabuz, Mario Ally, etc. Earth plays Pit for a reason. He's a very good player, but not better than Pit.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
How does everyone feel about :4samus: these days?

It just seems like the character has really fallen off. Jonny Westside has gotten underwhelming results for months now (to the point where he's no longer even top 20 in SoCal), and we rarely see the character place high at many regionals/majors. It just seemed like early this year with 1.1.5 and all that there was this hype for her being low-mid or whatever, then it just suddenly died. There's Afro Smash over in the UK putting in work, but that's all I can think of right now. It's sad because the character does have some threatening tools for a low tier (Charge Shot demands a lot of respect, long-distanced and hard to gimp recovery, good zair, dash attack is amazing), but her weaknesses really bring down what gameplan she wants to play.

Where do you guys all think she's headed in the meta?
I feel :4samus: is similar to :4kirby: in a lot of ways. Both have relatively lackluster results (though MikeKirby still gets decent results to a degree), both have good aspects about them that keep them from being bottom tier (Kirby has F-Throw combos, damage output, good frame data, U-tilt, good kill power, and U-Throw), and both seemed to have had their hype days behind them. While I wouldn't go as far as to say both characters are terrible, I will say that Samus and Kirby aren't going to be relevant to the meta for a while, if ever again. We'll probably see glimpses of them, but they'll likely be relegated to either counterpicks or strictly in locals. That's just my hypothesis though.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
On Reddit there was an interesting post using the results @Das Koopa compiled to make a 1.16 tier list. The main change is that unlike Das Koopa's lists, he extends past top 16's into top 64 at big tournaments while limiting category 1 tournaments to just top 8.

freeziebeatz said:
Tournaments are categorized to account for differing skill pools.

Category 1 = Locals/Regionals. Average tournies in Europe/Australia and other Continents outside North America are usually category 1 tournies, most odd-state tournies that reach 96+ entrants are category 1 tournies, etc. Usually around 90-150 entrants. Only Top 8s are taken.

Category 2 = Large Regionals or Regionals in very strong regions. 2GGT/Umebura/Sumabato tournies generally are second category, for example. Usually 200-300 entrants. Top 16 is taken.

Category 3 = Majors and semi-majors. Pound 2016 and GOML are prime examples of this, whereas tournaments that like Umebura SAT, KTAR Saga, and Shine 2016 are listed as C3 due to their particularly large skill pools even if they're not quite as stacked as normal majors. Usually 300-600 entrants. Top 32 is taken.

Category 4 = Supermajors. Past examples include tournaments such as Apex 2015, EVO 2015, Genesis 3, CEO 2016, SSC 2016, EVO 2016, etc. +600 Entrants. Top 64 is taken

With each category increase, the point shares also increase.

Placing - Category 4/3/2/1

1st - 12/10/8/6pts

2nd - 11/9/7/5pts

3rd - 10/8/6/4pts

4th - 9/7/5/3pts

5th - 8/6/4/2pts

7th - 7/5/3/1pts

9th - 6/4/2pts

13th - 5/3/1pts

17th - 4/2pts

25th - 3/1pts

33rd - 2pts

49th - 1pt

Characters who have won games in tournaments are the ones that gets points. If a player used a character and it did not win, it is not counted.
The above resulted in this:

Here are how characters trended over time:

I couldn't find something similar in Das Koopa's thread to compare but thought it might bring up some discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom