• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The new tier list makes me realize that probably no player has more influence on character perception than Abadango. Character rankings seem to live and die by whether he chooses to keep using them.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Oh, Diddy is definitely the best. His movekit doesn't allow for anything lower.

Between Brawl, Smash 4, and even Project M, it's going to take a complete design overhaul to kick Diddy any lower than Top 3 in any game he's in.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Oh, hello new thread.

Marth is a better character than that, boi o boi

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing Ike's rather low due to Japan's views on him.
I wish more people were willing to say they didn't know the MU on a chart. There's 58 characters; there's no shame in not knowing how to play against Mii Gunner or Bowser Jr. In this case, there are, what, two decent Ikes in Japan? And neither of them are in KEN's region.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
It's not really a big example when he didn't even lose the game to it. The fact he immediately even stocks out and proceeded to still lose, to his own bad DI no less, is not an example of rage determining a set.

I looked up his track record at tournaments, and his only loss to a Corrin in pools was Blue Beast, who who beat 2-0 in the pool finals. The VOD of his loss doesn't exist, so there's no real way to extrapolate on how he lost the set. It could've been player error, it could've been gimps, but we don't really know. As with the Prince Ramen example where ZeRo simply made mistakes and got outplayed, it's presumptuous to assume that that was due to game mechanics.

Ally's losses in 2016 out of 28 tournaments:

Dismantle 2: DKWill (1-2), Nairo (1-3)
Southern Ohio Smash: Zinoto (Game #s unknown)
Wombo Wednesday 21: Shaky (1-2), Ranai (0-2)
GENESIS 3: Ranai (1-3), Nairo (1-3)
Frosty Faustings 3: JJROCKETS (1-3)
Landlocked: Ryuga (1-3), Dabuz (0-3)
Breakout 2: Zinoto x2 (Games #s unknown)
Shots Fired 2: 9B (1-2), ANTi (1-3)
OUTFOXX'd: Mr. R (1-3), Mr. R (0-3)
Pound 2016: VoiD (0-3), Abadango (0-3)
ConComics 2016: Hyuga (0-3)
EGLX: Mew2King (2-3), Nairo (0-3)
NEW FISH: Larry Lurr (1-3), Larry Lurr (1-3)
Momocon 2016: Wrath (0-2), Nairo (2-3)
Smash n' Splash 2: Ned (1-3)
Breakout II: AoH Vanity (0-2)
CEO 2016 Blue Beast (0-2), Zenyou (1-2)
Midwest Mayhem 4: 6WX (2-3), Hyuga (1-3)
Clutch City Clash: Samsora (0-2), Samsora (2-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: 6WX (1-2), VoiD (1-3)
Endgame: Mew2King (1-3), ZeRo (1-3)

Out of the 34 set losses in 2016, only 3 seem to be particularly unusual. You could call his losses to JJ and Shaky abnormal, but in fairness, both have some impressive accomplishments and could feasibly drop a top player, especially as early in the year as those losses were taken before Ally had even broken out with huge wins. Same applies to DKWill, especially since the common viewpoint at the time was that DK > Mario in terms of matchups.

Ned, Wrath, and Samsora all appear to be totally worthy players with good accomplishments. Wrath has not lost a set to anybody in GA in months, Ned has beaten Zinoto and continues to be a challenge for Ally, and Samsora had a grand total of 7 games, the last of which one where Ally made a critical SD that robbed his already waning chances of a comeback.

I can't comment much of his loss to Vanity, besides that:
-Ally stated he was really good
-Vanity made 9th at the tourney, getting beaten by Blacktwins, who went on a roll and even bested Zinoto, getting 4th at the tourney.

Games 2 and 3 (the ones Zenyou won) of Ally v. Zenyou are online, and judging from the footage, both simply played evenly. Zenyou has accomplishments under his belt, he's 5th on the PR of what's probably the strongest individual region in the world, I don't think it's that absurd especially considering Ally got KO'd by intelligent edgeguarding on Zenyou's part. The game also descended into upsmash wars, but this was after numerous equal exchanges in the neutral.

You could argue that only 2 would be unpredictable, and we regrettably lack footage of either set to make any sort of reasonable judgment call. I would say that, judging by this, major upsets are rare if he set losses are generally to people at or around his level.

VoiD injured his hand at Mexico Saga. IIRC, it got stepped on when he was trying to get candy from a pinata they had bust open. I don't imagine this is a huge coincidence, considering it's his worst placement of the year and the only other time he scored out of a top 8 at a tourney he's attended.

Because he made a bunch of bad decisions that led to him getting gimped twice. This is what I'm talking about when I say people don't examine the upsets. He played bad and got punished in harshest manner because Cloud's recovery is atrocious if you allow it to get exploited like that. I mean, he literally missed a "style points" Dair to try and finish the guy's stock and SD'd.

ANTi, playing Cloud, got KO'd in the starting seconds of game 1 against Xaltis and overall did not play the set to his best capacity judging by his errors; No footage of Dath vs. ANTi exist to my knowledge, but Dath made top 32 at both CEO and EVO and is generally one of Florida's better players.

While I've already noted his lost to Day was likely junky (he apparently got upsmash at 30-40% and died lol), he definitely is responsible for his own loss against Mr. E, it seems - he airdodges quite a ways below the ledge and can't recovery with Diddy, causing him to lose game 3.

I'm not really at liberty to comment much on the Mewtwo ditto since I have no idea and I'll post it for someone else to analyze, though Rich won Game 1 by punishing either a mispaced Nair or an empty hop on Abadango's part. There didn't seem to be any 2 stock/rage mechanic nonsense happening in the match.

When there are a couple of dozen players, the loser's bracket in top 12/8 is pretty much always going to be stacked, lol. Some people in Loser's weren't even major upsets, given the context:

-6WX had taken a set off of Ally before. Upset, but not a huge one.
-Taiheita beating Marss is definitely an example of Taiheita simply being underrated. Not really much on an upset.
-Mr. R > Zinoto isn't an upset.
-6WX > Tweek isn't an upset.
-VoiD > Pink Fresh isn't an upset.

Part of the reason loser's looked especially stacked is because the qualifer for top 24 naturally throws one of two world-class players into loser's bracket. ScAtt beating Dabuz, while an upset, is not something indicative of massive inconsistency, since ScAtt is a capable player playing an increasingly optimized character.

There were still an unusually high number of significant upsets, but it's pretty bad to accuse me of exaggerating when several of the examples you listed are barely even valid examples in the context of the discussion. E.g., the top players were not playing their best and lost to somebody who was playing the game better at that point. Few of these were determined by "jank".

It's entirely fair. We're talking about better vs. lesser players, but the lesser players happened to play a better game than the "better" player, because the better player wasn't playing to their top capacity or some X other circumstance, lost the set, and got sent to loser's. Nairo's comparison to Dark Souls in a recent interview is pretty apt. You can't play less than your best.

Bringing up Melee again, with not even 2 year sunk into the game vs. over a decade with the other, you can expect less consistency at the top level since the top players of the younger game have lacked the sheer amount of time and history to refine their gameplay.

Basically; The "Smash 4 is inconsistent" comment is exaggerated and the simplified reasons for it are generally not the cause of upsets, and few upsets that happen are true examples of a "random" beating a top player, with numerous caveats and nuances that people often miss.

the top 8s are generally familiar because top players in loser's bracket often lost to other top players in loser's quarters, due to the aforementioned giant pool of good players that make these circumstances inevitable
I never stated rage+2 stocks were the only factors for inconsistency. Quite the contrary, I listed several other reasons afterwards and concluded that Smash 4 is inherently designed to give lesser players a stronger chance of winning. I'll quote it again in case you missed it:

I've been thinking a lot about Smash 4's inconsistency lately and I think I've narrowed down some of the underlying causes outside of the obvious ones.

Smash 4 is just inherently designed to give lesser players a stronger chance of winning and I'm not just talking about rage. Here are some other factors that help bridge the skill gap:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recoveries are easier than they have ever been thanks to no ledge hogging and buffed recoveries in general (an obvious example of this is Fox/Falco). In previous games top players would do option coverage/flow chart precise edge guards so if you were a lesser player that wasn't stellar at mixing up your options you'd be screwed. Now a lot of characters just make it back for free. Some force you to think more like Cloud but that's an exception, not the norm.

Rolls are better frame data wise than in previous games on average. Also hitboxes are largely nerfed in Smash 4 making it harder to catch rolls. This is important because it means simply rolling gets you out of a lot of pressure situations on the ground you'd just have to have dealt with in previous games. Rolls are punishable but you had to have known it was coming and been at the perfect spot to wait for the punish already, or hard read it. It's why random forward rolls are so effective with so many characters in the game, if the opponent is mixing it up and it's unexpected, they are quite safe.

Air dodges are arguably better than before despite adding landing lag unlike Brawl. This is because frame data wise in the air, air dodges are actually superior to Brawl. That's why some characters can air dodge and then still perform an action in one short hop. Many have obscenely low ending frames to punish them. So it's not rare to see someone totally have the read or reaction but miss the air dodge punish anyway because it recovered too quickly during a raw juggle situation (not talking about 50/50s). Not to mention with no threat of a ledge hog just retreating to the ledge while getting juggled is extremely safe with most characters.

Less crucial advanced tech to master. Smash 4 has PPs, the newly discovered step dashes and more. But none of these things are absolutely necessary to play the game at high level (most top players don't even use PP after almost 2 years). Compare this to Melee, 64 or Brawl.

In Melee if you can't L cancel (also applies to 64) dash dance or wavedash well, you are at too big of a disadvantage. In Brawl there were plenty of character specific ATs that were essential to their play. Icys weren't nearly as good without the chaingrab infinite, Falco wasn't nearly as threatening without DACUS, good SHLs or IAP, ZSS was far better with glide tossing and precise item control etc.

SDI is also far less effective in previous games and it used to be a huge difference maker at higher levels of play. This was another layer of depth to master that new players no longer have to worry about as no one can take as much advantage of it. Rarely anyone lives or gets out of moves/combos they shouldn't thanks to crazy SDI. So typical follow-ups remain largely the same whether you hit an average player or a top one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All in all I think Nintendo definitely succeeded in what they set out to do. In Smash 4 due to all these reasons you always feel like you have a chance no matter how good your opponent is. No, randoms are not going to win or even make top 8s at majors. But they always have a shot of upsetting established tournament threats early on in bracket, especially in a BO3.
And yes you are very much being misleading by implying upsets don't happen very often when between both of us, we've already mentioned 20+ and that's just in the past few months and without mentioning several others.

"There were still an unusually high number of significant upsets, but it's pretty bad to accuse me of exaggerating when several of the examples you listed are barely even valid examples in the context of the discussion. E.g., the top players were not playing their best and lost to somebody who was playing the game better at that point. Few of these were determined by "jank"."

That's such a bad excuse for inconsistency. "Oh the top players weren't playing as well as they could be". In fact, it explains absolutely nothing.

This argument falls apart as soon as you look at results from all the other Smash games. Are Smash 4 top players special snowflakes despite most of them coming from Brawl? Why is it so hard to admit the game itself might be a factor?

As for Nairo's post he doesn't explain inconsistency either. All he really says is that there are way more killers now. We all already know there are way more threats in Smash 4, that's not the question, the question is why? Why is the skill gap so close compared to previous games?

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
ZeRo didn't put Charizard in Bottom or Low Tier :D
Mid tier will be gigantic.

I never stated rage+2 stocks were the only factors for inconsistency. Quite the contrary, I listed several other reasons afterwards and concluded that Smash 4 is inherently designed to give lesser players a stronger chance of winning. I'll quote it again in case you missed it:

And yes you are very much being misleading by implying upsets don't happen very often when between both of us, we've already mentioned 20+ and that's just in the past few months and without mentioning several others.

"There were still an unusually high number of significant upsets, but it's pretty bad to accuse me of exaggerating when several of the examples you listed are barely even valid examples in the context of the discussion. E.g., the top players were not playing their best and lost to somebody who was playing the game better at that point. Few of these were determined by "jank"."

That's such a bad excuse for inconsistency. "Oh the top players weren't playing as well as they could be". In fact, it explains absolutely nothing.

This argument falls apart as soon as you look at results from all the other Smash games. Are Smash 4 top players special snowflakes despite most of them coming from Brawl? Why is it so hard to admit the game itself might be a factor?
Tbqh, if you're using basic game mechanics that come into play every match as a reason for upsets, that's still easily explained by "player error."

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I agree that Marth is maybe a bit better than the new list lets on, but I also have small disagreements all over the chart, so it's probably not worth me getting nitpicky over. Marth > Corrin seems like a given to me, but maybe not. I only know of Corrin in any detail, and his matchup spread isn't bad at all. Enough -1s to make lower high tier seem like a good resting place.

Fox, Sheik, and Diddy are pretty lousy but all doable imo, Mega Man, Sonic, and ZSS are probably slightly negative as well, and Corrin has more evens with relevant characters than you can shake a stick at, as well as good Rosalina and Ness matchups. I used to think Corrin was more or less a mid tier character, but now I honestly think he could maybe be solo viable. Won't be winning any majors, but nothing gatekeeps him super hard.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Mid tier will be gigantic.

Tbqh, if you're using basic game mechanics that come into play every match as a reason for upsets, that's still easily explained by "player error."
Most of those things as I explained, were factors that separated top players from high-mid level players in previous games. But now in a lot of those areas, the playing field is evened out.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
stuff

There might be small MoEs on the participated/wons since I didn't include instances of sandbagging in the set losses but may have included a win in a tourney where a player had sandbagged a set and later won. Tournies used are taken from SmashWiki's list of tournies on player profiles. The "won" value includes locals the site lists, so evidently not all wins are equal, just a useful staistic.

C9 ALLY (Participated in 27 tournaments, won 11)
ALLY

TOTAL: 37 LOSSES

TSM ZERO (Participated in 15 tournaments, won 7)
Get On My Level 2016: Mew2King (0-3), Ally (2-3)
2GGT: Mexico Saga: Larry Lurr (2-3), Larry Lurr (2-3)
Wednesday Night Fights 2.5: ANTi (1-3), ANTi (0-3)
Smash n’ Splash 2: Ally (1-3), Ally (1-3)
CEO 2016: Prince Ramen (0-2), Larry Lurr (0-3)
WTFox2: Dabuz (2-3), Mr. R (1-3)
EVO 2016: Mr. E (1-2), Kamemushi (0-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: Day (0-2), Ally (1-3)
Endgame: Mew2King (2-3)

TOTAL: 17 LOSSES

DABUZ (Participated in 20 tournaments, won 7)
Dismantle 2: Nairo (2-3), Nairo (1-3)
KTAR XVI: Nairo (2-3), Nairo (0-3)
GENESIS 3: ZeRo (2-3), ZeRo (2-3)
Landlocked: Zinoto (1-3), Zinoto (2-3)
Shots Fired 2: Tweek (1-3), Mr. R (2-3)
Pound 2016: Abadango (2-3), Larry Lurr (1-3)
KTAR XVIII: Nairo (2-3), Nairo (1-3)
CEO 2016: ANTi (2-3), Zinoto (1-3)
EVO 2016: Ally (0-2), Ranai (1-2)
Smash Factor V: Mr. R (1-3), MKLeo (2-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: ScAtt (1-2), Nairo (1-3)
Umebura SAT: KEN (1-3), KEN (0-3)

TOTAL: 24 LOSSES

ABADANGO (Participated in 18 tournaments, won 6)
Umebura Genesis Cup: Shu (1-2), Shu (1-2)
GENESIS 3: Zan (1-2), Zinoto (0-2)
Umebura 21: Nietono (1-2), Nyanko (?-?)
Umebura 22: Kept (1-2), Brood (?-?)
Midwest Mayhem 2: DarkShad (1-2), Tyroy (0-3)
BAM 8: 9B (1-3), Mr. R (1-3)
Umebura 23: Tsu- (?-?), Nyaha (?-?)
Smash n’ Splash 2: ZeRo (0-3), Zinoto (0-3)
CEO 2016: Dabuz (1-3), Zinoto (2-3)
EVO 2016: Ranai (1-2), ZeRo (0-2)
Super Smash Con: Rich Brown (1-2), Ally (2-3)
Umebura SAT: Taiheita (0-2), Nietono (0-2)

NRG NAIRO (Participated in 26 tournaments, won 15)
Dismantle 2: Dabuz (1-3)
GENESIS 3: Hyuga (0-2), Dabuz (0-3)
Smash4-Ever #33: LoF Blue (1-2)
Shots Fired 2: Mr. R (1-3)
Do or DI: Dabuz (0-3), ANTi (0-3)
Pound 2016: Saj (1-2), Mr. II (1-2)
CSBV27: Chrim Foish (2-3)
EGLX: Ally (0-3)
Get On My Level 2016: MKLeo (1-3), ZeRo (0-3)
KTAR XVIII: DireOnFire (0-2)
Low Tier City 4: ZeRo (2-3), ZeRo (1-3)
CEO 2016: Zinoto (0-2), Hyuga (1-2)
EVO 2016: Ranai (1-2), Larry Lurr (1-2)
Umebura SAT: KEN (0-3), Dabuz (1-3)

TOTAL: 22 LOSSES

MR. R (Participated in 22 tournaments, won 7)
GENESIS 3: ZeRo (0-3), Larry Lurr (2-3)
Shots Fired 2: Dabuz (1-3), Nairo (1-3)
Glitch: VoiD (0-3), VoiD (0-3)
Midwest Mayhem: Ally (1-3), Ally (1-3)
Pound 2016: Pink Fresh (1-2), Ally (2-3)
Super Smash on the Hill: Dabuz (0-3), Dabuz (1-3)
BAM 8: Abadango (1-3)
Get On My Level 2016: Larry Lurr (2-3), ZeRo (2-3)
Smash Factor Prelude: MKLeo (0-3)
CEO 2016: ANTi (0-3), Abadango (1-3)
WTFox 2: Dabuz (2-3), Dabuz (1-3)
EVO 2016: Kamemushi (0-2), Trela (1-2)
Falcon Punch Friday 7: VoiD (1-3), VoiD (2-3)
2GGT: KTAR Saga: Pink Fresh (1-3), VoiD (2-3)
Smash Factor V: MKLeo (0-3), MKLeo (2-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: Nairo (2-3), Dabuz (0-3)
Umebura SAT: Kamemushi (0-2), Nairo (1-3)

TOTAL: 32 LOSSES

CLG VOID (Participated in 30 tournaments, won 11)
2GGT: ESAM Saga: ZeRo (0-3), ZeRo (1-3)
GENESIS 3: Dabuz (0-3), Dabuz (1-3)
PAX Arena: ZeRo (0-3), ZeRo (1-3)
2GGT: EE Saga: ZeRo (1-3), Larry Lurr (2-3)
2GGT: FOW Saga: Tearbear (0-2), Falln (1-3)
Pound 2016: Abadango (0-3), MR. R (1-3)
KawaiiKon 2016: Jalex (1-2), Larry Lurr (0-3)
Midwest Mayhem 2: Zinoto (1-3), Abadango (1-3)
2GGT: Fresh Saga: Tyrant (2-3), Trela (1-3)
LVL UP EXPO: Nairo (1-3), Nairo (2-3)
Momocon 2016: LordMix (1-2), Ally (1-3)
2GGT: Mexico Saga: KOSSismoss (1-2), Aarvark (1-2)
KTAR XVIII: Dabuz (0-3), Nairo (2-3)
Apex 2016: Dabuz (1-3), Dabuz (2-3)
CEO 2016: ANTi (0-2), Abadango (2-3)
FAD: EVO or BUST!: Zan (2-3), K9 (2-3)
EVO 2016: Kamemushi (1-2), ZeRo (0-2)
2GGT KTAR Saga: Zan (1-2), Marss (1-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: Nairo (2-3), Dabuz (1-3)
Wednesday Night Fights 3.3: Aphro (0-3)

TOTAL: 39 LOSSES

ELEVATE | LARRY LURR (Participated in 18 tournaments, won 4)
2GGT: ESAM Saga: K9 (0-2), VoiD (2-3)
GENESIS 3: FOW (0-3), VoiD (1-3)
2GGT: The False Awakens: Nicko (1-2), Tyrant (2-3)
2GGT: EE Saga: VoiD (2-3), ZeRo (2-3)
2GGT: FOW Saga: Nairo (1-3), Nairo (2-3)
Pound 2016: Tweek (1-2), Ally (1-3)
KawaiiKon 2016: VoiD (1-3)
Frame Perfect 2016: Zenyou (1-2), K9 (?-?)
LVL UP EXPO: VoiD (0-3), VoiD (1-3)
Get On My Level 2016: Ally (1-3), ZeRo (2-3)
CATI #3: Trela (0-3), Trela (1-3)
2GGT: Mexico Saga: ZeRo (2-3)
CEO 2016: Zinoto (2-3), Abadango (1-3)
EVO 2016: Abadango (0-2), ZeRo (0-2)
2GGT: KTAR Saga: Marss (0-3), VoiD (0-3)
Rio de Janeiro eGames Showcase: Ally (0-3), Ally (2-3)

TOTAL: 30 LOSSES

ANTI (Participated in 13 tournaments, won 5)
PAX Arena: JBandrew (1-3), FOW (1-3)
Nebulous Prime 26: Ninjalink (1-3)
Winter Brawl X: 6WX (2-3), 6WX (2-3)
Shots Fired 2: Tweek (2-3), Mr. R (2-3)
Do or DI: Hyuga (0-3), Dabuz (2-3)
OUTFOXX’D: Mr. R (1-3), Mew2King (2-3)
Battle of BC: Angis (1-3)
Get On My Level 2016: Ally (0-3), Nairo (0-3)
Wednesday Night Fights: 2.5: ZeRo (2-3)
CEO 2016: Zinoto (0-3)
EVO 2016: Xaltis (1-2), Dath (1-2)
Super Smash Con 2016: True Blue (1-2), Dabuz (1-3)

TOTAL: 20 LOSSES

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh, Diddy is definitely the best. His movekit doesn't allow for anything lower.

Between Brawl, Smash 4, and even Project M, it's going to take a complete design overhaul to kick Diddy any lower than Top 3 in any game he's in.
A lot of it is about how his banana works with the rest of his kit, nerf one or the other and he would drop.

I wouldn't have either, but I got zard bias. :D

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
A lot of it is about how his banana works with the rest of his kit, nerf one or the other and he would drop.
Diddy's bananaless kit is still leagues above many other characters.

How they looked at Diddy's Dtilt, Fair, Bair, Side B, and Neutral B's easy-cancel, and thought all those at once were good enough is amazing.

Many characters would kill to have one of those things. Diddy gets all 5. And then the Banana on top of it.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Even without his banana Diddy would still likely be at least top 10 in Smash 4, maybe even still top 5. His banana isn't as polarizing as it was in Brawl or Project M. He gets one, it doesn't last forever nor does it do much against aerial opponents and it loses against plenty of hitboxes. Plus his glide toss is only jump cancel based and doesn't go as far, nor can he do it in backwards slide while in neutrla like in Brawl/PM.

But he has great mobility, several good pokes, the best command grab, a great grab game for damage racking, one of the most reliable kill confirms in down tilt and fantastic landing options.

His only real weakness is his offstage recovery game. And no that's not just a Zero problem as some claim. Every DIddy top or otherwise gets gimped. It's not hard to predict what he's going to do based off his current positioning and if you hit him out of his up B just once, he's usually dead.

If Diddy had a great recovery he'd probably be in a tier of his own. As of now I think he's the best/second best character but not by much and it's really debatable. Some argue there is no best character in Smash 4 anymore.

Speaking of Brawl and Project M, Diddy's viability there + in Smash 4 makes him the best overall Smash character. He's never not been top 5. The same can't be said for any other character.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Most of those things as I explained, were factors that separated top players from high-mid level players in previous games. But now in a lot of those areas, the playing field is evened out.
I agree. Ultimately, the way players separate themselves will have to be different from past games.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
stuff

There might be small MoEs on the participated/wons since I didn't include instances of sandbagging in the set losses but may have included a win in a tourney where a player had sandbagged a set and later won. Tournies used are taken from SmashWiki's list of tournies on player profiles. The "won" value includes locals the site lists, so evidently not all wins are equal, just a useful staistic.

C9 ALLY (Participated in 27 tournaments, won 11)
ALLY

TOTAL: 37 LOSSES

TSM ZERO (Participated in 15 tournaments, won 7)
Get On My Level 2016: Mew2King (0-3), Ally (2-3)
2GGT: Mexico Saga: Larry Lurr (2-3), Larry Lurr (2-3)
Wednesday Night Fights 2.5: ANTi (1-3), ANTi (0-3)
Smash n’ Splash 2: Ally (1-3), Ally (1-3)
CEO 2016: Prince Ramen (0-2), Larry Lurr (0-3)
WTFox2: Dabuz (2-3), Mr. R (1-3)
EVO 2016: Mr. E (1-2), Kamemushi (0-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: Day (0-2), Ally (1-3)
Endgame: Mew2King (2-3)

TOTAL: 17 LOSSES

DABUZ (Participated in 20 tournaments, won 7)
Dismantle 2: Nairo (2-3), Nairo (1-3)
KTAR XVI: Nairo (2-3), Nairo (0-3)
GENESIS 3: ZeRo (2-3), ZeRo (2-3)
Landlocked: Zinoto (1-3), Zinoto (2-3)
Shots Fired 2: Tweek (1-3), Mr. R (2-3)
Pound 2016: Abadango (2-3), Larry Lurr (1-3)
KTAR XVIII: Nairo (2-3), Nairo (1-3)
CEO 2016: ANTi (2-3), Zinoto (1-3)
EVO 2016: Ally (0-2), Ranai (1-2)
Smash Factor V: Mr. R (1-3), MKLeo (2-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: ScAtt (1-2), Nairo (1-3)
Umebura SAT: KEN (1-3), KEN (0-3)

ABADANGO (Participated in 18 tournaments, won 6)
Umebura Genesis Cup: Shu (1-2), Shu (1-2)
GENESIS 3: Zan (1-2), Zinoto (0-2)
Umebura 21: Nietono (1-2), Nyanko (?-?)
Umebura 22: Kept (1-2), Brood (?-?)
Midwest Mayhem 2: DarkShad (1-2), Tyroy (0-3)
BAM 8: 9B (1-3), Mr. R (1-3)
Umebura 23: Tsu- (?-?), Nyaha (?-?)
Smash n’ Splash 2: ZeRo (0-3), Zinoto (0-3)
CEO 2016: Dabuz (1-3), Zinoto (2-3)
EVO 2016: Ranai (1-2), ZeRo (0-2)
Super Smash Con: Rich Brown (1-2), Ally (2-3)
Umebura SAT: Taiheita (0-2), Nietono (0-2)

NRG NAIRO (Participated in 26 tournaments, won 15)
Dismantle 2: Dabuz (1-3)
GENESIS 3: Hyuga (0-2), Dabuz (0-3)
Smash4-Ever #33: LoF Blue (1-2)
Shots Fired 2: Mr. R (1-3)
Do or DI: Dabuz (0-3), ANTi (0-3)
Pound 2016: Saj (1-2), Mr. II (1-2)
CSBV27: Chrim Foish (2-3)
EGLX: Ally (0-3)
Get On My Level 2016: MKLeo (1-3), ZeRo (0-3)
KTAR XVIII: DireOnFire (0-2)
Low Tier City 4: ZeRo (2-3), ZeRo (1-3)
CEO 2016: Zinoto (0-2), Hyuga (1-2)
EVO 2016: Ranai (1-2), Larry Lurr (1-2)
Umebura SAT: KEN (0-3), Dabuz (1-3)

TOTAL: 22 LOSSES

MR. R (Participated in 22 tournaments, won 7)
GENESIS 3: ZeRo (0-3), Larry Lurr (2-3)
Shots Fired 2: Dabuz (1-3), Nairo (1-3)
Glitch: VoiD (0-3), VoiD (0-3)
Midwest Mayhem: Ally (1-3), Ally (1-3)
Pound 2016: Pink Fresh (1-2), Ally (2-3)
Super Smash on the Hill: Dabuz (0-3), Dabuz (1-3)
BAM 8: Abadango (1-3)
Get On My Level 2016: Larry Lurr (2-3), ZeRo (2-3)
Smash Factor Prelude: MKLeo (0-3)
CEO 2016: ANTi (0-3), Abadango (1-3)
WTFox 2: Dabuz (2-3), Dabuz (1-3)
EVO 2016: Kamemushi (0-2), Trela (1-2)
Falcon Punch Friday 7: VoiD (1-3), VoiD (2-3)
2GGT: KTAR Saga: Pink Fresh (1-3), VoiD (2-3)
Smash Factor V: MKLeo (0-3), MKLeo (2-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: Nairo (2-3), Dabuz (0-3)
Umebura SAT: Kamemushi (0-2), Nairo (1-3)

TOTAL: 32 LOSSES

CLG VOID (Participated in 30 tournaments, won 11)
2GGT: ESAM Saga: ZeRo (0-3), ZeRo (1-3)
GENESIS 3: Dabuz (0-3), Dabuz (1-3)
PAX Arena: ZeRo (0-3), ZeRo (1-3)
2GGT: EE Saga: ZeRo (1-3), Larry Lurr (2-3)
2GGT: FOW Saga: Tearbear (0-2), Falln (1-3)
Pound 2016: Abadango (0-3), MR. R (1-3)
KawaiiKon 2016: Jalex (1-2), Larry Lurr (0-3)
Midwest Mayhem 2: Zinoto (1-3), Abadango (1-3)
2GGT: Fresh Saga: Tyrant (2-3), Trela (1-3)
LVL UP EXPO: Nairo (1-3), Nairo (2-3)
Momocon 2016: LordMix (1-2), Ally (1-3)
2GGT: Mexico Saga: KOSSismoss (1-2), Aarvark (1-2)
KTAR XVIII: Dabuz (0-3), Nairo (2-3)
Apex 2016: Dabuz (1-3), Dabuz (2-3)
CEO 2016: ANTi (0-2), Abadango (2-3)
FAD: EVO or BUST!: Zan (2-3), K9 (2-3)
EVO 2016: Kamemushi (1-2), ZeRo (0-2)
2GGT KTAR Saga: Zan (1-2), Marss (1-3)
Super Smash Con 2016: Nairo (2-3), Dabuz (1-3)
Wednesday Night Fights 3.3: Aphro (0-3)

TOTAL: 39 LOSSES

ELEVATE | LARRY LURR (Participated in 18 tournaments, won 4)
2GGT: ESAM Saga: K9 (0-2), VoiD (2-3)
GENESIS 3: FOW (0-3), VoiD (1-3)
2GGT: The False Awakens: Nicko (1-2), Tyrant (2-3)
2GGT: EE Saga: VoiD (2-3), ZeRo (2-3)
2GGT: FOW Saga: Nairo (1-3), Nairo (2-3)
Pound 2016: Tweek (1-2), Ally (1-3)
KawaiiKon 2016: VoiD (1-3)
Frame Perfect 2016: Zenyou (1-2), K9 (?-?)
LVL UP EXPO: VoiD (0-3), VoiD (1-3)
Get On My Level 2016: Ally (1-3), ZeRo (2-3)
CATI #3: Trela (0-3), Trela (1-3)
2GGT: Mexico Saga: ZeRo (2-3)
CEO 2016: Zinoto (2-3), Abadango (1-3)
EVO 2016: Abadango (0-2), ZeRo (0-2)
2GGT: KTAR Saga: Marss (0-3), VoiD (0-3)
Rio de Janeiro eGames Showcase: Ally (0-3), Ally (2-3)

TOTAL: 30 LOSSES

ANTI (Participated in 13 tournaments, won 5)
PAX Arena: JBandrew (1-3), FOW (1-3)
Nebulous Prime 26: Ninjalink (1-3)
Winter Brawl X: 6WX (2-3), 6WX (2-3)
Shots Fired 2: Tweek (2-3), Mr. R (2-3)
Do or DI: Hyuga (0-3), Dabuz (2-3)
OUTFOXX’D: Mr. R (1-3), Mew2King (2-3)
Battle of BC: Angis (1-3)
Get On My Level 2016: Ally (0-3), Nairo (0-3)
Wednesday Night Fights: 2.5: ZeRo (2-3)
CEO 2016: Zinoto (0-3)
EVO 2016: Xaltis (1-2), Dath (1-2)
Super Smash Con 2016: True Blue (1-2), Dabuz (1-3)

TOTAL: 20 LOSSES
Think I'll just link to this from now on when people say our top players lose to randoms regularly.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Even without his banana Diddy would still likely be at least top 10 in Smash 4, maybe even still top 5. His banana isn't as polarizing as it was in Brawl or Project M. He gets one, it doesn't last forever nor does it do much against aerial opponents and it loses against plenty of hitboxes. Plus his glide toss is only jump cancel based and doesn't go as far, nor can he do it backwards like in Brawl/PM.

But he has great mobility, several good pokes, the best command grab, one of the most reliable kill confirms in down tilt and fantastic landing options.

His only real weakness is his offstage recovery game. And no that's not just a Zero problem as some claim. Every DIddy top or otherwise gets gimped. It's not hard to predict what he's going to do based off his current positioning and if you hit him out of his up B just once, he's usually dead.

But speaking of Brawl and Project M, Diddy's viability there + in Smash 4 makes him the best overall Smash character. He's never not been top 5. The same can't be said for any other character.
Just a minor correction but Diddy can jump cancel item toss backwards with his banana, unless I misunderstood what you said.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Just a minor correction but Diddy can jump cancel item toss backwards with his banana, unless I misunderstood what you said.
I'm assuming you are referring to dashing back and then turn around jump cancelling to throw it in the opposite direction?

Yeah I'm referring to something different. While in neutral or in shield, in Brawl/PM, Diddy could throw his banana in any direction including forward or down while sliding backwards thanks to roll cancel glide tossing (not present in Smash 4 as far as I know).

PM also introduced aerial glide tossing.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Even without his banana Diddy would still likely be at least top 10 in Smash 4, maybe even still top 5. His banana isn't as polarizing as it was in Brawl or Project M. He gets one, it doesn't last forever nor does it do much against aerial opponents and it loses against plenty of hitboxes. Plus his glide toss is only jump cancel based and doesn't go as far, nor can he do it in backwards slide while in neutrla like in Brawl/PM.

But he has great mobility, several good pokes, the best command grab, a great grab game for damage racking, one of the most reliable kill confirms in down tilt and fantastic landing options.

If Diddy had a great recovery he'd probably be in a tier of his own. As of now I think he's the best/second best character but not by much and it's really debatable. Some argue there is no best character in Smash 4 anymore.

Speaking of Brawl and Project M, Diddy's viability there + in Smash 4 makes him the best overall Smash character. He's never not been top 5. The same can't be said for any other character.
Hardly fair to rank a character thats only been in 2 real smash games as best overall. Fox,pika and marth have had better runs.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I'm assuming you are referring to dashing back and then turn around jump cancelling to throw it in the opposite direction?
No, diddy can glide toss backwards. He can glide toss in any direction

Edit: although he can glide toss in any direction, he can not dash throw in any direction (only forwards). This doesn't really matter though because glide tossing is more optimal anyways (less end lag) and can be done during a dash.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Hardly fair to rank a character thats only been in 2 real smash games as best overall. Fox,pika and marth have had better runs.
3 if you count PM. Which you really should, it has had a strong competitive scene for years and even after getting black listed tanks to Nintendo, still has a lot of tournaments/majors.

Pika hasn't been considered top tier in any game outside of 64. He's generally been high tier.
Marth might have been top tier in Brawl/Melee but definitely not Smash 4 or PM.
Fox is certainly top tier in Melee, probably PM as well, Smash 4, but definitely not Brawl. And high tier in 64.

So Fox is the only other contender really having been top tier in 3 out of the 5 games he's been in. I consider Diddy to be better because despite being in less games he has a better average track record. 1st in S4, 4th in Brawl, 5th at worst in PM (some argue he's the best).

No, diddy can glide toss backwards. He can glide toss in any direction
You mean by dashing correct? As he has to cancel the dash with a jump cancel? I'm aware of this but because you could roll cancel glide toss in Brawl/PM he could do it almost instantly while in neutral. Though now that I think about it it might not be much faster to initiate a roll.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
roll cancel glide tossing (not present in Smash 4 as far as I know)
Actually, if i remember correctly, roll cancel item tossing is in smash 4 but it doesn't result in as long of a slide as jump cancel glide tossing.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
and as an addendum to my data post, here's a fancy pie chart

Sets considered: 243
Standard Loss: 82.3%
Minor Upset: 8.2%
Major Upset: 9.5%

DKWill > Ally
Shaky > Ally
JJROCKETS > Ally
Ryuga > Ally
Wrath > Ally
Ned > Ally
Samsora > Ally
Samsora > Ally
6WX > Ally
6WX > Ally
ScAtt > Dabuz
Saj > Nairo
Falln > VoiD
LordMix > VoiD
Zan > VoiD
Zan > VoiD
Zenyou > Larry Lurr
Zan > Abadango
Kept > Abadango
Tsu- > Abadango

Vanity > Ally
Blue Beast > Ally
Zenyou > Ally
Prince Ramen > ZeRo
Mr. E > ZeRo
Day > ZeRo
Blue > Nairo
Chrim Foish > Nairo
Mr. II > Nairo
DireOnFire > Nairo
Tearbear > VoiD
Jalex > VoiD
Aphro > VoiD
Nicko > Larry Lurr
Jbandrew > ANTi
NinjaLink > ANTi
Angis > ANTi
Xaltis > ANTi
Dath > ANTi
True Blue > ANTi
DarkShad > Abadango
Nyaha > Abadango
Rich Brown > Abadango

-VoiD's losses to Kossismoss/Aarvark weren't included on the chart due to aforementioned hand injury likely being an external influence.
-Bo5 makes a difference in definitions between minor and major definitions, with "major"generally being reserved for particularly unusual wins.
-Japan is hard to quantify, but losses like Brood aren't really big upsets when Aba doesn't do well in Japan at all and when Brood has a decent track record.
-These are given some form of context. DKWill beating Ally months ago is not as significant as it would be today, both of Samsora's wins are considered minor as the greater context of the tournament demonstrates him to be an extremely good player, etc.

It's likely the upset number would continually drop if I included other players in this same skill range, namely Kamemushi and Zinoto, though it would increase if I included highly volatile players like Mew2King.

if we want to be more specific about it, let's basically narrow it down to the "randoms", with a little pessimism applied

Blue Beast > Ally
Vanity > Ally
Blue > Nairo
Mr. II > Nairo
DireOnFire > Nairo
Jalex > VoiD
Nicko > Larry Lurr
Jbandrew > ANTi
NinjaLink > ANTi
Angis > ANTi
Nyaha > Abadango

this is a little arbitrary but the numbers with only "randoms" hovers in the 4-5% range, give or take some sets you might find too be worthy/unworthy of the "random" title

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
You mean by dashing correct? As he has to cancel the dash with a jump cancel? I'm aware of this but because you could roll cancel glide toss in Brawl/PM he could do it almost instantly while in neutral. Though now that I think about it it might not be much faster to initiate a roll.
You dont need to dash to jump cancel, but theres no reason to jump cancel unless you're dashing because a standing item throw has the same lag as a glide toss.

Also you dont need to roll cancel item toss OoS because you can just throw the banana OoS without cancelling anything (including jumps)

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
You dont need to dash to jump cancel, but theres no reason to jump cancel unless you're dashing because a standing item throw has the same lag as a glide toss.

Also you dont need to roll cancel item toss OoS because you can just throw the banana OoS without cancelling anything (including jumps)
Yes I'm aware of all of this.

The reason you'd roll cancel item toss OOS is to gain a slide as you are tossing the item in Brawl/PM. You don't have to in those games either (can instantly item toss OOS as well), it's just sometimes better.

Why? So you can get better punishes (IE a charged downSmash/Fsmash). Or to reposition yourself quickly OOS (glide toss backwards+banana down).

In Smash 4 to get such a slide you'd need to first drop shield, initiate a dash, then jump cancel. This obviously takes much longer and thus won't work as in many situations as the previous method. So roll cancel glide tossing is superior.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Yeah, I just tested jcit oos and you hardly go anywhere. So while Diddy and others can go backwards or forwards and throw items in any direction, the option to slide is greatly hindered once in shield which is a distinction from Brawl/PM since glide tossing or roll cancelled item tosses were so much better.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
i completely forgot you could do it oos mostly because there's no reason to do it. anywhere you'd need to punish someone oos should be good with a normal smash/light throw oos.
jcit is something i only use if i'm dashing specifically for easy dtilt followups like dtilt jab after banana or dtilt dsmash without needing to foxtrot then pp dtilt.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
i completely forgot you could do it oos mostly because there's no reason to do it. anywhere you'd need to punish someone oos should be good with a normal smash/light throw oos.
jcit is something i only use if i'm dashing specifically for easy dtilt followups like dtilt jab after banana or dtilt dsmash without needing to foxtrot then pp dtilt.
There's no reason to do it because it's bad in this game (unless they do a super laggy moving giving you enough time to regularly drop shield first and then do the regular dash jump cancelled item toss).

In previous games you could Glide Toss forward OOS fast enough to get charged Smash attacks off. You wouldn't have enough time to walk forward and do this with regular item toss OOS.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Yes I'm aware of all of this.

The reason you'd roll cancel item toss OOS is to gain a slide as you are tossing the item in Brawl/PM. You don't have to in those games either (can instantly item toss OOS as well), it's just sometimes better.

Why? So you can get better punishes (IE a charged downSmash/Fsmash). Or to reposition yourself quickly OOS (glide toss backwards+banana down).

In Smash 4 to get such a slide you'd need to first drop shield, initiate a dash, then jump cancel. This obviously takes much longer and thus won't work as in many situations as the previous method. So roll cancel glide tossing is superior.
Ah you make a good point. In any case, there's obviously no disputing that bananas are significantly weaker than they were in previous games.

I played brawl the other day, and i had forgotten that bananas can be reused after they hit an opponent. And he can have 2. And they arent limited to 2 throws.

Overpowered

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Ah you make a good point. In any case, there's obviously no disputing that bananas are significantly weaker than they were in previous games.

I played brawl the other day, and i had forgotten that bananas can be reused after they hit an opponent. And he can have 2. And they arent limited to 2 throws.

Overpowered
And that's before getting into extended banana combos.

With 2 bananas and one of them hitting while you being in the correct position, thanks to glide tossing you could do repeated banana loops all across the stage for 30+ damage or death.

Then there was his single banana infinite. Really hard to catch people with and extremely hard to execute but it was a true zero-death on the entire cast. Zinoto in particular was infamous for it.

Last edited:

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
There's no reason to do it because it's bad in this game (unless they do a super laggy moving giving you enough time to regularly drop shield first and then do the regular dash jump cancelled item toss).

In previous games you could Glide Toss forward OOS fast enough to get charged Smash attacks off. You wouldn't have enough time to walk forward and do this with regular item toss OOS.
When i say item throw OoS i mean if you have the banana in hand, and press a while shielding, diddy will immediately throw the banana without the shield drop lag. This is very useful, and probably diddy's best OoS punish. Better than DTilt even

Edit: im sure you already know that, but i just wanted to clarify what i meant

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
When i say item throw OoS i mean if you have the banana in hand, and press a while shielding, diddy will immediately throw the banana without the shield drop lag. This is very useful, and probably diddy's best OoS punish. Better than DTilt even
I know what you mean.

I'm saying not only could you do this in Brawl/PM, you also had the option of doing this WHILE sliding in any direction thanks to roll cancel glide tossing. Again without regular shield drop lag. Thus allowing for superior punishes or positioning.

Btw just in case you are not sure, it's not just with neutral A, any Smash input (C-stick or manually) will also let you instant toss OOS. So it works with both weak and hard tosses.

Last edited:

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I know what you mean.

I'm saying not only could you do this in Brawl/PM, you also had the option of doing this WHILE sliding in any direction thanks to roll cancel glide tossing. Again without regular shield drop lag. Thus allowing for superior punishes or positioning.

Btw just in case you are not sure, it's not just with neutral A, any Smash input (C-stick or manually) will also let you instant toss OOS. So it works with both weak and hard tosses.
Yeah i understood that and agree

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm talking about major upsets due to game mechanics essentially overriding skill. E.g., a player outplaying their opponent the entire set losing due to rage, is probably the worst the game can get. This does not happen very frequently, and even random examples of losses are due to a combination of factors I've gone into repeatedly at this point.

I dunno what to say. When Mew2King dives like an idiot into an SD or ANTi's brain is in another realm where he randomly Nairs at the ledge letting Xaltis punish him into a KO because of Smashville's silly platform, I can't help but say that, maybe, just maybe, they weren't doing their best for whatever reason. People bring the same thing up when Mang0 SDs a bunch in Melee. It's just visible by the mistakes players make.

I mean, how is it a bad excuse? When you have viciously consistent players who almost never lose to unworthy or "lesser" opponents, what else is there to say other than "Some of the top players make more mistakes"? Dabuz and Mr. R are frighteningly consistent and virtually never lose sets to players who aren't absolutely amazing at the game. ZeRo is noted to let things get to his head, so he loses sets he shouldn't be losing. How is it the game's fault when you're harshly punished for being punished for making mistakes? The players in-game are fully aware of the stakes.

It's a game where it's demonstrably possible to be consistent at, as some top players are remarkably consistent and have relatively untarnished records. When certain players pop up having tons of set losses, one might begin to question the player, not the game. I don't assume Trela is losing because of skill gaps, I assume it's because he's an inconsistent player even though consistent players exist.

This argument falls apart as soon as you look at results from all the other Smash games. Are Smash 4 top players special snowflakes despite most of them coming from Brawl?
Results from games that have been around over a decade? I've addressed this numerous times whenever this subject comes up. These are very difficult games to compare, and referencing the consistency of Melee over a decade vs. the consistency of Sm4sh over less than 20% of that time, when both games have radically different histories, is a bad comparison. Melee did not have a supermajor within a a few months of its release with 1k players. Melee did not have weeklies with 80-100+ entrants in every metropolitan region. Melee had a comparatively tiny playerbase at the start of its competitive era in comparison to Smash 4.

The fact that a decent few of them come from Brawl isn't super relevant considering the "most of them" argument almost implies the rankings are even remotely similar, when they're mostly not. There were players that jumped significantly and players that dropped off entirely. The games aren't the same.

Why is it so hard to admit the game itself might be a factor?
It's not? I've noted that the game has a lower skill floor due to a lack of similarly obscene amounts of tech skill required, even referencing it as a primary cause for a lack of upsets in Melee since it's required. This naturally increases the likelihood of upsets.

As for Nairo's post he doesn't explain inconsistency either. All he really says is that there are way more killers now. We all already know there are way more threats in Smash 4, that's not the question, the question is why? Why is the skill gap so close compared to previous games?
"why are there a ton of good players in this extremely popular game that only just stopped receiving meta-shifting patches 3 months ago"

i feel like this is what you're asking, honestly, and I'm 99% sure the same logic could probably be applied to Street Fighter.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
At any rate it's a testament to how much Smash 4 has toned things down when Diddy who had his best tool drastically nerfed since Brawl, is still considered the best character in the game.

Granted, he did get significant buffs. A way better down tilt/upSmash, grab combos and Fsmash (thanks to nerfed SDI). But he also got drastically nerfed kill power on fair and uair. So regardless, whenever I try to compare the two Diddy iterations, Smash 4 Diddy still seems pretty weak.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Smash 4 Diddy will always seem weak when compared to a Diddy that could banana infinite people.

It's literally going from a 10/10 to a 9.85/10. Yes, it's objectively inferior, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who thinks Diddy would be writing heartfelt letters of apologies to Sakurai asking for his second banana back.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking about major upsets due to game mechanics essentially overriding skill. E.g., a player outplaying their opponent the entire set losing due to rage, is probably the worst the game can get. This does not happen very frequently, and even random examples of losses are due to a combination of factors I've gone into repeatedly at this point.

I dunno what to say. When Mew2King dives like an idiot into an SD or ANTi's brain is in another realm where he randomly Nairs at the ledge letting Xaltis punish him into a KO because of Smashville's silly platform, I can't help but say that, maybe, just maybe, they weren't doing their best for whatever reason. People bring the same thing up when Mang0 SDs a bunch in Melee. It's just visible by the mistakes players make.

I mean, how is it a bad excuse? When you have viciously consistent players who almost never lose to unworthy or "lesser" opponents, what else is there to say other than "Some of the top players make more mistakes"? Dabuz and Mr. R are frighteningly consistent and virtually never lose sets to players who aren't absolutely amazing at the game. ZeRo is noted to let things get to his head, so he loses sets he shouldn't be losing. How is it the game's fault when you're harshly punished for being punished for making mistakes? The players in-game are fully aware of the stakes.

It's a game where it's demonstrably possible to be consistent at, as some top players are remarkably consistent and have relatively untarnished records. When certain players pop up having tons of set losses, one might begin to question the player, not the game. I don't assume Trela is losing because of skill gaps, I assume it's because he's an inconsistent player even though consistent players exist.

Results from games that have been around over a decade? I've addressed this numerous times whenever this subject comes up. These are very difficult games to compare, and referencing the consistency of Melee over a decade vs. the consistency of Sm4sh over less than 20% of that time, when both games have radically different histories, is a bad comparison. Melee did not have a supermajor within a a few months of its release with 1k players. Melee did not have weeklies with 80-100+ entrants in every metropolitan region. Melee had a comparatively tiny playerbase at the start of its competitive era in comparison to Smash 4.

The fact that a decent few of them come from Brawl isn't super relevant considering the "most of them" argument almost implies the rankings are even remotely similar, when they're mostly not. There were players that jumped significantly and players that dropped off entirely. The games aren't the same.

It's not? I've noted that the game has a lower skill floor due to a lack of similarly obscene amounts of tech skill required, even referencing it as a primary cause for a lack of upsets in Melee since it's required. This naturally increases the likelihood of upsets.

"why are there a ton of good players in this extremely popular game that only just stopped receiving meta-shifting patches 3 months ago"

i feel like this is what you're asking, honestly, and I'm 99% sure the same logic could probably be applied to Street Fighter.
My mistake in that case. If you can admit the game itself plays a significant role, we're not in overall disagreement. I thought your argument was always that the game had nothing to do with it despite the evidence to the contrary.

As for the game being new, you have to realize 2016 is not the same as 2004. We have so many more and better resources now. Guides, videos, forums, online play etc. As a result growth can be expected to happen at a far faster rate. It's not unreasonable to expect a little bit more consistency almost 2 years after a game's release.

A guy who wins a super major getting 33rd at the very next one is strange no matter how you slice it (Anti). Or M2K losing to a Luigi in pools that's probably not even ranked top 200, then defeating Ally and Zero (who are ranked top 5 in the world) at the next tournament.

As for Street Fighter I played a ton of 4 and have somewhat followed 5. While they definitely have their share of upsets and they are certainly much more common than Melee or Brawl, I'd still rank Smash 4 higher on the upset scale. Top Street Fighter players almost never lose in pools. Even in Street Fighter 5 which has a drastically lower skill floor than 4.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Nor did he put Falco or Doc, which is a complete joke as theory and practice wise they are for sure,100%, low tier.

I swear he did that just to seem "different" for more views. Idk. But to think either of them are low tier is pretty absurd. I even think Zard is better/has more potential then those two.

And Shulk of course isn't going to be low tier cause "Potential" and Zero uses him. Didnt he put him upper mid last time? Ridiculous.

I just don't really agree with Zero's list so far, except for the fact that he put default Swordsman last. That character I think really is the worst. At least he has a super powerful uair, i guess.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
My mistake in that case. If you can admit the game itself plays a significant role, we're not in overall disagreement. I thought your argument was always that the game had nothing to do with it despite the evidence to the contrary.

As for the game being new, you have to realize 2016 is not the same as 2004. We have so many more and better resources now. Guides, videos, forums, online play etc. As a result growth can be expected to happen at a far faster rate. It's not unreasonable to expect a little bit more consistency almost 2 years after a game's release.

A guy who wins a super major getting 33rd at the very next one is strange no matter how you slice it (Anti). Or M2K losing to a Luigi in pools that's probably not even ranked top 200, then defeating Ally and Zero (who are ranked top 5 in the world) at the next tournament.

As for Street Fighter I played a ton of 4 and have somewhat followed 5. While they definitely have their share of upsets and they are certainly much more common than Melee or Brawl, I'd still rank Smash 4 higher on the upset scale. Top Street Fighter players almost never lose in pools. Even in Street Fighter 5 which has a drastically lower skill floor than 4.
I feel like this is an argument against consistency, if anything. If growth happens at a faster rate, wouldn't this mean that the average player base is also growing at a faster rate, meaning that upsets are more likely to happen? Neverminding the fact that the version of the game we're playing right now has not been the same game for the past two years.

Anyways, I tend to side with Das Koopa's side in this argument, seeing as he's coming at with statistics and analysis, where you just keep going off...gut feelings, it seems.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer

If growth happens at a faster rate for all players due to more readily available info, top players are actually more likely to lose.

EDIT: Beaten lol

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 Diddy will always seem weak when compared to a Diddy that could banana infinite people.

It's literally going from a 10/10 to a 9.85/10. Yes, it's objectively inferior, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who thinks Diddy would be writing heartfelt letters of apologies to Sakurai asking for his second banana back.
Exactly. Brawl Diddy would be in a tier of his own in Smash 4. As would any other Brawl/Melee top tier.

Which is my point. Diddy despite all the nerfs and despite not not even being the best in Brawl, is still considered the best character now which shows how much Smash 4 has nerfed characters in general.

It's why I personally never feel like I'm fighting a top tier in this game no matter who it is.

After years of playing against Brawl and Melee's top tiers, no character in this game particularly amazing to me. Top tiers just feel like above average characters in this game, nothing really special.

I feel like this is an argument against consistency, if anything. If growth happens at a faster rate, wouldn't this mean that the average player base is also growing at a faster rate, meaning that upsets are more likely to happen? Neverminding the fact that the version of the game we're playing right now has not been the same game for the past two years.

Anyways, I tend to side with Das Koopa's side in this argument, seeing as he's coming at with statistics and analysis, where you just keep going off...gut feelings, it seems.
I've backed up my claims about the game being inconsistent citing both results and objective factors about the game. In fact Das Koopa isn't disagreeing either. The only argument is why it's happening.

If the argument for the game being inconsistent is that it's new, then it's implying as time goes by (Ie the meta advances) players will establish themselves. So if the meta advances at a faster rate than top players should become more dominant more quickly.

You can't have it both ways. You can't both claim the game is new which is why top players often get upset and then when I point out 2 years is a lot of time in the current climate, completely reverse your argument to mean the exact opposite thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom