• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I'm pretty sure the Pac-Man/Greninja MU is in Greninja's favor. From what I remember Venia has a pretty good win count on Sinji and I'm not sure how much Pac-Man experience iStudying has, Pac-Man can be really disorienting to go against if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
After seeing Falln vs NAKAT, I'm curious as to how Pikachu was considered to have a good MU vs Rosa. can anyone explain?

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
After seeing Falln vs NAKAT, I'm curious as to how Pikachu was considered to have a good MU vs Rosa. can anyone explain?
It probably has to do with Pikachu's supposed great edge guarding game combined with Rosa's very exploitable recovery.

Except in this case Falln was mixing up his recovery so well, it didn't matter. Nakat didn't get a single edge guard off and thus really struggled at killing as Pikachu often does.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
NAKAT made a lot of bad moves. Screwing up Quick Attack sooo many times wasn't helping, either.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
So here's a low tier character that nobody really talks about:

Falco.

What happened with him? He has absolutely zero representation whatsoever and is completely ignored. Some so called bottom tier characters that are worse have higher representation than him, and he's completely overlooked in just about every region. Why is his representation so horrible, even compared to some characters definitively worse than him? It's not like Falco is incredibly hard to use, even if he's not great. He has fewer reps than anyone on the roster except for maybe Charizard.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
PPT Summer (188 entrants)
Top 8

1st: Abadango :4mewtwo:(Undefeated)
2nd: Ixis :4sonic: (Sent to losers by Abadango, eliminated by Abadango)
3rd: quik :4zss: (Sent to losers by Hoe4U, eliminated by Ixis)
4th: Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman: (Sent to losers by Sodrek, eliminated by quik
5th: Sodrek :4fox::4cloud:(Sent to losers by Ixis, eliminated by quik)
5th: iStudying :4greninja: (Sent to losers by Abadango, eliminated by Elexiao)
7th: LoNg0uw :4rob::4cloud: (Sent to losers by Abadango, eliminated by quik)
7th: Patrino :4ryu: (Double eliminated by Elexiao, 2-0d and 3-0d)

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Why is his representation so horrible, even compared to some characters definitively worse than him?
Same reason as for why not many people play Doctor Mario competitively: Because there is a similar character (in Falco's case, Fox) who is top tier.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
So here's a low tier character that nobody really talks about:

Falco.

What happened with him? He has absolutely zero representation whatsoever and is completely ignored. Some so called bottom tier characters that are worse have higher representation than him, and he's completely overlooked in just about every region. Why is his representation so horrible, even compared to some characters definitively worse than him? It's not like Falco is incredibly hard to use, even if he's not great. He has fewer reps than anyone on the roster except for maybe Charizard.
Falco generally only has his amazing frame data to hold foes off, he doesn't have any crazy option that most good characters have, and most of his staple tools were completely gutted, leaving him a shell of his former self. He also needs to be pretty consistent with all his tools to have a chance.
His poor representation is due to nerfs, plus a completely warped playstyle from past games. I can see him doing work with a good player who can master his movement options, as well as maximising his advantage every way possible. But his flaws usually scare any potential players away.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think this might just be the only time we'll get to see 2 Greninja in top 8 of a big tournament like this.

Well unless iStudy and Elexiao attend more tournaments together.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Be Smash 2016 Top 48 Winners Side (Dominican Republic)

Triple A :4ryu: v :4cloud2: Digital Strider
RR KeeKay :4greninja: v :4bowserjr: SS Rikar
Sharpy :4charizard: v :4megaman: SS Striker
SG 0mart :4falcon::4bowser: v :4sheik: SS| Cabellito
Gran Papin :4mario: v :4villager: KXR Don Neko
OoC Naranja :4corrinf: v :4fox: Javon
R.R. Stark :4zss: v :4ryu: Xelim
Capitancito :4ness::4feroy: v :4sonic: Flete

some guys from Losers side I identified from skimming the vod
DantelinkX :4bayonetta:
Sin Xero :4marth:
Maco Generico #33 :4luigi:
FDC Monra :4villager:
KXR Coki :4fox:
El Yey :4rob:
SSS DACS :4fox:
Lohaza :4diddy:
KXR Bosco :4tlink:
SSJD/Izi :4rob:
Gam Dr. Ray :4mario:
SST Lasu :4peach:
SST Sonikku :rosalina:
SSJD Turok :4dedede:
Mr. Cacao :4diddy:
RR Shin :4ryu:
SMITH :4mewtwo:
SS Jager :4mario:

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Well pink fresh stopped tyrant again.
I think the majority of the community saw esam's tweets/videos abbout sdi post pach and just concluded bayo is bad.
They also forgot you need to sdi to make bayo look bad

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Well pink fresh stopped tyrant again.
I think the majority of the community saw esam's tweets/videos abbout sdi post pach and just concluded bayo is bad.
They also forgot you need to sdi to make bayo look bad
It seems SDI is only effective vs Bayonetta during her combo starters, not during the middle of combos. In other words unless you made a mistake and were anticipating the move and buffering SDI already, it's likely not going to make a difference.

I have yet to see anyone get out in the middle.

I mean it's like saying Diddy is bad because you can technically catch his banana as he throws it at you. Just press A.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
top 8 at KTAR Saga

Larry Lurr vs. Marss
Pink Fresh vs. Mr. R

VoiD vs. Zan (!!!)
Falln vs. Tyrant

Tons of bustering at this tourney lol

It's gonna be category 2 btw. Ally, ZeRo, Nairo, and Dabuz are all not present, Zinoto had to cancel, etc. It was looking like a major to start with but naaaaah.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
The fact that all those people dropped and Zan is the only non-big name in the top 8 is still impressive.

Also, looks like Zan is stepping up for :4tlink: now that Hyuga's out of commission.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Falco generally only has his amazing frame data to hold foes off, he doesn't have any crazy option that most good characters have, and most of his staple tools were completely gutted, leaving him a shell of his former self. He also needs to be pretty consistent with all his tools to have a chance.
His poor representation is due to nerfs, plus a completely warped playstyle from past games. I can see him doing work with a good player who can master his movement options, as well as maximising his advantage every way possible. But his flaws usually scare any potential players away.
I disagree with Falco having amazing frame data.
Yes, he has overall very fast attacks, but there are some problems.
For example, his aerials overall have a lot of landing lag, and he only has 2 SHACs.
He also has some notable ending lag on some other moves.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
This was still a very strong placing for Zan, he even surprised himself haha. I get that Toon Link is a sensitive topic or whatever, but please don't just compare Zan to Hyuga baselessly. They are fundamentally different players; Hyuga always kept things simple and was very good at adapting, whereas Zan is a very technical player, with plenty of bomb tricks and tech up his sleeves. He doesn't go to as many majors as Hyuga did, so don't expect the same level of results. He's hella good though, I hope he gets out to stuff and takes the game more seriously.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
User was warned for this post
what the **** is Tyrant doing

[BROF]

Smash Apprentice
Can't help but cheer for Pink Fresh anytime he's playing now. He's really creative with his combos, very situational and DI-mixups involved in creating them.
Players sticking to their guns once an overpowered character gets brought down a peg are true bros.
Maybe I can cheer for Machaboo in GG now as well...

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
MKLeo attended Orbit in Quebec today. Not too many notable players and only 51 entrants though. Here are the results: https://smash.gg/tournament/orbit-b...sh-bros-wii-u-200/brackets/13132/54508/178916

1. MKLeo :4marth::4metaknight::4tlink::4cloud::4mewtwo:
2. HoH | Venom :4ryu:
3. Holy :4rob:
4. Darkwolf :4shulk:
5. Sensuel :4fox:
5. Stoumbert :4marth:
7. Fwed :4fox:
7. Guiltymuffin :4peach:

Leo was 3-2 over Venom in WFs using mainly Toon Link, Venom reset 3-1 after Leo opted for a mix of Marth, TL and Cloud. Leo proceeded to 3-0 Venom with Meta Knight after the bracket reset.

Tofer :4miisword: made 9th btw.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Also watched Some vs Shu at Umebura 24 today. This was Some's first tournament since the Sheik nerfs and he's seemingly doing a lot better in the matchup since he last played. First stock was extremely close. He got timed out in the end though once he got the stock lead. This match along with iStudying and Elexiao's matches with Light in the Germany vs World crew battle at PPT today are showing that the matchup is certainly pretty doable, but it gets really hard if Greninja is behind a stock.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Pink Fresh trying to show that he's better than Saj. Damn, he's impressive.

Still think Saj is better but they tie placings at every major since the nerfs except CEO.

That was one of the best sets I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I disagree with Falco having amazing frame data.
Yes, he has overall very fast attacks, but there are some problems.
For example, his aerials overall have a lot of landing lag, and he only has 2 SHACs.
He also has some notable ending lag on some other moves.
Uh, no he does not. It's pretty average, but average landing lag is high in Smash 4. His landing lag average, which doesn't really matter, is actually lower than Fox's. Falco's Nair, Uair, and Bair (15), Dair (23), and Fair (25) total up to 93 and divided by 5 is 18.6 while Fox's Nair (11), Bair (15), Uair (22), Dair (25), and Fair (27) total up to 100 for a 20 landing lag average. Before 1.0.8, Falco's Fair had 32 landing frames which would make his total 100, so 20 average.

Fox also only has 2 aerials, Uair and Bair, the same as Falco's, that are auto-cancelable from hops, so your point being? One of the best characters, Sheik, has 3, Nair, Fair, and Bair. Cloud only has 3 without meter, Nair, Uair, and Bair; with meter, he can only auto-cancel Nair and Uair from a hop. Since Cloud's jump is pretty low, it doesn't really matter since like most characters, he can auto-cancel all of his aerials from a jump.

His other moves also have average recovery. What are these "some other moves"? Outside of Blaster which is a pile of horse crap, Falco Phantasm which still has lower recovery than Fox's when used on the ground, but the same when used in the air, and Reflector which has high active frames, is a reflect so they probably don't want to spam it, and is transcendent, I can't really think of any moves he has that are over average in recovery.

Not to you, but where the hell do people get this idea that Falco's recovery or end lag as some people call it, is so terrible that Ike's Smashes seem like they have low recovery? Where is this disinformation coming from? It's freaking disinformation when it seems like this false information is deliberately spread for some reason.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Pink Fresh vs Marss was probably the hypest match I've ever seen.

Anyone who says either of those two characters has fallen from glory NEEDS to watch that.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
MKLeo attended Orbit in Quebec today. Not too many notable players and only 51 entrants though. Here are the results: https://smash.gg/tournament/orbit-b...sh-bros-wii-u-200/brackets/13132/54508/178916

1. MKLeo :4marth::4metaknight::4tlink::4cloud::4mewtwo:
2. HoH | Venom :4ryu:
3. Holy :4rob:
4. Darkwolf :4shulk:
5. Sensuel :4fox:
5. Stoumbert :4marth:
7. Fwed :4fox:
7. Guiltymuffin :4peach:

Leo was 3-2 over Venom in WFs using mainly Toon Link, Venom reset 3-1 after Leo opted for a mix of Marth, TL and Cloud. Leo proceeded to 3-0 Venom with Meta Knight after the bracket reset.

Tofer :4miisword: made 9th btw.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Also watched Some vs Shu at Umebura 24 today. This was Some's first tournament since the Sheik nerfs and he's seemingly doing a lot better in the matchup since he last played. First stock was extremely close. He got timed out in the end though once he got the stock lead. This match along with iStudying and Elexiao's matches with Light in the Germany vs World crew battle at PPT today are showing that the matchup is certainly pretty doable, but it gets really hard if Greninja is behind a stock.
Hol' up SOME IS AT A TOURNEY?

Today is a good greninja day.

:150:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Because Sheik-DK is apparently close to even. I'd say it's 55-45 Sheik because you always have to be careful about the ding-dong and you're generally killing DK at 160+.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
From what I've heard...

2manycooks (Doc main) made 33rd at 2GGT: Ktar Saga, which is a National.
Quite impressive.

EDIT: It's regional.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
From what I've heard...

2manycooks (Doc main) made 33rd at 2GGT: Ktar Saga, which is a National.
Quite impressive.

EDIT: It's regional.
Unfortunate run & poor choices kind of dictated his run:
He fought Impose, a Bowser main, who he lost to 2-0. It was fairly close with Doc, but for whatever reason, 2MC decides to go for DK Game 2, which kind of fails miserably. In losers finals, he gets the runback 2-0 against Impose, beating Rideae in the process in loser's semis. Unfortunately, he falls straight against VoiD in R1 of Losers Top 48, which he loses 2-1, which is still fairly decent, but leaves him just outside of Top 32. I'm kind of sad about this result, it's not bad but it could have been a lot better

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Btw anyone who doesn't think Bayonetta is good needs to wake up. Pink Fresh getting to grands at a SoCal event is pretty legit, so you can't even tell me she can't make it in bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom