• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
top level sheik seems to body cloud
mid and high level cloud beats almost everyone effortlessly.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
in the history of this game has any character ever been half of a top 8? maybe original diddy was at least once but this is a major and we are seeing just how dominate cloud is in matchups against other high tiers.
also the mindset of "just gimp cloud" may need to be revised. only person i saw gimp a cloud was another cloud and it was a trade i believe. the character's weakness seems to only be on paper not in practice.
also glad to see an aggro sonic in supergirl do so well it will open up discussion on hat is actually "optimized play"
lastly RIP bayo. zero representation at apex and one player at LTC.

TheGlove

Smash Cadet
Apex top 8
Winners Edit: they changed winners to avoid Dabuz 1st seed and Void 2nd Seed playing immediately
Dabuz :rosalina:Vs SuperGirlKels :4sonic:

Void :4sheik: vs Marrs:4zss:

Losers

M2k :4cloud2:vs Dmg James:4cloud2::4luigi:

Nietono :4diddy:vs Tweek:4cloud2:

9th
Mr E :4marth:Rain :4cloud2::4diddy:The Great Gonzales :4ness:Umeki:4peach:

13th
Day :4lucario:Pugwest :4marth:Raptor :4yoshi:6WX:4sonic:

17th
ADHD:4diddy: Vash :4marth: John# :4wiifit:C3PO:4diddy: Sinji:4pacman: Mister Eric:4rob: Biddy :4tlink:Minty:4megaman:

Edit: Thanks to Juddy96, ligersandtigons, and Peppermint1201 for corrections

Brackey https://smash.gg/tournament/apex-2016/brackets/11350/40438/135040 (not sure if I did this right)

Kels has a hard bracket has to play the 2nd best zss in the world and if she loses, which is likely, she has to play the winner of Nietono and Tweek.

Also check out https://www.twitch.tv/gooshigaming (on break right now) for Breakout III feat. Ally, Zinoto, Seagull Joe, Rayquaza, Ryuga, Blacktwins, LOE1 etc

First time seeing Rayquaza and Ryuga in a while. Ryuga was playing corrin in doubles.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
I didn't see the match but usually aggro :4sonic: gets eaten hard by :4peach:. Peach doesn't have the movement speed to catch a campy Sonic though.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
in the history of this game has any character ever been half of a top 8? maybe original diddy was at least once but this is a major and we are seeing just how dominate cloud is in matchups against other high tiers.
also the mindset of "just gimp cloud" may need to be revised. only person i saw gimp a cloud was another cloud and it was a trade i believe. the character's weakness seems to only be on paper not in practice.
also glad to see an aggro sonic in supergirl do so well it will open up discussion on hat is actually "optimized play"
Yeah people act like gimping is a reliable thing in Smash 4 for most characters, it really isn't, especially versus Cloud with his massive disjoints. If you're playing a braindead Cloud than maybe. If Cloud mixes up his recovery even slightly it becomes impossible to do consistently.

And if you do try to gimp Cloud and mess up, he can ledge jump dair gimp you himself.

If anything I'd argue Rosa is a lot easier to edge guard. A slow up B with no hitbox allowing one to air-air it with literally any move they wish. Sure she can up B again but you can rinse and repeat until she's dead.

juddy96

Smash Lord
ikep got 3rd/180 literally today at Sumabato with only Bayo. Lost to HIKARU in round 3 and made a huge losers run. And yes its a different Vash, mac Vash is from Vegas, this Vash is from Philly or NJ i think

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN

Yeah Umeki!

It's always really exciting to see a Peach place so high. Who's streaming this?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was Nairo at APEX?

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
edit

nevermind I'm dumb

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
So a lot of the time when edgeguarding Cloud is brought up a common argument brought up is Cloud's aerial mobility. While Cloud is very mobile in the air, Captain Falcon has extremely similar aerial mobility stats, yet his recovery is considered bad at best. What is it about Non-Limit Cloud that gives him a better recovery than Captain Falcon?
Giant disjointed aerials with generous AC windows. Also his Up-B when going high can have a hitbox on the way down. Cloud recovering low is worse than Falcon, but he covers himself much better when going high.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
The more I hear about these Smash 4 upsets the more I respect Zero's streak. Smash 4 is clearly not a game that's easy for even the best players to be consistent at. Nairo recently losing to Bowser, Ally to Game and Watch. Not like these characters are top tier either. It really does seem like anyone can be upset. So for Zero to remain dominant for so long...it's really unbelievable.

Seriously, how did he never run into a wacky matchup he didn't know? When every other week you hear about other top players being upset by random mid tiers or unknown high/top tier players?

Last edited:

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
ikep got 3rd/180 literally today at Sumabato with only Bayo. Lost to HIKARU in round 3 and made a huge losers run. And yes its a different Vash, mac Vash is from Vegas, this Vash is from Philly or NJ i think
He's from Philadelphia, I've played him on wifi several times. He uses Marth.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Giant disjointed aerials with generous AC windows. Also his Up-B when going high can have a hitbox on the way down. Cloud recovering low is worse than Falcon, but he covers himself much better when going high.
This is a fair assessment, but if he's recovering high Cloud is vulnerable to the blindspot he suffers from down and to his right. You're not guaranteed to hit him per se, but you are at a significant advantage. Again, Cloud being offstage is not a done deal, he's not absolutely 100% screwed, but it is a weakness that should be exploited more.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Apex top 8
Winners
Dabuz :rosalina:Vs Void:4sheik:

SuperGirlKels :4sonic:vs Marrs:4zss:

Losers

M2k :4cloud2:vs Dmg James:4cloud2:

9th

13th

17th
ADHD:4diddy: Vash ? (Edit: thank you Juddy96) John# :4wiifit:C3PO:4diddy: Sinji:4pacman: Mister Eric:4rob: Biddy ? Minty:4megaman:

Brackey https://smash.gg/tournament/apex-2016/brackets/11350/40438/135040 (not sure if I did this right)

Kels has a hard bracket has to play the 2nd best zss in the world and if she loses, which is likely, she has to play the winner of Nietono and Tweek.

Also check out https://www.twitch.tv/gooshigaming (on break right now) for Breakout III feat. Ally, Zinoto, Seagull Joe, Rayquaza, Ryuga, Blacktwins, LOE1 etc

First time seeing Rayquaza and Ryuga in a while. Ryuga was playing corrin in doubles.
Biddy is a Toon Link player

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I think having 3 Clouds in top 8 mostly has to do with the players in attendance. Look at all the other top 8s recently. Cloud isn't that big an issue.

Also Biddy got 17th? Nice job, friendo. And yeah, he's a local Toon Link.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Are there entrant #s for Breakout III and Smash Factor Prelude? research turns up no luck on either end

Emerald City and Smash at Church 6(?) both broke 100 so that's pretty good

Edit: Found Prelude's bracket. It hit 100. No idea on Breakout though lol

Edit 2: Chat at GooshiGaming informed me it hit 96 at Breakout. Excellente.

Last edited:

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
Apex top 8
Winners
Dabuz :rosalina:Vs Void:4sheik:

SuperGirlKels :4sonic:vs Marrs:4zss:

Losers

M2k :4cloud2:vs Dmg James:4cloud2:

9th

13th

17th
ADHD:4diddy: Vash ? (Edit: thank you Juddy96) John# :4wiifit:C3PO:4diddy: Sinji:4pacman: Mister Eric:4rob: Biddy ? Minty:4megaman:

i saw dmg james play and win a set with Luigi on stream btw

Djent

Smash Champion
So like ESAM, Ally was also reseeded into winners. He fought Zinoto R1 and won. Now Zinoto is in losers and Ally has reasonably easy bracket until semis.

I hate reseeding so much. :facepalm: Other players who qualify in winners shouldn't be punished for one top player's mistake.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Can we discuss why upsets in Smash 4 are so common when it's not like this at all in previous Smash games? My reasons would be:

1. 2 stock format.

For obvious reasons less stocks = more chance of lesser players winning especially if they rely on gimmicks (tactics that work due to unfamiliarity only). It's much harder to outplay top players in longer sets.

2. Character Balance.

In previous Smash games if you mained a top tier character and were good enough with them you invalidated just about every low-mid tier character. But in this game the gap is smaller between top tier characters and everyone else than it has ever been (with the exception of PM which also tends to have tons of upsets). It's not enough to play a top tier anymore, you still have to respect and know these low-mid tier matchups much more than before. And with a cast of 55 characters, that's far from easy.

3. Rage.

In no other Smash game do you get rewarded for losing with more potential kill power. In this game you either fish for kills/go for hard reads (which is risky in of itself) or play solid neutral and let the kills come to you (what generally works well in previous Smash games). If you choose to play the latter more solid style, then there's a good chance your opponent will live to percents where rage becomes a huge factor. Outplay someone in neutral to 150+, only to get hit once by a rogue Smash attack and die at 80. This happens all the time in this game.

Last edited:

TheGlove

Smash Cadet
Breakout III Seagull Joe :4sonic: beats Ryuga :4corrinf: 2-1 last game Seagull won as Ryuga got stretchered by the town and city platforms while Joe was dying off the top.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
4. The overall jank surrounding this game.
srsly.
SRSLY.
:196:
As a PM player idk if that's true for this game. Most characters follow the same set of rules. With Project M a lot of characters could literally pass as being from completely different fighting games. This game seems pretty tame in comparison.

Last edited:

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Seagull Joe vs ryuga goes to show why you need to be aware of the stage sometimes or else you die lol

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Awareness? Naw man, that is for casuals who like to play on Halberd and Kalos.
The true way is the BF/FD/SV (pls ignore its platform shenanigans, it's the fairest stage, as a Sheik main I swear it is!).

But real talk, ever since Brawl came out, and continuing the trend with Smash 4, VERY few people actually consider stages as a factor to keep in mind, close to no tournament regulars paid attention to them (much less learn them), then they complained when something happened to them (because they are not important unless it happens to me), and eventually shrunk the stagelist to the very minimum.
I can only hope these plays have no consequences for stage legality.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN

That reminds me of the time I side-b'd on the Smashville platform as corrin. I killed my opponent, but I died first >.<

This game is NUTS.

Also, is SuperGirlKels still in?

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Time to analyze this match.
Game 1: Mzzkc was so far away from the lead because of the constant air dodges that Daigon capitalized on. I don't agree with the Up Smash at 0:16, though. Daigon could've done Up Air or Neutral Air, maybe Forward Air if the hitbox was lenient enough to connect. At 1:59 Daigon should have known better about the frame data on Pikachu's Forward Smash. I have attempted to punish that move with Force Palm myself and usually fail at getting at least the grab hitbox. Daigon should have done a Dash Attack or read that roll and done a Force Palm or Up Smash. If only Mzzkc remembered that Aura Sphere was already fully charged at 2:18. Lucario's Aura Sphere has more priority over Thunder Jolt.

Game 2: At 5:47 was a nice, classic Lucario combo that was able to add 20% more to Pikachu's damage. I agree with the commentators at 7:18. If
Daigon were in that magnifying glass any longer, that hoop damage could've been enough to take his stock from such a Forward Smash. But yes. Mzzkc should have done Up Smash instead. At 7:41, Daigon learned not to punish with Force Palm; he did Dash Attack like I said he should have done in Game 1. Finally 8:07 shows how scary Lucario is at max rage, though not max aura in this case.

By the way, the commentators say that Shiek loses to Lucario. I welcome hopping on that bandwagon again.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Awareness? Naw man, that is for casuals who like to play on Halberd and Kalos.
The true way is the BF/FD/SV (pls ignore its platform shenanigans, it's the fairest stage, as a Sheik main I swear it is!).

But real talk, ever since Brawl came out, and continuing the trend with Smash 4, VERY few people actually consider stages as a factor to keep in mind, close to no tournament regulars paid attention to them (much less learn them), then they complained when something happened to them (because they are not important unless it happens to me), and eventually shrunk the stagelist to the very minimum.
I can only hope these plays have no consequences for stage legality.
It probably won't, if Lylat has survived for this long. The stage problem is probably not helped by smashboards having nowhere to discuss stages either, though

Last edited:

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
Marths gonna get more good results yet again. Leo flawlessly 3-0'd Serge(from Lucario to Cloud to Marth) who took Mr R to game 5 in winners. He's used a bit of Cloud however.
Leo also just 3-0 ed Mr. R's Sheik in Grand Finals 1 of Smash Factor with Solo Marth. Bracket Reset now. https://www.twitch.tv/smashfactorgaming

EDIT: Leo Up 2-0 in Grand Finals 2 with solo Marth....

Final Edit: Leo's solo Marth loses Grand finals 2 with a 2-3 score.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
4. The overall jank surrounding this game.
srsly.
SRSLY.
thats not jank. lack of awareness is his fault. hes on a counterpick stage on a platform everyone knows is dangerous.
the funny thing is i could never see this happening to a causual player like ever.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Smash Factor Prelude (June 18th) (Mexico) (85 Entrants) (Category 1)
1st: Mr. R :4sheik:
2nd: MKLeo :4marth:, :4cloud2:
3rd: Wonf :4sonic:, :4bayonetta:
4th: Pollo :4bowser:
5th: Klein :4ryu:
5th: Serge :4lucario:, :4cloud2:
7th: Javi :4sheik:, :4ness:
7th: Chag :4bayonetta:
9th: SF Lazh :4falcon:
9th: D. Elvis :4fox:
9th: SF Citi :4gaw:
9th: Cloudy :4cloud2:
13th: HY-And :4yoshi:
13th: CS Kaze :4falcon:
13th: Bryan Z :4sheik:, :4mario:, :4diddy:
13th: Manzano :4peach:

9th-13th was a puzzle to piece together but i did it with vods/PRs

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
Smash Factor Prelude (June 18th) (Mexico) (100 Entrants) (Category 1)
1st: Mr. R :4sheik:
2nd: MKLeo :4marth:, :4cloud2:
3rd: Wonf :4sonic:, :4bayonetta:
4th: Pollo :4bowser:
5th: Klein :4ryu:
5th: Serge :4lucario:, :4cloud2:
7th: Javi :4sheik:, :4ness:
7th: Chag :4bayonetta:
9th: SF Lazh :4falcon:
9th: D. Elvis :4fox:
9th: SF Citi :4gaw:
9th: Cloudy :4cloud2: