• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
I dunno how Bayo struggles at killing when her dtilt uair/turnaround bair works forever, on top of kill throw/raw bair/uair and nair 1 for safe kills.

Now what she also has on top of these safe moves are...

dair mixup that kills super early
Witch time into whatever, more and more situations will be optimised.
Roofio kills which still exist, the design of the moves are still the same
Witch twist 1 got a small buff in the fact it links into side b at pretty much every % (pre patch stopped at like 110-140%)
Dabk to abk to uair still is a thing
A stock cap fthrow (stock cap throws are underrated in general in my opinion.
Fair 1,2 strings which are LEGIT especially on Fox because he would never want to airdodge that low offstage (if he does then Bayo can just kill him from there)

Bayo on top of having extremely good bnb's also has a lot of silly early kill jank which Sheik/Diddy kinda lacks which is also a thing people don't bring up when it comes to Sheik/Diddy weakness (they can kill consistently at a very high %, but not very early aside from gimps
Dtilt stop work at about 130-140. They can just jump.
Dabk to abk to uair only works at high percent or if they DABK in.

Last edited:

Fenny

Smash Ace
As I said, I'm not putting Bayo in the same vein as prepatch luigi or even calling her "broken"

I just think she's overtuned and the ARGUMENTS you're using to defend her also apply to prepatch luigi. So having weaknesses and bad mus alone just isn't a valid defense for the character. We need to determine of this weaknesses are in fact in line with her reward and strengths in relation to the other characters.

Especially when, matchups are REALLY hard to determine
I'm arguing she's overtuned (par the course of a top tier) but not broken so I guess we're on the same page anyway lmao

As Feelmeup has stated though, her return from the ledge is also likely the best in the game so the risk isn't as high as all that. If she had to take absolutely no risk then the issue would be much more obvious, right?

Even her return can get the opponent killed or table turned very easily.
True enough, but being able to kill on stage with safety and consistency like say Diddy or Mario can is something she doesn't really have outside of mid-high percent ladder combos.

Ah, I brought up two examples so I got confused which your quote referred to. Still, game 3 had no SDs and the other example had none at all from what I saw.

With the examples of sheik v bayo present at high level competitive play coupled with Salem's expressed belief bayo loses no matchups (not taking his word as law just under consideration) I just don't really think there's evidence to state bayo v sheik is all that bad at this current point in the meta.
I personally think that Sheik's only slightly losing to even, since she solidly beats her in the neutral and frame data but Bayo's large hitboxes make catching Shiek's openings easier and gets more reward off of punishes. Just that the way VoiD plays the MU is the best I've seen from a Sheik so far.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I'm talking about when it's spaced to crossup shield. Dropping shield and dash grabbing/attacking heel1 is very possible, but if they heel2 you'll need to shield to get a punish. And shielding unnecessarily can result in forfeiting pressure to Bayo. (Witch twist being the most optimal mix-up I've seen)
You already know whether she's going to do heel2 based upon whether she's shooting purple bullets during the slide.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I'm arguing she's overtuned (par the course of a top tier) but not broken so I guess we're on the same page anyway lmao
Mmm, to me overtuned is something in need of nerfs or retweaking. I don't believe top tiers are overtuned by definition or in general.

True enough, but being able to kill on stage with safety and consistency like say Diddy or Mario can is something she doesn't really have outside of mid-high percent ladder combos.
In neutral? Perhaps. Though fishing for bair/twists/times/fthrows (to kill or l/edgeguard is fine) is more than efficient at that percent, it's a very similar game to ZSS at that percent. But those mid-high combos are extremely consistent and you can get to those percents in as little as two or one true combos.

However, the biggest issue with her is that she kills from her disadvantage VERY consistently due to all her mixups. No other character has such versatile counterlandings.

And it's getting to the point where it feels like I'm supposed to say

"Yea she has the best edgeguarding"
"Yea she has a near monopoly on ledgeguarding"
"Yea she kills off disadvantage more than any other character"
"Yea she kills off advantage earlier than any other character"
"Yea she has witch time"
"Yea she has a bunch of somewhat inconsistent but wildly potent kill confirms"

"..But she's bad at killing"

I'm just not feeling it, I'm sorry. If you want to defend Bayo, claim she's not in need of nerfs, fine. I like to consider myself one of the more open-mined players, but it's not going to happen going down this line of logic.

I personally think that Sheik's only slightly losing to even, since she solidly beats her in the neutral and frame data but Bayo's large hitboxes make catching Shiek's openings easier and gets more reward off of punishes. Just that the way VoiD plays the MU is the best I've seen from a Sheik so far.
Sheik's neutral makes it hard to judge many reward-based matchups. Which is why I didn't want to prioritize MU discussion over kit comparison.

You already know whether she's going to do heel2 based upon whether she's shooting purple bullets during the slide.
You're certain you can do the bullets and not kick?

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Just checked, you can definitely do bullets without kicking.

Dtilt stop work at about 130-140. They can just jump.
Registers as a true combo on mario till 168. It's training mode, and excluding rage but even your given percents are pretty forgiving. Even sheik's downtilt doesn't confirm that late usually.

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there's any evidence that bayo wins this matchup (or that fox wins it for that matter)

I don't know of a single instance of two top level players of these characters playing each other lol.
No Top Fox has ever met a top Bayo in 1.1.6.

Breaks my heart.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The timing is extremely precise and you won't get a lot of bullets.
It didn't seem very precise to me... Like, just don't tap special and you'll get some bullets. It's hard to get max bullets maybe, but you just need a few to feign the kick and keep it a mix up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It didn't seem very precise to me...
Either practice it or look it up with as many details as you can. Otherwise we get a "Pac-Man's grab has less endlag" situation again. Not to mention it's a possibility that after a certain frame, it locks into the kick, as you should always be watching Bayo's feet, it'll be more noticeable

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Either practice it or look it up with as many details as you can. Otherwise we get a "Pac-Man's grab has less endlag" situation again. Not to mention it's a possibility that after a certain frame, it locks into the kick, as you should always be watching Bayo's feet, it'll be more noticeable
Seems like you just need to let go before frame 15 (first hitbox). Easily consistent. She keeps shooting the bullets after though so it feigns the kick fine. Honestly it just naturally flows with the option select anyway, it does it automatically if you just don't tap it. With it already being such a slight visual cue, any further denial that it can be a safe mixup is going to be more like the "You can react to ZSS's grab" situation.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Whether she gets potent damage off the bullets from Heel Slide is besides the point.

What matters is that she can shoot Bullets without converting into the flip at the end, so it's just more guessing games that she can win hard for if you guess wrong. You can't use the bullets as a tell to react from.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Whether she gets potent damage off the bullets from Heel Slide is besides the point.

What matters is that she can shoot Bullets without converting into the flip at the end, so it's just more guessing games that she can win hard for if you guess wrong. You can't use the bullets as a tell to react from.
If the bullets don't come out, then you can safely say that the flip kick isn't coming. But yeah, bullets do not necessarily mean flip kick.

Regarding the issue of Bayonetta having a hard time killing...the only way I can see that holding water is if you have a bunch of qualifying asterisks at which point the statement sort of loses meaning. It's just not something I associate with her at all. Not only does she have her (in)famous ladder combos, her edgeguarding is phenomenal and Witch Time lets her punish overextensions with a stock. At best, I could say that if her opponent plays the keepaway game well enough, she can have a hard time finding the opening to get in. But frankly, I don't see too many examples of players willing to play the lame game like that.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The ideal gameplan for Diddy vs Bayo is banana camping in shield and using his silly low commitment rolls/amazing PP shield to reposition yourself. Never running unless you're certain you will get something from it as well, because that's the main cause of getting caught by Side B. ZeRo, however, spent a large portion of the game using his new playstyle instead of his old one.

This new playstyle is what you see vs Ally where he relies a lot on crossup bairs, empty hopping with his back towards you, and less fair than before. It's not good vs Bayo at all because it doesn't exploit the fact that she has a HORRIBLE risk reward ratio with approaching banana in hand shielding Diddy. ZeRo also constantly....yknow, approached with the lead. Which is really dumb in this matchup because you can popgun camp on platforms/on the ground and mix that up with JCIT down to grab or popgun cancel to item toss to whatever followup you want.

Hell, a lot of the time he would opt to not go for banana at all. Sure, Bayo can destroy it on reaction if in range but this itself can be unsafe because Diddy has the option to instantly punish Bayo for using Bullet Climax in attempt to destroy the banana. Dude would literally sit in shield with no banana in hand CONSTANTLY, which made Salem have 0 fear of dash in approaches on Diddy.

and to top it all off, he didn't ledge trap her properly at all.
To be frank, Bayo can't really be ledge trapped very well by any character in the game. Her off the ledge game is probably the best on the roster. But Diddy has the option to place the banana on neutral getup and popgun camp. If you do the standard ledge trap where you attempt to react to all options with grab, bair and dashback grab Bayo can just dABK/WT out of the way for free to a distance where you can't get her and safely land with bair.
I'd say ZeRo wasn't playing the matchup correctly. He played well in his own way, but definitely didn't play the MU correctly.
His resets to neutral were mediocre. His advantage(aside from on the ledge) was amazing. His SDI was amazing.
But his neutral itself was really bad.
and that's not how you play against Bayo.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

Edit:

I won't lie, the reason for me saying that is watching VoiD play with Pink on stream. Have no idea which VOD it was so I couldn't really give you a link.
One quick question - doesn't ZeRo often do banana-less because of Witch Time?

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
So why are talking about :4bayonetta: but not :4marth:? Mr. E did beat Pink Fresh in Glitch 2 grand finals.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Are you denying she's the best edgeguarder in the game?.
Shes a strong edgeguarder yes but there\s a LOT of competition for best edgeguarder. I don't see how she can be better than Sheik, MK and Pikachu, Villager, or even Marcina. All Bayonetta really has that makes her edgeguarding "the best" is WT against hitbox recoveries with no intangibility, up air, bair, nair, and a situational dsmash. Now compare that to Sheik's fair, bair, nair, needles, bouncing fish, and vanish all destroying peoples recoveries almost risk free.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
regarding bayo I find a common denominator I'm my local scene:the players that play also traditional fighters aren't struggling with her as much. just a local observation.
players aren't correctly punishing her end lag. if she is active in the air she has a large emount of end lag. I watched the wf, wsf, and gf sets with pink and he's not scared to land anywhere even when he's unsafe because he knows he won't be punished. and before someone says it's witchtime bait remember that he'd have to witchtime before he hots the ground. it's not the correct punish to swing before she lands. and it's never correct to charge a smash attack.
as for people saying the di Argument is invalid watching all the sets I could I saw people escape in the match where zach was eliminated he couldn't get the kill at all. even pink had issues confirming kills without witchtime assistance at times.
DunnoBro DunnoBro even if she b reverses witch twist can't you sdi down or up?
and someone corect me if I'm wrong but most of these extremely rewarding combos for bayo start with heel slide right? that move frame wise, startup, and safety is horrible outside of a tech chase there is no reason for that to hit you and no reason why she shouldn't eat a punish for it. pink fresh was sliding around like it was her sprint. it needs to be punished.
anyway olimar what does the future hold?
Let's be realistic here: Smash players have never been very good at playing like they're playing traditional fighters. The two communities have very different attitudes overall. It's why there's so much tension between them. There is overlap but generally speaking FGC people are different from Smash players. It's the unfortunate truth.

Or we can bring back in the Bayonetta Ban discussion so we don't re-add a poison into the meta like we did in Brawl if she gets that bad in order to keep the game's lifespan longer. :b:

*runs away dodging various thrown objects*
Refer to the above statement.

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
It's amazing how far Marth has come. This is the best solo placing he's gotten, right? Discounting dual-main Leo.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Shes a strong edgeguarder yes but there\s a LOT of competition for best edgeguarder. I don't see how she can be better than Sheik, MK and Pikachu, Villager, or even Marcina. All Bayonetta really has that makes her edgeguarding "the best" is WT against hitbox recoveries with no intangibility, up air, bair, nair, and a situational dsmash. Now compare that to Sheik's fair, bair, nair, needles, bouncing fish, and vanish all destroying peoples recoveries almost risk free.
i still see villager as the best at edgegaurding. he can go as deep as he wants, drop a smash attack offstage, tree setups, and fair and bair just destroy most characters offstage and he has a ridiculous spike and upair. hes the only character that can put out multip[le hitboxes at once that can all kill you offstage.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
So why are talking about :4bayonetta: but not :4marth:? Mr. E did beat Pink Fresh in Glitch 2 grand finals.
I mean, tbh, we seem to talk about Marth quite frequently and unfortunately whenever we do Lucina is brought up or vice versa. (To clarify, I don't mean discussing Lucina is unfortunate, rather that the fact that we can't seem to separate the two and treat them as their own characters when discussing them and because of this we often just end up discussing their kill confirms over and over and over and how they differ and how Marth has better jab confirms, Lucina relies more on nair, blah blah blah.)

However, I feel it important to note just how much Marth players have improved their neutral in the last few months. I think part of it can be attributed Marth having a decent pre-patch Bayonetta match up, driving some more players to him thus helping to develop him further. Since then other match ups have been improved such as Diddy Kong, Sonic, Sheik, and Cloud to name a few, with the possibility that some match ups will continue to progress into Marth's favor. It also helps a lot that Marth's worse match ups are not common characters (Toon Link, Mega Man can be problematic at times).

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Lucina Still more than 1 spot below Marth? Smh. Maybe v.3.0 will see the truth here. Meanwhile, I'm glad to see Marth is higher than he was last time (Last list was an inaccurate disaster imo). Also think ZSS is top 5... but whatever.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
are there any characters that do well against toon link? just a random question
:4cloud:is commonly considered toon link's worst matchup(Zan put it as toon link's worst matchup). Hyuga also lost to tweek 3-1 at CEO. Here's the set to give an idea of why its his worst mu.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
There's no need for Tweek to respect Toon Link's tether so much when Cloud's nair is like the perfect tool for gimping tether recovery attempts.

>disjointed arcing hitbox
>fast
>The move pretty much sends them at the perfect gimping angle
>10 active frames

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
One project I'd be interested in trying is a Smogon-styled Viability rankings as opposed to a direct tier list. In a Viability Rankings, the characters would be ranked in groups (S, A+, A-, and so on) and then discussion could be taken to directly move those characters up and down the ranks. This would be different from the VR in the sense that the CCI is more broad discussion while a Viability Rankings would be more focussed and offer a clearer result, but would also be more narrow than the CCI, differentiating the two. What do you guys think?

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Tier lists in Pokemon are more factual and more based off of statistics, since Pokemon takes much less skill than Smash.
I really like discussing tier lists and making them by myself, but a lot of the time I avoid tier list talks among certain groups, because it just ends up in arguments instead of productive or interesting discussion. I'm a person who believes that every character can do well and win and does not dismiss lower tier characters. You just have to discuss it with the right people, I guess. I do realize that tiers are a factor and they do matter, but they don't completely dictate the outcome of a match.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Tier lists in Pokemon are more factual and more based off of statistics, since Pokemon takes much less skill than Smash.
I really like discussing tier lists and making them by myself, but a lot of the time I avoid tier list talks among certain groups, because it just ends up in arguments instead of productive or interesting discussion. I'm a person who believes that every character can do well and win and does not dismiss lower tier characters. You just have to discuss it with the right people, I guess. I do realize that tiers are a factor and they do matter, but they don't completely dictate the outcome of a match.
Viability rankings also matter a lot more in Pokemon, since your skill as a player can't compensate for worse Pokemon. Also, such in-depth rankings would also take much more skill and effort to properly explain to new players.

And trust me, the Smogon community does a terrible job of explaining even the basics of the competitive meta, much less the intricacies; you do NOT want that style of compendium for Smash.

DE235

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Decrosis
3DS FC
1977-0197-7138
Quick question what does "overtuned" mean and why would it mean that something needs to be nerfed. Can't it also mean that other characters just need to be buffed?

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
One project I'd be interested in trying is a Smogon-styled Viability rankings as opposed to a direct tier list. In a Viability Rankings, the characters would be ranked in groups (S, A+, A-, and so on) and then discussion could be taken to directly move those characters up and down the ranks. This would be different from the VR in the sense that the CCI is more broad discussion while a Viability Rankings would be more focussed and offer a clearer result, but would also be more narrow than the CCI, differentiating the two. What do you guys think?
I'm not seeing the difference.

Placements into OU, UU, etc. are done via usage, similarly to Das Koopa's rankings (S tier/OU is cutoff after a certain point).

Viability Ranking then looks at those in OU and evaluates them- something that is popular might not necessarily be good in OU though (Gen 4 Electivire is a very popular example).

It could be useful to see who might be better/more instrumental in our meta but we already talk about it already.

Tell me if I'm misunderstanding

scald is broken

Last edited:

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Viability rankings also matter a lot more in Pokemon, since your skill as a player can't compensate for worse Pokemon. Also, such in-depth rankings would also take much more skill and effort to properly explain to new players.

And trust me, the Smogon community does a terrible job of explaining even the basics of the competitive meta, much less the intricacies; you do NOT want that style of compendium for Smash.
I love Pokemon and play it competitively, but my consistency with playing the game is much less than Smash. Some days I just don't want to play Pokemon due to getting haxed or something. Then I get slightly sad that I lost a battle due to chance, but thats a part of the game. If you play competitive pokemon, you realize that the game has a lot of luck and not as much skill involved as other games.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Imagine what kind of consistency Smash would have if their were 500 unique characters and 300 semi-clones.

Obviously there are certain random elements in Pokemon that don't exist in Smash, but it's not as simple as that. In any given turn I can at least visualize every single possible move that I might make, that my opponent might make, and how they interact, accounting for randomness. Doing so in every frame, or even every engagement, in a fighting game is biologically impossible. Ultimately, turn based game's "neutral" is there from the start, whereas every single player in Smash as something technical that they could be doing better. Kind of like chess (rpg's) vs sports (fighting games/shooters/mobas).

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
One quick question - doesn't ZeRo often do banana-less because of Witch Time?
Witch Time on an aerial is far more likely than WT on a banana. Besides, Banana Diddy vs Bayo is almost 0 risk med reward while aerial Diddy vs Bayo is med risk low reward.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Witch Time on an aerial is far more likely than WT on a banana. Besides, Banana Diddy vs Bayo is almost 0 risk med reward while aerial Diddy vs Bayo is med risk low reward.
If there's a banana on the ground Bayo can Witch Time off the lingering 'trip box' at any time and use WT's AoE properties to snare Diddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom